Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..

+10
NigelUno
GRR Spartan
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
Motown Spartan
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
Trapper Gus
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..  Empty Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:23 am

enter Big Gretch?

Mallory McMorrow?

Pete "I'm Gay, Smart and a Veteran of the United States Military and Drive Insecure White Men Absolutely Insane" Buttegieg, if he's eligible?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..  Empty Re: Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:30 am

Doesn't Pete have a Michigan address now? Seems plausible that he knew Senator Stabenow was going to retire long before she let everyone else know.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..  Empty Re: Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:37 am

Timing is wrong for Big Gretch, though it seems like this would be a logical step for her.

The other two make some sense.

Stabenow is a big loss for Michigan with the seniority she has.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:45 am

Trapper Gus wrote:Timing is wrong for Big Gretch, though it seems like this would be a logical step for her.

agree - Debbie will be missed.

but, as she said in her press release, it's time to pass the torch to the younger generation. I love that about her and the Democrat party, in general. Pelosi indicated the same thing. They know the future is in good hands with the next generation of Democrats who value democracy, decency, and traditional American values.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:47 am

I don't know who will be running on the D side, but John James just started licking his chops to run for senate again.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:47 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Timing is wrong for Big Gretch, though it seems like this would be a logical step for her.

but, as she said in her press release, it's time to pass the torch to the younger generation. I love that about her and the Democrat party, in general. Pelosi indicated the same thing. They know the future is in good hands with the next generation of Democrats who value democracy, decency, and traditional American values.

Maybe Debbie Dingle as a replacement?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:50 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:I don't know who will be running on the D side, but John James just started licking his chops to run for senate again.

That would seem to be a logical possibility. Maybe Gibbs, since the Republican poohbahs seem to think running an African American in Michigan gives them an advantage.

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:55 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I don't know who will be running on the D side, but John James just started licking his chops to run for senate again.

That would seem to be a logical possibility.  Maybe Gibbs, since the Republican poohbahs seem to think running an African American in Michigan gives them an advantage.

never underestimate the GOP and their 'I have an idea.. let's find a colored boy to run, pretend that we like black folks for a handful of months and then they can be our puppet' philosophy.

almost worked in Georgia.. but I have news for the MI GOP.. Michigan isn't Georgia.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:59 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I don't really want to trade on old white lady for a different old white lady, to be honest. Like Stabenow said, pass the generational torch.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Robert J Sakimano, TravelinMan, tGreenWay and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:08 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I don't really want to trade on old white lady for a different old white lady, to be honest. Like Stabenow said, pass the generational torch.

Debbie is three years younger than Debbie. (Didn't realize they were so close in age)

Was thinking the "normal" progression for the Senate is from the US House.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:27 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Let's not get carried away. Stabenow is in her 70s, Pelosi is in her 80s. Normal people retire in their 60s.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:37 pm

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Let's not get carried away. Stabenow is in her 70s, Pelosi is in her 80s. Normal people retire in their 60s.

Pelosi is still at the top of the game; Stabenow is also very effective.  People in positions of power, CEO's, elected officials, lawyers, accountants, engineers, retire when they are no longer able to do the work, just like people who do physical work, which wears people down at a much younger age.  (This is one reason that increasing the Social Security retirement age is very unfair to a majority of the workers)

However, the leadership retiring for strategic reasons, succession planning, makes sense.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:47 pm

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

the fact that they're stepping away after serving their country at a very high level is a good thing. We owe them a lot.

also, they're both amazing. I'm in my mid-50's and I take three naps a day and sometimes have to watch some motivational videos just to summon the energy to tie my shoes.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:06 pm

If Jack Bergman can be a US Rep for Michigan while living in Louisiana, surely Boot-edge-edge would be eligible to be a US Senator for Michigan while living in (checks notes) Michigan.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:09 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:If Jack Bergman can be a US Rep for Michigan while living in Louisiana, surely Boot-edge-edge would be eligible to be a US Senator for Michigan while living in (checks notes) Michigan.  

At least he has been here longer than a few months and he is married to a Michigander.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:26 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa let’s not go nuts here there are just as many Diane Feinsteins floating around out there
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:29 pm

He is fueling the rockets for his new ads.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:49 pm

Ironic comment from Mike Berg, Communications Director for the National Republican Senatorial Committee:

“Senate Democrats don’t even have a campaign chair yet and they are already dealing with a major retirement. We are going to aggressively target this seat in 2024,"

That coming from a political party that is on its third day of trying to elect a Speaker of The House.

Based on the disarray being seen by the MI GOP, their best candidate may be first term Congressman John James who has lost to Stabenow.and Peters in his two attempts.  Another might be MI Congressman Bill Huisenga who just won his 7th term representing the Lakeshore and Kalamazoo.  A surprise might be Peter Meijer but he may not survive a primary.

A long shot for the Democrats would be Joe Tate, the new MI House Speaker who would be a good nominee if Dick and Betsy decide to throw more of their millions into another John James for US Senate campaign.  

Don’t overlook current MI Senate Majority leader Winnie Brinks who served 6 years as a state rep and won in '22 by 20 points in her district that covers the north end of GR.  Brinks is 54.  

Another might be Melissa Slotkin but she barely won in 2022.

A proven two time winner in statewide elections is MI Sec of State Jocelyn Benson who could step aside and Gov Whitmer would appoint someone to serve the remaining 2 years of her term.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:56 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa let’s not go nuts here there are just as many Diane Feinsteins floating around out there
Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..  502811600

'ol Diane is about as sharp as a creek rock these days but at least she hasn't launched a violent insurrection on democracy and the US Capitol. I'll take being a sandwich short of a picnic over violent, anti-America, pro-Russia GOP Senators any day.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:44 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

Debbie Stabenow Announces She Isn't Running for Re-Election in 2024..  502811600

'ol Diane is about as sharp as a creek rock these days but at least she hasn't launched a violent insurrection on democracy and the US Capitol. I'll take being a sandwich short of a picnic over violent, anti-America, pro-Russia GOP Senators any day.

rumor has it she has memory issues, but in politics attacks like this should be taken with a tablespoon of salt.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:00 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:enter Big Gretch?

Mallory McMorrow?

Pete "I'm Gay, Smart and a Veteran of the United States Military and Drive Insecure White Men Absolutely Insane" Buttegieg, if he's eligible?

Benson maybe.

I think she got a higher % of votes than Whitmer.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:06 am

Stabenow's announcement sparked immediate speculation about who might run to replace her.

On the Democratic side, possible candidates could include U.S. Reps. Elissa Slotkin or Haley Stevens, state Sen. Mallory McMorrow or even newly minted Michigander Pete Buttigieg, the U.S. Secretary of Transportation, said strategist Adrian Hemond.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/sen-debbie-stabenow-force-politics-retire-who-may-run-2024
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:11 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Stabenow's announcement sparked immediate speculation about who might run to replace her.

On the Democratic side, possible candidates could include U.S. Reps. Elissa Slotkin or Haley Stevens, state Sen. Mallory McMorrow or even newly minted Michigander Pete Buttigieg, the U.S. Secretary of Transportation, said strategist Adrian Hemond.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/sen-debbie-stabenow-force-politics-retire-who-may-run-2024

WXYZ ran a segment last night listing potential candidates. What a sorry ass list for the gop.

Congressman John James
   Businesswoman Lisa McClain
   Former candidate for governor Tudor Dixon
   Former Detroit Police Department Chief James Craig
   Former U.S. Attorney Matthew Schneider
   Former U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos
   Businessman Perry Johnson

Possible candidates emerge for US Senate after Stabenow retirement announcement
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:20 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

WXYZ ran a segment last night listing potential candidates. What a sorry ass list for the gop.

Congressman John James

I would think John James would be their best choice, he has shown he is somewhat competitive in the last two Senate races he ran in.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:41 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Congressman John James

I would think John James would be their best choice, he has shown he is somewhat competitive in the last two Senate races he ran in.

Adding to the speculation...

Michigan has become ground zero for Democratic talent, boasting a deep bench of rising stars — mostly women — whom party insiders view as equally qualified to ascend to the Senate, House or even the governorship in 2026.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:51 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Congressman John James

Helicopter goes bbbrrrrrrrrr
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 am

McMorrow announced last week that she isn't running for the seat. She believes she can impact change more at the state level and I agree with that.

not a coincidence that Elissa Slotkin announced this morning that she is running. A straight up middle-of-the-road Democrat, if not right-leaning. Gonna be fun watching the Michigan GOP knuckle-scrapers try to paint her as to the left of AOC.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:47 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:McMorrow announced last week that she isn't running for the seat. She believes she can impact change more at the state level and I agree with that.

not a coincidence that Elissa Slotkin announced this morning that she is running. A straight up middle-of-the-road Democrat, if not right-leaning. Gonna be fun watching the Michigan GOP knuckle-scrapers try to paint her as to the left of AOC.

It would be awesome if Slotkin got that senate seat for the next 24 years.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, TravelinMan, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:56 am

Trapper Gus wrote: Stabenow is also very effective.

Very effective? scratch

Michigan may have the two least effective Senators in the place.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

And Biden is the oldest president to have ever served.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:45 am

TravelinMan wrote:
Cameron wrote:

And Biden is the oldest president to have ever served.

In one sense it is sort of sad that "younger" means people in their 60s, but it is hard to argue that Pelosi wasn't effective or that Biden hasn't been and still is.

Politics in Washington is built on personal relationships, and those take years to develop.

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:29 am

Already sent in my first donation to the Slotkin for Senate campaign. I’m going to be bummed to lose her as our Rep, but she’ll be an effective member of the Senate for Michigan. If she wins, I’ll be curious to see if she takes Debbie’s seat on the Ag committee.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:33 am

RQA wrote:

Very effective? scratch

lol your tribalism is showing. Michigan farmers loved Debbie, even a whole lot of those who otherwise voted for Rs. Same goes for seniors and the AARP for her work on making drug prices more affordable.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:47 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:McMorrow announced last week that she isn't running for the seat. She believes she can impact change more at the state level and I agree with that.

It would be awesome if Slotkin got that senate seat for the next 24 years.

That sounds horrible.

It’d be in everyone’s best interests if she would stay where she is. She’s currently holding down a seat that would otherwise potentially vote Republican. We don’t need her brand of squishy do nothing centrism to win a statewide seat.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:51 am

RQA wrote:

Very effective? scratch

This is silly nonsense. Peters by himself is the chair of the DSCC, which puts them above many other states from an influence standpoint.

It’s okay to just say that you do not like them you don’t have to make up bullshit with it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:30 am

I'll vote for Slotkin only of she promises not to show up at my house and take my gas stove.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan, tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:45 am

RQA wrote:

Very effective? scratch

You should start a thread about that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:35 am

tGreenWay wrote:Already sent in my first donation to the Slotkin for Senate campaign. I’m going to be bummed to lose her as our Rep, but she’ll be an effective member of the Senate for Michigan. If she wins, I’ll be curious to see if she takes Debbie’s seat on the Ag committee.

One of Michigan's Senators should be on the committee which oversees the business which is one of the top businesses in the state, yes I mean Ag.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:52 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Already sent in my first donation to the Slotkin for Senate campaign. I’m going to be bummed to lose her as our Rep, but she’ll be an effective member of the Senate for Michigan. If she wins, I’ll be curious to see if she takes Debbie’s seat on the Ag committee.

One of Michigan's Senators should be on the committee which oversees the business which is one of the top businesses in the state, yes I mean Ag.

New Jersey and Vermont Senators on the Ag Committee. Michigan should stay on it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:57 am

So after not even one year into his term as congressman (representing a district he never visited before becoming a H.R. candidate) it's widely expected that he's going to announce his candidacy today for U.S. Senate again.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next