Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reports out of Detroit media say the Ausmus Experiment is over

+6
Giant Moose
HT
kingstonlake
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
GRR Spartan
10 posters

Go down

Reports out of Detroit media say the Ausmus Experiment is over  Empty Reports out of Detroit media say the Ausmus Experiment is over

Post by GRR Spartan September 11th 2015, 12:19 am

According to reports new GM Al Avila has told Ausmus Mr. Ilitich was unhappy with team on field communication and he will be naming his own manager for the '16 season.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/baseball/exclusive-tigers-to-fire-manager-brad-ausmus-after-season/35211198

Last edited by GRR Spartan on September 11th 2015, 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Reports out of Detroit media say the Ausmus Experiment is over  Empty Re: Reports out of Detroit media say the Ausmus Experiment is over

Post by steveschneider September 11th 2015, 12:22 am

If they are thinking about it then they should just get it over.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Reports out of Detroit media say the Ausmus Experiment is over  Empty Re: Reports out of Detroit media say the Ausmus Experiment is over

Post by Travis of the Cosmos September 11th 2015, 12:23 am

And then they will hire gardenhire and it will be the dumbest thing ever to do. Well. Less dumb than keeping ausmus. But still dumb.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake September 11th 2015, 2:21 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:And then they will hire gardenhire and it will be the dumbest thing ever to do. Well. Less dumb than keeping ausmus. But still dumb.

What is the "not dumb" solution?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos September 11th 2015, 2:25 am

kingstonlake wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:And then they will hire gardenhire and it will be the dumbest thing ever to do. Well. Less dumb than keeping ausmus. But still dumb.

When they pay me to take the time to figure that out I'll figure it out.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake September 11th 2015, 2:55 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Ok?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 11th 2015, 4:14 am

Agree they should just get it over with and fire him.

Disagree on hiring Gardenhire, not sure he's the one.

At the risk of being called whatever - I'm sort of inclined to think along the lines
of a Latino manager to light a fire under Victor/Miggy/40% of our team.   NOT Ozzy
Guillen but someone similar.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider September 11th 2015, 5:44 am

Starting to not like the illitches as owners. Should of had the decency to let brad finish the season out or if you are going to leak a story like that just get it over with now.

The Gardenhire era is about to begin, if he wants it. The pitching on this team is horrendous. Not sure what manager out there can win with the lack of four solid starting pitchers and a horrendous bull pen.

In the illitches want to win again, they are going to have to up the payroll and sign pitchers.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider September 11th 2015, 6:10 am

From the Det news article

"The Tigers are also at or near the bottom in just about every pitching category — both starting and relief pitching. The current pitching staff features 11 players who began the season in the minor leagues.
The starting rotation has been reduced to Justin Verlander, Alfredo Simon and then a makeshift group that has included rookies Matt Boyd, Daniel Norris (injured), Buck Farmer and Kyle Lobstein, plus 39-year-old Randy Wolf who spent the majority of the season in Triple A.
There isn’t a manager in the game today who could win consistently with this staff."

Add in all of the injuries and you have a last place team.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos September 11th 2015, 8:33 am

kingstonlake wrote:

Ok?

It was late at night, so allow me to expand on my reply.

I don't fucking know. I hate replies like that. What, am I some kind of expert on every single guy that's available to manage? All while no one is really writing articles on potential managers yet because no one has a vacancy yet? How would I know that? What I do know is that Gardenhire is a terrible option, which is what I said. I don't know who they should go with.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT September 11th 2015, 8:47 am

Thank God. Ausmus was an atrocious hire from the very second he was rumored to be a candidate. You don't hand someone with no MLB coaching experience whatsoever the roster the Tigers had. That boneheaded move wasted two potentially very good years.

And the team was going to be bad with the pitching injuries and Cabrera's injury, but Ausmus made things worse with a myriad of bad decisions on his own.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake September 11th 2015, 9:15 am

kingstonlake wrote:

Ok?

I don't fucking know. I hate replies like that. What, am I some kind of expert on every single guy that's available to manage? All while no one is really writing articles on potential managers yet because no one has a vacancy yet? How would I know that? What I do know is that Gardenhire is a terrible option, which is what I said. I don't know who they should go with.

If you don't know who is a good hire, how do you know Gardenhire is a bad one? I'm only asking because you seem adament about him being a dumb hire but admit you don't know what or who makes a smart one.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos September 11th 2015, 9:18 am

kingstonlake wrote:

If you don't know who is a good hire, how do you know Gardenhire is a bad one? I'm only asking because you seem adament about him being a dumb hire but admit you don't know what or who makes a smart one.

Gardenhire was a flat out failure at Minnesota. I don't care about their payroll, they had good teams. They did nothing with them. Look at what they did this year after he left... Are they really that much better than they were last year?

I don't trust that guy.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose September 11th 2015, 9:22 am

steveschneider wrote:Starting to not like the illitches as owners. Should of had the decency to let brad finish the season out or if you are going to leak a story like that just get it over with now.

The Gardenhire era is about to begin, if he wants it. The pitching on this team is horrendous. Not sure what manager out there can win with the lack of four solid starting pitchers and a horrendous bull pen.

In the illitches want to win again, they are going to have to up the payroll and sign pitchers.
Starting to? He's the same dude who ignored the franchise and let it lose 119 games. Ilitch has cared lately but if he doesn't get a World Series win before he's dead, he's been a big failure as an owner.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher September 11th 2015, 9:24 am

I read somewhere from MLB sources that it's going to take Ausmus all of 5 minutes to get a new gig if he's let go. We'll see. That would be interesting.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake September 11th 2015, 9:31 am

kingstonlake wrote:

If you don't know who is a good hire, how do you know Gardenhire is a bad one?  I'm only asking because you seem adament about him being a dumb hire but admit you don't know what or who makes a smart one.

Gardenhire was a flat out failure at Minnesota. I don't care about their payroll, they had good teams. They did nothing with them. Look at what they did this year after he left... Are they really that much better than they were last year?

I don't trust that guy.

So you only want to discuss or highlight the negative aspects of Gardenhires managing career, throw out their frugal, even penny piching ownership practices as evidence of how he sucks?

Ok.

Solid debate.

You don't trust him? Did you catch him with your wife?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher September 11th 2015, 9:36 am

Reports out of Detroit media say the Ausmus Experiment is over  AFC9CE9469E54B628A08F90B0A66F207

Think he's ready to un-retire?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 11th 2015, 9:39 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I read somewhere from MLB sources that it's going to take Ausmus all of 5 minutes to get a new gig if he's let go. We'll see. That would be interesting.
Supposedly the Padres want him.  I fail to see the attraction, I think he's been a piss poor manager.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher September 11th 2015, 9:44 am

#ThrowTheJewDowntheWell
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan September 11th 2015, 9:50 am

I think Manny Acta is going to be the next Tiger manager. He's actually interested in sabermetrics input, unlike Ausmus who seemed to consistently ignore them. Add in that he's latin and has managing experience, I think he's the perfect guy in Avila's eyes.

Here's a pretty good article I read a week ago highlighting his aptitude for sabermetrics.

Manny Acta likes numbers
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider September 11th 2015, 10:16 am

kingstonlake wrote:

If you don't know who is a good hire, how do you know Gardenhire is a bad one?  I'm only asking because you seem adament about him being a dumb hire but admit you don't know what or who makes a smart one.

I don't trust that guy.

Failure? Has an over .500 record as the Twins manager, won the central 6 times in 13 years.  

Gardenhire's teams ran into far superior Yankees teams in the playoffs. I don't think it's fair to call him a failure, he did more with less.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider September 11th 2015, 10:22 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I read somewhere from MLB sources that it's going to take Ausmus all of 5 minutes to get a new gig if he's let go. We'll see. That would be interesting.

Wouldn't surprise me, I've watched a lot of the season. He has the team ready to go almost every game and as a manager that's about 90% of the job. The team was still within striking distance of a wc spot about a month ago and this team is dog shit.

I'm convinced you could plug in the best manager in baseball at the start of this year and the record is probably improved by 2-4 games. The talent is so bad on this team, this is the type of season where a HOF type of manager makes a BS excuse about his health or whatever to step down from the job. No matter who is hired this team is not winning next year unless the pitching is improved a ton.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher September 11th 2015, 10:31 am

steveschneider wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me, I've watched a lot of the season. He has the team ready to go almost every game and as a manager that's about 90% of the job. The team was still within striking distance of a wc spot about a month ago and this team is dog shit.

I'm convinced you could plug in the best manager in baseball at the start of this year and the record is probably improved by 2-4 games. The talent is so bad on this team, this is the type of season where a HOF type of manager makes a BS excuse about his health or whatever to step down from the job. No matter who is hired this team is not winning next year unless the pitching is improved a ton.

Disagree with the first part, but mostly agree with the 2nd part. 

Though regarding getting the team ready, I'm not sure a manager can really do that. It continues to amaze me how lifeless the lineup is when they are trotting out the kind of talent they have.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan September 11th 2015, 10:35 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:#ThrowTheJewDowntheWell

Really bad taste. Pretty damned funny.

Hiring Ausmus was the beginning of the end for Dombrowski. You get the feeling the Ilitch's grudgingly agreed to naming Ausmus and when you read Dombrowski was fighting to retain Ausmus at least to the end of the season this season, it pretty much confirms suppurating of Ausmus was a big part in the strange release of a successful GM.

I had hoped the Tigers could have hired Joe Madden but he was still under contract and his price may have been too high.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT September 11th 2015, 10:56 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Supposedly the Padres want him.  I fail to see the attraction, I think he's been a piss poor manager.

He was some front office assistant/advisor for a while? That organization's a general mess anyways.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court September 11th 2015, 11:05 am

Baseball managers influence the outcome of a baseball game about as much as the bat boy. If you have solid pitching and solid hitting a drunk blind mute donkey can lead a team to the playoffs.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider September 11th 2015, 11:07 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Disagree with the first part, but mostly agree with the 2nd part. 

Though regarding getting the team ready, I'm not sure a manager can really do that. It continues to amaze me how lifeless the lineup is when they are trotting out the kind of talent they have.

re pt 1, you are probably right but I do give Ausmus credit for having the team being within striking distance of the wild card spot just a month ago. Especially after the trade deadline losing Price and Yoenis who is looking like NL MVP now.

As of now the Tigers are 19.5 games behind KC. If we are to attribute blame I'd say 18 of those games are on injuries and the terrible pitching/holes in the lineup. I'd probably put about 1.5 of those games on Ausmus.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan September 11th 2015, 11:08 am

Izzo Court wrote:Baseball managers influence the outcome of a baseball game about as much as the bat boy. If you have solid pitching and solid hitting a drunk blind mute donkey can lead a team to the playoffs.

Tell that to Matt Williams.

Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 11th 2015, 11:35 am

steveschneider wrote:

And that's no guarantee - e.g. Washington Nationals.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest September 11th 2015, 11:36 am

GRR Spartan wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:#ThrowTheJewDowntheWell

Really bad taste.  Pretty damned funny.

Hiring Ausmus was the beginning of the end for Dombrowski.  You get the feeling the Ilitch's grudgingly agreed to naming Ausmus and when you read Dombrowski was fighting to retain Ausmus at least to the end of the season this season, it pretty much confirms suppurating of Ausmus was a big part in the strange release of a successful GM.

I had hoped the Tigers could have hired Joe Madden but he was still under contract and his price may have been too high.
I still regret they didn't talk Smokes into retiring a year earlier and then hiring Tito.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider September 11th 2015, 12:02 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

And that's no guarantee - e.g. Washington Nationals.

Tigers pitching ranks dead last in the AL for ERA, Hits, Runs, Earned Runs and Home Runs...I think in last nights broadcast they mentioned that this years staff is on the verge of making the record books for 3rd most amount of home runs allowed.

True there's a risk to any signing, but the Tigers are going no where until that is fixed.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry September 11th 2015, 11:41 pm

Not sure what the point is of letting Ausmus coach through the end of the season.

Gibby seems to be dealing with Parkinson's alright in the booth with Mario. Would love to see him finish this season as manager. He deserves at least that much as a Tiger legacy. He might serve as inspiration to the called-up kids
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down