Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It’s the program. This won’t be in the Detroit media, and I’m giving it, it’s own thread because it won’t.

+4
Trapper Gus
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
DWags
8 posters

Go down

It’s the program.  This won’t be in the Detroit media, and I’m giving it, it’s own thread because it won’t.  Empty It’s the program. This won’t be in the Detroit media, and I’m giving it, it’s own thread because it won’t.

Post by DWags 2023-04-06, 13:50

If you have a Twitter account, ask Wojo or chengellis if they heard about this. Or ask the Freep if foia’ing Ishbia’s donation was more important. 

The police would never try to question the three players or anyone else in the football program about the incident and possible video evidence. The school would decline to launch a formal investigation and never speak to the athlete accused of the assault, who had transferred to another university. No one would talk to a fourth player, who told USA TODAY he had been invited over that night but was turned away at the door by his teammates. 
With Quinn dead, the authorities would decide it wasn’t worth pursuing. ”

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2023/04/06/michigan-athlete-alleged-rape-mom-presses-jim-harbaugh-answers/11258929002/
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

It’s the program.  This won’t be in the Detroit media, and I’m giving it, it’s own thread because it won’t.  Empty Re: It’s the program. This won’t be in the Detroit media, and I’m giving it, it’s own thread because it won’t.

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-06, 14:13

When you turn college sports into a for-profit industry, brands will eventually trump humanity every single time. This seems incredibly similar to something that took place at Notre Dame years ago with a St. Mary's student.

I am confused about Harbaugh not being able to talk about private conversations. Unless there is a legal action that prohibits him from disclosing the content of his private conversations, the University cannot stop him. That comment comes off as pure cowardice. Don't forget to tweet directly at Santa since he has an open lovefest with the program on social media

And note that once again, the Washtenaw County prosecutor fails at his job because he cannot separate justice from a football program. A leather ball has corrupted that guy. I have no interest in Washtenaw County, and I don't live remotely close to the county, but his opponent will probably get a donation from me during the next election out of protest.

Oh, and where are those ESPN folks who made it their mission to get justice for sexual assault victims and survivors? Oh, that's right, their interest in justice stops when they fear losing access to a brand name.

I want to be fair here. MSU disgusted me in the past with their handling of sexual assault, and the same goes for UM. However, in the MSU case, the people who could publically hold MSU to account did so. But when it comes to UM they are nowhere to be found.

Rant over.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, InTenSity, DWags, Nordic and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

It’s the program.  This won’t be in the Detroit media, and I’m giving it, it’s own thread because it won’t.  Empty Re: It’s the program. This won’t be in the Detroit media, and I’m giving it, it’s own thread because it won’t.

Post by tGreenWay 2023-04-06, 15:11

Freep and LSJ are now carrying it. How embarrassing for local news that the grieving mom couldn’t trust Detroit media to cover this story so she had to go out of town.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-04-06, 15:21

Turtleneck wrote:When you turn college sports into a for-profit industry, brands will eventually trump humanity every single time. This seems incredibly similar to something that took place at Notre Dame years ago with a St. Mary's student.

I am confused about Harbaugh not being able to talk about private conversations. Unless there is a legal action that prohibits him from disclosing the content of his private conversations, the University cannot stop him. That comment comes off as pure cowardice. Don't forget to tweet directly at Santa since he has an open lovefest with the program on social media

And note that once again, the Washtenaw County prosecutor fails at his job because he cannot separate justice from a football program. A leather ball has corrupted that guy. I have no interest in Washtenaw County, and I don't live remotely close to the county, but his opponent will probably get a donation from me during the next election out of protest.

Oh, and where are those ESPN folks who made it their mission to get justice for sexual assault victims and survivors? Oh, that's right, their interest in justice stops when they fear losing access to a brand name.

I want to be fair here. MSU disgusted me in the past with their handling of sexual assault, and the same goes for UM. However, in the MSU case, the people who could publically hold MSU to account did so. But when it comes to UM they are nowhere to be found.

Rant over.

Well said
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-06, 15:26

tGreenWay wrote:Freep and LSJ are now carrying it. How embarrassing for local news that the grieving mom couldn’t trust Detroit media to cover this story so she had to go out of town.

I know nothing about how journalism works (yes, among many other things, GreenWay). If you do, help me out.

How is it that nearly every time a national story puts UM in a negative light, the Detroit media manages to get "scooped" by out-of-area journalists with far less access? UM is in Detroit's backyard, and they devote major resources to covering UM athletics. Again and again, the Detroit media fails to report these stories. It's almost like they have to know, or at least have heard enough to prompt some questions but decide to ignore everything. Detroit either has the world's laziest collection of journalists, or it's intentional.

The Free Press and USA Today are owned by the same publisher, right? That makes it even more mind-boggling. An investigative reporter who covers issues of sexual assault but lives in San Jose wrote the story but nobody from the Free Press was ever aware?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-06, 16:52

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Freep and LSJ are now carrying it. How embarrassing for local news that the grieving mom couldn’t trust Detroit media to cover this story so she had to go out of town.

I know nothing about how journalism works (yes, among many other things, GreenWay). If you do, help me out.

How is it that nearly every time a national story puts UM in a negative light, the Detroit media manages to get "scooped" by out-of-area journalists with far less access? UM is in Detroit's backyard, and they devote major resources to covering UM athletics. Again and again, the Detroit media fails to report these stories. It's almost like they have to know, or at least have heard enough to prompt some questions but decide to ignore everything. Detroit either has the world's laziest collection of journalists, or it's intentional.

The Free Press and USA Today are owned by the same publisher, right? That makes it even more mind-boggling. An investigative reporter who covers issues of sexual assault but lives in San Jose wrote the story but nobody from the Free Press was ever aware?

On staff reporters don't get to choose which stories they cover, the editor they work for does that. At best they may hear something, which they may follow up on, but if the story gets written or published is all on the editors.

Editors are going to publish stories they think will sell papers, back in the day, or gain clicks in the internet era.

As a guess this story was brought in by a local reporter and it had enough interesting elements that it deemed click bait, but the local guys didn't want to risk losing UofM fan readers over it, so they shipped the details off to another location, who wrote the story.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-04-07, 01:17

Just seeing this post/story. Brutal. Poor kid. Poor mom. My worst nightmare.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-04-07, 03:44

Story is sickening. Business as usual at UM...sweep it under the rug.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-07, 08:24

The Pantry wrote:Story is sickening. Business as usual at UM...sweep it under the rug.

It is a sick story, and not trying to defend the indefendable, aka UofM and it's entitled culture.

However, the death of the woman complicates the possibilities for law enforcement.

It is not a he said / she said case without her.

If they invest the resources, it is he said / hearsay case, even with video evidence.

Add to that the victim is an admitted drug user prior to the rape, who was picked up at a bar.

It sucks big time, but law enforcement has limited resources, and this is not the strongest case to follow up on.

Not that those asshats in Ann Arbor would have with a stronger case, but just saying...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-04-07, 15:48

As of now, this story appears to have been buried. I might have missed it, but the story is gone from the Freep. It had a thumbnail on Freep's front page yesterday, but it's gone and does not appear in the sports section. There is nothing from the News. Nor did it get traction nationally. This is not about me trying to reduce this to a rivalry. What Nordic said above is where our thoughts should be, so it's about decency. It's about how UM presents one image publically but is entirely indecent privately, and how people in a position to do something refuse to do so, thus becoming indecent themselves.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-07, 16:51

Turtleneck wrote:As of now, this story appears to have been buried. I might have missed it, but the story is gone from the Freep. It had a thumbnail on Freep's front page yesterday, but it's gone and does not appear in the sports section. There is nothing from the News. Nor did it get traction nationally. This is not about me trying to reduce this to a rivalry. What Nordic said above is where our thoughts should be, so it's about decency. It's about how UM presents one image publically but is entirely indecent privately, and how people in a position to do something refuse to do so, thus becoming indecent themselves.

This!

It isn't that they have problems. Most major programs do. Its that they pretend they are choir boys and that their poop doesn't stink, and the local and national media bows down to that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2023-04-07, 17:17

Horrible story of several counts, sexual assault, lack of consequences for athletes and the pandemic of illicit fentanyl killing tens of thousands of people
Tragic
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-04-07, 18:15

Check the education section and behind the paywall. That's where the freep likes to hide things that they don't want seeing the light of day and it gives them a built in excuse to say they did cover it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down