Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan Legislature Debating Outlawing Childhood Marriage

+4
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Jake from State Farm
Trapper Gus
8 posters

Go down

Michigan Legislature Debating Outlawing Childhood Marriage Empty Michigan Legislature Debating Outlawing Childhood Marriage

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-05-11, 10:40

In Michigan there is no limit on how young a "bride" can be, though a judge's ruling is required for those 15-years old or younger, and a parent's permission is required for 16- & 17-year-olds.

This is appalling to me.

Marriage before the age of 18 just should not be legal, however it is totally nuts that a kid who was just raped and is pregnant could be forced to be married to her rapist or someone else.

https://michiganadvance.com/2023/05/10/house-panel-weighs-bills-ending-child-marriage-in-michigan/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Michigan Legislature Debating Outlawing Childhood Marriage Empty Re: Michigan Legislature Debating Outlawing Childhood Marriage

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-05-11, 14:25

Trapper Gus wrote:In Michigan there is no limit on how young a "bride" can be, though a judge's ruling is required for those 15-years old or younger, and a parent's permission is required for 16- & 17-year-olds.

This is appalling to me.

Marriage before the age of 18 just should not be legal, however it is totally nuts that a kid who was just raped and is pregnant could be forced to be married to her rapist or someone else.

https://michiganadvance.com/2023/05/10/house-panel-weighs-bills-ending-child-marriage-in-michigan/

I got married at 17 and it's still working for us almost 50 years later, but we're the exception from what I've seen. It wasn't easy raising a family that young and most of the marriages that young do end in failure, I think mostly due to money problems. We did have to get it okayed by the parents and probate court. Would I encourage anyone to get married that young, no.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan Legislature Debating Outlawing Childhood Marriage Empty Re: Michigan Legislature Debating Outlawing Childhood Marriage

Post by DWags 2023-05-11, 14:40

So wait, some Judge can decide if a 14 year old can get married? WTF? I never knew that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-05-11, 14:48

Springsteen was way ahead of y'all with "Child Bride".

(also, this is a very rare tune.. didn't make the cute on "Nebraska" but a lot of the lyrics showed up in "Working on the Highway" off the Born in the USA record).

you're welcome.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-05-11, 15:14

Debating? Why does there need to be a debate on this?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-05-11, 20:00

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:In Michigan there is no limit on how young a "bride" can be, though a judge's ruling is required for those 15-years old or younger, and a parent's permission is required for 16- & 17-year-olds.

This is appalling to me.

I got married at 17 and it's still working for us almost 50 years later, but we're the exception from what I've seen. It wasn't easy raising a family that young and most of the marriages that young do end in failure, I think mostly due to money problems. We did have to get it okayed by the parents and probate court. Would I encourage anyone to get married that young, no.

Congratulations on making it work. Hopefully you both wanted that. However, too many times young women are being forced into marriages that they don't want to be in.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-05-11, 20:09

I started dating my wife when she was 15 and I was 17... probably would have married her then but we got hitched after undergrad... 29 years now(? Maybe...)

To be fair, Only want to talk to her like 3 days a week... but we are probably stuck with each other.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-05-11, 20:14

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I started dating my wife when she was 15 and I was 17... probably would have married her then but we got hitched after undergrad... 29 years now(? Maybe...)

To be fair, Only want to talk to her like 3 days a week... but we are probably stuck with each other.

Marriage is a business partnership as much as a romance.

Sounds like you waited until you were both adults, nothing wrong with that.

Congratulations on the 29 years
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ 2023-05-11, 21:01

DWags wrote:So wait, some Judge can decide if a 14 year old can get married?  WTF?  I never knew that.  

Nor did I.  Now just imagine, probably north of 50% of judges lean right and then half of those are for things like forced birth, child labor, incorporation of church into the state, etc.

hmmm, I wonder where 25-50٪ of these judges rulings are going....
sεяεηιτλ
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-05-11, 21:07

The quiet supporters of marrying off young females are religious sects (typically fundamentalist Christian types and minority of Mormon sects whose core beliefs include women being subservient to husbands.

Most are arranged marriages similar other countries like India where daughters are treated like chattel and it's more of a business deal. The 15+ years older husband gets a 14 year old wife who is often "one schooled" and once legally married he can control her and their children.

Ironic many of the same GOP pols who want to point fingers at "groomers" if they are Democrats play the religious freedom card when protecting this 19th century practice of legal child rape.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down