Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCOTUS agrees to rule on independent legislature theory

+10
PennSpartan
Jake from State Farm
Cameron
kingstonlake
sεяεηιτλ
Rick Saunders
Trapper Gus
Pervis Muldoon
RQA
GRR Spartan
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

SCOTUS agrees to rule on independent legislature theory - Page 3 Empty Re: SCOTUS agrees to rule on independent legislature theory

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:46 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Trapper, you are a hoot.

The thread I happened to start has drifted to multiple subjects and you are chiding me to be more specific?

If you were a prof in my political science class and you were leading the discussion, okay.  Telling me to be more specific about a thread I started that’s all over the place, no.

This place is nice because you can’t herd cats.  Free form is a constant.

I am aware that for some posters on this board I can do nothing right ...

However, ...

I was responding to Penn, whom I quoted, and in response to his post I believe my response makes sense.

As for taking this thread off track, it was well off track before I joined into the new topic under discussion, thus all that I can be blamed for is continuing, after a number of off-track posts by other posters, on the off-track topic.  I was only correcting a mistake in knowledge by one of the posters in the off-track topic, to begin my off-track posts, and really wasn't trying to go any further, except Penn added responses to me, which I tried to answer.

On page one I was responding to the topic of the thread.

It's not so much you, Trapper. We get used to seeing perfection from Turtleneck, Travis, Bob, and Kingston, which creates unreasonable expectations for the other posters. PM Bob about his seminar series where you can learn to be perfect, but do it now because tickets are going fast!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

SCOTUS agrees to rule on independent legislature theory - Page 3 Empty Re: SCOTUS agrees to rule on independent legislature theory

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:55 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:
You just contradicted yourself. I’ll let you figure out how. The student debt relief proposal is badly conceived. It doesn’t address those who paid their debt themselves and future student debt. I proposed something better here a few days ago. Have the government pay the interest and fees associated with the debt and the student pays the principal. And they can take as long as they want to pay it. 50 years to pay $50k in debt would be easy. Problem solved.

As I explained, those who support student dept relief, for a deeply flawed system (which you agreed is deeply flawed), also support free post high school education for everyone who wants it.  That addresses your point. I believe that some student debt legislative proposals have proposals to refund excess interest & fees already paid within them, which addresses another point you have.

As to what you believe is a contradiction, if you really want to make a point of it, which you don't, you need to be more specific, as there were three subjects discussed.
Trap, if you can get free college through this Congress as well as student debt relief and Medicare for All, go for it. You’ve already educated me on the idea that the national debt is meaningless, so let’s shoot for the moon. Keep us updated.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:26 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

As I explained, those who support student dept relief, for a deeply flawed system (which you agreed is deeply flawed), also support free post high school education for everyone who wants it.  That addresses your point. I believe that some student debt legislative proposals have proposals to refund excess interest & fees already paid within them, which addresses another point you have.

As to what you believe is a contradiction, if you really want to make a point of it, which you don't, you need to be more specific, as there were three subjects discussed.
Trap, if you can get free college through this Congress as well as student debt relief and Medicare for All, go for it. You’ve already educated me on the idea that the national debt is meaningless, so let’s shoot for the moon. Keep us updated.

It’s gonna be hard. To many people keep voting for people who oppose an open competition to develop great minds.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:31 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

It’s gonna be hard. To many people keep voting for people who oppose an open competition to develop great minds.
People are entitled to vote for whoever they wish. I haven’t been able to get you to see things my way, and I doubt you will get me to agree with you. That's the great conundrum.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:03 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

It’s gonna be hard. To many people keep voting for people who oppose  an open competition to develop great minds.
People are entitled to vote for whoever they wish. I haven’t been able to get you to see things my way, and I doubt you will get me to agree with you.  That's the great conundrum.

We can all take comfort in knowing that the people with student loan debt that were partying in Cancun will be leading our country in the work force. God forbid we let people who want to learn without going into lifetime debt lead us.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:10 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:
People are entitled to vote for whoever they wish. I haven’t been able to get you to see things my way, and I doubt you will get me to agree with you.  That's the great conundrum.

We can all take comfort in knowing that the people with student loan debt that were partying in Cancun will be leading our country in the work force. God forbid we let people who want to learn without going into lifetime debt lead us.
For some reason I never hear Republicans or Moderate Dems complaining about student debt. Just Progressives. Why is that? My kids managed to get it done.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:24 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

For some reason I never hear Republicans or Moderate Dems complaining about student debt. Just Progressives. Why is that? My kids managed to get it done.

Because you think that anyone that complains about student debt is a progressive you fucking numbskull. People don’t wander around with progressive tattooed on their forehead.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Turtleneck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:42 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Because you think that anyone that complains about student debt is a progressive you fucking numbskull. People don’t wander around with progressive tattooed on their forehead.
Personal attacks now. Great. Let me explain something to you. You don’t need to convince ME. You need to convince Congress and the President. The voters have already spoken. Get busy. Good luck.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:43 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I just heard a gaggle of MDs going on about their hundreds of thousands they owe. They won't get to be rich for decades later than they expected. Progressives? Probably not.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:54 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Now you’re just lying.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:57 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Now you’re just lying.

He might be hard of hearing.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:02 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

Now you’re just lying.
Show me the list of Republicans supporting student debt relief.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:06 pm

PennSpartan wrote:

Personal attacks now.  Great.  Let me explain something to you.  You don’t need to convince ME.  You need to convince Congress and the President.  The voters have already spoken.  Get busy.  Good luck.  

I’m glad that I don’t have to convince you as the number of times you have been slapped in the face with being wildly incorrect and still come back to the same incorrect conclusions is breathtakingly stupid and a wonder to behold.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:07 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
Personal attacks now.  Great.  Let me explain something to you.  You don’t need to convince ME.  You need to convince Congress and the President.  The voters have already spoken.  Get busy.  Good luck.  

I’m glad that I don’t have to convince you as the number of times you have been slapped in the face with being wildly incorrect and still come back to the same incorrect conclusions is breathtakingly stupid and a wonder to behold.
More personal attacks. Great.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:11 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Now you’re just lying.

Uh, that’s not what you said.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:19 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:

I don’t see many people on the right holding rallies for debt relief. I don’t see many politicians on the right promoting it. It was pretty much a Bernie and friends idea. I know for a fact my Congressman and Senator never mentioned it. And they’re both moderate Dems.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:27 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I don’t see many people on the right holding rallies for debt relief.  I don’t see many politicians on the right promoting it.  It was pretty much a Bernie and friends idea.  I know for a fact my Congressman and Senator never mentioned it.  And they’re both moderate Dems.

You said you never hear moderates or republicans complain about student debt. I do. A lot. You then moved the goal post to moderate or Republican politicians supporting student debt relief. Those are two completely different things. You talk to lots of politicians? Damn, you must be an insiders in the moderate/Republican world. I can assure you many people from all political spectrums complain about their student debt. I don’t give a fuck what a politician thinks about it. I’m well aware of the game they play to get support from boomers who are worried about what someone else is getting that they won’t and frankly aren’t entitled too.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:32 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:
I don’t see many people on the right holding rallies for debt relief.  I don’t see many politicians on the right promoting it.  It was pretty much a Bernie and friends idea.  I know for a fact my Congressman and Senator never mentioned it.  And they’re both moderate Dems.

You said you never hear moderates or republicans complain about student debt. I do. A lot. You then moved the goal post to moderate or Republican politicians supporting student debt relief. Those are two completely different things. You talk to lots of politicians? Damn, you must be an insiders in the moderate/Republican world. I can assure you many people from all political spectrums complain about their student debt. I don’t give a fuck what a politician thinks about it. I’m well aware of the game they play to get support from boomers who are worried about what someone else is getting that they won’t and frankly aren’t entitled too.
Your “evidence” is anecdotal. You know people who want student debt relief. Show me the movement on the right or middle pushing for this. If you want to get it passed that’s what you need. I keep saying this, you need a majority. You don’t need me.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:35 pm

PennSpartan wrote:

That’s not a personal attack, that’s an observation. Toughen up butter cup
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:39 pm

PennSpartan wrote:

When you start calling people stupid or a fucking numbskull that’s a personal attack.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:44 pm

PennSpartan wrote:

When you start calling people stupid or a fucking numbskull that’s a personal attack.

I’m sorry if I hurt your fe fe’s :( but at the end of the day it’s not my fault that you’re going to go back to the same old refrains every time no matter how many times people tell you that you’re wrong. You can hardly blame me for thinking that you might be a skooch unable to keep up
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:45 pm

PennSpartan wrote:

I’m sorry if I hurt your fe fe’s :( but at the end of the day it’s not my fault that you’re going to go back to the same old refrains every time no matter how many times people tell you that you’re wrong. You can hardly blame me for thinking that you might be a skooch unable to keep up
I said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m entitled to my opinion. If you don’t believe that you’re in the wrong country.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:53 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I am aware that for some posters on this board I can do nothing right ...

However, ...

I was responding to Penn, whom I quoted, and in response to his post I believe my response makes sense.

As for taking this thread off track, it was well off track before I joined into the new topic under discussion, thus all that I can be blamed for is continuing, after a number of off-track posts by other posters, on the off-track topic.  I was only correcting a mistake in knowledge by one of the posters in the off-track topic, to begin my off-track posts, and really wasn't trying to go any further, except Penn added responses to me, which I tried to answer.

On page one I was responding to the topic of the thread.

It's not so much you, Trapper. We get used to seeing perfection from Turtleneck, Travis, Bob, and Kingston, which creates unreasonable expectations for the other posters. PM Bob about his seminar series where you can learn to be perfect, but do it now because tickets are going fast!

lol!

Is that what perfection is?

Posting like you?

I will say you guys seem to fall for the (Wells) trick of putting an aside in a post for the unwary to comment on.

Also, you don't get my humor at all, as I said in the beginning, we always do humor with a straight face, and it is very dry.

I'll leave it to you all to take guesses at the "we" (The trick of putting an aside in as reply bait, just so you avoid doing it twice)

Oh, and btw, responding to an off-topic post is not to take the thread off topic, again.  

It is being polite to the person who posted the first off-topic post.

However, really hoping for no reply to this post that requires a reply.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:56 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

As I explained, those who support student dept relief, for a deeply flawed system (which you agreed is deeply flawed), also support free post high school education for everyone who wants it.  That addresses your point.  I believe that some student debt legislative proposals have proposals to refund excess interest & fees already paid within them, which addresses another point you have.

Trap, if you can get free college through this Congress as well as student debt relief and Medicare for All, go for it.  You’ve already educated me on the idea that the national debt is meaningless, so let’s shoot for the moon.  Keep us updated.

The debt isn't meaningless if it gets high enough, we just have about $45 trillion to go until it reaches that level with the current GDP.

As for Student Loan Debt, it is already part of the Federal Budgeting, zeroing it out is a loss of revenue, which will need to be replaced with revenue from somewhere else, like higher taxes on the super wealthy.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:17 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Your “evidence” is anecdotal.  You know people who want student debt relief.  Show me the movement on the right or middle pushing for this.  If you want to get it passed that’s what you need.  I keep saying this, you need a majority.  You don’t need me.  

You said you never hear moderates or republicans complain about student debt. And you call my evidence anecdotal? Lol.

The subjects of student debt and student debt relief are different, Penn. way different.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:45 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
PennSpartan wrote:
Your “evidence” is anecdotal.  You know people who want student debt relief.  Show me the movement on the right or middle pushing for this.  If you want to get it passed that’s what you need.  I keep saying this, you need a majority.  You don’t need me.  

You said you never hear moderates or republicans complain about student debt. And you call my evidence anecdotal? Lol.

The subjects of student debt and student debt relief are different, Penn. way different.
Fair enough. Do something about it. Contact your Representative or Senator. I contacted my Senator a couple of years ago regarding an issue and he assigned a person in his office to assist me. It was great and I was truly grateful. Good luck.
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:50 pm

PennSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Fair enough.  Do something about it.  Contact your Representative or Senator.  I contacted my Senator a couple of years ago regarding an issue and he assigned a person in his office to assist me.  It was great and I was truly grateful.  Good luck.  

Hemorrhoids?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:24 pm

If we’re really being originalists if that’s what they’re calling it nowadays, the electoral college was invented so that elites would have the final say in who was elected president. But we’ve since in most states decided that they have to reflect the will of the people. So if they rule in any other way than that the legislatures can do whatever the hell they want, then they’re not being originalists and they’re whole bullshit house of cards falls apart. Originalism or textualism or whatever is just another way to justify doing whatever the court wants. And the notion that the court has the final say in what is constitutional is also a complete fabrication.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Pervis Muldoon, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:43 am

The counter argument to the Independent Legislature Craziness, not that is matters to the power-hungry Radicals on the Supreme Court.

https://www.justsecurity.org/81990/the-independent-state-legislature-theory-should-horrify-supreme-courts-originalists/

The basic argument is that since a formal State Legislature is defined by the State's Constitution then other parts of that Constitution cannot be ignored willy-nilly, along with the fact that the US Constitution does not define the Legislature as the "sole" arbitrator of elections.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3