Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cancel the SOTU Address

+6
Turtleneck
AvgMSUJoe
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
Trapper Gus
RQA
10 posters

Go down

Cancel the SOTU Address Empty Cancel the SOTU Address

Post by RQA 2023-02-07, 08:17

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/07/joe-biden-2023-sotu-speech-00081340

""For all the pomp and pageantry, all the perfunctory standing ovations, and since President Ronald Reagan, the never-ending cast of “guests” in the bleacher seats who receive salutes from the president, the whole ceremony could be replaced by a simple email from the prez to members of Congress. No need to preempt regular broadcasts. No need to keep newscasters like Jake Tapper and Lester Holt and Norah O’Donnell up past their bedtimes. No need for griping columns like this one."

I have never heard of the author of this opinion piece.  I don't know if he is a right wing nut job or a wacky leftist.  Maybe he is somewhere in between.

But I whole heartedly agree with his idea of canceling the ridiculous spectacle that the SOTU Address has become.  I haven't watched it in years.   The applause every 10 seconds ruins any chance at enjoying an actual speech.   There is no actual information provided that we don't already know.

Who is with me on this one??
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cancel the SOTU Address Empty Re: Cancel the SOTU Address

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-02-07, 08:43

Not a fan of this idea.

Any exposure the general public gets to government functions gives us insight into what these people are like, even if it is all performance art. Performance Art, after all, is part of their jobs.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2023-02-07, 08:46

Trapper Gus wrote:Not a fan of this idea.

Any exposure the general public gets to government functions gives us insight into what these people are like, even if it is all performance art. Performance Art, after all, is part of their jobs.

Maybe Bob is right. If the general public watches this as "insight into what these people are like" and continually re-elects them, maybe they are really stupid.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Trapper Gus and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-02-07, 09:07

RQA wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Not a fan of this idea.

Maybe Bob is right. If the general public watches this as "insight into what these people are like" and continually re-elects them, maybe they are really stupid.

It has taken you this long to understand that the only real measure is policy?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-02-07, 09:11

I just discovered that Sarah Sanders is giving the RWNJ response to the SOTU address and I now I'm in favor of calling the whole thing off.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-02-07, 09:52

RQA wrote:https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/07/joe-biden-2023-sotu-speech-00081340

""For all the pomp and pageantry, all the perfunctory standing ovations, and since President Ronald Reagan, the never-ending cast of “guests” in the bleacher seats who receive salutes from the president, the whole ceremony could be replaced by a simple email from the prez to members of Congress. No need to preempt regular broadcasts. No need to keep newscasters like Jake Tapper and Lester Holt and Norah O’Donnell up past their bedtimes. No need for griping columns like this one."

I have never heard of the author of this opinion piece.  I don't know if he is a right wing nut job or a wacky leftist.  Maybe he is somewhere in between.

But I whole heartedly agree with his idea of canceling the ridiculous spectacle that the SOTU Address has become.  I haven't watched it in years.   The applause every 10 seconds ruins any chance at enjoying an actual speech.   There is no actual information provided that we don't already know.

So...you don't watch the SOTU, but you read opinion pieces about it. Too much clapping!

Maryland @ MSU. 9:00
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, DWags, Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-02-07, 13:09

I don't watch.
It's cringey and painful on the best of years.
A string of lies and complete BS on the worst.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-07, 13:52

I admittedly did not read the article, but some approximation of the state of the union is required in Article II Section 3 of the Constitution. It does not have to be annual or involve the stylization it has today.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-07, 14:39

NigelUno wrote:
RQA wrote:https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/07/joe-biden-2023-sotu-speech-00081340

So...you don't watch the SOTU, but you read opinion pieces about it. Too much clapping!

Maryland @ MSU. 9:00

This is the only answer. I'll be at the Brez. Won't have to watch.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-02-08, 12:00

Keep the speech.
Get rid of the TV cameras and publish the names of House members and Senators who attend.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-02-08, 14:02

[tw]1623182792627482625[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-08, 17:00

Yesterday put the nail in the coffin. There is no coming back for the GOP. The party is a lost cause. From Mike Lee looking like he was crying for his mommy because Joe Biden was mean for telling the truth (In 2010, he said, “It will be my objective to phase out Social Security, to pull it up by the roots and get rid of it") to MTG dressing up like Cruella and acting like she was at a UFC match in Russia.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2023-02-08, 23:20

I can see why a Republican would want to get rid of the State of the Union address. Nobody is forcing you to watch.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-09, 03:30

Every time I worry about Biden he completely shoved it up the republicans wazoo. That was so planned out by him regarding social security cuts. He bated them into acting like asses. Now they can’t touch it. Brilliant.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-02-09, 06:37

DWags wrote:Every time I worry about Biden he completely shoved it up the republicans wazoo. That was so planned out by him regarding social security cuts. He bated them into acting like asses. Now they can’t touch it. Brilliant.
I thought I had seen that it may have been planned to get a reaction, but that was spontaneous how he handled it and dropping the hammer on them by saying he likes conversion and glad they all agree.

Either way, the guy they say is too old and senile completely played them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down