Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil Parker

+2
Heat Miser
DWags
6 posters

Go down

Phil Parker Empty Phil Parker

Post by DWags 2021-10-01, 22:47

If Tucker has wandering eyes and Iowa doesn’t give Him the job when Ferentz leaves, would you like him here or is he pushing it age wise.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Phil Parker Empty Re: Phil Parker

Post by Heat Miser 2021-10-02, 00:32

I'm good with Scottie.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-10-02, 04:15

Nah. MSU isn’t the program for someone who has never been a HC before. Let’s also remember he’s been at Iowa for 20+ years and in that time, the Hawkeyes have underperformed more often than not. How many years has there been discussion that, if it weren’t for his ridiculously long contract, Ferentz, and by extension — Parker, would have been let go? I seem to recall it was quite a few seasons in the 2010s.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2021-10-02, 09:06

Have no clue on the internal politics in the Iowa Athletic Department but if major donors have a say and to date AD Barta who is 58 has been a good listener.

Kirk Ferentz is 66.
Parker is 58. Left Toledo as a DB coach after 11 seasons to join Ferentz’s staff in ‘99 and DC Norm Parker as DB coach. Got the DC job when Norm Parker retired. Phil Parker’s history doesn’t scream job hopper.

OC Brian Ferentz is 38.

DWags, you were in the college coaching sphere and you knew some folks. From an outsider/fan perspective it looks like Ferentz, based on Norm Parker’s recommendation hired Phil Parker to be the DB coach. MAC/Toledo to Big Ten/Iowa was a major pay bump. Phil Parker has done a great job but now it’s the age number that comes into play and maybe Phil Parker hasn’t had HC on his radar.

If Brian Ferentz succeeds his father I can see Phil Parker getting an AHC/DC title if the OC Ferentz and DC Parker get along.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-10-02, 09:12

Thank you, GRR.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-10-02, 09:13

I’m with Graham Couch I think Luke Fickell is the next Iowa coach.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-10-02, 09:28

GRR Spartan wrote:Have no clue on the internal politics in the Iowa Athletic Department but if major donors have a say and to date AD Barta who is 58 has been a good listener.

Kirk Ferentz is 66.
Parker is 58. Left Toledo as a DB coach after 11 seasons to join Ferentz’s staff in ‘99 and DC Norm Parker as DB coach. Got the DC job when Norm Parker retired. Phil Parker’s history doesn’t scream job hopper.

OC Brian Ferentz is 38.

DWags, you were in the college coaching sphere and you knew some folks. From an outsider/fan perspective it looks like Ferentz, based on Norm Parker’s recommendation hired Phil Parker to be the DB coach. MAC/Toledo to Big Ten/Iowa was a major pay bump. Phil Parker has done a great job but now it’s the age number that comes into play and maybe Phil Parker hasn’t had HC on his radar.

If Brian Ferentz succeeds his father I can see Phil Parker getting an AHC/DC title if the OC Ferentz and DC Parker get along.

Yeah, I have no idea about his recruiting acumen, how he handles a room or how he can coordinate a whole staff and interact with alumni the administration, all that stuff. There are guys out there who just don't want to be a head coach. Making good money, staying out of the spotlight, doing what they love. And yes, the age number is now a huge factor with Parker. I wonder if he'd do an NFL DC when Frenz leaves. The dynamic of staying at Iowa would feel weird if Bryan gets the head coaching job. But who knows. He certainly has a great gig right now and is doing about as good as anyone in college football.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down