Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David price to tigers

+17
The Lonely Stoner
Tim Wakefield
Rodeo Burger
All Your Base
CrazySparty
Larry Kazamias
steveschneider
WBill
ancientspartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Nommad2
By-Tor
DWags
Heat Miser
Ass Dan
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
21 posters

Go down

David price to tigers Empty David price to tigers

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:01 pm

3 team deal
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

David price to tigers Empty Re: David price to tigers

Post by InTenSity Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:02 pm

David price to tigers 2745783546 

Who is he?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:05 pm

Smyly and Jackson gone
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:06 pm

WHAT A FUCKING AWESOME TRADE
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Smyly and Jackson gone

As I asked in the A's thread, who's going to play CF every day?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Now you have three Cy young winners in your rotation going into the playoffs. Unreal.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 pm

Ass Dan wrote:Now you have three Cy young winners in your rotation going into the playoffs. Unreal.

Playoffs?

David price to tigers Unknow11
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:17 pm

What a steal. aJax on a career long downward trend and our 5th starter. Very happy we retain Ricky
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

Posted over there as well..

Rajia LF JD Martinez CF/RF Torii Hunter CF/RF
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Tigers need a bat - only VMart and Miggy hitting right now.
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:24 pm

steveschneider wrote:

Posted over there as well..

Rajia LF JD Martinez CF/RF  Torii Hunter CF/RF

No way imo. Torii absolutely cannot play CF. His range is Magglio-esque.

They likely will either call up Carrera and platoon him with Davis until Dirks is healthy.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:30 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

No way imo. Torii absolutely cannot play CF. His range is Magglio-esque.

They likely will either call up Carrera and platoon him with Davis until Dirks is healthy.

I don't follow ML players at all, how good is Carrera? Also, any chance we see Dirks this year?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:33 pm

Dirks is starting his rehab assignment. Carrera is a light hitting 27 year old LH CF with speed. He's had a cup of tea in the majors and started some for the Indians a few years back.

I had to look this up myself.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carreez01.shtml
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Dirks is starting his rehab assignment. Carrera is a light hitting 27 year old LH CF with speed. He's had a cup of tea in the majors and started some for the Indians a few years back.

I had to look this up myself.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carreez01.shtml

Yikes. Hope he pans out.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by ancientspartan Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:45 pm

The kid who is playing CF in Toledo may get a shot...Ezequiel is his first name.

Ezequiel Carrera....and he isn't a kid but is 27 years old. Batting .307 and OPS .809

Last edited by ancientspartan on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ancientspartan
ancientspartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Not expecting much from Dirks, just because he may be physically healthy doesn't change the fact that he hasn't played much baseball for 10 months.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm

ancientspartan wrote:The kid who is playing CF in Toledo may get a shot...Ezequiel is his first name.

Looking into it we down grade at CF, I think its pretty unlikely any of these players are going to be better than AJ.

Great trade, and if we lose Scherzer after this year then we still have Sanchez, Price, Verlander and Porcello. If we lose Scherzer we'll have some money to go after a few big free agents.

How many more years is T Hunter going to play? Might have to revamp the OF after this year.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

I bet we could get Quintin Berry back for 2 coneys and a half eaten bag of barbecue chips
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by ancientspartan Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:53 pm

...and E. Carrera mentioned above bats and throws left so fills a need for a left handed bat in the lineup should the bring him up to replace one of the departing Tigers.
ancientspartan
ancientspartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:54 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

Retweeted by Jason Beck
JWagnerBlade ‏@jwagnerblade 2m
UNOFFICIAL: @MudHens just pulled lineup off the board. Expect a move up to #Tigers to replace Jackson. GUESS: Ezequiel Carrera.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by All Your Base Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:54 pm

I freaking LOVE this trade.

We lose A-Jax but gain Price in the rotation? I'll take that every day of the week. Price throws absolute gas from the left side.
All Your Base
All Your Base
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:54 pm

steveschneider wrote:

Looking into it we down grade at CF, I think its pretty unlikely any of these players are going to be better than AJ.

Great trade, and if we lose Scherzer after this year then we still have Sanchez, Price, Verlander and Porcello. If we lose Scherzer we'll have some money to go after a few big free agents.

How many more years is T Hunter going to play? Might have to revamp the OF after this year.

Hunter is a free agent after this year. If he resigns its going to be for a lot less than his current. 14 mill per year.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 pm

OK, I'll be that guy. In a 3 game playoff series, does Verlander even get a start?

All things being equal, I say no. But the timing of the rotation going into the playoffs might let it happen.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:46 pm

Will this guy from Toledo dive for a ball? If so, we won the trade.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lonely Stoner Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:01 am

Jackson, who played in 99 games, the Tigers lose a CF who is a .270 batter (10th out of 16 Qualified CF) and a .730 OPS (10th out of 16 as well). He's fielding .984 (12th out of 16). In 66 games J.D. is hitting .320 with a OPS of .948 and .989 fielding. In 82 games Rajai is hitting .295 with .760 OPS and .981 fielding. If Dirks can come back and be a .260 batter (had one .320 season sandwiched between two .250 campaigns; career .276 is just as good as Jackson's .277). Carrera is a prototypical 4th or 5th OF hitting .250 in his MLB career with fielding .981. Even though the Tigers took a step back in the OF, the improvement in pitching is by far better than what they lose.
The Lonely Stoner
The Lonely Stoner
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:09 am

The Lonely Stoner wrote:Jackson, who played in 99 games, the Tigers lose a CF who is a .270 batter (10th out of 16 Qualified CF) and a .730 OPS (10th out of 16 as well). He's fielding .984 (12th out of 16). In 66 games  J.D. is hitting .320 with a OPS of .948 and .989 fielding. In 82 games Rajai is hitting .295 with .760 OPS and .981 fielding. If Dirks can come back and be a .260 batter (had one .320 season sandwiched between two .250 campaigns; career .276 is just as good as Jackson's .277). Carrera is a prototypical 4th or 5th OF hitting .250 in his MLB career with fielding .981. Even though the Tigers took a step back in the OF, the improvement in pitching is by far better than what they lose.

Those are kinda BS #s though. I'm not a sabermetrics guy, but anyone with half of an eye knows that AJ is a better fielder than Davis or JD. He was not an all world CF by any means but JD and Davis have major deficiencies and brain farts in the field. Jackson covers a lot of ground and picks up the ball well.

I am a fan of the trade but let's be honest, the OF Defense is going to be disastrous without Carrera or another addition. Dirks kinda sorta might be a stop gap but he's not going to cover up for Davis/JD and Torii/JD either.

We'll live with it but let's not try to make this thing into a win-win. There were sacrifices made here.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:18 am

Also it should be pointed out that while Ajax was VERY streaky, if the Tigers are looking towards Carrera as an every day CF, they now have 2.5 major holes in their lineup - Avila/Holladay, Carrera, and Suarez/Romine. I like Suarez a lot, and think he's pretty competent at the plate, but he's gonna be a liability there come the postseason.

Man I'm really torn on this thing. I mean I would do it 10 times out of 10....because Price. But the Tigers need to make a couple post-waivers moves to make this thing worth it. Do we have any true baseball nerds here? Where did you go bulldogg? Who might be available via waivers?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:23 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Those are kinda BS #s though. I'm not a sabermetrics guy, but anyone with half of an eye knows that AJ is a better fielder than Davis or JD. He was not an all world CF by any means but JD and Davis have major deficiencies and brain farts in the field. Jackson covers a lot of ground and picks up the ball well.

I am a fan of the trade but let's be honest, the OF Defense is going to be disastrous without Carrera or another addition. Dirks kinda sorta might be a stop gap but he's not going to cover up for Davis/JD and Torii/JD either.

We'll live with it but let's not try to make this thing into a win-win. There were sacrifices made here.

I don't know two shits about baseball. My friends are big time into this shit and call me as a last resort for free tix... 80% of the time I tell them to DIAF. I also workout at the same gym as Pat Caputo.

But seems to me we just traded an average CF for an elite starting pitcher. This is a win-win-win.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:28 am

Nordic wrote:

I don't know two shits about baseball.  My friends are big time into this shit and call me as a last resort for free tix... 80% of the time I tell them to DIAF. I also workout at the same gym as Pat Caputo.

But seems to me we just traded an average CF for an elite starting pitcher. This is a win-win-win.

No,not exactly. You have to take into account replacements.

Let's talk football equivalent. Elite SP is about equivalent to Elite WR. Touches the ball one out of every 5 plays.

Average CF is like Average MLB. QB of the Defense. Anchors your unit. Does a decent job. You are now replacing him with a guy who is too slow to play WILL and too weak to play SAM.

I don't think this is their end game. I think they're looking at a CF they can pick up during the waiver period. Or whatever. Who knows, I'm not an expert on that.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lonely Stoner Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:50 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

No,not exactly. You have to take into account replacements.

Let's talk football equivalent. Elite SP is about equivalent to Elite WR. Touches the ball one out of every 5 plays.

Average CF is like Average MLB. QB of the Defense. Anchors your unit. Does a decent job. You are now replacing him with a guy who is too slow to play WILL and too weak to play SAM.

I don't think this is their end game. I think they're looking at a CF they can pick up during the waiver period. Or whatever. Who knows, I'm not an expert on that.

Jackson in 2014
- WAR:1.8
- WAA: .4
- oWAR: 1.7
- dWAR: .4
- RF/9: 2.58

Davis in 2014
- WAR: 1.0
- WAA: -.1
- oWAR: 1.5
- dWAR: -.7
- RF/9: 2.17

Martinez in 2014
- WAR: 2.4
- WAA: 1.5
- oWAR: 2.3
- dWAR: -.2
- RF/9: 1.83

Smyly in 2014
- WAR: 1.9
- WAA: 1.1

Price in 2014
- WAR: 2.6

Your football comparison is off base. The catcher is usually considered the "QB" of the defense making sure the infield defense is properly positioned. OF are usually directly positioned from the bench and all three need good communication between one another. As for the amount of plays each position is involved in, SP are by far and away the #1 influence on a game. So far in 2014, Price has pitched 170.2 innings (512 outs, faced 689 batters) and has 189 SO (37% of outs). Jackson has 416 PA (370 AB) and 251 fielding chances (245 PO) in 862.2 innings (2588 outs) which converts to 9% of outs. Price has given up 59 ER this year to Smyly's 42 (100.1 innings = 301 outs). That means Price is getting 8.68 outs per earned run compared to Smyly's 7.16. Over the course of the rest of the season (57 games = 11 starts) Price (22 outs/start) is estimated to get 242 outs while giving up 28 runs. Smyly on the other hand (18 outs/start) will get 198 outs who would also give up 28 runs, however on 20% less outs. The more I think about this trade, this was primarily done because of the bullpen. Like I've said before, the best way to hide under performing relievers is to have starters who are able to go deep into games, which now the Tigers have four.
The Lonely Stoner
The Lonely Stoner
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:38 am

Nordic wrote:

I don't know two shits about baseball.  My friends are big time into this shit and call me as a last resort for free tix... 80% of the time I tell them to DIAF. I also workout at the same gym as Pat Caputo.

Pat Caputo goes to a gym? Does he lift a lot?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:27 am

The Lonely Stoner wrote:

Jackson in 2014
- WAR:1.8
- WAA: .4
- oWAR: 1.7
- dWAR: .4
- RF/9: 2.58

Davis in 2014
- WAR: 1.0
- WAA: -.1
- oWAR: 1.5
- dWAR: -.7
- RF/9: 2.17

Martinez in 2014
- WAR: 2.4
- WAA: 1.5
- oWAR: 2.3
- dWAR: -.2
- RF/9: 1.83

Smyly in 2014
- WAR: 1.9

Price in 2014
- WAR: 2.6

Your football comparison is off base. The catcher is usually considered the "QB" of the defense making sure the infield defense is properly positioned. OF are usually directly positioned from the bench and all three need good communication between one another. As for the amount of plays each position is involved in, SP are by far and away the #1 influence on a game. So far in 2014, Price has pitched 170.2 innings (512 outs, faced 689 batters) and has 189 SO (37% of outs). Jackson has 416 PA (370 AB) and 251 fielding chances (245 PO) in 862.2 innings (2588 outs) which converts to 9% of outs. Price has given up 59 ER this year to Smyly's 42 (100.1 innings = 301 outs). That means Price is getting 8.68 outs per earned run compared to Smyly's 7.16. Over the course of the rest of the season (57 games = 11 starts) Price (22 outs/start) is estimated to get 242 outs while giving up 28 runs. Smyly on the other hand (18 outs/start) will get 198 outs who would also give up 28 runs, however on 20% less outs. The more I think about this trade, this was primarily done because of the bullpen. Like I've said before, the best way to hide under performing relievers is to have starters who are able to go deep into games, which now the Tigers have four.

Yeah I agree with you on both counts. Catcher is for sure the QB of the defense, and the trade does in fact bolster the bullpen. I was just trying to make a comparison that would make sense to Nordy.

The concern remains that the CF position/OF defense as a whole is going to be spectacularly craptastic when Carrera isn't out there. And I guess I'm just assuming he's decent because I keep reading that he's a "true CF".
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:46 am

Carrera should be interesting
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:58 am

Just read an Mlive article from Iott. He says Carrera isn't a particularly good defensive SF. Defensive WAR of -.1 during his time in the majors.

I guess he's almost average, which is a tad better than Davis. Is it possible to find stats on Davis dWAR when in CF vs. when in LF?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Bad WAR? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:34 pm

Why the Rays' seemingly small return for David Price is a good thing

What they (the Rays) traded for instead was greater certainty, greater odds of lower ceilings. The value they got is the value of being young and major-league ready.

Seems to be a mixture of spin and logic.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Pat Caputo goes to a gym? Does he lift a lot?

No, usually hits the ellipticall and then works on his half court jumpers
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:Bad WAR? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
What is it good for?
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down