Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.

+5
Floyd Robertson
GRR Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
DWags
9 posters

Go down

Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.  Empty Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.

Post by DWags Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 18:21

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/03/23/indiana-basketball-assistant-dane-fife-wont-return-iu-coaching-staff/7145383001/
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.  Empty Re: Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.

Post by tGreenWay Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 18:35

Weird to think how there was a time early in his career at MSU that many fans, including myself, thought Fife’s trajectory would land him in Izzo’s seat once TI retired. Now—not so much.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Travis of the Cosmos, duffy munn, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.  Empty Re: Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.

Post by tGreenWay Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 18:36

Also, can somebody give me a +1 for that run-on sentence I posted?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 18:41

has anyone noticed that guy's body language on the bench?
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 18:52

Fife was recruited by Izzo as a player and then a coach to become an MSU assistant.  Izzo had about 15 years HC experience at MSU when Fife came on board.  

Mike Woodson was a first year HC with no college coaching experience.  We’ll never know any terms regarding coaching were discussed when Fife decided to leave MSU for IU.  

Maybe Woodson needed a scape goat.  Maybe Fife didn’t transition to being an assistant to a rookie HC or maybe Woodson didn’t appreciate the Fife as Woodson’s successor as soon as Fife’s IU hiring was announced.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 18:56

tGreenWay wrote:Also, can somebody give me a +1 for that run-on sentence I posted?

Looked and read normal to me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 18:58

tGreenWay wrote:Also, can somebody give me a +1 for that run-on sentence I posted?

Is it really a run-on sentence if there are two commas? Wouldn't it be a compound sentence?

I'm no English major, trust me.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 19:06

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:has anyone noticed that guy's body language on the bench?

I haven't.

Tell me about it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 19:45

DWags wrote:

Looked and read normal to me.

How dare you call me normal.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 19:46

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Is it really a run-on sentence if there are two commas? Wouldn't it be a compound sentence?

I'm no English major, trust me.

Thanks, Floyd. I feel better now.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 19:50

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:has anyone noticed that guy's body language on the bench?

You mean when he sits and does nothing? Or when he sits and doesn’t engage anyone, looks completely uninterested in the game or, you know, actually coaching players going into or out of said games? Like the body language indicates he’s given up even trying to coach?

No, I haven’t noticed any of that. You must be mistaken.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 24 Mar 2022 - 11:45

tGreenWay wrote:

You mean when he sits and does nothing? Or when he sits and doesn’t engage anyone, looks completely uninterested in the game or, you know, actually coaching players going into or out of said games? Like the body language indicates he’s given up even trying to coach?

If there is a serious clash between Woodson & Fife he may be doing what Woodson wants him to do.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 24 Mar 2022 - 12:13

Reading IU Tweets there are some people who thought he didn’t recruit well. Some thought he didn’t coach well. Who knows. At the age he’s at, I really think you slow down, look around put the clutch in and make the decision in your field: do I shift from fourth gäl. to fifth gear and go out the next ten years in a blaze, or do I shift down to 3rd and start looking at other options. He’s got the clutch pressed, we’ll see what he decides I guess.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 24 Mar 2022 - 13:29

DWags wrote:Reading IU Tweets there are some people who thought he didn’t recruit well. Some thought he didn’t coach well. Who knows. At the age he’s at, I really think you slow down, look around put the clutch in and make the decision in your field: do I shift from fourth gäl. to fifth gear and go out the next ten years in a blaze, or do I shift down to 3rd and start looking at other options. He’s got the clutch pressed, we’ll see what he decides I guess.

There's a decent chance that at his age, he never learned how to drive a stick.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, DWags, Pervis Muldoon, Trapper Gus and I.B. Fine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 24 Mar 2022 - 20:45

DWags wrote:Reading IU Tweets there are some people who thought he didn’t recruit well. Some thought he didn’t coach well.  Who knows. At the age he’s at, I really think you slow down, look around put the clutch in and make the decision in your field: do I shift from fourth gäl. to fifth gear and go out the next ten years in a blaze, or do I shift down to 3rd and start looking at other options.  He’s got the clutch pressed, we’ll see what he decides I guess.  

It’s unfair for IU fans to suggest he didn’t recruit well after less than a year in the position. Were they expecting three or four 5-stars already?

I read on TOB that one rumor is DF and Woodson have divergent political opinions as well as different views on Covid. Again, that’s just one rumor, so it’s more likely just another fan speculating like we do on all things MSU. If it’s true, we Spartan fans know what a divided locker room can do to team cohesion on the field.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 24 Mar 2022 - 20:47

Trapper Gus wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

If there is a serious clash between Woodson & Fife he may be doing what Woodson wants him to do.

He’s def doing what the head coach wanted, because Woodson wanted him gone. Hence, the dismissal.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 27 Mar 2022 - 22:02

Fife situation could have been handled better. The Daily Hoosier

nd with no further information, a flood of rumors filled the void and hit the message boards that painted Fife as insubordinate, disrespectful and out of touch. To be sure, no one actually published anything substantiating those rumors, and that should tell you something about the validity of what is circulating. The real story is a bit more basketball related than what is out there. But the damage was done. And it was completely unnecessary.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun 27 Mar 2022 - 22:34

DWags wrote:Fife situation could have been handled better. The Daily Hoosier

nd with no further information, a flood of rumors filled the void and hit the message boards that painted Fife as insubordinate, disrespectful and out of touch. To be sure, no one actually published anything substantiating those rumors, and that should tell you something about the validity of what is circulating. The real story is a bit more basketball related than what is out there. But the damage was done. And it was completely unnecessary.

The author is spot on.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 13:17

Rumors are spreading like wildfire but at the end of the day it’s damned curious that IU / Woodson would would actively pursue alum/former player Fife, make him the highest paid assistant with a two year contract @ $375K per year and release him with such a bare knuckle boiler plate press release.

Fife did or didn’t do things that made Woodson want him gone in less than a year.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 13:34

Maybe he tried recruiting Loyer and Kithier to IU
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 15:42

Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.  NDAvdGVub3IuZ2lm
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 28 Mar 2022 - 16:30

I.B. Fine wrote:
Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.  NDAvdGVub3IuZ2lm

Damn shame I can’t see what you posted, on account of me being on mobile. Fife not being retained at IU. Sounds like Woodson is using him as a fall guy.  1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun 3 Apr 2022 - 13:11

Thad Matta to Butler. Maybe Fife will go there.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down