Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents

+8
kingstonlake
Trapper Gus
Motown Spartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
duffy munn
NigelUno
steveschneider
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents Empty Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 08:50

Tip of the cap to UofM they get it right. They make sure their schedule is a cake walk and this strategy pays off in dividends. Their stats are inflated vs weak opponents so on data tables they are towards the top which the selection committe will see. They also benefit from a horrible conference and have made their schedule down to one game that matters...the game. Also, their easy schedule will most likely help their RB get an invite to NY for the Heisman Trophy.

MSU needs to stop scheduling University of Washington, or University of Miami and go for an easy/winnable game where you can avoid injuries and develop depth in garbage minutes. Sure we can win these games but there is more downside than up. The goal for MSU going forward should be to get to 3-0 in OOC games and then run the table up to the Michigan game. The Big Ten has a historically bad record traveling out west for games and Spartan Rocky has me convinced that the trip out west drained our team and hindered preparation vs Minnesota. At the very least I'd rather have started this season 3-0 and be at 6-4 right now with a chance to have a nine win season.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents Empty Re: Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 09:25

Yes. In hindsight, we should have scheduled a for sure win.

In reference to UM, the committee already publicly dinged them for their weak non-conference schedule. If they win out, it won't matter. If they lose, then it will come into play vs. other 1 loss teams (Tennessee, USC maybe, Georgia if they get upset by LSU). A win vs. UCLA would look pretty good on their resume.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents Empty Re: Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents

Post by duffy munn 2022-11-14, 09:43

Scorching hot take fucking Steve
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 09:51

duffy munn wrote:Scorching hot take fucking Steve
Let’s try decaf on that 2nd cup next time.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That, Trapper Gus and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-11-14, 10:03

NigelUno wrote:

Decaf is pointless. Kinda like NA beer.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 10:06

NigelUno wrote:Yes. In hindsight, we should have scheduled a for sure win.

In reference to UM, the committee already publicly dinged them for their weak non-conference schedule. If they win out, it won't matter. If they lose, then it will come into play vs. other 1 loss teams (Tennessee, USC maybe, Georgia if they get upset by LSU). A win vs. UCLA would look pretty good on their resume.

In hindsight yes but also looking forward time to implement this strategy. I see MSU fans ripping UofM for their weak schedule all over twitter and the occasional pundit rip them as well but it is the right tactic. The committee has dinged them but they beat OSU it won't matter.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 10:06

I'll take that as we are in agreement. Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents 969504605
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-11-14, 10:12

NigelUno wrote:

Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents 9ace92f7-2331-43de-bfb1-e5692e7f0744_1.4f71c631775816745e804ce16c40266d
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 10:21

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Yes. In hindsight, we should have scheduled a for sure win.

In hindsight yes but also looking forward time to implement this strategy. I see MSU fans ripping UofM for their weak schedule all over twitter and the occasional pundit rip them as well but it is the right tactic. The committee has dinged them but they beat OSU it won't matter.

Correct. An undefeated team will get in the CFP no matter what. But a 1 loss UM (or OSU for that matter) will get judged on non-conference.

Say...you have a choice between a 1 loss OSU (with a win over ND) and 1 loss Clemson (who has a loss to ND). Guessing OSU might get the nod (if they lost a close game to UM).

That's not something we have to worry about at the moment.

Next year, we get Washington at home. @ BC in 2024. Home BC in 2025.

I'm fine with keeping those games.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-11-14, 10:22

steveschneider wrote:

I'll take that as we are in agreement. Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents 969504605

No we are not. As a fan I have no desire to watch MSU play Buffalo. Even if it means we can get to bowl game more easily. The fans deserve to get something for what they pay for at SS. I loved George's scheduling. Seeing us play USC, FSU, ND, Miami and Nebraska ( when they were Nebraska) was cool.

Cupcakes are for pussies. Anyone, any place, anytime.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-11-14, 10:32

I disagree, Steve. I’d rather watch them play cool non conference games.
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, duffy munn, Dendrobates, Pervis Muldoon and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 10:39

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

No we are not. As a fan I have no desire to watch MSU play Buffalo. Even if it means we can get to bowl game more easily. The fans deserve to get something for what they pay for at SS. I loved George's scheduling. Seeing us play USC, FSU, ND, Miami and Nebraska ( when they were Nebraska) was cool.

The game has changed a lot in the last 30 years. I'll take 3-0 to start the year and set are selves up for being undefeated vs UofM in October. Scheduling cupcakes isn't for 'pussies' it's a winning tactic. College football has a beauty pageant element....even Bret Bielema was looking smart going 7-1 against a bunch of cupcakes.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 10:41

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I disagree, Steve. I’d rather watch them play cool non conference games.

BC isn't exactly a powerhouse, but that might be a fun trip.

And we get ND in 2026 and 2027 (unless conference realignment messes it up).

I'd rather play someone in the South than the West though. For sure.

Georgia Tech. Auburn. LSU. Somebody like that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-11-14, 10:42

I wonder how Steve would be as a sports radio host.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 10:45

steveschneider wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

The game has changed a lot in the last 30 years. I'll take 3-0 to start the year and set are selves up for being undefeated vs UofM in October. Scheduling cupcakes isn't for 'pussies' it's a winning tactic. College football has a beauty pageant element....even Bret Bielema was looking smart going 7-1 against a bunch of cupcakes.

Their cupcakes included teams in the Big Ten West also.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 10:45

Motown Spartan wrote:I wonder how Steve would be as a sports radio host.

Excellent. You have to have opinions to get people to call in.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 10:46

I can answer that for you. It would be awesome.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 10:48

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

True but I think this years 7-1 Illinois is exhibit 1-a of the power of a weak schedule...it had people saying even Bret Bielema was smart. I rest my case your honor.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-14, 10:51

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

If football was a contact sport like basketball, I would agree. But as Duffy said, it is a colision sport. Even playing the cupcakes MSU lost two of their top defensive players for an extended time. Playing a higher level team is more wear on the top players.

Other than that it depends on the team goals. If it is exciting games the sure, schedule the better teams, if it is a NC then cupcakes.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-14, 10:54

NigelUno wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I disagree, Steve. I’d rather watch them play cool non conference games.

I'd rather play someone in the South than the West though.  For sure.

Georgia Tech.  Auburn.  LSU.  Somebody like that.  

Agree, west coast trips are tiring for the team, stick to east of the mountains.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-11-14, 10:55; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-11-14, 10:55

NigelUno wrote:

Excellent. You have to have opinions to get people to call in.

Coming up at the top of the hour, Paulina Gretzky…hot or not? Let’s hear from the audience.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Other Teams Pursuing That like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 10:58

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

True but I think this years 7-1 Illinois is exhibit 1-a of the power of a weak schedule...it had people saying even Bret Bielema was smart. I rest my case your honor.

We beat Illinois though.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 10:58

Trapper Gus wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I'd rather play someone in the South than the West though.  For sure.

Georgia Tech.  Auburn.  LSU.  Somebody like that.  

Agree, west coast trips are tiring for the team, stick to east of the mountains.

I read an article from Seattle about the Huskies match-up with MSU and it outlined top to bottom how bad the Big Ten conference is at traveling out west. We found out this September that hydration and compression socks aren't going to help make up for the 3 hour time zone difference.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 10:59

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

We beat Illinois though.

It cuts both ways that was looked at as an impressive win for the Spartans.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-11-14, 11:04

What about when USC and UCLA are in the B1G? West coast trips will become the norm.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, Trapper Gus and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 11:12

Motown Spartan wrote:What about when USC and UCLA are in the B1G? West coast trips will become the norm.

Maybe not. You could add USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington to the West...move Purdue and Illinois to the East (and play 8 game division only conference schedules), or add 6 teams and play 9 game conference schedules.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-11-14, 11:21

I don’t think it’s right to jam season tickets holders for $$ and a shitty non conference home schedule. Then tell them if they want to see a good game they can spend another $4000 in January and travel to Orlando, Tampa, or Miami to see that game.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Other Teams Pursuing That and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 11:32

MSU Attendance

vs Western Michigan 73,928 99%
vs Akron Attendance: 70,079 93%
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-14, 11:48

Motown Spartan wrote:What about when USC and UCLA are in the B1G? West coast trips will become the norm.

Just another reason adding them to.the B1G makes little sense.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-14, 11:51

kingstonlake wrote:I don’t think it’s right to jam season tickets holders for $$ and a shitty non conference home schedule. Then tell them if they want to see a good game they can spend another $4000 in January and travel to Orlando, Tampa, or Miami to see that game.

It depends on the program's goals.

A. Exciting football every game
B . National Championships

It this era of college football you can have one or the other.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 11:56

Trapper Gus wrote:

Just another reason adding them to.the B1G makes little sense.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-11-14, 12:02

Trapper Gus wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:I don’t think it’s right to jam season tickets holders for $$ and a shitty non conference home schedule. Then tell them if they want to see a good game they can spend another $4000 in January and travel to Orlando, Tampa, or Miami to see that game.

Ohio St…..
Georgia…..
Penn St….
Utah…..
Tennessee…..
BYU…..
Washington….
Texas A&M…..

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2022-11-14, 14:43

This.
I get it. And I want MSU to be qualified for a playoff game. But they're no where close to it now as it is.
I enjoy seeing them play different teams.
But maybe it won't matter as much with the new conference.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-11-14, 15:52

Poorly. Very poorly.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 16:00

duffy munn wrote:

Poorly. Very poorly.

At any rate....
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2022-11-14, 16:33

duffy munn wrote:

Poorly. Very poorly.

I'm interpreting this as you would be a listener.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-14, 16:35

kingstonlake wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Ohio St…..
Georgia…..
Penn St….
Utah…..
Tennessee…..
BYU…..
Washington….
Texas A&M…..

Remind me which of those teams won the NCG in the modern play off era. OSU & ?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-11-14, 17:48

Still haven't read steve's posts since he came back. This thread title makes me glad.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-11-14, 18:10

Talking CFB: A Simple Way to Improve The Program MSU Needs to Schedule Easier OOC Opponents 55953254

Last edited by NigelUno on 2022-11-14, 22:34; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-11-14, 18:22

Guys can we not?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next