Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.

+3
Nordic
Motown Spartan
DWags
7 posters

Go down

Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.  Empty Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.

Post by DWags 2023-02-18, 13:34

I’m not smart enough to figure out how to handle that, but this seems about as good as any idea going forward
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.  Empty Re: Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-02-18, 13:41

I’m not smart enough either but can’t help but wonder what normal will look like moving forward and how soon do we get there. Definitely should have an online option for most classes.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.  Empty Re: Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.

Post by Nordic 2023-02-18, 14:29

Motown Spartan wrote:I’m not smart enough either but can’t help but wonder what normal will look like moving forward and how soon do we get there. Definitely should have an online option for most classes.

tWife works at MSU and I can say things are being put in place to accommodate individual student needs.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Motown Spartan and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-20, 08:43

Maybe Nordic can speak to this. But this is from a friend. Warning: I think this guy knows but I’d not swear to it in court. This seems reasonable

“I heard for the next couple weeks-month the profs are recording their lectures so people can watch from home, they are giving all of the undergrad students a choice to just take the credit for the class if they don’t want to take a letter grade, and the school is encouraging profs to adjust their syllabus so they’re not cramming everything they missed last week in “

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-20, 12:20

professors have been told by the Administration not to 'catch up' on material, allow students flexibility and grace, listen, to not be overly punitive in any way relative to grading. Classes that were all being held in Berky have been reassigned to other buildings on campus, but with today being the first day back, it's difficult to know how that's being received, in terms of attendance.

the credit/no credit was established in Spring of 2020 in response to covid, extended into fall semester of 2020, as well. Which, in hindsight, provided a good precedent for this semester.

One thing I can say, Mother Nature has been good to East Lansing in the last week. Other than the bit of ice/snow we got on, I think, Thursday of last week, it's been very moderate for February, which has provided a good environment for students, staff, faculty, community, etc., to just be outside with each other.

imagine the vigil last Wednesday and Spartan Sunday yesterday if it had been typical February weather.. ya know, 12 degrees, windy and snowy. Would not have had the same (almost) spring-like feel we've had, encouraging people to be out and with others.

that's been a blessing.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-02-20, 12:41

DWags wrote:Maybe Nordic can speak to this. But this is from a friend. Warning: I think this guy knows but I’d not swear to it in court. This seems reasonable

“I heard for the next couple weeks-month the profs are recording their lectures so people can watch from home, they are giving all of the undergrad students a choice to just take the credit for the class if they don’t want to take a letter grade, and the school is encouraging profs to adjust their syllabus so they’re not cramming everything they missed last week in “

Up to the prof, but I think most are doing this.

FWIW 7500+ students have been moved from classes in Berkey. That is a lot of challenges.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-20, 12:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:professors have been told by the Administration not to 'catch up' on material, allow students flexibility and grace, listen, to not be overly punitive in any way relative to grading. Classes that were all being held in Berky have been reassigned to other buildings on campus, but with today being the first day back, it's difficult to know how that's being received, in terms of attendance.

the credit/no credit was established in Spring of 2020 in response to covid, extended into fall semester of 2020, as well. Which, in hindsight, provided a good precedent for this semester.

One thing I can say, Mother Nature has been good to East Lansing in the last week. Other than the bit of ice/snow we got on, I think, Thursday of last week, it's been very moderate for February, which has provided a good environment for students, staff, faculty, community, etc., to just be outside with each other.

imagine the vigil last Wednesday and Spartan Sunday yesterday if it had been typical February weather.. ya know, 12 degrees, windy and snowy. Would not have had the same (almost) spring-like feel we've had, encouraging people to be out and with others.

that's been a blessing.

As my very religious brother called and said to me yesterday regarding the weather for these events: “perhaps you might think Providence “.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-20, 12:54

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:Maybe Nordic can speak to this. But this is from a friend. Warning: I think this guy knows but I’d not swear to it in court. This seems reasonable

FWIW 7500+ students have been moved from classes in Berkey. That is a lot of challenges.

To do it in a week is amazing. Kudo’s to those administrators
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-20, 13:01

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

To do it in a week is amazing. Kudo’s to those administrators and faculty

The last three years have been pretty exhausting for higher education (education in general), and this adds such an unnecessary and tragic layer for MSU. What makes this even more horrible is administrators and faculty don't have to look far for precedent on how to best move forward. Colleagues 1-2 calls away have been through this before.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-02-20, 13:42

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:professors have been told by the Administration not to 'catch up' on material, allow students flexibility and grace, listen, to not be overly punitive in any way relative to grading. Classes that were all being held in Berky have been reassigned to other buildings on campus, but with today being the first day back, it's difficult to know how that's being received, in terms of attendance.

that's been a blessing.

As my very religious brother called and said to me yesterday regarding the weather for these events: “perhaps you might think Providence “.
and, see, I'm so non-religious that I have no idea what that even means. scratch Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-20, 14:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

and, see, I'm so non-religious that I have no idea what that even means. scratch Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.  502811600

It's a reference to Rhode Island, I think. I don't get it, must be a DWags family joke or something.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-02-20, 16:57

Nordic wrote:

So, a non related story... my Sr year,  I had to take Audit my last term. Singed up for an 11:40 in Berkey (right on grand river, later... nice...) they rescheduled it for 7:50 in the communication building, and every other class was full.

And that was my kick in the balls drop/add undergrad story, which also is a story of moving a class from Berkey.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-02-20, 17:25

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: and, see, I'm so non-religious that I have no idea what that even means. scratch Credit no-credit option for all undergrads.  502811600

It's a reference to Rhode Island, I think. I don't get it, must be a DWags family joke or something.

Providence ——> Friars——> Friar Tuck ——> Tuck ——> Tuck comin’
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano, DWags, AvgMSUJoe and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-20, 17:33

FFS. Heathens.

the protective care of God or of nature as a spiritual power.
"they found their trust in divine providence to be a source of comfort"
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-02-20, 18:01

DWags wrote:FFS. Heathens.  

Part of the reason I'm not religious is I have no idea what this means. Same reason I don't get the meaning of Shakespheare, musicals, etc. I'm just a dumb meathead.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-02-20, 18:37

Nordic wrote:

Part of the reason I'm not religious is I have no idea what this means. Same reason I don't get the meaning of Shakespheare, musicals, etc. I'm just a dumb meathead.

Yeah, I’m not religious either. Just trying to keep up with my brother in conversations. The lug has a degree from the wrong university also. But like him, when raised by an Italian Catholic we were forced into catechism for years. Even sleeping in class the Nuns hit you with a ruler enough to pick up a word here or there.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-02-20, 20:22

Yes, I’m aware of the reference. I’d recommend you respond with this: “Perhaps you might think climate change.”
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-02-20, 20:53

I have been to Newport, but not Providence. I didn't know it was a place go-to place for comfort. I just thought it was a smaller Boston or something.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-02-20, 21:35

Turtleneck wrote:

I have been to Newport, but not Providence. I didn't know it was a place go-to place for comfort. I just thought it was a smaller Boston or something.

Thayer St. next to Brown U. is good for some local eats. You can also watch the hippie chicks wandering around in search of inspiration for their poetry classes. Providence has excellent food options, mostly and especially Italian, starting with Federal Hill.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-02-20, 21:37

And after your cliff walk in Newport, head to the Black Pearl.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down