Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread

+12
Rocinante
Heat Miser
Cameron
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
DWags
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
MiamiSpartan
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano 10/02/21, 06:34 pm

Imagine the hatred Republicans feel have when they see a black man saving democracy.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread

Post by tGreenWay 10/02/21, 07:12 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:Swalwell's presentation was equally as good as Plaskett's.

And I don't mean this in a legal or political sense, but the Plaskett and Swalwell presentations are a fantastic historical record of the events of one of the most significant days in US history. Seeing Officer Goodman directing Romney the other way, probably saving his life. Schumer and his detail going one way, then hightailing it the other way. Officers holding a line at the end of a hall on the background, while you see the Senators running out of the chamber in the foreground.

Agree that Swalwell was VG, but Stacey Plaskett was on another level. Her presentation was phenomenal. There were only a couple times where I would’ve coached her to dial it down a little bit, but only because it seemed (IMO) to be slightly contrived.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 10/02/21, 07:12 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Imagine the hatred Republicans feel have when they see a black man saving democracy.

Have you watched any of this trial?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 10/02/21, 07:21 pm

It’s been too cloudy. Bob’s little AM pocket radio hasn’t been able to get a signal and he does not own a TV. So he just drinks beer and does the daily chores assigned to him by Mrs. Bob without the joys of listening to the impeachment trial.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 10/02/21, 07:35 pm

Turtleneck wrote:It’s been too cloudy. Bob’s little AM pocket radio hasn’t been able to get a signal and he does not own a TV. So he just drinks beer and does the daily chores assigned to him by Mrs. Bob without the joys of listening to the impeachment trial.

BP 119/79
RHR 58
169lbs
31 waist
32 inseam
17" neck
33"sleeve
7" hat size
8 1/2 shoe
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 10/02/21, 07:38 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Imagine the hatred Republicans feel have when they see a black man saving democracy.

I'm sure his wife will show him some "clips" of it. And by "his wife", I mean himself. And by "show him some clips", I mean watched it all day long.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 10/02/21, 07:55 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

I havent.. my wife has read some stuff, showed me a few clips.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, tGreenWay and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 10/02/21, 07:57 pm

Turtleneck wrote:It’s been too cloudy. Bob’s little AM pocket radio hasn’t been able to get a signal and he does not own a TV. So he just drinks beer and does the daily chores assigned to him by Mrs. Bob without the joys of listening to the impeachment trial.
tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread - Page 2 502811600

27 years of wedded bliss.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 10/02/21, 10:02 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread - Page 2 502811600

I am sure you wedding day was the third greatest day of your life behind the birth of your child and App State beating UM.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 10/02/21, 10:37 pm

After what I saw today when this trial is done I think we should go for three.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 10/02/21, 11:07 pm

steveschneider wrote:After what I saw today when this trial is done I think we should go for three.

Is the Packers coach managing the impeachment now?

Last edited by Turtleneck on 11/02/21, 06:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/02/21, 06:28 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: tOfficial First Ever Second Impeachment Trial Thread - Page 2 502811600

I am sure you wedding day was the third greatest day of your life behind the birth of your child and App State beating UM.
been front row for Springsteen a few times, too.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/02/21, 06:45 am

When do we get to the part of this trial where Republicans act cowardly, do the wrong thing and we are all outraged?

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/02/21, 08:37 am

[tw]1359694370409177092?s=21[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 11/02/21, 10:08 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

been front row for Springsteen a few times, too.
Did he smell of hootch?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/02/21, 10:11 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: been front row for Springsteen a few times, too.
Did he smell of hootch?
we all did.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 11/02/21, 10:38 am

While I support the reasons he needed to be impeached, at this point I think it's just blunting the point for criminal prosecutions in the future and further galvenizing 74 million people.

This country is a shit hole.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/02/21, 11:23 am

kingstonlake wrote:While I support the reasons he needed to be impeached, at this point I think it's just blunting the point for criminal prosecutions in the future and further galvenizing 74 million people.

as I've said over and over again.. Republicans understand the long game. Demonize education, marginalize minorities (more than they already are), pit 'us versus them', glorify social media and connect it to the celebrity associated with the mainstream media.. make people with power and means (white people) feel vulnerable and under attack, and manipulate them accordingly.

a real dumbing down of America has paid off for them. I think (hope) the younger generation, who delivered us 2018 and 2020 electoral wins, can turn it around, but we need them to stay active and engaged.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 11/02/21, 11:39 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:While I support the reasons he needed to be impeached, at this point I think it's just blunting the point for criminal prosecutions in the future and further galvenizing 74 million people.

as I've said over and over again.. Republicans understand the long game. Demonize education, marginalize minorities (more than they already are), pit 'us versus them', glorify social media and connect it to the celebrity associated with the mainstream media.. make people with power and means (white people) feel vulnerable and under attack, and manipulate them accordingly.

a real dumbing down of America has paid off for them. I think (hope) the younger generation, who delivered us 2018 and 2020 electoral wins, can turn it around, but we need them to stay active and engaged.

You and a lot of other people have been saying that for about five years now, Bob.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 11/02/21, 11:46 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

You and a lot of other people have been saying that for about five years now, Bob.
yeah - I'm certainly not overly bright so when I can recognize it, you know it's pretty obvious.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/02/21, 12:14 pm

Anyone that paid attention yesterday saw how connected Trump was to January 6th and how he is culpable. Thehttps://www.npr.org/2021/02/01/962246187/spurred-by-the-capitol-riot-thousands-of-republicans-drop-their-partyand the senators are going to have to have their vote linked to acquitting Trump. After what I saw yesterday it became clear why the GOP didn't want this to go to trial, this is damaging for the GOP.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 11/02/21, 12:32 pm

steveschneider wrote:

Anyone that paid attention yesterday saw how connected Trump was to January 6th and how he is culpable. Thehttps://www.npr.org/2021/02/01/962246187/spurred-by-the-capitol-riot-thousands-of-republicans-drop-their-partyand the senators are going to have to have their vote linked to acquitting Trump. After what I saw yesterday it became clear why the GOP didn't want this to go to trial, this is damaging for the GOP.

People need to stop calling it a riot. It was an insurrection.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 11/02/21, 12:58 pm

People need to start calling out Rs for being the cowards they are.
Be a fucking man and convict this asshat regardless of your future primary you gutless turds.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 11/02/21, 01:20 pm

Just curious, how do you think it is blunting the point for criminal prosecution? Criminal prosecution will be a lot tougher regardless, as apparently the legal standard for criminal inciting of violence is a lot higher. But I don't see how this impacts it much.

And galvanizing the Trump supporters? Who the fuck cares? I'm not in favor of appeasing insurrectionists.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 11/02/21, 01:25 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:People need to start calling out Rs for being the cowards they are.
Be a fucking man and convict this asshat regardless of your future primary you gutless turds.

I mean, other than Trump supporters, is there anyone that HASN'T called them out as cowards?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 11/02/21, 02:20 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

yeah - I'm certainly not overly bright so when I can recognize it, you know it's pretty obvious.

I think you're pretty smart, Bob.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/02/21, 02:30 pm

Random tangent one thing that jumped out at me was the imagery of Schumer with his security detail that were armed with machine guns. Those guys looked like they were not going to fuck around and there was a part where they had to turn around because there were terrorists at the top of the stairs and they had to go out a different way.

Those people at the top of the stairs were lucky in my opinion...I think if anyone came with in sight of those guys they would have cut them right down.

Got me thinking though how much damage could have been avoided if the cops opened fire early on when the rioters started breaking in? The one application of lethal force kept insurrectionists going through the doors where representatives were at.  I'm also shocked more cops didn't open fire and I'm pretty sure if I was in that situation I would have especially if I saw one of my colleagues getting crushed in a door.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 11/02/21, 02:46 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

That might be the dumbest thing you've ever said.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 11/02/21, 02:49 pm

steveschneider wrote:Random tangent one thing that jumped out at me was the imagery of Schumer with his security detail that were armed with machine guns. Those guys looked like they were not going to fuck around and there was a part where they had to turn around because there were terrorists at the top of the stairs and they had to go out a different way.

Those people at the top of the stairs were lucky in my opinion...I think if anyone came with in sight of those guys they would have cut them right down.

Got me thinking though how much damage could have been avoided if the cops opened fire early on when the rioters started breaking in? The one application of lethal force kept insurrectionists going through the doors where representatives were at.  I'm also shocked more cops didn't open fire and I'm pretty sure if I was in that situation I would have especially if I saw one of my colleagues getting crushed in a door.
I never understood any of the sympathy for Ashli Babbitt. As far as I'm concerned, she got exactly what was coming to her, and quite a few more of them should have gotten it the same. If you storm a government building with the government officials inside with the express purpose of stopping them from carrying out their official duty (to say nothing of other much worse intentions), you should expect to be fired upon. This is America, after all. Our cops shoot people.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 11/02/21, 02:52 pm

steveschneider wrote:Random tangent one thing that jumped out at me was the imagery of Schumer with his security detail that were armed with machine guns. Those guys looked like they were not going to fuck around and there was a part where they had to turn around because there were terrorists at the top of the stairs and they had to go out a different way.

Cops don't open fire on white people.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/02/21, 02:53 pm

Cameron wrote:

I never understood any of the sympathy for Ashli Babbitt. As far as I'm concerned, she got exactly what was coming to her, and quite a few more of them should have gotten it the same. If you storm a government building with the government officials inside with the express purpose of stopping them from carrying out their official duty (to say nothing of other much worse intentions), you should expect to be fired upon. This is America, after all. Our cops shoot people.

Watching the footage again last night that gun is pointed at them for a substantial amount of time and they continue to try to break in. Perfectly acceptable use of force. The person that discharged the gun gave them ample amount of time to turn around.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 11/02/21, 02:54 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Just curious, how do you think it is blunting the point for criminal prosecution?  Criminal prosecution will be a lot tougher regardless, as apparently the legal standard for criminal inciting of violence is a lot higher.  But I don't see how this impacts it much.  

And galvanizing the Trump supporters?  Who the fuck cares?  I'm not in favor of appeasing insurrectionists.

It appears a conviction in an impeachment is impossible. Especially when you have feckless co conspirators on the jury.  Maybe a criminal case has a better shot. Which makes me wonder how.dumb you have to be to even go.the impeachment route when you already know the outcome. As far as galvenizing people I'm not worried about it. I was just saying it's basically whats gonna happen.

Last edited by kingstonlake on 11/02/21, 02:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 11/02/21, 02:55 pm

Cameron wrote:

Exactly.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/02/21, 03:02 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

Cops don't open fire on white people.

Sad but true. They should revisit this policy because I don't think it would have taken many shots to make a difference. I think it circles back to Cliven Bundy they were allowed to make the feds look like a bunch of weenies in their standoff and they became folk heroes. No other demographic other than Caucasians could pull off the same shit and come out alright.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 11/02/21, 04:13 pm

Yes, policing is racist in many cases, but those capital cops were vastly outnumbered and in most cases outgunned. They could have easily been slaughtered if they started popping people. They knew that and were talking about it during the fight.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 11/02/21, 04:21 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Just curious, how do you think it is blunting the point for criminal prosecution?  Criminal prosecution will be a lot tougher regardless, as apparently the legal standard for criminal inciting of violence is a lot higher.  But I don't see how this impacts it much.  

And galvanizing the Trump supporters?  Who the fuck cares?  I'm not in favor of appeasing insurrectionists.

It appears a conviction in an impeachment is impossible. Especially when you have feckless co conspirators on the jury.  Maybe a criminal case has a better shot. Which makes me wonder how.dumb you have to be to even go.the impeachment route when you already know the outcome. As far as galvenizing people I'm not worried about it. I was just saying it's basically whats gonna happen.

I don't think it's dumb to go the impeachment route knowing the outcome at all. It doesn't prevent a criminal case, and it forces the Seditionists in the House (impeachment vote) and the Senate (trial) to go on record as opposing the blatantly obvious charges. It will follow them their whole careers. They wanted to avoid this, to forget about it, and hope that 2 years from now, the American people have largely forgotten about it.

A criminal case has a better shot of having an impartial jury, but is a much more difficult case to make. Difficult enough that, barring some witnesses from Trump's circle that we don't know about yet, they probably won't even attempt to charge him. At least not federally. DC might be more willing to pursue something. Of course, this doesn't prevent criminal charges, if the DOJ does want to. But I think the better chance of legal ramifications for him are the NY case(s) over his finances, and/or the Georgia case about his election interference.

Just my two cents.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and Rocinante like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 11/02/21, 04:37 pm

And all the maga idiots that are invoking him in their defenses. They will likely sue him. Or their testimony will be used by someone somewhere.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 11/02/21, 05:30 pm

Rocinante wrote:Yes, policing is racist in many cases, but those capital cops were vastly outnumbered and in most cases outgunned. They could have easily been slaughtered if they started popping people. They knew that and were talking about it during the fight.

Yeah, i saw a cop talk about wondering if he should discharge his weapon when he was getting beaten and he said it probably was the worst move possible. This was well into the insurgency though when lines were broken and it was a complete free for all.

Anyone that is following the trial closely has anything been raised about Christopher Miller and his orders that basically neutered the National Guard for the event?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 11/02/21, 05:40 pm

Cameron wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

That might be the dumbest thing you've ever said.

Not even close.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 11/02/21, 05:54 pm

steveschneider wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Yes, policing is racist in many cases, but those capital cops were vastly outnumbered and in most cases outgunned. They could have easily been slaughtered if they started popping people. They knew that and were talking about it during the fight.

Yeah, i saw a cop talk about wondering if he should discharge his weapon when he was getting beaten and he said it probably was the worst move possible. This was well into the insurgency though when lines were broken and it was a complete free for all.

Anyone that is following the trial closely has anything been raised about Christopher Miller and his orders that basically neutered the National Guard for the event?

They didn't use the trial to throw blame around to anyone else, probably because that would be irrelevant to the case against Trump. They did mention how Miller himself said that the NG was released after he talked to Pence, Pelosi, and McConnel, and hiw Trump's name was not included for a reason in that statement.

I think that all other investigations, hearings, etc. aimed at government officials or other high profile people (Capitol police to Miller, Rudy, media, funding groups, or even possibly members of Congress), will start to move forward after this is all done. Like everyone wanted to let this get out of the way before attention can focus elsewhere. At least that is my hope. A lot needs to be investigated beyond just Trump and the actual ones doing the damage on the ground.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next