Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State?

+14
Rocinante
CORNER BLITZ
Motown Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
Heat Miser
steveschneider
duffy munn
tGreenWay
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
DWags
AvgMSUJoe
NigelUno
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State? Empty How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State?

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-24, 21:28

https://www.si.com/college/michiganstate/the-war-room/spartan-nation-mailbag-how-long-will-mel-tucker-coach-michigan-state

Hondo, are you a person who thinks Mel Tucker will be in East Lansing a long time? You always seem to be a realist. Rick Hubbard

Everyone I know who has a personal relationship (including several men that he considers friends) tells me no that he has other and bigger plans. I DO NOT blame him for taking the money that Michigan State offered at all. But, MSU had to overpay because people that I know who genuinely love the Green and White wouldn't. So based on what his friends have told me, I do not expect him to stay long if he succeeds.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State? Empty Re: How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State?

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2021-05-24, 22:56

Well if it comes from SI and Hondo, must be real.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

tGreenWay and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State? Empty Re: How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State?

Post by DWags 2021-05-24, 23:05

Well then, I hope we have a new coach soon. It would mean he was successful and moved on.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-05-24, 23:32

With Izzo getting up there in years, I think Dane Fife is his natural replacement as Hondo's pick for head football coach.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-05-24, 23:48

He moves on that means MSU did pretty well under him. Thanks, HondoNigel
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-05-25, 02:44

How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State? 1818522949-21153-Just-Stay-With-Me-Forever
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-05-25, 02:53

Can’t see what you posted, Travis, but I’m betting it was funny.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-05-25, 02:57

Why is someone asking that moran about anything related to MSU? He doesn’t cover the Spartans anymore and everything he used to write was garbage. The man is an imbecile and his writing has always reflected that.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-05-25, 07:46

Fucking Hondo
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and Rocinante like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-25, 08:22

DWags wrote:Well then, I hope we have a new coach soon. It would mean he was successful and moved on.

I am still trying to separate the sentences/thoughts to gain an understanding.

But, is Hondo implying Tucker doesn't love the Green and White as much as some guys who do (and turned down the money for some reason)?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-05-25, 08:51

Whatever happens will happen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-05-25, 10:11

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:Well then, I hope we have a new coach soon. It would mean he was successful and moved on.

But, is Hondo implying Tucker doesn't love the Green and White as much as some guys who do (and turned down the money for some reason)?

Yeah, that's some crazy logic there. Who are these "genuine Green & White" lovers?

Luke Fickell (zero connection to MSU)?
Pat Narduzzi (no connection other than 8 years as DC)?
Robert Saleh (2 years as defensive assistant 20 years ago, but at least he's from MI)?
Pat Shurmer (now you're talking, but in his mid 50s and hasn't been in the college game in 20+ years)?
who else?

MSU had to "overpay" because Coach D fucked them over with his timing & because that's what the market is. Hondo is once again full of shit.

If Coach T leaves in 7-9 years with multiple B1G championships, I'm all for it. That would be 2 coaches in a row proving the "you can't win at MSU because SCum, tO$U, ND, etc." meme is total BS.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, duffy munn and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-25, 10:48

Heat Miser wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yeah, that's some crazy logic there. Who are these "genuine Green & White" lovers?

Robert Saleh (2 years as defensive assistant 20 years ago, but at least he's from MI)?
Pat Shurmer (now you're talking, but in his mid 50s and hasn't been in the college game in 20+ years)?
who else?

MSU had to "overpay" because Coach D fucked them over with his timing & because that's what the market is. Hondo is once again full of shit.

If Coach T leaves in 7-9 years with multiple B1G championships, I'm all for it. That would be 2 coaches in a row proving the "you can't win at MSU because SCum, tO$U, ND, etc." meme is total BS.

Shurmur might be the only one that Hondo would have some minor third hand gossip about. I guess there could be plenty of guys who love the Green and White who would have taken the job for less (or the same). Or maybe they just love the green ($) and Hondo can't separate the two.

Wanting a bigger/better (NFL or a major school like Bama) job is fine. I'd think a CFP appearance would be required for that...which is also fine.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-05-25, 10:57

Hondo seems like the kind of guy that wears shoes with velcro straps.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-05-25, 10:59

NigelUno wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

who else?

Shurmur might be the only one that Hondo would have some minor third hand gossip about. I guess there could be plenty of guys who love the Green and White who would have taken the job for less (or the same). Or maybe they just love the green ($) and Hondo can't separate the two.

Wanting a bigger/better (NFL or a major school like Bama) job is fine. I'd think a CFP appearance would be required for that...which is also fine.

Why to you read or listen to Hondo?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-05-25, 11:41

Can we slow the roll here a little bit Hondo? Tucker has a 2-5 record as head coach here.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2021-05-25, 11:46

2027...now that I type it out 2028 looks better
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-05-25, 12:47

CORNER BLITZ wrote:2027...now that I type it out 2028 looks better

Agreed. I put the odds at 50/50 right now on getting shown the door vs. leaving.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-05-25, 12:51

Motown Spartan wrote:Can we slow the roll here a little bit Hondo? Tucker has a 2-5 record as head coach here.

Yeah I mean at this point let’s see if he can avoid getting fired before we worry about him leaving for another job. That’s some serious insecurity to worry about if he might be too good for us at this point
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-25, 12:56

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Why to you read or listen to Hondo?

For the chuckles in this case.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-05-25, 13:06

I’m waiting to see this year first. Maybe we’ll be happy he’s gone. Maybe sad. Nothing last year tells me either way.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-05-25, 14:13

DWags wrote:I’m waiting to see this year first. Maybe we’ll be happy he’s gone. Maybe sad. Nothing last year tells me either way.

$5.5 million/year.

His buyout is now $2.5 million (and drops $500,000 each year).

Our buyout is 85% of his remaining contract. Ouch.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-05-25, 14:39

Motown Spartan wrote:Can we slow the roll here a little bit Hondo? Tucker has a 2-5 record as head coach here.  

Hondo is still bitter Coach D never became his "dear friend". He's gonna talk up Tucker big time based on this alone.

FTR, I'm glad Dantonio tore that clown a new after he asked that dumb ass question.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2021-05-25, 16:16

duffy munn wrote:Fucking Hondo

Fucking steve

Somehow this is his fault
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, tGreenWay and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-05-25, 16:25

DWags wrote:I’m waiting to see this year first. Maybe we’ll be happy he’s gone. Maybe sad. Nothing last year tells me either way.

MT will need at least a full three years to turn this mess around. MD elevated the program beyond anything in my lifetime, at least anything I can remember, but like Heat said, his timing to leave was about as bad as it gets. And it was clear there was very little left in the cupboard for whomever became the next coach, which means he and his staff were phoning it in for awhile.
George promised and delivered a Rose Bowl in five years. Nobody has the patience to wait that long these days. But if by year 4 MT hasn’t restored some of the glory, then I’ll write a check to end his reign. Unless it’s really evident everything is a disaster, then I’ll grumble early.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2021-05-25, 16:44

tGreenWay wrote:

MT will need at least a full three years to turn this mess around. MD elevated the program beyond anything in my lifetime, at least anything I can remember, but like Heat said, his timing to leave was about as bad as it gets. And it was clear there was very little left in the cupboard for whomever became the next coach, which means he and his staff were phoning it in for awhile.
George promised and delivered a Rose Bowl in five years. Nobody has the patience to wait that long these days. But if by year 4 MT hasn’t restored some of the glory, then I’ll write a check to end his reign. Unless it’s really evident everything is a disaster, then I’ll grumble early.

I think his work with the portal has been outstanding. Looks like upgrades in every case to me. Transfers out generally ending up at lower tier schools. Transfers in coming from generally equal or higher tier schools.

And I agree Coach D & Co. were phoning it in for the last 2 years or so. The rearranging the deck chairs bit was just ridiculous, as many observed at the time. Those coaches have shown themselves not to be in great demand at the top level post-MSU.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-05-25, 17:08

Heat Miser wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I think his work with the portal has been outstanding. Looks like upgrades in every case to me. Transfers out generally ending up at lower tier schools. Transfers in coming from generally equal or higher tier schools.

And I agree Coach D & Co. were phoning it in for the last 2 years or so. The rearranging the deck chairs bit was just ridiculous, as many observed at the time. Those coaches have shown themselves not to be in great demand at the top level post-MSU.

Right on everything. MT’s use of the portal is mind-bottling, and bringing in players who have more of the physical attributes he prefers might actually speed up the timeline I mentioned previously, but that will depend on coaching.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-05-25, 17:18

tGreenWay wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Right on everything. MT’s use of the portal is mind-bottling, and bringing in players who have more of the physical attributes he prefers might actually speed up the timeline I mentioned previously, but that will depend on coaching.

How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State? 95662d10
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-05-25, 17:26

Heat Miser wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

who else?

Nailed it
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-05-25, 19:04

tGreenWay wrote:

I throw last season out the window. The timing of his hiring was far less of an issue than not having spring ball and not really having people able to transfer in/out. The season was basically a glorified spring practice in terms of getting to know players, players getting to know coaches, and the resulting transfers that tend to accompany a new regime. Consider 2021 his first full season, maybe more like a mid-season hire.

Having said that, there needs to progress in the right direction. It won't be hard to have progress over last season (another reason 2021 is kind of Year 1 of the MT regime), but 2022 and 2023 will show whether we are headed in the right direction.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-05-25, 19:09

If he does leave can we merge this thread with the emoni Bates thread?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-05-25, 19:43

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I throw last season out the window. The timing of his hiring was far less of an issue than not having spring ball and not really having people able to transfer in/out. The season was basically a glorified spring practice in terms of getting to know players, players getting to know coaches, and the resulting transfers that tend to accompany a new regime. Consider 2021 his first full season, maybe more like a mid-season hire.

Having said that, there needs to progress in the right direction. It won't be hard to have progress over last season (another reason 2021 is kind of Year 1 of the MT regime), but 2022 and 2023 will show whether we are headed in the right direction.

Yep, and that’s why I said four years. Seems like most new coaches get about three years to get things really moving, but I added a fourth because it’s not fair to count last season.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-05-25, 19:44

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Well somebody damn well better. I’m not standing nekkid in front of my house right now for the hell of it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-05-25, 19:47

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yep, and that’s why I said four years. Seems like most new coaches get about three years to get things really moving, but I added a fourth because it’s not fair to count last season.

You also said 3 years. Sure you dont want to add some other timelines in there to hedge your bets even more.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-05-25, 19:48

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:

Well somebody damn well better. I’m not standing nekkid in front of my house right now for the hell of it.

Do you have a Ring or other video doorbell? And if so, what's the password?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-11, 14:56

Sounds like an extension/raise is being worked on.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-11-11, 15:17

NigelUno wrote:Sounds like an extension/raise is being worked on.

link?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-11, 15:24

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

link?

How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State? Staudt-78-e1492698932649
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2021-11-11, 15:38

Insert happy dance
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-11-11, 15:56

NigelUno wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

link?

How Long Will Mel Tucker coach Michigan State? Staudt-78-e1492698932649

What's going on in this picture? He's on the phone with a microphone? Who said that was a good picture lets do it?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next