Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So is this true? Does this email exist at MSU?

+7
Cameron
Motown Spartan
Heat Miser
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
Trapper Gus
DWags
11 posters

Go down

So is this true? Does this email exist at MSU?  Empty So is this true? Does this email exist at MSU?

Post by DWags 2023-03-30, 10:32

Or is fox lying?

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6323645339112
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So is this true? Does this email exist at MSU?  Empty Re: So is this true? Does this email exist at MSU?

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-30, 11:03

Pretty sure looking at the words Fox is lying in some way. Probably context.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

So is this true? Does this email exist at MSU?  Empty Re: So is this true? Does this email exist at MSU?

Post by DWags 2023-03-30, 11:05

The MSU "Christian" girl they are using seems to have a real dry mouth and seems nervous. That might just be because she's on National T.v.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-30, 11:14

DWags wrote:The MSU "Christian" girl they are using seems to have a real dry mouth and seems nervous. That might just be because she's on National T.v.

Or high as fuuuuuuuuuck

Anyway they should sue them if anything is untrue I don’t care if they can’t for some reason everyone just keep suing these people until they need to spend all of their money on lawyers to defend themselves
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-03-30, 11:26

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:The MSU "Christian" girl they are using seems to have a real dry mouth and seems nervous. That might just be because she's on National T.v.

Or high as fuuuuuuuuuck

Anyway they should sue them if anything is untrue I don’t care if they can’t for some reason everyone just keep suing these people until they need to spend all of their money on lawyers to defend themselves

Totally agree. For the life of me I don't know why we wouldn't immediately sue them. If this email exists, I would think that Fox would have a copy of it and show it wouldn't they?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-30, 11:38

Spoiler- no one is telling students they can’t say America. I don’t know what they said, but it wasn’t that.

This shit is just so silly. That’s the only word for it. Silly nonsense. Anyone who buys it is a stone cold fucking idiot.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-03-30, 11:45

Trapper Gus wrote:Pretty sure looking at the words Fox is lying in some way. Probably context.

1% truth and 99% Fox narrative.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-03-30, 11:45

I call BS until I see documented proof. Sounds like FOX is trying to bothsides all the book banning, etc. "Oooh look at this! The lefties are banning harmless words! We're banning all the harmful words! What an outrage!"
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-03-30, 11:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Spoiler- no one is telling students they can’t say America. I don’t know what they said, but it wasn’t that.

This shit is just so silly. That’s the only word for it. Silly nonsense. Anyone who buys it is a stone cold fucking idiot.

We live in Macomb. It’s as diverse as you can get. From PhD’s to equivalency degrees. My daughters friends scale that. Some of them are doctors lawyers, engineers, professionals. Some are blue collar. They all keep in touch with each other.

My youngest daughter texted me and some of her friends, are texting her today and asking her.” what the fuck is going on at your college”. These kids absolutely believe that story.

It’s how I found out about the story. It’s also why I’m asking. I wonder if any such document exists? I get the feeling it’s a document from someone on campus that is not connected to any type of administration, but has been blowing up and right wing circles.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-30, 12:01

Tracking down the "Michigan State Inclusion Guide" it is a subset of the Storytelling Guide from the MSU Brand Studio.

The MSU Brand Studio's mission is:

Our brand builds connection with Spartans and others who care about our mission.
The MSU brand helps shape the way people think, feel and respond when they see words or imagery representing Michigan State University.

The brand strategy guides work to tell MSU's story, helping us communicate with a clear and consistent voice and visual identity. Working together helps build a stronger, more memorable and distinctive MSU brand that inspires emotional connection, interest, pride and loyalty.

This important work supports MSU's strategic plan to empower excellence, advance equity and expand impact.

Which is part of University Communcations whose mission is:

University Communications

We’re the hub for MSU’s latest news and the passionate storytellers who never tire of lifting up the individual strength, collective power and extraordinary impact of Spartans.

In University Communications, we tell the Spartan story every day, ensuring MSU’s mission, values and vibrancy are shared in ways that inform, inspire and engage audiences across Michigan, the nation and the world.

Thus, this student with an agenda has taken a section of the overall guidelines for writing formal communications from MSU Communcation Guidelines manuals and zeroed in on the diversity section which is designed to inform those who might be writing formal communications to be sensitive to possibly using "loaded" language unknowingly.

MSU Inclusion Guide

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-30, 12:09

Some Quotes from the MSU Inclusion Guide for MSU Communications:

Michigan State University values communications practices that support belonging for all Spartans. In alignment with strategic efforts around diversity, equity and inclusion, the Inclusive Guide provides best practices for communications in the following areas:

· Gender and Sexuality · Race and Ethnicity · Global Identity · Disability

The guide aligns with the MSU Editorial Style Guide and includes recommendations informing images, web content, speeches, events and more.

General Practices

Use great care when writing about identity. This guide is not one size fits all and is meant to be applied on a case-by-case basis depending on tone, channel, audience and content. Often, language boils down to individual identity, which brings up the overarching principle of this guide: Consult with the individual to determine how they would like to be referred.

The purpose of the guide is to inform general communications and does not apply to academic, medical, legal or other specialized fields. Some terminology, like obesity, is specific to a disease, thus, recommendations to use alternative options do not apply to technical applications.

Furthermore, the recommendations do not apply to established names. For example, one recommendation to use alum(s) or graduate(s) instead of the gendered term alumni does not apply to office or group names, such as the Alumni Office or MSU Black Alumni.

It’s important to note that using inclusive language in communications is an evolving and dynamic practice, so while this guide covers several areas, it is not comprehensive in scope. Accordingly, the guide only provides recommendations that should be considered in a case-by-case scenario, as many factors will determine the appropriate language for various types of content and target audience.
-- underline & bold added by TG

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-03-30, 13:04

MSU: when communicating on behalf of MSU, don’t use the N word.

Everyone:

Butthurt Christian Conservative Zealot: they’re suppressing free speech and hurting my feels.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, DWags, AvgMSUJoe, Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-03-30, 13:16

Motown Spartan wrote:MSU: when communicating on behalf of MSU, don’t use the N word.

Everyone:

Butthurt Christian Conservative Zealot: they’re suppressing free speech and hurting my feels.

It always comes down to their fe fe’s doesn’t it? They’re the biggest group of fuckin babies on the planet masquerading as tough guys. Everyone knows it’s just play acting though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan, Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-30, 13:17

Motown Spartan wrote:MSU: when communicating on behalf of MSU, don’t use the N word.

Everyone:

And Fox not the News: Let's cheery pick some words, completely out of context, to ridicule liberals.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-03-30, 16:55

Furthermore, the recommendations do not apply to established names. For example, one recommendation to use alum(s) or graduate(s) instead of the gendered term alumni does not apply to office or group names, such as the Alumni Office or MSU Black Alumni.

I have to nitpick. Alumni is not a gendered term, it is plural. Alumnus and alumna are the virtually unused singular gendered versions. Stupid shit like this drives me nuts.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-30, 17:35

Cameron wrote:

I have to nitpick. Alumni is not a gendered term, it is plural. Alumnus and alumna are the virtually unused singular gendered versions. Stupid shit like this drives me nuts.

It looks to be more complex that that.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/alumni-or-alumnus-usage-guide

Alumnus = usually single male graduate, less often single female graduate

Alumni = plural male graduates & plural gender neutral graduates

Alumna = single female graduate

Alumnae = plural female graduates

Alum = single graduate, gender neutral

Alums = plural graduates, gender neutral

Here are the OED (January 1981 Printing) Definitions

Alumnus = [ L = a foster child]  The nursling or pupil of any university, school, or any other seat of learning

Alumni = In OED usage examples this is the same as Alumnus (TG)

Alumna = Not listed.  (Alumnation = fostering, feeding)

Alumnae = Not listed

Alum = a whitish transparent mineral salt

Alums = Not listed
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-03-30, 17:49

DWags wrote:The MSU "Christian" girl they are using seems to have a real dry mouth and seems nervous.  That might just be because she's on National T.v.  

Or high as fuuuuuuuuuck

Not a lawyer but I doubt an institution can sue for slander. I’d love it if it can. As for lawyers’ fees, Fox “News” is already up to its tits in legal fees from the Dominion lawsuit(s). Hate to see it.
So is this true? Does this email exist at MSU?  1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-30, 18:01

tGreenWay wrote:

Or high as fuuuuuuuuuck

Not a lawyer but I doubt an institution can sue for slander. I’d love it if it can. As for lawyers’ fees, Fox “News” is already up to its tits in legal fees from the Dominion lawsuit(s). Hate to see it.

Fox will argue, as they are in the voting machine company's lawsuit, that they only broadcast what other people were saying.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-03-30, 20:00

Trapper Gus wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Fox will argue, as they are in the voting machine company's lawsuit, that they only broadcast what other people were saying.

and when they do it's only the parts that they know their audience will eat up
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-30, 20:01

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

and when they do it's only the parts that they know their audience will eat up

They rely on the average person not knowing that what the network puts on the air is a decision.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-03-30, 20:36

Trapper Gus wrote:
Cameron wrote:

It looks to be more complex that that.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/alumni-or-alumnus-usage-guide

Alumnus = usually single male graduate, less often single female graduate

Alumni = plural male graduates & plural gender neutral graduates

Alumna = single female graduate

Alumnae = plural female graduates

Alum = single graduate, gender neutral

Alums = plural graduates, gender neutral

Here are the OED (January 1981 Printing) Definitions

Alumnus = [ L = a foster child]  The nursling or pupil of any university, school, or any other seat of learning

Alumni = In OED usage examples this is the same as Alumnus (TG)

Alumna = Not listed.  (Alumnation = fostering, feeding)

Alumnae = Not listed

Alum = a whitish transparent mineral salt

Alums = Not listed

I had no doubt that you would have a response of some sort. I don't see that anything you've just posted has contradicted what I said. "Alumni = plural male graduates & plural gender neutral graduates"

You do know that saying nothing is an option, yes? Like, you don't have to respond to literally every post on this forum.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-31, 07:41

It points out it has been used as a gendered term and in general the current usage of words involving graduates of an institution of learning are mixed.  That doesn't not contradict what you said, the point is that if someone wants to refer only to female graduates there are probably better words than that.

Just nitpicking on word usage.

As a guide to usage the authors of the Inclusion document had to make some choices, maybe not the ones other authors would have made.

Point taken - I'll try to restrain myself somewhat.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-03-31, 08:22

That chick is on amphetamines.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2023-03-31, 22:15

DWags wrote:Or is fox lying?

Can someone please explain a little about what was claimed? I don't really want to give fox news impressions. What I gather so far is some random conservative extremist is claiming MSU is banning use of a common word because wokism and naturally fox is broadcasting it with zero context and it is probably an out of context statement from somewhere, per the usual.
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-03-31, 22:48

sεяεηιτλ wrote:
DWags wrote:Or is fox lying?

Can someone please explain a little about what was claimed? I don't really want to give fox news impressions. What I gather so far is some random conservative extremist is claiming MSU is banning use of a common word because wokism and naturally fox is broadcasting it with zero context and it is probably an out of context statement from somewhere, per the usual.

Without Fox this is a nothing burger.

MSU has a protocol for communications issued under its name. Within that there is a detailed guideline for various situations.

Fox took that guideline, cherry picked silly example words without the guideline context, and pissed all over the Green & White.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down