Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seriously, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern? WTF?

+8
Cameron
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
GRR Spartan
NigelUno
duffy munn
aualum06
DWags
12 posters

Go down

Seriously, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern?  WTF?  Empty Seriously, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern? WTF?

Post by DWags Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:01 am

I mean is there anything left to be shocked about?

[tw]1677797043832512516?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Seriously, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern?  WTF?  Empty Re: Seriously, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern? WTF?

Post by aualum06 Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:09 am

Be shocked if he survives the week
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

tGreenWay, duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Seriously, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern?  WTF?  Empty Re: Seriously, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern? WTF?

Post by duffy munn Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:12 am

I will never understand hazing and why anyone would subject themselves to it.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:39 am

[tw]1677899475002458113?t=UOA6DIc23Un4OEfbD9SI3A&s=19[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:01 am

“ The Daily Northwestern published an explosive report that included a detailed account of hazing incidents within the Wildcat program from a former player who wished to remain anonymous. His statements were corroborated by another player, again anonymously.

If true, they could mean the end of Fitzgerald's 18-year tenure at Northwestern, as difficult as that is to believe.

The allegations were disturbing and sexual in nature, including a forced center-quarterback exchange while naked.

The smoking gun, however, was the practice of “running” a player, when “a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various ‘Purge-like’ masks” would surround and “dry hump” a player in the locker room who made a mistake during practice or in a game.

What makes this running allegation particularly incendiary was that the player alleges that Fitzgerald not only knew of the practice but would sometimes identify players who needed to be “ran” ”
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:12 am

[tw]1677849108852375557?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:44 am

If the donors financing their stadium renovation want him gone, he gone.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:13 pm

My guess is the whole NU major donor community is as shocked and disappointed as the athletic donors.  

Fitzgerald’s defense is he wasn’t aware of the hazing or specifics.  He’s been HC for 17-18 years and an NU assistant for 4 more.  “I didn’t know” might fly for an HC with less than 2-3 years at a school but this appears like people went out of their to give hime deniability.

If Fitzgerald survives, it’s probably short term survival thru the ‘23 season.  If he’s shown the door, an interim will be there  and the school will begin its search for a new coach early, find finalists and name a successor days after this season’s conclusion.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:28 pm

Ugh.

I always kinda liked Fitzgerald. I suspect there's no way he survives this.

If so, wow.. what a time to have to look for a new coach. I suspect an interim would be announced (as long as there is a potential interim who can be absolved of any association with this).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:30 pm

My daughters boyfriend is a Northwestern under grad. He’s very pissed. I really think most NU grads are about college and doing it right. Not about shit like this. If Vegas was giving odds I’d say 80% chance he’s gone.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:39 pm

1-11 last year.
3-9 in 2021.

Seriously, Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern?  WTF?  1362440668
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and MSU addict like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:55 pm

NigelUno wrote:1-11 last year.
3-9 in 2021.

She, I get that. However, I guess when you look around in the Big Ten and other conferences, maybe I was naïve, but I always thought he did things the collegiate way. Education, career, goals, work hard on the football field, and perhaps win, but perhaps they don’t. But nonetheless a clean program and a good person. It just bothers me that that type of mentality even exists at Northwestern. And I guess that’s on me for being so naïve.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:17 pm

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:1-11 last year.
3-9 in 2021.

She, I get that. However, I guess when you look around in the Big Ten and other conferences, maybe I was naïve, but I always thought he did things the collegiate way. Education, career, goals, work hard on the football field, and perhaps win, but perhaps they don’t. But nonetheless a clean program and a good person. It just bothers me that that type of mentality even exists at Northwestern. And I guess that’s on me for being so naïve.

Yeah. I always thought he was a good coach. Just a little hamstrung by Northwestern's academic requirements.

You can have a few bad years, if you're doing things the right way.

Not in this case.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:39 pm

First, I’ll wait for the school’s report after its “deeper” investigation. If it turns out to be true, Fitz is done unless he really didn’t know of the practice—which will be hard to prove and more difficult to believe. It’s possible this type of hazing goes all the way back to his playing days.
But again, through the years, we’ve seen charges levied against a few of our own coaches which turned out to be false or overstated, so I’ll wait.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:01 pm

Hazing is fucking weird. Doing weird, non-consensual sexual shit to new guys is some straight up psycho shit, and the fact that it is kinda common is extremely disturbing.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, DWags and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:45 am

Cameron wrote:Hazing is fucking weird. Doing weird, non-consensual sexual shit to new guys is some straight up psycho shit, and the fact that it is kinda common is extremely disturbing.
not that it was ever 'right' or acceptable in any way, the fact that this sort of thing happened, if true, in 2023 is even more f'd up.

I suspect my fellow old-timers here will agree that we all said and did stuff in, say, the 70's and 80's that we are pretty embarrassed by now. Chalk it up to a bunch of things, but in the modern day and age, it's absolutely unacceptable.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:55 pm

BLOWN OUT!!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:57 pm

[tw]1678536042935119874?t=wglkcUfRn5r9KbBxUrhCZQ&s=19[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:06 pm

Okay, so now tell me why any player who took part in this shouldn’t be booted from the team and charged with a sex crime? That’s the logical next step. They weren’t victims—they were the ones accused of this “tradition.”
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:23 pm

The Athletic reported the same about 15 minutes after Rittenburgs report.

Too bad for a guy who was Northwestern royalty for more than decade however he should have known or known better to be more diligent.

Given the $260M football building Northwestern has recently completed the new coach will have better facilities than any of his predecessors.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:24 pm

Sounds like Pat Fitzgerald got run. Karma is really a bitch.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:54 pm

I can't imagine they can keep the staff around.

Lovie Smith? Pat Shurmur?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:42 pm

Any of you guys that played varsity sport through high school or college, please tell me how the following makes any kind of sense. But Northwestern wants us to believe is that somehow Pat Fitzgerald knew what was going on, but all of the assistants had no idea. Anyone reading this that played a sport, tell me who is more likely to know what is going on in the locker room. If Fitzgerald knew he needs to be gone. I have no issue with that but to retain all these assistants? Call me paranoid but I think something weird is going on.

[tw]1678852394933792771?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:05 pm

DWags wrote:Any of you guys that played varsity sport through high school or college, please tell me how the following makes any kind of sense. But Northwestern wants us to believe is that somehow Pat Fitzgerald knew what was going on, but all of the assistants had no idea. Anyone reading this that played a sport, tell me who is more likely to know what is going on in the locker room. If Fitzgerald knew he needs to be gone. I have no issue with that but to retain all these assistants? Call me paranoid but I think something weird is going on.

[tw]1678852394933792771?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

My guess is the assistants knew. but damn this whole thing puts Northwestern football in a terrible spot. Gutting the staff on July 11th and trying to hire a new one is a tall task. Now there is talk that their board wants to re-evaluate building the new stadium.

NU football is fucked.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:38 pm

Maybe we can add a few of their players when they enter the portal.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:57 pm

Ex-Northwestern football players retain high-profile civil rights attorney after revealing hazing allegations

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ex-northwestern-football-players-retain-high-profile-civil-rights-attorney-after-revealing-hazing-allegations/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:50 am

More bad news from Evanston.

The current Associate HC reportedly witnessed some of the hazing that got Fitzgerald fired.  

Many more reports like this might push NU to seriously consider a self-imposed ‘23 season cancellation or play this season with an all interim staff.  

Right now recruiting must taking a hit every time another current coach’s “I didn’t know” explanation gets blow out of the water.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2023/07/20/northwestern-associate-head-coach-football-matt-macpherson-witnessed-hazing/70441175007/
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:00 am

I would not be opposed to be poaching mfrs on any players worth a damn. At least grab their kickers... bad kickers are a horrible was to ruin a season.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

DWags, Turtleneck, Nordic and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:14 pm

NigelUno wrote:Maybe we can add a few of their players when they enter the portal.

REPORT: Michigan State football to host Northwestern transfer 4-star LB Nigel Glover

https://spartanswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/25/report-michigan-state-football-to-host-northwestern-transfer-4-star-lb-nigel-glover/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:53 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Maybe we can add a few of their players when they enter the portal.

REPORT: Michigan State football to host Northwestern transfer 4-star LB Nigel Glover

https://spartanswire.usatoday.com/2023/07/25/report-michigan-state-football-to-host-northwestern-transfer-4-star-lb-nigel-glover/

Last I heard (this afternoon) he cancelled plans for a visit. I hope he’s changed his mind.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:23 pm

Remember when pat Fitzgerald got fired? Oh the good old days when big ten scandals were player hazing instead of jacking off on FaceTime and whatever this (waves hands in the direction of Ann Arbor) is
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 pm

I didn’t know that Fitzgerald was suing for $130 million.

[tw]1775285208272515565?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down