Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This woman gets paid to be a journalist

+2
Probably CF
NigelUno
6 posters

Go down

This woman gets paid to be a journalist  Empty This woman gets paid to be a journalist

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-15, 14:54

[tw]1460307978591129608[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Probably CF likes this post

Back to top Go down

This woman gets paid to be a journalist  Empty Re: This woman gets paid to be a journalist

Post by Probably CF 2021-11-15, 15:17

325 people liked that post… the most mundane shit you can imagine and 325 people are like “yep, this is the content for me.”
Probably CF
Probably CF
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

This woman gets paid to be a journalist  Empty Re: This woman gets paid to be a journalist

Post by tGreenWay 2021-11-15, 15:30

Seems more like she gets paid to be what she is; a fan girl. That’s what the DN wants from her and that’s all she’s ever been.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Probably CF likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2021-11-15, 17:03

The Iraqi information minister was more objective and realistic in his reporting.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-11-15, 17:14

tGreenWay wrote:Seems more like she gets paid to be what she is; a fan girl. That’s what the DN wants from her and that’s all she’s ever been.

I don't know much about the newspaper industry, but is it normal for somebody to remain a team beat writer for 30 years?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-11-15, 18:01

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Seems more like she gets paid to be what she is; a fan girl. That’s what the DN wants from her and that’s all she’s ever been.

I don't know much about the newspaper industry, but is it normal for somebody to remain a team beat writer for 30 years?

Why not? Her husband is a bariatric surgeon and is L-O-A-D-E-D so why not be a beat writer for one of the most recognized brands in sports.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-11-15, 18:52

Turtleneck wrote:

Not really. It’s happened, but probably a lot less likely these days. Tom Kowalski and Mike O’Hara come to mind. Kowalski was on the beat his entire adult life. Not sure about O’Hara, although I find it interesting that Mike O joined the Lions after leaving the newspaper biz.
From what I recall, most writers on beats rotate out after a few years in order to keep things fresh. What’s most unusual these days is any reporter staying in the paper biz for 30 years. Angelique is a reporter in name only. She really is just an arm of the scum PR machine.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-11-15, 18:56

Motown Spartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Why not? Her husband is a bariatric surgeon and is L-O-A-D-E-D so why not be a beat writer for one of the most recognized brands in sports.

I don't know about her marital status or personal finances. It seems that after spending time as beat writers, sports journalists will move on to staff positions with more responsibility and greater visibility. Maybe that is her choice, or maybe her media peers see her the way we do...primarily a UM fan disguised as a journalist.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-11-15, 19:01

Turtleneck wrote:

Jack Ebling had a good run.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-11-15, 19:07

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Was he an MSU football beat writer for 30 years? According to her bio, she was hired as the UM football beat writer in 1992. I feel like Ebling covered a lot. Didn't he write a book about the Tigers?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-11-15, 19:27

Turtleneck wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I don't know about her marital status or personal finances. It seems that after spending time as beat writers, sports journalists will move on to staff positions with more responsibility and greater visibility. Maybe that is her choice, or maybe her media peers see her the way we do...primarily a UM fan disguised as a journalist.

Yep. The goal was always to do the job so well that you got hired at a bigger paper for a better paycheck and more readers. Some busted their butts but stuck around hoping to land a gig as an editor either at the same paper or another one owned by the same company. Some had situations where leaving the geographic area wasn’t tenable, for whatever reason(s). Maybe the latter is Chengelis’ situation, but it sure seems as if she has no professional drive to leave her little area of the toy department. She certainly contributes nothing as an actual reporter breaking stories, challenging the status quo, asking uncomfortable questions. She’s as close to the program as they’ll let her get, a d she’s been too comfortable for far too long.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-11-15, 19:34

Turtleneck wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Was he an MSU football beat writer for 30 years? According to her bio, she was hired as the UM football beat writer in 1992. I feel like Ebling covered a lot. Didn't he write a book about the Tigers?

Jack has done quite a few things. He was on the MSU beat, then covered the team, but as a columnist, not as a beat writer. That was back when the Journal had multiple writers covering the team. He did radio for years, now has his tv show. It’s always been MSU-centric, but for years, Jack could get stories that others couldn’t, and he wrote the good, bad, and terribly ugly and wasn’t afraid (probably still isn’t) to ask questions everyone knew would piss off the sources who got the questions. That’s one noticeable diff b/t Jack and Angelique.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down