Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pete Rose Should Be In the HOF

+11
AvgMSUJoe
Pervis Muldoon
MiamiSpartan
Cameron
kingstonlake
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Motown Spartan
GRR Spartan
steveschneider
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pete Rose Should Be In the HOF Empty Pete Rose Should Be In the HOF

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 10:24

Every pitching change, or change over during a baseball game you now see a gambling commercial. You follow sports writers on twitter and you see them making their betting picks. You sit in a park and you see DraftKings signage.

I think this year would be a good one to forgive Pete Rose and next year would be a good one to put him in the HOF.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Pete Rose Should Be In the HOF Empty Re: Pete Rose Should Be In the HOF

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 10:48

No

Pete bet on his own team(s) and according to multiple sources had serious gambling debts to bookies.

Pete Rose was a talented player with a gambling problem and MLB has had long standing rules regarding betting. Pete was a player and then a manager betting on games that he was a a participant and in a position to change the outcome of a game from winning/losing to runs scored and whatever side bets.

If you or me want to bet its OK because we have no influence on the outcome.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 10:58

GRR Spartan wrote:No

Pete bet on his own team(s) and according to multiple sources had serious gambling debts to bookies.

Pete Rose was a talented player with a gambling problem and MLB has had long standing rules regarding betting. Pete was a player and then a manager betting on games that he was a a participant and in a position to change the outcome of a game from winning/losing to runs scored and whatever side bets.

If you or me want to bet its OK because we have no influence on the outcome.

Two HUGE strikes against Pete Rose:

1) He bet on his own teams when he was the manager so he could influence the outcome of the game.

2) He had huge gambling debts so he could influence the outcome of the game in order to payoff those debts even if he didn't wager on that particular game.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 10:59

No. He bet on baseball and bet on his team. Move along.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 11:04

We all know Pete was wrong. It's about saying hey this guy paid the price and lets forgive.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 11:08

Can't forgive someone that shows a complete lack of remorse for their actions.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Izzo Court like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 11:09

steveschneider wrote:We all know Pete was wrong. It's about saying hey this guy paid the price and lets forgive.

The HoF is not about forgiveness. It's not a reclamation project. It doesn't have a 12-step program.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 11:35

You have OJ Simpson out and about walking freely and you can't put Pete Rose in the HOF? Have some compassion people.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 11:38

steveschneider wrote:You have OJ Simpson out and about walking freely and you can't put Pete Rose in the HOF? Have some compassion people.

Reggie Bush should get his Heisman Trophy back.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 11:57

Motown Spartan wrote:Can't forgive someone that shows a complete lack of remorse for their actions.

This right here ^^^
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 12:13

It's all silly and frivolous, really. He was and is one of the most famous baseball players ever to live. I get that he transgressed and there must be consequences, but the Hall of Fame is sort of definitionally incomplete without him in it.

It would be sort of petty to wait until after he dies to put him in, but at that point, no one gains anything from keeping him out, so maybe they will at least do that.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 12:24

Cameron wrote:It's all silly and frivolous, really. He was and is one of the most famous baseball players ever to live. I get that he transgressed and there must be consequences, but the Hall of Fame is sort of definitionally incomplete without him in it.

It would be sort of petty to wait until after he dies to put him in, but at that point, no one gains anything from keeping him out, so maybe they will at least do that.

I also think it would be incredibly petty to keep Barry Bonds out. This is Willie Mays godson do it for Willy while he's alive.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 12:28

Players and managers that have desecrated the game should not be recognized or rewarded regardless of how famous they are/were. If so, we should reinstate all of the Fab Five wins, etc.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 12:32

Motown Spartan wrote:Players and managers that have desecrated the game should not be recognized or rewarded regardless of how famous they are/were. If so, we should reinstate all of the Fab Five wins, etc.

Then rename it to the "Hall of Integrity" or some shit. I believe in truth in advertising.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 12:41

Cameron wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Players and managers that have desecrated the game should not be recognized or rewarded regardless of how famous they are/were. If so, we should reinstate all of the Fab Five wins, etc.

Then rename it to the "Hall of Integrity" or some shit. I believe in truth in advertising.

Then it should also be contained to just a hall.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 12:46

If Pete Rose can be kept out for gambling, then ought not Ty Cobb be kicked out for being a racist piece of human garbage?

Or is gambling worse than racism vis a vis baseball?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 12:57

Cameron wrote:If Pete Rose can be kept out for gambling, then ought not Ty Cobb be kicked out for being a racist piece of human garbage?

What you're doing right now is EXACTLY what Pete Rose has done for years and a huge reason why he hasn't been forgiven. It shows that he is truly not remorseful when he plays the whataboutism game.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 13:27

Cameron wrote:If Pete Rose can be kept out for gambling, then ought not Ty Cobb be kicked out for being a racist piece of human garbage?

If that's the criteria, you'd have to kick out a hell of a lot more than Ty Cobb, including every player and mention of any team, owner, commissioner, etc. prior to the 50s, for supporting a league that was inherently racist and exclusionist. Probably need to ban the Hall Of Fame from the Hall Of Fame.

But regardless, betting on your own team is worse in the sense of actual on-field impact which is what the HOF is supposed to be about.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 14:56

Good read:

1926 - Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were permitted by Ban Johnson to resign from baseball near the end of the 1926 season after former pitcher Dutch Leonard charged that Cobb, Speaker and Smoky Joe Wood had joined him just before the 1919 World Series in betting on a game they all knew was fixed. Leonard presented letters and other documents to Johnson, and Johnson thought they would be so potentially damaging to baseball in the wake of the Black Sox scandal that he paid Leonard $20,000 to have them suppressed. Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis exposed the cover-up and the eventual fallout forced Johnson out his job as president of the league he had created. Cobb and Speaker vehemently denied any wrongdoing, Cobb saying that "There has never been a baseball game in my life that I played in that I knew was fixed,? and that the only games he ever bet on were two series games in 1919, when he lost $150 on games thrown by the Sox. He claimed his letters to Leonard had been misunderstood, that he was merely speaking of business investments. Landis took the case under advisement and eventually let both players remain in baseball because they had not been found guilty of fixing any game themselves. It was after this case, though, that Landis instituted the rule mandating that any player found guilty of betting on baseball would be suspended for a year and that any player found to have bet on his own team would be barred for life. Cobb later claimed that the attorneys representing him and Speaker had brokered their reinstatement by threatening to expose further scandal in baseball if the two were not cleared.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 15:07

It's situational. Racism is more detestable, but a manager gambling on his own team's games is much more dangerous to the sport than a racist manager or player.

Racism is also worse than alcoholism, but would you rather the pilot on your next flight be racist or drunk?
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 15:13

steveschneider wrote:You have OJ Simpson out and about walking freely and you can't put Pete Rose in the HOF? Have some compassion people.

Shut the fuck up, Steve.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 15:14

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:It's all silly and frivolous, really. He was and is one of the most famous baseball players ever to live. I get that he transgressed and there must be consequences, but the Hall of Fame is sort of definitionally incomplete without him in it.

I also think it would be incredibly petty to keep Barry Bonds out. This is Willie Mays godson do it for Willy while he's alive.

I’m all for showing compassion when it’s earned. You’re just soft.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 16:28

steveschneider wrote:

Barry still has a shot (although a small one). Pete's not getting in. Dead or alive.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 16:54

PT 2 on Ty Cobb

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1989-05-21-8902030567-story.html

Ty Cobb was involved in fixing a game and from the post above also gambled on a game he knew was fixed.

Funny how 'baseball justice' works. A few players that fixed a game and gambled on a game are in the HOF and another isn't.

Some players that took PED's are in and others won't be. Just seems like disorganized frontier justice to me.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 16:55

tGreenWay wrote:

Shut the fuck up, Steve.

Pete Rose Should Be In the HOF 877510730
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 16:59

tGreenWay wrote:

Shut the fuck up, Steve.
Lol

No Steve, blab as much as you want, we need more stimulus in this joint.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:02

I really, truly, do not care about who is or isn’t in a hall of fame. Maybe it makes me a bad sports fan or something, but entry into a sports museum, or lack of, just doesn’t hit my radar at all.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:05

Bonds way before Pete Rose
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:18

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I really, truly, do not care about who is or isn’t in a hall of fame. Maybe it makes me a bad sports fan or something, but entry into a sports museum, or lack of, just doesn’t hit my radar at all.

It means something to Willie Mays. He's expressed it that he wants to see Barry put into the HOF.

It clearly matters to Pete Rose as well. I empathize with Willie Mays. He did so much for the game and endured so much racism I think it's a small ask on his part.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:22

steveschneider wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I really, truly, do not care about who is or isn’t in a hall of fame. Maybe it makes me a bad sports fan or something, but entry into a sports museum, or lack of, just doesn’t hit my radar at all.

It means something to Willie Mays. He's expressed it that he wants to see Barry put into the HOF.

It clearly matters to Pete Rose as well. I empathize with Willie Mays. He did so much for the game and endured so much racism I think it's a small ask on his part.

I’m not Willie Mays Stevie. I’m also not Pete rose.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:40

Will be more famous(is more famous) for not getting in

Shoeless Jo says hi
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:48

Probably could have just skipped over the thread.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:51

steveschneider wrote:

I think it means a lot to Pete Rose from a business perspective.

He could add "HOF" (and charge extra) to his signed baseballs, as opposed to charging more for adding "I bet on baseball".
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:51

This take is fire
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 17:54

NigelUno wrote:

I’m so so sorry to have bothered you Nigel I’m sure this was very tough for you.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 18:42

NigelUno wrote:

I've put him down on the spreadsheet as not caring. Hey, at least he made it official and now we know.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 19:15

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I’m so so sorry to have bothered you Nigel I’m sure this was very tough for you.

It seems like it was more of a bother for you to comment on something you don't care about.

But, thanks for your thoughts.  Or not.

Last edited by NigelUno on Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 19:19; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 19:17

Honestly it’s no bother Nigel. It really doesn’t take very long tbh. I just clocked this post in at 17 seconds.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 19:25

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Honestly it’s no bother Nigel. It really doesn’t take very long tbh. I just clocked this post in at 17 seconds.

Awesome. Glad this thread remains on your radar.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed 9 Jun 2021 - 19:32

I’m a mod around these parts Nigel. Every thread is on my radar. #forevervigilant
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next