Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethical question: if wagyu beef is 3D-Bio printed, can vegans and vegetarians eat it?

+5
Rick Saunders
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
9 posters

Go down

Ethical question: if wagyu beef is 3D-Bio printed, can vegans and vegetarians eat it?   Empty Ethical question: if wagyu beef is 3D-Bio printed, can vegans and vegetarians eat it?

Post by DWags 2021-08-25, 13:19

If it’s not from a dead animal, it’s not technically meat, or is it?

I’m glad I’m dead in 20 years. You young guys are gonna have shit decisions to make.

https://phys.org/news/2021-08-3d-bioprinted-wagyu-beef-like-meat.html
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Ethical question: if wagyu beef is 3D-Bio printed, can vegans and vegetarians eat it?   Empty Re: Ethical question: if wagyu beef is 3D-Bio printed, can vegans and vegetarians eat it?

Post by DWags 2021-08-25, 13:20

Where’s the beef?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Ethical question: if wagyu beef is 3D-Bio printed, can vegans and vegetarians eat it?   Empty Re: Ethical question: if wagyu beef is 3D-Bio printed, can vegans and vegetarians eat it?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-25, 13:23

I would think that would qualify as meat in the eyes of a vegetarian tbh dwags. It’s not always just about an overt love of animals
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-25, 13:26

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I would think that would qualify as meat in the eyes of a vegetarian tbh dwags. It’s not always just about an overt love of animals

Good point. Never thought of that. What do you call the people who will eat fish but no other forms of meat? No trying to conflate my question but I’m curious if there’s a name for them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-25, 13:39

Catholics I believe
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-25, 13:41

Personally though, as a meat eater, if they could 3D print a steak that’s the size of a pizza box and tastes the same or better then I’m all over that shit I don’t need to be convinced. I don’t care if it comes from an animal or a nerds basement
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-08-25, 13:57

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I would think that would qualify as meat in the eyes of a vegetarian tbh dwags. It’s not always just about an overt love of animals

Good point. Never thought of that. What do you call the people who will eat fish but no other forms of meat? No trying to conflate my question but I’m curious if there’s a name for them.

pescatarian
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-08-25, 14:12

Tried a wagyu burger.  It was squishy.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-25, 14:16

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Catholics I believe

Ethical question: if wagyu beef is 3D-Bio printed, can vegans and vegetarians eat it?   502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2021-08-25, 15:46

Yes, I'd like the burger in Helvetica, bold, with French's and catsup. Are your fries cooked in pure vegetable oil? Ok I'll take those, no pickle... cuke shortage.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

DWags and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2021-08-25, 16:06

Insofar as a vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat, they would not eat 3d printed steak. But once that is a reality, I suspect a non-negligible percentage of vegetarians would stop being vegetarians and simply avoid meat that actually came from an animal in favor of the 3d printed stuff.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-08-25, 16:09

Meat is murder. Dairy is assault.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-08-25, 16:28

Rick Saunders wrote:Yes, I'd like the burger in Helvetica, bold, with French's and catsup. Are your fries cooked in pure vegetable oil? Ok I'll take those, no pickle... cuke shortage.

Gotta believe chicken would come in comic sans.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-08-25, 16:44

Cameron wrote:Insofar as a vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat, they would not eat 3d printed steak. But once that is a reality, I suspect a non-negligible percentage of vegetarians would stop being vegetarians and simply avoid meat that actually came from an animal in favor of the 3d printed stuff.

Right. Since no animal was harmed and if the vegetarian liked the taste of meat despite giving it up, I could imagine some going back to enjoying a burger.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-08-25, 16:54

kinda on topic, but i hope to become vegetarian soon-ish. have always thought about it. wonder what the reuben replacement for vegetarians is.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-25, 16:57

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:kinda on topic, but i hope to become vegetarian soon-ish. have always thought about it. wonder what the reuben replacement for vegetarians is.

I think it would just be the same thing without corned beef tbh otpt. I think you could add like a quorn patty or something but thatd be less about taste and more about adding something else to it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-08-25, 17:03

still delicious and the best sandwich of all time with or without the murder i reckon
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-25, 17:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:still delicious and the best sandwich of all time with or without the murder i reckon

My fiancée is a vegetarian otpt, so I can hook you up with plenty of recipes and ideas if it helps. I am not, though about half the time I don’t bother with meat. A lot of the time what we’ll do is cook stuff and I’ll cook meat separately if I want and add it. It works.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-08-25, 17:33

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:still delicious and the best sandwich of all time with or without the murder i reckon

My fiancée is a vegetarian otpt, so I can hook you up with plenty of recipes and ideas if it helps. I am not, though about half the time I don’t bother with meat. A lot of the time what we’ll do is cook stuff and I’ll cook meat separately if I want and add it. It works.

Same situation with me. Wife will eat turkey breast and fish, but that’s about it. No beef, chicken, or pork. I can do without most of the time, but when I’m fixing fried rice, I want the chicken in it, so I cook it separately. nbd.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2021-08-26, 15:20

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:kinda on topic, but i hope to become vegetarian soon-ish. have always thought about it. wonder what the reuben replacement for vegetarians is.

For bloodthirsty savages like me the corned beef is the whole point but I think for decent human beings ya gotta go with beefed corn.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-26, 15:49

We t boating last week and stopped at a restaurant up by Agonac. They had a perch Reuben. He got it. He loved it.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2021-08-27, 12:38

I have good friends who became vegetarians years ago. They still have 1 day a year where they "splurge" and eat meat.

And that 3D printed stuff looks like plastic
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down