Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit. I guess we get introduced to “Huge”

+5
Nordic
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
NigelUno
DWags
9 posters

Go down

Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit.  I guess we get introduced to “Huge” Empty Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit. I guess we get introduced to “Huge”

Post by DWags 01/09/21, 04:31 pm

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2021/09/01/local-radio-stations-launch-the-roar-simulcast-detroit-sports-talk-programming/5679805001/

Two local radio stations are getting into the sports-talk radio game.

Beasley Media Group-owned 93.5 and 99.1 FM have launched "The ROAR," unveiling syndicated but Detroit-centric programming that will air from 3 to 6 p.m. on weekdays. As part of the deal, the stations will simulcast programming from the previously all-digital network Woodward Sports Network, funded in large part by Lady Jane's founder Chad Johnson.

I am beyond excited for our partnership with Beasley and 'The ROAR',” Johnson said in a statement. "The Woodward Sports Network personalities will bring a fresh, credible, and knowledgeable opinion that our city has been missing for quite some time. I am so happy that our network can provide Beasley a sports punch that Detroiters desperately seek.”

Airing from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. will be Woodward Sports Network's two signature shows — a show with former Lions running back Joique Bell and Red Wings legend Darren McCarty, and occasionally featuring former Detroit News columnist and 97.1 The Ticket host Terry Foster, hosted by Neal Ruhl; as well as a show featuring former Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards, hosted by Ryan Ermanni.

In the mornings, from 6 to 9, the stations will air "X's & BrO's" with Anthony Bellino, and in the afternoon from 3 to 6 they will air the west Michigan-based "Huge Show" with Bill Simonson. Both shows are part of the Michigan Sports Network.

There’s a new sports animal in the Motor City — 'The ROAR!'” Mac Edwards, Beasley Media Group's vice president and market manager, said in a statement. “We are absolutely thrilled to partner with Chad Johnson from Woodward Sports Network as well as Marty Booher at MSN and the crew at SportsMap Radio to deliver some of the most compelling sports content Motor City fans have ever experienced!”

"The ROAR" is billing this partnership as the first lick of competition for sports-talk powerhouse 97.1 The Ticket since Detroit Sports 105.1's four-year run ended in 2016, but it's really not. But it doesn't necessarily need to be, either. The syndication format is a much-cheaper business model than stocking a station with salaries of exclusive talent, so the margins are more tolerable.

Beasley Media, based in Florida, has more than 60 radio stations across the country.

The two in Metro Detroit switching to sports, 93.5 and 99.1, previously were outlets for the Detroit PRAISE Network, which now can be heard on 98.3 and 99.9 FM.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit.  I guess we get introduced to “Huge” Empty Re: Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit. I guess we get introduced to “Huge”

Post by NigelUno 01/09/21, 04:39 pm

At any rate...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit.  I guess we get introduced to “Huge” Empty Re: Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit. I guess we get introduced to “Huge”

Post by Turtleneck 01/09/21, 04:42 pm

Is he still a massive UM fan? He represents the worst of sports radio.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 01/09/21, 05:37 pm

Be patient.  Bill Simonson is his biggest fan.  He was the #1 sports talk host in the afternoon drive slot when a guy named Matt Hanlon who was GM of the Citadel Broadcasting cluster in GR resurrected Simonson’s career after he was fired in Chicago about 20 years ago.  

8-10 years later, 3 to 6 months after 96.1 (iHeart) changed formats to ESPN sports talk they brought in Sean Baligian whose drive time show ratings overtook Simonson’s show in the ratings in less than 6 months and The Huge Show was #2 of 2 in the sports talk format.

Subsequently Cumulus bought Citadel.  Simonson’s fairy godfather station GM Matt Hanlon who had advanced to VP of Midwest markets (about 75 stations) was let go. About a year later Cumulus changed format on a powerful 107.3 fm to county, relegated Simonson to low power 1340 am then didn’t sign  Simonson to a new contract when his expired.

WOTS is his show is self-produced aka Tim Staudt where Simonson was buying time for his show.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 01/09/21, 07:02 pm

Westsiders on tRCMB think he is a huge POS. I've heard him a couple times driving through. He sounded like a dude that liked hearing himself talk.

Does anyone listen to sports radio any more? Only time I do after we throttle Michigan I'll turn on Valenti.

I'll give it a month.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 01/09/21, 07:06 pm

Huge news for Detroit Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit.  I guess we get introduced to “Huge” 502811600

As nordic says, if you're listening to sports talk radio you kinda deserve it
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 01/09/21, 07:06 pm

Sounds like a Huge mistake.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

DWags and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 01/09/21, 09:37 pm

Huge blowhard. Pass.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 01/09/21, 09:39 pm

Can you put me in touch with the station director? I have a show id like to pitch to them.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

NigelUno, Other Teams Pursuing That, DWags and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 01/09/21, 09:40 pm

steveschneider wrote:Can you put me in touch with the station director? I have a show id like to pitch to them.

Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit.  I guess we get introduced to “Huge” 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 01/09/21, 09:53 pm

steveschneider wrote:Can you put me in touch with the station director? I have a show id like to pitch to them.

Another sports talk radio station coming to Detroit.  I guess we get introduced to “Huge” 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down