Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ACC football moving to a single division

+7
DWags
Nordic
Travis of the Cosmos
aualum06
tGreenWay
InTenSity
Turtleneck
11 posters

Go down

ACC football moving to a single division Empty ACC football moving to a single division

Post by Turtleneck Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 13:59

[tw]1541798589902512128?s=20&t=xN46gOa8KLbHeZGU7TV41g[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

ACC football moving to a single division Empty Re: ACC football moving to a single division

Post by InTenSity Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 15:37

I understand the want to protect some rivalries, but I'm not sure I agree with it. It makes the competition unbalanced. Although I'm sure that College football isn't about balance. Although with how quickly the landscape is changing, even if they change how they do things every 5-7 years it could balance itself out.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

ACC football moving to a single division Empty Re: ACC football moving to a single division

Post by tGreenWay Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 15:44

InTenSity wrote:I understand the want to protect some rivalries, but I'm not sure I agree with it. It makes the competition unbalanced. Although I'm sure that College football isn't about balance. Although with how quickly the landscape is changing, even if they change how they do things every 5-7 years it could balance itself out.

I get that, but I’d still want MSU to have its own protected series if (when) the B1G follows suit. tOSU, PSU, and umaa. Put the Nitwits as our last game of the regular season. It was easy to mock George when he first forced that rivalry upon us, but the man was right. It’s become a very good rivalry.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

InTenSity likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 17:16

tGreenWay wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I understand the want to protect some rivalries, but I'm not sure I agree with it. It makes the competition unbalanced. Although I'm sure that College football isn't about balance. Although with how quickly the landscape is changing, even if they change how they do things every 5-7 years it could balance itself out.

I get that, but I’d still want MSU to have its own protected series if (when) the B1G follows suit. tOSU, PSU, and umaa. Put the Nitwits as our last game of the regular season. It was easy to mock George when he first forced that rivalry upon us, but the man was right. It’s become a very good rivalry.
Ok, in that situation, lets say that PSU, has us, then Rutgers and Maryland. We are already at a disadvantage in the current landscape. We'd have to play 2 teams that have made the playoff's, and you'd have 3 out of the 3 B1G teams that have made the playoffs as protected games. Maybe set the schedule for 3 years, after that rebalance. You can keep some protected games, but find a way to try to even things out. I don't know, just spitballin and typing words on a messageboard.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 17:24

Divisions make much more sense in my opinion, but should be redrafted every 3 to 5 years
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 17:29

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Ok, in that situation, lets say that PSU, has us, then Rutgers and Maryland. We are already at a disadvantage in the current landscape. We'd have to play 2 teams that have made the playoff's, and you'd have 3 out of the 3 B1G teams that have made the playoffs as protected games. Maybe set the schedule for 3 years, after that rebalance. You can keep some protected games, but find a way to try to even things out. I don't know, just spitballin and typing words on a messageboard.

Can’t compete with the big boys if you don’t play some of the big boys. Besides, those teams mean Spartan Stadium will be filled and noisy, much more so than any others, and big games usually get better tv time slots. But I get your point. Maybe rotate OSU every other year with Wiscy and/or Iowa. I just don’t think I want to play the Bucknuts once every three years.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 18:38

I’ve gotten through to you boys. Excellent.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 19:20

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The Athletic did a proposal for this model and it was very fair. It was something like this..

MSU - UM, PSU, NW (swap Indiana if you want)
UM - MSU, OSU, some ragdoll
OSU - UM, PSU, some ragdoll
PSU - MSU, OSU, Maryland (swap in Rutgers if you want)

I think it is important to protect some rivlaries. Two would probably be enough, but then you get even more into the unbalanced schedules. I'm all for the ACC model.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 20:28

Farmers one side
Engineers the other.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 21:29

Nordic wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

The Athletic did a proposal for this model and it was very fair. It was something like this..

MSU - UM, PSU, NW (swap Indiana if you want)
UM - MSU, OSU, some ragdoll
OSU - UM, PSU, some ragdoll
PSU - MSU, OSU, Maryland (swap in Rutgers if you want)

I think it is important to protect some rivlaries. Two would probably be enough, but then you get even more into the unbalanced schedules. I'm all for the ACC model.

This makes sense. OSU doesn't need to be one of our rivalries just because we went toe to toe with them for a few years a while back.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 22:25

As Travis learned from Pylon many years ago, if they are going to have divisions they need to be periodically refreshed.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 22:52

Dreamers on one side
Doers on the other
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Tue 28 Jun 2022 - 23:46

tGreenWay wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Can’t compete with the big boys if you don’t play some of the big boys. Besides, those teams mean Spartan Stadium will be filled and noisy, much more so than any others, and big games usually get better tv time slots. But I get your point. Maybe rotate OSU every other year with Wiscy and/or Iowa. I just don’t think I want to play the Bucknuts once every three years.

MSU/Wisconsin 2011 was a great rivalry that made the Big Ten look like a fun and exciting conference. Those two games were magical, and the teams played several close games in that era. But it doesn't do MSU any good to have more mandatory games against strong opponents, because it's hard to be at your best week after week. I'd be happy with Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 29 Jun 2022 - 8:27

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

MSU/Wisconsin 2011 was a great rivalry that made the Big Ten look like a fun and exciting conference. Those two games were magical, and the teams played several close games in that era. But it doesn't do MSU any good to have more mandatory games against strong opponents, because it's hard to be at your best week after week. I'd be happy with Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana.

Yeah, the " gotta beat the best to be the best" is a good theory and sounds macho and all, but football is a brutal game that takes a physical toll, so the best team could not win the single-division because the physical toll is harder to overcome against other good teams. Playing no one could make you a paper tiger that wins the conference and get embarrassed in a playoff, another ideal is to spread out the number of tough games.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 29 Jun 2022 - 10:19

I kinda like the idea of a few 'protected rivalries', then a rotating schedule for the rest of the conference. Definitely seems like a better option than rearranging the divisions every 3-4 years based on recent success.

I think most of you would agree that the Big Ten East was the best conference in CFB last year. While that's great and "iron sharpens iron" or whatever the testosterone-driven promoters of bumper sticker jargon might say, it's a brutal way to (try to) progress through the season.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 29 Jun 2022 - 10:20

The goal is the championship games.

None of the "big boys" are hurt by playing creampuffs, so MSU should not need to show how macho they are.  This isn't basketball where the players can play 35 games a year.

MSU should have the easiest schedule possible, with the current way that teams are measured.

All that said, my choice is UofM, PSU & Indiana as those are trophy games.  This doesn't match what I said above, and I would be fine if PSU was replaced by a typically easier team.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 29 Jun 2022 - 10:55

Not joking about Farmers vs. Engineers.

Top Agg schools (yes, it's science based) in the big ten:

OSU
Iowa
Purdue
Illinois
MSU
Indiana
Nebraska

Lets call the rest "engineering" schools, though we know the ones listed already have great engineering schools on their campus. I'm just breaking it down with lists I've seen as "top agg schools in america".

Then you have

UM
Rutgers
Maryland
PSU
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 29 Jun 2022 - 11:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Yeah, the " gotta beat the best to be the best" is a good theory and sounds macho and all, but football is a brutal game that takes a physical toll, so the best team could not win the single-division because the physical toll is harder to overcome against other good teams. Playing no one could make you a paper tiger that wins the conference and get embarrassed in a playoff, another ideal is to spread out the number of tough games.

So you’re not saying don’t have the three protected teams I mentioned, but spread them out? I’m good with that. Keeping the teams I mentioned isn’t anything new; it’s what we’ve done for most of the time PSU has been in the conference. As for your macho comment, I’m not sure how to respond. I’m just wanting what we’ve had up until now. Those games are the ones we generally get the best exposure on tv. If we start adding to our schedule the perennially weaker teams from the west, we’ll see more noon kicks and fewer fans in the stands with those staying home bitching about the crappy home schedule. And yes, beating up on mid- to bottom-dwellers won’t be helpful in measuring how good we are, not will it help with any real preparation for the postseason.

I’d like to talk more about toughness and machismo, but I’m late for my nap.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed 29 Jun 2022 - 13:25

DWags wrote:Not joking about Farmers vs. Engineers.

OSU
Iowa
Purdue
Illinois
MSU
Indiana
Nebraska

Lets call the rest "engineering" schools, though we know the ones listed already have great engineering schools on their campus. I'm just breaking it down with lists I've seen as "top agg schools in america".

Then you have

UM
Rutgers
Maryland
PSU
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern

Penn State was started as an ag high school

Michigan also started as the high school system for Michigan

Purdue, otoh, is well known as an Engineering school
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed 29 Jun 2022 - 13:39

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:Not joking about Farmers vs. Engineers.

OSU
Iowa
Purdue
Illinois
MSU
Indiana
Nebraska

Then you have

UM
Rutgers
Maryland
PSU
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern

Listed as # 7 in the nation right behind #6 MSU and #5 Illinois.  Yeah I was also surprised.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/united-states/agricultural-sciences
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 29 Jun 2022 - 13:50

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

So you’re not saying don’t have the three protected teams I mentioned, but spread them out? I’m good with that. Keeping the teams I mentioned isn’t anything new; it’s what we’ve done for most of the time PSU has been in the conference. As for your macho comment, I’m not sure how to respond. I’m just wanting what we’ve had up until now. Those games are the ones we generally get the best exposure on tv. If we start adding to our schedule the perennially weaker teams from the west, we’ll see more noon kicks and fewer fans in the stands with those staying home bitching about the crappy home schedule. And yes, beating up on mid- to bottom-dwellers won’t be helpful in measuring how good we are, not will it help with any real preparation for the postseason.

I’d like to talk more about toughness and machismo, but I’m late for my nap.

I'm absolutely saying not to have the three teams that you mentioned. By "spread out", I mean having each team have some typically tougher teams and some that typically aren't tough games. As much so that Wisconsin doesn't play Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota as so MSU doesn't play UM, PSU, and OSU. PSU and UM fine. But there's no need for OSU as a protected rivalry. There's no historic rivalry there, outside of a few years here and there.

I didn't mean you're macho (I know better). Just talking about the theory in general that you gotta beat the best to be the best.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 30 Jun 2022 - 10:31

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Listed as # 7 in the nation right behind #6 MSU and #5 Illinois.  Yeah I was also surprised.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/united-states/agricultural-sciences

Wouldn't be what most people would think of for Purdue, so it fits both camps.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 30 Jun 2022 - 12:06

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:

Wouldn't be what most people would think of for Purdue, so it fits both camps.

I really think all of the agricultural studies are so science-based now, it’s almost like their chemical engineers and agricultural engineers. I was also surprised Illinois was ahead of us as an agricultural school. And where is Penn State listed?

Anyway, using that list, I really believe we could divide this conference equally using farmers and engineers.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 30 Jun 2022 - 12:36

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Purdue is a land grant school. Most of the schools in the B10 are land grant schools with ag programs. I think Iowa (ISU is Iowa's LG school), Indiana, UM, and NW are the only non-land grant schools in the conference. I like NW but the rest can and should be immediately expelled from the B10.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 30 Jun 2022 - 13:40

Thread jack

[tw]1542559346453729281[/tw]
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 30 Jun 2022 - 14:18

Are they members of the AAU or whatever?

Edit: They both are.

This would give the B1G the far and away the three largest markets, NYC, LA, and Chicago. That will play into the next TV deal negotiations.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 30 Jun 2022 - 14:34

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Thread jack

[tw]1542559346453729281[/tw]
seems like something with this level of significance should have it's own thread.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu 30 Jun 2022 - 14:49

Done deal it sounds like. Meh
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 30 Jun 2022 - 15:47

MiamiSpartan wrote:Are they members of the AAU or whatever?

Edit: They both are.

This would give the B1G the far and away the three largest markets, NYC, LA, and Chicago. That will play into the next TV deal negotiations.

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down