Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pros and Cons of having a cottage on an island

+7
Floyd Robertson
Motown Spartan
PennSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
aualum06
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
11 posters

Go down

Pros and Cons of having a cottage on an island Empty Pros and Cons of having a cottage on an island

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 15:23

Our search for a vacation cottage has begun in earnest. Been traveling the glorious Up North of northwest Lower Michigan with Mrs. GreenWay, looking at available properties. Covered a few of the more familiar lake names, and am already sick of this shit, but this is just trip #1.

A couple of possibilities are available on islands, including Beaver Island. Would it really be worth it to add a two hour ferry ride, each way, to our weekends? A faster route is by plane, and that’s the only option for winter travel.

There’s something seriously attractive about the possibility of living on Beaver Island, but it seems like it would be too much of a bother to deal with it all summer, plus whatever holidays in winter. That commute doesn’t even take into account any medical emergencies, as there are a couple of NPs there, but that’s it.

What say you? Good, bad, other.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Pros and Cons of having a cottage on an island Empty Re: Pros and Cons of having a cottage on an island

Post by kingstonlake 2021-12-08, 15:33

Here ya go baller. I was just talking to my wife about it. I'll run you out a ham sandwich whenever you're hungry.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Middle-Is-Alpena-MI-49707/115018947_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Pros and Cons of having a cottage on an island Empty Re: Pros and Cons of having a cottage on an island

Post by aualum06 2021-12-08, 15:46

I mean it always seems worth the hassle to be in or on a beaver
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-12-08, 15:46

My in law family owns several cottages on a private island in the Georgian bay. It’s pretty neat, a mile Long Island and there are maybe like 7-8 cottages total.

Pros-
- they own it and have to deal with it
- I can visit basically whenever I want and we will have our own cottage
- they have several boats, so I can basically have my own boat
- no one bothering you

Cons
- uhhhhh….
- I heard there are bears
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-12-08, 15:48

My suggestion greenway is to marry into a family that has been working on this for decades and made it perfect already. And also one that it’s not actually your spouse that owns it but has basically full visitation privileges whenever. Best of luck to you
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 15:48

kingstonlake wrote:Here ya go baller. I was just talking to my wife about it. I'll run you out a ham sandwich whenever you're hungry.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Middle-Is-Alpena-MI-49707/115018947_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

IIRC, that’s the place featured in the freep awhile back. Buildings being renovated and looking to get the Lodge going again, hoping for paying guests.
If I’m on an island, I think my message is loud and clear: I don’t want people visiting. Thanks, but pass.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 15:49

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:My suggestion greenway is to marry into a family that has been working on this for decades and made it perfect already. And also one that it’s not actually your spouse that owns it but has basically full visitation privileges whenever. Best of luck to you

Thanks, Travis. This is very helpful. ✌
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 15:54

aualum06 wrote:I mean it always seems worth the hassle to be in or on a beaver

I’m getting too old for one two-hour ride, let alone two in three or four days time.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 15:55

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:My in law family owns several cottages on a private island in the Georgian bay. It’s pretty neat, a mile Long Island and there are maybe like 7-8 cottages total.

Pros-
- they own it and have to deal with it
- I can visit basically whenever I want and we will have our own cottage
- they have several boats, so I can basically have my own boat
- no one bothering you

Cons
- uhhhhh….
- I heard there are bears

If we could move the Georgian Bay closer to the Michigan side, I’d be interested in making the moves on one of your in-laws.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-12-08, 15:55

Bois Blanc has a few for sale. I thinks it's an hour ride from Cheboygan.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/351-E-Huron-Dr-Pointe-Aux-Pins-MI-49775/2068582793_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1098-Coast-Guard-Trl-Bois-Blanc-Island-MI-49775/247983837_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1326-E-Huron-Dr-Pointe-Aux-Pins-MI-49775/2067420989_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2021-12-08, 16:18

I looked at a lot of cottages over the years, but never pulled the trigger because the Mrs. died. The biggest problem of having a cottage on an island to me is if there is an emergency, especially medical. How would you get to a hospital at 3 am?
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-12-08, 16:18

tGreenWay wrote:

I’m getting too old for one two-hour ride, let alone two in three or four days time.

What does your wife do with l that free time
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-12-08, 16:32

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:My suggestion greenway is to marry into a family that has been working on this for decades and made it perfect already. And also one that it’s not actually your spouse that owns it but has basically full visitation privileges whenever. Best of luck to you

Thanks, Travis. This is very helpful. ✌

Yw
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-12-08, 16:32

Just ask the question you really want to ask, Greenway.

"Is an island a good place to bury a body."
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2021-12-08, 16:44

A friend of mine just bought an island on Lake Michigamme. It's freaking awesome! He's also loaded and has a sea plane so getting there is a little different than a ferry ride.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2021-12-08, 17:11

Shit, two hours? I can barely handle the 7 minute free ferry ride to Harsen's Island with my bike.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-12-08, 17:15

Nobody wants to be on an island with you, GreenWay. Nice fake story.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 17:49

kingstonlake wrote:Bois Blanc has a few for sale. I thinks it's an hour ride from Cheboygan.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/351-E-Huron-Dr-Pointe-Aux-Pins-MI-49775/2068582793_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1098-Coast-Guard-Trl-Bois-Blanc-Island-MI-49775/247983837_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1326-E-Huron-Dr-Pointe-Aux-Pins-MI-49775/2067420989_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

This is helpful, thanks. I’ll take a look.
I should also point out that it’s not that we’re specifically looking to buy a place on an island, so much as a couple places we lined are on islands.

As for Bois Blanc, that may be too complicated for me to pronounce all the time. I’d end up saying Boys Blank all the time, further embarrassing Mrs. GreenWay. P
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 17:51

PennSpartan wrote:I looked at a lot of cottages over the years, but never pulled the trigger because the Mrs. died. The biggest problem of having a cottage on an island to me is if there is an emergency, especially medical. How would you get to a hospital at 3 am?

That def has to be a consideration. Maybe not if we were 10-20 years younger, but being in my upper 50s, I need to be more realistic. Btw, I’m sorry about losing your wife.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

PennSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 17:52

kingstonlake wrote:Just ask the question you really want to ask, Greenway.

"Is an island a good place to bury a body."

I’ve learned to never put something like that where someone else can read it. So please stop talking about it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 17:52

aualum06 wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

What does your wife do with l that free time

She manages. Heh.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-12-08, 18:02

Just a heads up. My brother bought 10 acres on a lake in the UP. Middle of nowhere, maybe three cottages on it. One is now a year rounder moved there from key West. They learned quick, lol. Now my brother is 100% bad ass. Off grid type. Built a tiny cabin, solar, composting type out house, etc etc. He is all in on the diy stuff, loves the remoteness of it all. But it's wearing think on him now after about 5 years. It is work. And lots of it. Tons of it. Cutting wood, takes an hour to get the cabin hooked up, prime the pump etc. I assume you and the wife are gonna be more into creature comforts and electricity and stuff. But be prepared. And island will mean work and inconveniences. He's 53 and now hiring stuff out instead of doing it himself. He takes a lot of pride in what he's accomplished but he's realizing he's spending all of his time working vs enjoying. My advice is buy to enjoy not to work

Oh.........

AND BUY A TWO STAGE.

Last edited by kingstonlake on 2021-12-08, 18:04; edited 3 times in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 18:02

Motown Spartan wrote:A friend of mine just bought an island on Lake Michigamme. It's freaking awesome! He's also loaded and has a sea plane so getting there is a little different than a ferry ride.

That would be extra cool. I’ve only been in one round trip with a seaplane, but it was a lot of fun. It was a trip watching the pilot work the flaps on his de Havilland.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 18:04

Floyd Robertson wrote:Shit, two hours? I can barely handle the 7 minute free ferry ride to Harsen's Island with my bike.

Thus, my hesitation. My guess is we’ll let the Beaver Island properties pass. Too bad, too, because it would’ve been so cool. The cottages check a lot of the boxes we’re looking for.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2021-12-08, 18:10

tGreenWay wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:I looked at a lot of cottages over the years, but never pulled the trigger because the Mrs. died. The biggest problem of having a cottage on an island to me is if there is an emergency, especially medical. How would you get to a hospital at 3 am?

Btw, I’m sorry about losing your wife.
Thank you.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 18:12

kingstonlake wrote:Just a heads up. My brother bought 10 acres on a lake in the UP. Middle of nowhere, maybe three cottages on it. One is now a year rounder moved there from key West. They learned quick, lol. Now my brother is 100% bad ass. Off grid type. Built a tiny cabin, solar, composting type out house, etc etc. He is all in on the diy stuff, loves the remoteness of it all. But it's wearing think on him now after about 5 years. It is work. And lots of it. Tons of it. Cutting wood, takes an hour to get the cabin hooked up, prime the pump etc. I assume you and the wife are gonna be more into creature comforts and electricity and stuff. But be prepared. And island will mean work and inconveniences. He's 53 and now hiring stuff out instead of doing it himself. He takes a lot of pride in what he's accomplished but he's realizing he's spending all of his time working vs enjoying. My advice is buy to enjoy not to work

Oh.........

AND BUY A TWO STAGE.

No way I’d take on that challenge now. Did some of those things in my teens and twenties, but I’m fully soft and citified now. Plus, I’ve long known my limitations as a DIYer. My wife was never an outdoorsy type. Camping and living off grid would be of no interest. Her idea of camping out is staying at any hotel considered “lesser quality” than a Hampton Inn, and that’s the minimum.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2021-12-08, 18:15; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 18:13

Also: A one-stage should suffice in Macomb County!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-12-08, 18:14

Not on beaver island lol.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 18:16

Turtleneck wrote:Nobody wants to be on an island with you, GreenWay. Nice fake story.*

*This post was AI generated.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2021-12-08, 19:45

Involved in a lake cottage my grandfather built about 100 years ago.

Best advice I can give you is buy something which was built with modern building codes.

Really when it comes down to it you are just buying another house, treat it that way, unless you like spending all your up-north time working on said cottage.

I too would have significant concerns about someone who hasn't lived mostly "off the grid", on an island, unless said island is "on the grid" for example Mackinaw Island.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 19:56

Trapper Gus wrote:Involved in a lake cottage my grandfather built about 100 years ago.

Best advice I can give you is buy something which was built with modern building codes.

Really when it comes down to it you are just buying another house, treat it that way, unless you like spending all your up-north time working on said cottage.

I too would have significant concerns about someone who hasn't lived mostly "off the grid", on an island, unless said island is "on the grid" for example Mackinaw Island.

Agree on treating it like a standard house purchase. One we looked at is still pretty new. There’s no chance we’re living off the grid of our own free will. I would have made a lousy pioneer.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-12-08, 20:12

As a life time "up norther" ( the anti-bob) I'm ashamed to say I have never been to Beaver Island. That said, if I could ditch it all tomorrow and move north it would be charlevoix. Which is the home to the beaver island ferry.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-08, 20:20

duffy munn wrote:As a life time "up norther" ( the anti-bob) I'm ashamed to say I have never been to Beaver Island. That said, if I could ditch it all tomorrow and move north it would be charlevoix. Which is the home to the beaver island ferry.

Never been there, either, Duff, so no beaver shaming here. Charlevoix is beautiful, but I’m hoping to get away from the tourist-generated traffic. We’ll comb Lake Charlevoix avails, but nothing too close to the town. My summers were on Walloon, but I rarely went into town. Petoskey tourist traffic is ridiculous, too. As fate would have it, there are only a couple of places up for sale on Walloon right now, and it’s been that way for months. Effing Covid.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-12-08, 21:58

tGreenWay wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Bois Blanc has a few for sale. I thinks it's an hour ride from Cheboygan.

I should also point out that it’s not that we’re specifically looking to buy a place on an island, so much as a couple places we lined are on islands.

As for Bois Blanc, that may be too complicated for me to pronounce all the time. I’d end up saying Boys Blank all the time, further embarrassing Mrs. GreenWay. P

Locals call it Boblo Island. It's about a 45-60 minute ferry ride. How do you feel about snakes, especially massasauga rattlesnakes?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-12-09, 00:03

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Locals call it Boblo Island. It's about a 45-60 minute ferry ride. How do you feel about snakes, especially massasauga rattlesnakes?

They’re delicious.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-12-09, 00:12

tGreenWay wrote:

2 and 1/2 to the Tuck completely sucks ass. Tired when you get there. Cant drink like you used to. Too old for the town night life too young to sit in a chair all day and by a fire all night. I don’t know what to say. Vacations and getaways are hard. I guess it will be more fun again with grand kids. It was when my kids were young and I was in my late 30’s. Now I read what you wrote up in the first post and it makes me tired.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-12-09, 07:39

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

They’re delicious.

Well, you will probably have your fill. There are quite a few on Bois Blanc.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-12-09, 07:52

tGreenWay wrote:
duffy munn wrote:As a life time "up norther" ( the anti-bob) I'm ashamed to say I have never been to Beaver Island. That said, if I could ditch it all tomorrow and move north it would be charlevoix. Which is the home to the beaver island ferry.

Never been there, either, Duff, so no beaver shaming here. Charlevoix is beautiful, but I’m hoping to get away from the tourist-generated traffic. We’ll comb Lake Charlevoix avails, but nothing too close to the town. My summers were on Walloon, but I rarely went into town. Petoskey tourist traffic is ridiculous, too. As fate would have it, there are only a couple of places up for sale on Walloon right now, and it’s been that way for months. Effing Covid.

Walloon is beautiful but damn expensive. You a baller greenway?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down