Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need recommendations for car battery jump starter

+10
Jake from State Farm
Motown Spartan
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
steveschneider
MSU addict
kingstonlake
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
tGreenWay
14 posters

Go down

Need recommendations for car battery jump starter Empty Need recommendations for car battery jump starter

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 17:11

Anyone used one before or currently own one?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Need recommendations for car battery jump starter Empty Re: Need recommendations for car battery jump starter

Post by DWags 2021-02-20, 17:42

AAA

1-800-222-4357
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Need recommendations for car battery jump starter Empty Re: Need recommendations for car battery jump starter

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-02-20, 17:53

Yeah, last time my wife's car crapped out, I tried to jump it from my car. Didn't work. Was at a Walmart, of course they didn't have her battery in, so I "bought" a battery they did have and tried to jump what was in there from that battery... Didn't work. Started thinking it was something else. Ended up getting a tow truck. The guy said his jumper was thousand + dollars... and only those super expensive ones work on new cars now... Fwiw. But tow guys aren't known for their smarts.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-20, 18:04

Just use the device Mrs Greenway uses on you during sexy time. Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 2809484752
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-02-20, 18:27

Just get a new car battery.  If it is having difficulty starting in cold weather - just replace it.  Get the one with the most cold cranking amps available.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-02-20, 18:43

Energizer makes a really good battery.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

tGreenWay and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 18:44

Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 502811600 Thanks, all. Your answers have been predictably worthless. Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2021-02-20, 19:12

Greenie have you seen those new devices/chargers that replace jumper cables? Let me see if I can find it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2021-02-20, 19:14

I think what I've been seeing commercials for is the Noco Genius.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-02-20, 19:27

Still have a charger I got from Grainger maybe 25 years ago.  Use it mostly for the mower.  Take your pick from what's available now

Grainger
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 19:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think what I've been seeing commercials for is the Noco Genius.

That’s the one recommended by amazon. I can get it by Monday and it’s got 4+ stars. Apparently, it’s a super safe lithium battery, and depending on the style, I can use it to charge just about anything except Kingston’s weenie, which, to Mrs. Kingston’s
chagrin, is deader than disco.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 19:32

The Pantry wrote:Still have a charger I got from Grainger maybe 25 years ago.  Use it mostly for the mower.  Take your pick from what's available now

Grainger

Good info to look at. Thanks. I see they’ve discontinued the NOCO Genius. Makes me wonder why. Most of those sold by Grainger are chargers, which I’m still considering. I def want to put one of the portable instant starters in my wife’s car, though.

Edit:
My car battery is dead because it’s been sitting for a month in this cold weather. The batter is ~ 3 years old, though, so I’m not replacing it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-20, 19:36

Just make sure you mix the colors. Black on red. Red on black. Trust me.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 19:36

And for you chuckleheads who suggested I go the AAA route, I’m trying to limit human contact. DWags and Floyd obviously want me Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 3836498553
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 19:37

kingstonlake wrote:Just make sure you mix the colors. Black on red. Red on black. Trust me.

Excellent tip. Very helpful. TY! Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 55953254
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-20, 19:37

Pro tip Greenway. On the serious.

You have no business buying anything with the name "Genius" in it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 19:40

kingstonlake wrote:Pro tip Greenway. On the serious.

You have no business buying anything with the name "Genius" in it.

Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 502811600 Truth. Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2021-02-20, 19:48

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Still have a charger I got from Grainger maybe 25 years ago.  Use it mostly for the mower.  Take your pick from what's available now

Grainger

Good info to look at. Thanks. I see they’ve discontinued the NOCO Genius. Makes me wonder why. Most of those sold by Grainger are chargers, which I’m still considering. I def want to put one of the portable instant starters in my wife’s car, though.

Edit:
My car battery is dead because it’s been sitting for a month in this cold weather. The batter is ~ 3 years old, though, so I’m not replacing it.
It might actually be dead
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 19:53

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Edit:

Could be. There’s a small amount of life in it, so I’ll try to revive it first. If it’s dead, I’ll just grab a replacement. I still want my wife to have an instant starter in her car, because she’s the one that’s still on the road some days during all this crap. Plus, it’s just good to have one.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-20, 20:01

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:It might actually be dead

Could be. There’s a small amount of life in it, so I’ll try to revive it first. If it’s dead, I’ll just grab a replacement. I still want my wife to have an instant starter in her car, because she’s the one that’s still on the road some days during all this crap. Plus, it’s just good to have one.

I've got jumper cables at my house, she'll be fine.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-20, 21:08

kingstonlake wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Yeah, but your jumper cable is more like a skinny, dangling rope.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-20, 21:25

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Yeah, but your jumper cable is more like a skinny, dangling rope.

Yeah, so!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-02-20, 21:28

Your car’s a piece of shit...
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2021-02-20, 21:30

tGreenWay wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I think what I've been seeing commercials for is the Noco Genius.

That’s the one recommended by amazon. I can get it by Monday and it’s got 4+ stars. Apparently, it’s a super safe lithium battery, and depending on the style, I can use it to charge just about anything except Kingston’s weenie, which, to Mrs. Kingston’s
chagrin, is deader than disco.
tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

I have had a portable charger, I have not found one that works well.  IMO it is basically something that may make you feel safe but more likely than not won't do the job when you need it.

It is not a replacement for a reliable battery.  I have learned this lesson.  Feel free to learn it for yourself though.   

FWIW, I have also owned a NOCO Genius, it received a one star review from me on amazon.  Fortunately I found it was a POS within 30 days.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-02-21, 07:44

tGreenWay wrote:

Grainger

Edit:

Get a trickle charger or battery maintainer if you're going to leave a battery sitting out in the cold for a long time. Either that or take it out of the car and keep it someplace warm.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-02-21, 10:42

Check Costco for a device that provides a jump start,

They have 3-4 online.  The run from $70-$100.

PS
Cold snaps let you know your battery warranted for 5 years is almost 7 years old

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2021-02-21, 10:52; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2021-02-21, 10:43

Greeny

I have both a trickle charger and a portable jumper

https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-BC8S-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B00PZ0PMSA
Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 91tN26aSjmL._AC_SL1500_

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/automotive/chargers-jumper-cables/masterforce-trade-800-amp-lithium-ion-jump-starter/mf180/p-1565245576798-c-9100.htm?tid=-7793103302102792712&ipos=42
Need recommendations for car battery jump starter MF180

I used the trickle charger to keep a batter fully charged, especially when a vehicle isn't being driven much. Like when my son went on a 10 month vacation with the Army in Iraq.

The portable jumper I keep in the car, so I can jump my own car if needed and so I can jump someone else's car without having to jockey cars around and fuck around with long cables.

The trickle charger doesn't do you much good if you aren't at home with access to an electrical outlet, the portable jumper doesn't do you any good of you don't keep it charged and with you (it is also great as a way to charge phones/tablets/etc.)
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-02-21, 10:49

Bob's Bike > Greenways junker
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2021-02-21, 11:24

MSU addict wrote:I have had a portable charger, I have not found one that works well.  IMO it is basically something that may make you feel safe but more likely than not won't do the job when you need it.

It is not a replacement for a reliable battery.  I have learned this lesson.  Feel free to learn it for yourself though.   

FWIW, I have also owned a NOCO Genius, it received a one star review from me on amazon.  Fortunately I found it was a POS within 30 days.

This is how I feel about those things - my battery doesn't work so let me get out this cheaper version that definitely will save it...
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-02-22, 10:13

I keep this in the boat. Small and compact.

NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000

Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 913%2BOdWA3NL._AC_SL1500_
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2021-02-22, 10:35

I've got this one. It works great on my Zeroturn mower. Haven't had to try it on a car battery yet. It's a Stanley Powertogo. It does seem to lose power while it's sitting there doing nothing so I charge it quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0UuFeY_1Dc
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-27, 17:43

Thanks for the info, guys. After considering all the tips and doing some reading online, I went with the antigravity microstart xp-10.
Bypassed the DeWalt b/c it’s like 20 lbs. I don’t want that bowling ball aiming for my wife’s head if she has to stop on a dime.
Almost pulled the trigger on the Stanley that can jump a car through the cigarette lighter. She’d love that option, not having to lift the hood to get a boost if she’s stuck on the highway somewhere. Pretty cool how the new tech is so much easier. It’s a brave new world.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-27, 17:47

p.s. made my decision after seeing the pros listed in a c/net article, which curated info from places like Consumer Reports. I also like how the antigravity offers an optional inflator for an extra $25. Didn’t get it this time, but will probably order soon. A couple of the jump starters came with an inflator, but those were the heavy lead-acid models that have to be stored in the trunk.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-02-27, 18:01

tGreenWay wrote:p.s. made my decision after seeing the pros listed in a c/net article, which curated info from places like Consumer Reports. I also like how the antigravity offers an optional inflator for an extra $25. Didn’t get it this time, but will probably order soon. A couple of the jump starters came with an inflator, but those were the heavy lead-acid models that have to be stored in the trunk.

So you just wasted our time by asking us.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-02-27, 20:32

Motown Spartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:p.s. made my decision after seeing the pros listed in a c/net article, which curated info from places like Consumer Reports. I also like how the antigravity offers an optional inflator for an extra $25. Didn’t get it this time, but will probably order soon. A couple of the jump starters came with an inflator, but those were the heavy lead-acid models that have to be stored in the trunk.

So you just wasted our time by asking us.

As if you had anything else to do. Need recommendations for car battery jump starter 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down