Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto)

+12
HT
InTenSity
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
DWags
Giant Moose
Dr. Strangelove
Rocinante
steveschneider
CORNER BLITZ
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Empty Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto)

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 11:12

This was how we knew Pluto to appear before today. A combination of images from the hubble telescope taken 2002-2003

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Plutoh_wide-fd2a345604156dc94ab67863d1eddd84c069cdaf-s700-c85

This morning the New Horizons space probe past Pluto going 30,000 miles per hour, and now we know it looks like this

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Plutohr1_wide-b0136663f4e010db68c437689aff09a08fc5574f-s700-c85

Last edited by CORNER BLITZ on 2015-07-14, 20:34; edited 3 times in total
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Empty Re: Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto)

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 11:14

New Horizons' almost 10-year, three-billion-mile journey to closest approach at Pluto took about one minute less than predicted when the craft was launched in January 2006. The spacecraft threaded the needle through a 36-by-57 mile (60 by 90 kilometers) window in space -- the equivalent of a commercial airliner arriving no more off target than the width of a tennis ball.
Because New Horizons is the fastest spacecraft ever launched - hurtling through the Pluto system at more than 30,000 mph, a collision with a particle as small as a grain of rice could incapacitate the spacecraft. Once it reestablishes contact Tuesday night, it will take 16 months for New Horizons to send its cache of data - 10 years' worth -- back to Earth.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/display.cfm?News_ID=49503
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Empty Re: Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto)

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 11:16

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-14, 11:16

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) ZaxGRh8r_biggerKaya BurgessVerified account @kayaburgess
On the left is the best image we had of Pluto before. Now we have this. Just astonishing.

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) CJ33O4KWEAALuAR
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 11:29

If you like scrolling and maps that are built to scale... here's the solar system
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-14, 11:30

Two things I hope to see: the reinstatement of Pete Rose to baseball, and the reinstatement of Pluto as a planet in our solar system.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-14, 11:49

steveschneider wrote:Two things I hope to see: the reinstatement of Pete Rose to baseball, and the reinstatement of Pluto as a planet in our solar system.

Pluto has a better chance than Pete.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-14, 11:53

Rocinante wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Two things I hope to see: the reinstatement of Pete Rose to baseball, and the reinstatement of Pluto as a planet in our solar system.

Pete is going to be honored tonight in the All Star Game. He's got a job at Fox as analyst, and will be present throughout the game tonight.

Sooner or later the MLB is going to have to temper justice and show some mercy to the greatest hitter to ever play the game.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 12:07

Images released on Wednesday will be more than 10 times the resolution of those already published

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 12:08

i hop i don't say this offishul webcite...

but it is
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-07-14, 12:09

steveschneider wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Pete is going to be honored tonight in the All Star Game. He's got a job at Fox as analyst, and will be present throughout the game tonight.

Sooner or later the MLB is going to have to temper justice and show some mercy to the greatest hitter to ever play the game.

Yeah let me know how that comes out.

Signed (well not really signed since I was illiterate but you get the gist)

Shoeless Joe Jackson
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-14, 12:13

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Pluto_dog
I always thought Pluto looked like this.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-07-14, 12:33

Giant Moose wrote:Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Pluto_dog
I always thought Pluto looked like this.

So, what do you think uranus looks like?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-14, 13:19

DWags wrote:So, what do you think uranus looks like?
It's hard to tell because I can't really see it too well. But using a mirroed device, it looks kind of crappy.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-14, 13:49

steveschneider wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

After he was found to have lied AGAIN, I don't see how this happens.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-14, 14:26

I'm having difficulty understanding why it was hard to get clearer pictures from Hubble.

Here is Crab Nebula, which is 6,523 light years away.

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Low_25th-gallery-090

That's some pretty good detail, right?

Pluto is only 4.67 billion miles away.  It only takes 4 hours for light to get from the sun to Pluto.  Barely 0.2 light days (we'll round up here for benefit of the doubt that light is having an off day), let alone 6,523 light years.

So what's the deal? Just turn the knob on the Hubble focuser to closer objects.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-14, 14:33

That's a composite image of hundreds (thousands?) of observations, which has also been post-processed and color and detail have been added.

Edit: AND that thing is billions of times the size of Pluto.

Edit 2: AND it's pumping out it's own light, which Pluto is not. It's a pinpoint and seeing it is dependent on the reflected light of the sun.

Last edited by Rocinante on 2015-07-14, 14:37; edited 1 time in total
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 14:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:I'm having difficulty understanding why it was hard to get clearer pictures from Hubble.

Here is Crab Nebula, which is 6,523 light years away.

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Low_25th-gallery-090

That's some pretty good detail, right?

Pluto is only 4.67 billion miles away.  It only takes 4 hours for light to get from the sun to Pluto.  Barely 0.2 light days (we'll round up here for benefit of the doubt that light is having an off day), let alone 6,523 light years.

So what's the deal? Just turn the knob on the Hubble focuser to closer objects.

The nebula formed about a thousand years ago from the supernova explosion noted by Chinese astronomers in 1054. The nebula's width, in the image below, is 8 light-years. Its length in this image is 11 light-years.

Vs.

Pluto’s most accurate diameter yet: about 1,473 miles from one end to the other, give or take 12 miles.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-14, 14:35

Rocinante wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Ha, lying? There's so many liars in baseball its not even funny. It's historically one of the most untrustworthy sports there is.

Here's a long list of some of the major players, world series champs and organizations that have 'lied':

Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Barry bonds, Roger Clemens, Palmiero, 2015 St. Louis Cardinals, the 51 Giants, A Rod (still playing), the 1917 Braves, Gaylor Perry, the 1919 Blacksox...and that's just naming a few.

Pete Rose broke the rule, but you can't punish the guy for lying.

He has served 25 years, all they have to do is keep his life time ban from baseball therefore he should never be employed by the MLB again. The HOF is a separate issue and Manfred has said its up to the hall to let him in. Let Pete into the HOF and let the Reds honor/commemorate Pete Rose (retire the jersey, build a statue, and what not). To deny him those things is cruel and unusual punishment.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 14:38

Rocinante wrote:That's a composite image of hundreds (thousands?) of observations, which has also been post-processed and color and detail have been added.

Edit: AND that thing is billions of times the size of Pluto.

Sizes of this magnitude are hard to comprehend....check the link i posted earlier to get some reference.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-07-14, 14:40

Updated the title to more accurately depict the thread
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-14, 14:41

steveschneider wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Ha, lying? There's so many liars in baseball its not even funny. It's historically one of the most untrustworthy sports there is.

Here's a long list of some of the major players, world series champs and organizations that have 'lied':

Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Barry bonds, Roger Clemens, Palmiero, 2015 St. Louis Cardinals, the 51 Giants, A Rod (still playing), the 1917 Braves, Gaylor Perry, the 1919 Blacksox...and that's just naming a few.

Pete Rose broke the rule, but you can't punish the guy for lying.

He has served 25 years, all they have to do is keep his life time ban from baseball therefore he should never be employed by the MLB again. The HOF is a separate issue and Manfred has said its up to the hall to let him in. Let Pete into the HOF and let the Reds honor/commemorate Pete Rose (retire the jersey, build a statue, and what not). To deny him those things is cruel and unusual punishment.

Sorry it doesn't sit right. Every time he's said "I never bet on..." it's been proven untrue. Everybody believed he had come clean last time and he didn't. He bet on his own games when he was a player and a manager. I think that sucks, but I don't think that in and of itself is enough to damn the man. But his lifetime ability to continue to "come clean" over and over AFTER he's caught is gross. HE doesn't deserve it while he lives. After he's dead, fine.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-14, 14:43

I remember when Pluto got kicked out of the Hall of Fame of Planets. If only it would have admitted to having an irregular orbit back in the '80s instead of lying about it.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-07-14, 14:51

Giant Moose wrote:I remember when Pluto got kicked out of the Hall of Fame of Planets. If only it would have admitted to having an irregular orbit back in the '80s instead of lying about it.
At least it still gets to kiss the sun when it comes back.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-14, 14:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:I remember when Pluto got kicked out of the Hall of Fame of Planets. If only it would have admitted to having an irregular orbit back in the '80s instead of lying about it.
Is Morganna still around? Maybe old Pete Rose could kiss old Morganna?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-14, 14:55

Giant Moose wrote:
maybe Hollis would let Pete Rose kiss the Spartan logo?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-07-14, 14:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:
I think Moose should kiss Pete Rose. This all makes so much sense to me.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-14, 14:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
That would be awesome. I could display that picture next to my Pete Rose signed underwear.

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Pete-Rose-613x787
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-07-14, 15:13

Giant Moose wrote:
That would be awesome. I could display that picture next to my Pete Rose signed underwear.

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) Pete-Rose-613x787
you're much more handsome than I imagined.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-07-14, 15:25

steveschneider wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

It's not a coincidence they leaked info (before the All Star Game) he bet on games as a player.

He'll never get in the Hall.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-14, 15:35

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
The nebula formed about a thousand years ago from the supernova explosion noted by Chinese astronomers in 1054. The nebula's width, in the image below, is 8 light-years. Its length in this image is 11 light-years.

Vs.

Pluto’s most accurate diameter yet: about 1,473 miles from one end to the other, give or take 12 miles.

Should have used sarcasm smiley for you and Rocinante but those were good answers.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-14, 15:46

Floyd Robertson wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Vs.

Should have used sarcasm smiley for you and Rocinante but those were good answers.
Is a good analogy, the nebula is taking a picture of a beach, while trying to get a picture of Pluto would be like zooming in to a single grain of sand?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-14, 15:50

InTenSity wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Is a good analogy, the nebula is taking a picture of a beach, while trying to get a picture of Pluto would be like zooming in to a single grain of sand?

That's one way of looking at it.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-14, 16:31

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

It's not a coincidence they leaked info (before the All Star Game) he bet on games as a player.

The HOF is separate from the MLB, it's really just a museum. Also, I forget the commissioner that originally placed the life time ban but it never included the HOF. Two years later after the life time ban the HOF said that Rose wasn't eligible.

Manfred has said that the MLB and the HOF are separate issues as well, and that if the HOF wants to let him in they can.

Here's the thing the HOF is a totally bunk institution anyway. The selection process is totally out of whack. They should make it one simple criteria, if you are one of the top 5 players at your position for 10 or more years you are in. Cut out the writers, cut out the politics and just make it a pure museum that celebrates the extraordinary on field play.

There's always been cheating and deceit on the field, if you can get away with it then more power to you.

Bottom line, put the greatest hitter of all time, put the home run king and the greatest pitcher of the last 40 years in the HOF.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-14, 16:37

...Also, can we all agree that they should re-instate Pluto as a planet?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-07-14, 19:21

John D. Cook@JohnDCook
Photos of Pluto in 1930, 1996, and 2015

Steve talking about Pete Rose (and some stuff about that former planet Pluto) CJ4-xi3UcAAryzr
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-14, 19:32

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

The HOF is separate from the MLB, it's really just a museum. Also, I forget the commissioner that originally placed the life time ban but it never included the HOF. Two years later after the life time ban the HOF said that Rose wasn't eligible.

Manfred has said that the MLB and the HOF are separate issues as well, and that if the HOF wants to let him in they can.

Here's the thing the HOF is a totally bunk institution anyway. The selection process is totally out of whack. They should make it one simple criteria, if you are one of the top 5 players at your position for 10 or more years you are in. Cut out the writers, cut out the politics and just make it a pure museum that celebrates the extraordinary on field play.

There's always been cheating and deceit on the field, if you can get away with it then more power to you.

Bottom line, put the greatest hitter of all time, put the home run king and the greatest pitcher of the last 40 years in the HOF.

No!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-14, 19:38

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Are you serious?

Every single clubhouse has a sign saying to not bet on baseball, or you're banned from the sport. It is far and away the biggest cardinal sin in the sport, and MLB for decades has made it known that gambling on the sport means, in no uncertain terms, that you will be banned.

Pete Rose, despite seeing that sign all the time, willingly decided to bet on baseball. Then he lied about it once he got caught, then modified his lie to saying he never bet on baseball as a player so as to look more appealing to Selig for reinstatement. Then it came out that he was lying about that, too.

He does not deserve to be in the HOF. He broke baseball's cardinal rule (thereby threatening the integrity of the sport), and did so repeatedly knowing what the consequences would be if he got caught. It's not like his banishment was getting blindsided about an unknown rule...it was something that is literally in every single clubhouse and something that MLB makes known to deter players from gambling.

He's featured plenty enough in the HOF for records like being the all-time hits leader. I'm fine with him never getting in, considering the circumstances in addition to all the years of lying he did about the gambling. I do not feel bad in the slightest for Rose and he deserves what he got.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-14, 19:51

HT wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Are you serious?

Every single clubhouse has a sign saying to not bet on baseball, or you're banned from the sport. It is far and away the biggest cardinal sin in the sport, and MLB for decades has made it known that gambling on the sport means, in no uncertain terms, that you will be banned.

Pete Rose, despite seeing that sign all the time, willingly decided to bet on baseball. Then he lied about it once he got caught, then modified his lie to saying he never bet on baseball as a player so as to look more appealing to Selig for reinstatement. Then it came out that he was lying about that, too.

He does not deserve to be in the HOF. He broke baseball's cardinal rule (thereby threatening the integrity of the sport), and did so repeatedly knowing what the consequences would be if he got caught. It's not like his banishment was getting blindsided about an unknown rule...it was something that is literally in every single clubhouse and something that MLB makes known to deter players from gambling.

He's featured plenty enough in the HOF for records like being the all-time hits leader. I'm fine with him never getting in, considering the circumstances in addition to all the years of lying he did about the gambling. I do not feel bad in the slightest for Rose and he deserves what he got.

You are correct, the rule is clear and unambiguous and Pete Rose broke the rule. He should never be employed by baseball again.

Commissioner Bart Giammatti never banned Pete from the HOF just baseball. The HOF board of directors banned Pete 2 years after he was banned.

Manford the current commissioner said that Pete rose life time ban from baseball and the HOF are separate issues. If the HOF wants to put him in they can.

I hope that Pete Rose never earns a dime from the MLB for breaking the rule, but to keep him out of the HOF and to not allow the Reds to honor him is excessive.

BTW, you will see Pete honored tonight in the All Star game. He was a part of the All Century team as well. Keith Olbermann accurately pointed out that baseball has no problem affiliating their selves with Pete when they can make money off of him.

I think it's time to temper justice and show some mercy, at the very least put Pete in the HOF and let the Reds recognize him in any way they see suitable.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-14, 20:15

steveschneider wrote:
HT wrote:

Are you serious?

You are correct, the rule is clear and unambiguous and Pete Rose broke the rule. He should never be employed by baseball again.

Commissioner Bart Giammatti never banned Pete from the HOF just baseball. The HOF board of directors banned Pete 2 years after he was banned.

Manford the current commissioner said that Pete rose life time ban from baseball and the HOF are separate issues. If the HOF wants to put him in they can.

I hope that Pete Rose never earns a dime from the MLB for breaking the rule, but to keep him out of the HOF and to not allow the Reds to honor him is excessive.

BTW, you will see Pete honored tonight in the All Star game. He was a part of the All Century team as well. Keith Olbermann accurately pointed out that baseball has no problem affiliating their selves with Pete when they can make money off of him.

I think it's time to temper justice and show some mercy, at the very least put Pete in the HOF and let the Reds recognize him in any way they see suitable.

No!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next