Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial trouble

+6
CaptainSlow33
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
10 posters

Go down

Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial  trouble Empty Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial trouble

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-01-28, 10:32

Diamond Sports Group, the Sinclair Broadcasting subsidiary that owns the Bally Sports regional networks in 19 MLB markets is in deep financial trouble.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/bally-sports-owners-facing-bankruptcy/ar-AA16OGSf
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial  trouble Empty Re: Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial trouble

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-28, 10:35

Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial  trouble 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5m941oc1y7mvwb20iy58z6wv0ewbdpdua57m6u4r8&rid=200

Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial  trouble 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5ftlfis1ior0xoopxsl0btp8eu0ubm6dk1s73re95&rid=200

Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial  trouble 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5pjczh3ro7uti52418z23pq28v6wh9jwi4jrwdxxu&rid=200
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial  trouble Empty Re: Bally Sports Detroit owner Diamond Sports Group in financial trouble

Post by Turtleneck 2023-01-28, 10:46

Good
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-28, 11:11

Sinclair? Broke? That’s a shame.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson, Travis of the Cosmos and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-28, 11:12

I mean, Sinclair has always been morally bankrupt.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Travis of the Cosmos, AvgMSUJoe and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-28, 11:38

My only regret is that I have but one life to give toward the destruction of Sinclair
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-28, 21:08

Sinclair?

Pass…..
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-01-28, 21:09

kingstonlake wrote:Sinclair?

Pass…..

What you did there? I seen it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-01-17, 10:22

This is wonderful news

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/01/17/diamond-sports-emerge-from-bankruptcy-signs-streaming-pact-amazon.html

I’ll finally be able to watch a pistons game! I haven’t kept up with them lately let’s just have a quick look at the standings. Oh. Oh no.

But really I haven’t been able to watch opening day in years unless I went to it and that’s just been sad. This is coming just in time for the tigers resurgence
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-17, 10:29

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This is wonderful news

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/01/17/diamond-sports-emerge-from-bankruptcy-signs-streaming-pact-amazon.html

I’ll finally be able to watch a pistons game! I haven’t kept up with them lately let’s just have a quick look at the standings. Oh. Oh no.

But really I haven’t been able to watch opening day in years unless I went to it and that’s just been sad. This is coming just in time for the tigers resurgence

Wait, does this really mean Pistons on Amazon? That would be awesome. I hardly ever get to see a Pistons game live. I just watch the recaps on the NBA app.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-01-17, 10:31

Turtleneck wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This is wonderful news

Wait, does this really mean Pistons on Amazon? That would be awesome. I hardly ever get to see a Pistons game live. I just watch the  recaps on the NBA app.
I guess. No idea if it’ll still be regional or what. Or when it would start for that matter.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2024-01-17, 10:37

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Wait, does this really mean Pistons on Amazon? That would be awesome. I hardly ever get to see a Pistons game live. I just watch the  recaps on the NBA app.
I guess. No idea if it’ll still be regional or what. Or when it would start for that matter.

Can't you do something? You're a damn mod on tSwill. Use your power and influence.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-01-17, 10:43

Turtleneck wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Can't you do something? You're a damn mod on tSwill. Use your power and influence.
How do you think we got to this point turtleneck? Do you think that the bankruptcy was from simple financial mismanagement?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-01-17, 12:55

Looking forward to dancing on its grave. It has taken all the joy out of baseball and hockey season. The sooner it dies, the better.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2024-01-17, 18:39

CaptainSlow33 wrote:Looking forward to dancing on its grave. It has taken all the joy out of baseball and hockey season. The sooner it dies, the better.
Doesn't sound like it's quite dying, being reanimated with Bezos money and probably still be PPV, but on Amazon.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-01-17, 20:20

Looks like you’ll add a MLB/Tiger channel to Amazon TV like you add Acorn or BBC. You get Thursday Night NFL in the Amazon package but not Tiger baseball.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-17, 20:33

Well there's the death of baseball I was waiting for.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-01-18, 07:51

GRR Spartan wrote:Looks like you’ll add a MLB/Tiger channel to Amazon TV like you add Acorn or BBC. You get Thursday Night NFL in the Amazon package but not Tiger baseball.

Where will baseball be aired then? One of the local stations posted an article saying that Wings, Pistons, and MLB would be on Prime.

If the MLB is concerned with keeping fans engaged with the sport, they should probably think about making games easier for the average fan to watch.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-18, 09:37

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Looks like you’ll add a MLB/Tiger channel to Amazon TV like you add Acorn or BBC. You get Thursday Night NFL in the Amazon package but not Tiger baseball.

Where will baseball be aired then? One of the local stations posted an article saying that Wings, Pistons, and MLB would be on Prime.

If the MLB is concerned with keeping fans engaged with the sport, they should probably think about making games easier for the average fan to watch.
Included with prime is one thing... an additional subscription to have access through prime is something else.
More and more kids these days don't give a shit about sports in general, if there are major hurdles (financial and otherwise) to access these games, you might as well kiss pro sports as we know them goodbye (in the next decade).
What would a USA without "bread and circuses" of pro sports look like? Sheesh.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-01-18, 10:02

I think you’re being quite dramatic
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-01-18, 10:13

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:

Included with prime is one thing... an additional subscription to have access through prime is something else.
More and more kids these days don't give a shit about sports in general, if there are major hurdles (financial and otherwise) to access these games, you might as well kiss pro sports as we know them goodbye (in the next decade).
What would a USA without "bread and circuses" of pro sports look like? Sheesh.

Personally, I don't think pro sports will ever die. Above all, they are a business - right now they are riding the streaming service fad, but people are increasingly getting fed up with all the extra streaming services popping up. I expect we'll see the media companies, as well as the pro sports leagues, alter their models accordingly to maximize their profits.

Lately, I've been following games by radio. For MLB, I've actually had to subscribe to their app, but I get access to all the broadcasts of every game being played. It's significantly cheaper than paying for a streaming service, and I have found that I actually enjoy it more. I've also subscribed to the Canadian Hockey League's app so I can watch all the Junior Whale Shit Hockey that I care to see per year. Again, it IS another subscription, but it's $90 for the whole season. I think giving people the option for add-ons is the way to go for the time being. I certainly think that there is a way to manage this that doesn't alienate sports fans, but right now it's just a transparent moneygrab. I shouldn't pay for a service with the understanding that I will get to watch my team play, only to get a message that I'm blacked out when I try to use the service I paid for.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-01-18, 10:51

My son and daughter-in-law are outliers. They are big Tigers/MLB fans and have MLB network.

I’m 30 years older and only watched 2 dozen games on Sunday nights and the last games of the playoffs/World Series last year.

I loved baseball since I was in grade school. Would never miss Tigers/Cubs radio broadcasts, read the box scores, badgered my parents to get me a subscription to Sporting News.

My interest started to wane when the games got harder to find due to places like WGN/Superstations losing baseball and the games lasting too long.

Amazon can help baseball because many are already have AmazonTV and will be willing to give their local broadcast a shot.

What’s killed MLB TV is their damned blackout rules. Your product has already been overtaken by football, basketball is cutting in so the solution is to make it less available to your fans?
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-01-18, 10:58

GRR Spartan wrote:My son and daughter-in-law are outliers. They are big Tigers/MLB fans and have MLB network.

I’m 30 years older and only watched 2 dozen games on Sunday nights and the last games of the playoffs/World Series last year.

I loved baseball since I was in grade school. Would never miss Tigers/Cubs radio broadcasts, read the box scores, badgered my parents to get me a subscription to Sporting News.

My interest started to wane when the games got harder to find due to places like WGN/Superstations losing baseball and the games lasting too long.

Amazon can help baseball because many are already have AmazonTV and will be willing to give their local broadcast a shot.

What’s killed MLB TV is their damned blackout rules. Your product has already been overtaken by football, basketball is cutting in so the solution is to make it less available to your fans?

You are exactly right.

When I was a kid in the 90s, my grandpa and I would watch baseball every Friday and Saturday night - it was so easy! We had the Tigers on Fox Sports, the Cubs and Harry Caray on WGN, and the Braves on TNT. Sometimes we'd even get the Cleveland Indians on one of the stations. If, for some reason, the game WASN'T on TV (rare), we'd listen to Ernie Harwell call the game on the radio. Now I feel lucky of I can get the Tigers on one of my non-MLB app streaming radio stations. There is absolutely no reason that the games should be so hard to find. You shouldn't need 3 different streaming services to follow your team. I still enjoy MLB, but I definitely feel like it has pushed me more toward minor league baseball.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2024-01-18, 22:53

I think mlb would be surprised how many subscribers they would gain if they gave you all the games on mlbtv with no national game or local blackouts
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-01-19, 08:31

aualum06 wrote:I think mlb would be surprised how many subscribers they would gain if they gave you all the games on mlbtv with no national game or local blackouts

I've spent more money on services that I enjoy less. If MLB offered access to all games through their service, I'd drop other services to pay for it. They won't do it, because reasons, but they absolutely should.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

aualum06 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-19, 10:15

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I think you’re being quite dramatic
Yeah, maybe I went down a rabbit hole a little, that said... my "love for the game" came from the local broadcasts of PASS games. Always on and available. If I had to search for the games or actually pay extra for them??? 1) My Dad wouldn't have done it. 2)I would have learned to play guitar or had more girlfriends or do a million other things instead of watching baseball (Hockey/Basketball).
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-01-19, 10:38

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I think you’re being quite dramatic
Yeah, maybe I went down a rabbit hole a little, that said... my "love for the game" came from the local broadcasts of PASS games. Always on and available. If I had to search for the games or actually pay extra for them??? 1) My Dad wouldn't have done it. 2)I would have learned to play guitar or had more girlfriends or do a million other things instead of watching baseball (Hockey/Basketball).

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't really even bother me that games are going to streaming sites. It is what it is. What bugs me is that they are splitting which sites they broadcast the games on. I could get the B1G streaming site to watch MSU, but there's a decent chance that maybe only a few MSU games will be on there - some will be on ESPN and some may be on Peacock. I could get Bally Sports to watch the Red Wings, but I'll just sit there feeling pissed while watching the Red Wings games that are on my Hulu Live networks. If leagues want to broadcast the games via streaming, fine. I'm happy to pay to watch the teams that I like. If that's the plan, though, put them all on a single site, and don't black me out from watching games outside my market. That's just going to piss me off.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-01-19, 11:54

I illegally stream everything I can and I feel not a single bit of guilt in doing so. Those greedy fucks can suck the money out the tip of my cock.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-01-19, 12:49

Cameron wrote:I illegally stream everything I can and I feel not a single bit of guilt in doing so. Those greedy fucks can suck the money out the tip of my cock.

If I was smart enough to find an illegal stream that wasn't also a computer virus, you'd best believe I'd be pirating the streams as well. Feel absolutely no guilt about robbing from those rich fucks.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-19, 13:24

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't really even bother me that games are going to streaming sites. It is what it is. What bugs me is that they are splitting which sites they broadcast the games on. I could get the B1G streaming site to watch MSU, but there's a decent chance that maybe only a few MSU games will be on there - some will be on ESPN and some may be on Peacock. I could get Bally Sports to watch the Red Wings, but I'll just sit there feeling pissed while watching the Red Wings games that are on my Hulu Live networks. If leagues want to broadcast the games via streaming, fine. I'm happy to pay to watch the teams that I like. If that's the plan, though, put them all on a single site, and don't black me out from watching games outside my market. That's just going to piss me off.
My password for peacock includes "Extortion". I pay by watching your shitty commercials.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down