Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border?

+3
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
NigelUno
7 posters

Go down

Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? Empty Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border?

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-11, 13:19

Good times. Seems like he's picked a new narrative these days.

Florida coronavirus cases now over 4,000 as checkpoints go up at state borders
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? Empty Re: Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border?

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-11, 14:58

Bob, let me know if I got this right - America is a very stupid country.

Also, over 4,000? The state has over 20,000 cases a day!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? Empty Re: Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border?

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-11, 15:24

steveschneider wrote:Bob, let me know if I got this right - America is a very stupid country.

Also, over 4,000? The state has over 20,000 cases a day!

4,000 = government checkpoints

20,000 = keep government out!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-11, 15:43

NigelUno wrote:Good times.  Seems like he's picked a new narrative these days.

Florida coronavirus cases now over 4,000 as checkpoints go up at state borders

He has changed his tune a lot since this began.  In the early days, when states were locking down, he wouldn't do a statewide order, which got a lot of criticism.  But his big point was that it was up to the counties and local municipalities to impose any rules, and that they know best what the situation is in their community.  Fast forward to last fall (and since) and suddenly he signs an order prohibiting local municipalities from imposing any rules on masks, restaurant capacities, etc. And now is trying to do the same with schools, to prevent them from making their own decision.

My bit of solace is that South Florida takes this more seriously than most of the state.  Only 1 county (Sumpter County, West of Orlando) has a higher vax rate than Miami-Dade.  And in every store I've been in, the masking rate was about 80% before things blew up the last few weeks, and about 90-95% masking now.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2021-08-11, 15:52

last week  he was whining about Biden doing something.. blaming brown people for the virus.. whined some more and then told Biden to stay out of the business of the state of Florida.

yesterday, the state of Florida asked the federal government for 300 ventilators.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2021-08-11, 19:48

I was definitely wrong about people being pro life.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-11, 20:31

Proof of vaccine = dictatorship.

Checkpoints and national guard questioning people at airports = freedom.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-13, 08:14

DeathSantis said a few days ago that if county school boards imposed mask mandates he would pull the board members' salaries. A couple of school boards did anyway, with some of them publicly saying that the childrens' health is more important than their salaries.

Now DeathSantis backing down because he found out that he has no power to pull their salaries. Instead he says that the board members should choose to refuse their salaries on their own. Uh, ok.

Typical Trumpy move. Talk bullshit claiming that he will do something that he doesn't have the power to do. It doesn't matter that he can't do it, it's only about scoring points with the base.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 08:54

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly/2021/03/18/how-ron-desantis-won-the-pandemic-492163

Remember when the media was pumping this guy up as some kind of Covid rock star?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-13, 11:46

steveschneider wrote:https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly/2021/03/18/how-ron-desantis-won-the-pandemic-492163

Remember when the media was pumping this guy up as some kind of Covid rock star?

For whatever reason, they didn't get hit that hard before. They are now. If he gets credit for the good, he gets blamed for the bad (except by his supporters of course).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-08-13, 14:26

Right to Life supporter DeSantis has now set up Rapid Respnse center in Jacksonville where COVID patients will get Regeneron.

The drug that was developed using stem cells. I wonder how much DeSantis newest idea with Regeneron treatments will cost the state or is he planning on the state billing the Federal government he regularly condemns.

DeSantis duplicity never ceases to astound.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/gov-desantis-unveils-jacksonville-site-for-getting-regeneron-treatment-of-covid-infections/ar-AANfzUL
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-13, 15:38

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly/2021/03/18/how-ron-desantis-won-the-pandemic-492163

For whatever reason, they didn't get hit that hard before.  They are now.  If he gets credit for the good, he gets blamed for the bad (except by his supporters of course).  

We got hit hard before.  We were the biggest hot spot in the world last July/August, too (other sun belt states were similar and IIRC, California got worse a little later).  It is hot as hell in the summer, even at night.  We are almost as closed in during the summer as Northerners are in the winter. We can't open our windows for a breeze.  At least your temps in Atlanta get nice at night.

Conversely, we've done better in the winter when windows are open and people are outside more. But some Northeaster writing a politico article in March didn't bother to think about any of that.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 16:01

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

For whatever reason, they didn't get hit that hard before.  They are now.  If he gets credit for the good, he gets blamed for the bad (except by his supporters of course).  

We got hit hard before.  We were the biggest hot spot in the world last July/August, too (other sun belt states were similar and IIRC, California got worse a little later).  It is hot as hell in the summer, even at night.  We are almost as closed in during the summer as Northerners are in the winter. We can't open our windows for a breeze.  At least your temps in Atlanta get nice at night.

Conversely, we've done better in the winter when windows are open and people are outside more. But some Northeaster writing a politico article in March didn't bother to think about any of that.

It was around the time all the right wingers were screaming about the 60 Minutes Desantis segment. After that a few articles came out about Desantis as a Covid Rockstar Gov came out. Too lazy to look for others but they are out there.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-13, 16:12

I don't remember DeSantis being a Covid rock star outside of MAGA circles. Actually, I remember him being vilified.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 16:16

Turtleneck wrote:I don't remember DeSantis being a Covid rock star outside of MAGA circles. Actually, I remember him being vilified.

Good to know.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 16:22

NigelUno wrote:

For whatever reason, they didn't get hit that hard before. They are now. If he gets credit for the good, he gets blamed for the bad (except by his supporters of course).

It's pretty crazy they even ran with that headline. Pandemic wasn't even close to being over with.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-13, 17:39

steveschneider wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I don't remember DeSantis being a Covid rock star outside of MAGA circles. Actually, I remember him being vilified.

Good to know.

I could be wrong. Maybe he was widely celebrated at the beginning. It was a long time ago.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-13, 17:42

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Good to know.

I could be wrong. Maybe he was widely celebrated at the beginning. It was a long time ago.

He did his victory lap in April 2020, then was a disaster in the summer.

Steve is taking a couple of random articles by people obviously influenced by DeSantis' PR team, and generalizing that the press in general was all taking that stance. The other 95% of the non-right wing media weren't praising him.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-13, 17:49

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

He did his victory lap in April 2020, then was a disaster in the summer.

Steve is taking a couple of random articles by people obviously influenced by DeSantis' PR team, and generalizing that the press in general was all taking that stance. The other 95% of the non-right wing media weren't praising him.

If you say so.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-14, 05:46

Incoming!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/17/politics/ron-desantis-covid-florida/index.html

“ St. Petersburg, Florida (CNN)After a year of criticism by health experts, mockery from comedians and blistering critiques from political rivals, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is standing unabashedly tall among the nation's governors on the front lines of the coronavirus fight.”

LOL what an opening paragraph.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-14, 12:41

So a reporter writing an article on a speech that the governor gave praising himself, while also including plenty of counterpoints in that article (in other words actually acting like a journalist and not an OpEd writer), is "pumping him up as a Covid Rock Star."?

Fine, you want the NYT, CNN, etc., to be a propaganda arm for the Dems because FoxNews is that for the Republicans. I tend to think that would be horrible.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-16, 08:35

Incoming!!!!

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/03/18/ron-desantis-profile-covid-florida-2024-476777

'SUMTERVILLE, Fla.—He was right.'

Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 502811600 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 502811600 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 502811600

Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 3775540924 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 3775540924 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 3775540924

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-16, 08:37

MiamiSpartan wrote:So a reporter writing an article on a speech that the governor gave praising himself, while also including plenty of counterpoints in that article (in other words actually acting like a journalist and not an OpEd writer), is "pumping him up as a Covid Rock Star."?

Fine, you want the NYT, CNN, etc., to be a propaganda arm for the Dems because FoxNews is that for the Republicans. I tend to think that would be horrible.

I agree with your last sentence 100%. I'm critical of how they covered him after that 60 Minutes Segment. It was as if some of the media was afraid of getting accused of liberal bias so they course corrected.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-16, 13:51

Every article you've posted are from almost the exact same date, based on when he had a big victory lap press conference, complete with a PR push. That pretty much shows that everyone is just A) covering his press conference, and B) citing his PR team's spin. That's the point I was making. No need to let a couple reporters being lazy 5 months ago get you into such a tizzy?

And to be fair, at that time, if you just took a top-level cursory look, the numbers didn't look too bad (Florida being in the middle of the pack), especially considering he had acted like a dick and put people's lives in danger. So that's what he was felating himself about. However, a closer, more nuanced look, like the CNN article provided, discusses how the weather, local community rules, and local behaviors helped the numbers (things I've said in this thread and elsewhere many times). I believe the CNN article also pointed out that Florida would probably be doing much better if he wasn't an idiot with his cavalier attitude and lifting of (banning of) restrictions.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-16, 22:23

Last week, after just 2 days of school, more than 400 kids in Palm Beach County had to isolate or quarantine.  

Now, after a week of school, 5600 students in Hillsboro County (Tampa) have to isolate/quarantine.

Both districts followed DeathSantis' rule that they can't pass a mask mandate (or technically, that if there is a mandate, parents can choose to opt out without explanation...meaning it isn't a mandate).  

Broward (Ft Lauderdale) starts tomorrow, and Miami-Dade starts next week.  Both districts are defying DeathSantis and requiring any kids that are opting out to have a doctor's note.  Will be interesting to see how the results compare, whatever they end up being.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-08-17, 15:27

So can we count on enough GOP voters dying before 2024?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 15:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:Every article you've posted are from almost the exact same date, based on when he had a big victory lap press conference, complete with a PR push. That pretty much shows that everyone is just A) covering his press conference, and B) citing his PR team's spin. That's the point I was making. No need to let a couple reporters being lazy 5 months ago get you into such a tizzy?

And to be fair, at that time, if you just took a top-level cursory look, the numbers didn't look too bad (Florida being in the middle of the pack), especially considering he had acted like a dick and put people's lives in danger. So that's what he was felating himself about. However, a closer, more nuanced look, like the CNN article provided, discusses how the weather, local community rules, and local behaviors helped the numbers (things I've said in this thread and elsewhere many times). I believe the CNN article also pointed out that Florida would probably be doing much better if he wasn't an idiot with his cavalier attitude and lifting of (banning of) restrictions.

The CNN article is a completely different author than the Politico author. I thought it was funny that he was so enamored by Desantis he had to write not one but two fan boy articles.

Also, Incoming!!!!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vindication-for-ron-desantis-11614986751

"Vindication" Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 502811600 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 502811600 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 502811600 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 502811600

Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 3775540924 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 3775540924 Remember when DeSantis set up checkpoints at the Florida border? 3775540924
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-08-17, 16:02

I don't have a WSJ subscription. Let me guess, it's from on or about March 18? Not really sure what your point is in posting months old articles.

Here's a more recent one for you.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/08/is-ron-desantiss-fox-news-obsession-backfiring-on-florida
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-17, 16:14

Florida did OK early on because they injected sunlight (and bleach) into people's veins.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 17:02

MiamiSpartan wrote:I don't have a WSJ subscription. Let me guess, it's from on or about March 18? Not really sure what your point is in posting months old articles.

Here's a more recent one for you.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/08/is-ron-desantiss-fox-news-obsession-backfiring-on-florida

It's from March of this year. It's around the time I claimed the media was obsessed with giving praise for his Covid work.

30,000 Floridians had died around then

He made a big order for Hydroxychloroquine

He was selling merch that ripped on Fauci

IMO Desantis has been a pandemic villain the entire way. The article you sent looks good to me and is more in line with my view of him. Thanks for sending I'll definitely give it a read.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down