Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon

+14
Death Roe
Herbie Green
Rodeo Burger
Other Teams Pursuing That
SeeRockCity
beal99
Stoops21
NigelUno
Giant Moose
Punisher98
Ass Dan
AvgMSUJoe
InTenSity
The_Dude
18 posters

Go down

10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon Empty 10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon

Post by The_Dude 2014-08-04, 09:40

Successful season or no?

I'd say no because the 3 biggest B1G games are at home. Need to win the East.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon Empty Re: 10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-04, 09:41

I'd say anything less than 15-0 and this season is an absolute failure, and Dantonio should be on the hot seat.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon Empty Re: 10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-08-04, 09:44

Serious?

JLS & Bobby wasn't that long ago.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-04, 09:49

The_Dude wrote:by The_Dude on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:53 pm

I impose a self ban on myself for one week good day gents
FYI, only 4 more days left on your self imposed ban.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-08-04, 09:53

It would be a lot better with a bowl win. I think everyone can agree that this team can be a championship caliber team, so it would be a bitter pill to swallow knowing they didn't win the big Ten or garner national title consideration.

This is msu's year to legitimize itself in the eyes of the National media, rather than wilt the way that a team like Oklahoma state or ucla would be expected to do, where they may have a good year and then come on Apple sauce the following season. Have to back up last year with a really really strong performance in my mind.

That said, i would always take 10-2 with no upsets. Georgia does that each season and everyone there seems hunky dory.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Punisher98 2014-08-04, 10:16

Ass Dan wrote:It would be a lot better with a bowl win. I think everyone can agree that this team can be a championship caliber team, so it would be a bitter pill to swallow knowing they didn't win the big Ten or garner national title consideration.

This is msu's year to legitimize itself in the eyes of the National media, rather than wilt the way that a team like Oklahoma state or ucla would be expected to do, where they may have a good year and then come on Apple sauce the following season. Have to back up last year with a really really strong performance in my mind.

That said, i would always take 10-2 with no upsets. Georgia does that each season and everyone there seems hunky dory.

Yep I agree with most of your post. A bowl win always has a way of putting a sweet finish to a long year. Crazy that 10-2 in the regular season could actually be viewed as disappointing to MSU football but this year that would be the case a little bit.

I will say that an 11-2 year would definitely still help towards our image nationally too so that would help. That would include taking care of PSU, UM and Nebraska so all in all still a solid year.
Punisher98
Punisher98
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-08-04, 10:32

Too early to say. While it would be disappointing to lose to Ohio State in East Lansing, it is possible where we could be 7-1 and still make the Big Ten championship game.

Now, I'm sure people will say that there's no way tOSU loses two Big Ten games. But I see that tOSU is prone to being undisciplined, and it could cost them eventually.

They are still the team that was losing to Northwestern in the 4th quarter last year, still the team that was tied with Iowa in the 4th quarter last year, and still the team that very nearly lost to a terrible scUM team.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-04, 10:37

Ass Dan wrote:It would be a lot better with a bowl win. I think everyone can agree that this team can be a championship caliber team, so it would be a bitter pill to swallow knowing they didn't win the big Ten or garner national title consideration.

Georgia's record the last 5 years:

8-5, 12-2, 10-4, 6-7, 8-5

Things aren't hunky dory in Athens. Georgia has a bad problem with kids getting arrested. If Georgia loses some early game, Richt might find himself on the hot seat. Georgia fans are getting sick of watching other SEC teams win National Championships.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2014-08-04, 11:07

10-2 and winning a bowl game is huge. Finish 11-2. Yeah losing to osu would blow but finishing 11-2 would be amazing after losing half our defense.
No upsets as well. I don't see how doing this would do anything but help our national image.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-08-04, 11:25

NigelUno wrote:

Things aren't hunky dory in Athens.  Georgia has a bad problem with kids getting arrested.  If Georgia loses some early game, Richt might find himself on the hot seat.  Georgia fans are getting sick of watching other SEC teams win National Championships.

yeah they are!
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-08-04, 11:30

NigelUno wrote:

Things aren't hunky dory in Athens. Georgia has a bad problem with kids getting arrested. If Georgia loses some early game, Richt might find himself on the hot seat. Georgia fans are getting sick of watching other SEC teams win National Championships.

Shows how much I know about Georgia football, i guess. Who gets fired first, Paul Johnson or mark richt?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-08-04, 11:36

Ass Dan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Things aren't hunky dory in Athens.  Georgia has a bad problem with kids getting arrested.  If Georgia loses some early game, Richt might find himself on the hot seat.  Georgia fans are getting sick of watching other SEC teams win National Championships.

Shows how much I know about Georgia football, i guess. Who gets fired first, Paul Johnson or mark richt?

I think Ga Tech will have trouble with Johnson's buyout IIRC. They'll let his contract play out (which is done after next year I think) before they do anything.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-04, 11:45

Ass Dan wrote:

Richt has a knack for coming up with a trip to the SEC Championship every time people get restless. That might happen this year.

GT is a hard program to win at. I would guess Johnson will go first.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-08-04, 12:37

NigelUno wrote:

Richt has a knack for coming up with a trip to the SEC Championship every time people get restless. That might happen this year.

How do people feel about the triple option down there?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-08-04, 12:38

Does that mean we don't go to the Big Ten Title game?

10-2 wouldn't be ideal, but it wouldn't be unsuccessful.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-08-04, 12:40

NigelUno wrote:

Also, why is GT hard to win at? Seems like they play in an easy division, they've got a pretty stadium and they're right in Atlanta. Seems like there's nice tradition there as well. When i think "hard to win at", i think Minnesota or Washington state. Talentless states where people don't want to play
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-08-04, 13:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Does that mean we don't go to the Big Ten Title game?

10-2 wouldn't be ideal, but it wouldn't be unsuccessful.

Well, I'd lock in 9-3 if that means we make the B1G title game.

If we lose to Ohio St, it;s tough seeing them lose two more games considering they dont play any of the top 3 teams from the West. But you never know.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-08-04, 14:14

Ass Dan wrote:

Also, why is GT hard to win at? Seems like they play in an easy division, they've got a pretty stadium and they're right in Atlanta. Seems like there's nice tradition there as well. When i think "hard to win at", i think Minnesota or Washington state. Talentless states where people don't want to play

It's an ACC school in the heart of SEC country. GT games are an after thought in Atlanta.

Johnson also runs some type of option offense which isn't seen as something that would prepare players for the NFL (that's the perception anyway, I tend to think that the NFL will find talent if it's there, but it might drop your stock a few rounds, or delay your pro development if you've never known a more traditional offense).
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-08-04, 14:21

Ass Dan wrote:

I think part of it has to do with the fact that they wear Russell Athletic. Recruits like Nike, Under Armour and sometimes adidas. Them going with Russell just screams afterthought college.

Plus when Russell tried to do their version of pro combats, they were mocked heavily. Honeycomb!

10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon Georgia-Techs-Honeycomb-Uniforms
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-08-04, 16:08

Giant Moose wrote:
I think part of it has to do with the fact that they wear Russell Athletic. Recruits like Nike, Under Armour and sometimes adidas. Them going with Russell just screams afterthought college.

Plus when Russell tried to do their version of pro combats, they were mocked heavily. Honeycomb!

10-2 with losses to Ohio St and Oregon Georgia-Techs-Honeycomb-Uniforms

I love the uniforms. I love the offense. I would happily play for Georgia Tech. Idk.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-04, 16:12

What if we go 11-1 with a loss only to OSU?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-08-04, 16:25

InTenSity wrote:What if we go 11-1 with a loss only to OSU?

Twisted Evil 
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-08-04, 22:17

I can never play this game as a fan. 10-2 is a great season but I am not about to start singing for losses before the season starts.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-08-04, 22:25

OP sucks ass
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-04, 22:33

Rodeo Burger wrote:

It's an ACC school in the heart of SEC country.  GT games are an after thought in Atlanta.

GT at best is the 4th most popular school in Atlanta after UGA, Bama, and Auburn.

And they close their season every year with Georgia (which in most cases is an automatic loss).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-08-04, 22:52

Herbie Green wrote:I can never play this game as a fan.  10-2 is a great season but I am not about to start singing for losses before the season starts.

This all day. I'll tip my hat to anyone who beats us (unless it happens under the circumstances of the ND game last year), but I don't concede anything to anyone. They have to come take the victory from us.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-08-05, 00:25

The_Dude wrote:Successful season or no?

I'd say no because the 3 biggest B1G games are at home. Need to win the East.
Well we're not losing to either of those teams so go **** yourself.
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-08-05, 00:36

Snake Plissken wrote:Well we're not losing to either of those teams so go **** yourself.

Fo sho
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-08-05, 08:17

Giant Moose wrote:Too early to say. While it would be disappointing to lose to Ohio State in East Lansing, it is possible where we could be 7-1 and still make the Big Ten championship game.

Now, I'm sure people will say that there's no way tOSU loses two Big Ten games. But I see that tOSU is prone to being undisciplined, and it could cost them eventually.

They are still the team that was losing to Northwestern in the 4th quarter last year, still the team that was tied with Iowa in the 4th quarter last year, and still the team that very nearly lost to a terrible scUM team.

tOSU may have an edge in recruiting, but we more than make up for it with the coaching staff we have. I don't see anyone running through walls for Urb (maybe a little assault & battery). That's why losing to them in EL would be very disappointing.
Oregon is going to be the big test. If Cook continues his growth from last year, it could be a very fun game.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 08:19

it's going to depend on the officiating, so I'm going to reserve judgment for now.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-08-05, 08:30

Robert J Sakimano wrote:it's going to depend on the officiating, so I'm going to reserve judgment for now.

It might. Good call.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 08:31

NigelUno wrote:

It might.  Good call.  
no problem.. I'm known throughout the realm of sports for my keen insight..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2014-08-05, 11:04

Fire Comley
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down