Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Free Speech Defensive for Public Speech

5 posters

Go down

The Free Speech Defensive for Public Speech Empty The Free Speech Defensive for Public Speech

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-08-05, 08:20

How far does, or should, Free Speech be allowed to go?

If someone says, with a possible likelihood of someone taking action, someone should hurt that fucker, in a Speech, should that be covered by Free Speech?

I would argue no, that the Free Speech Admendment was to allow discussion of political positions, and thus bodily threats should not be protected..

Furthermore, the argument of "the slippery slope" on not allowing these threats is pure hogwash. It is not necessary for public figures to issue threats in their speeches, and the threats can be clearly seen in court.

Indeed, this overly broad interpretation of "Free Speech" is damaging to a democracy, since it is well known that in a tolerant country there still cannot be a tolerance for intolerance. (Tolerance for intolerance is a logical contradiction)

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

The Free Speech Defensive for Public Speech Empty Re: The Free Speech Defensive for Public Speech

Post by DWags 2023-08-05, 08:58

Trumps trial will have nothing to do with free-speech. That fucker helped put in place fake electors and start a riot. I’m willing to bet Jack Smith has so many acts of treason. He can prove in court that they can scream free speech forever and it just won’t matter.

however, I’m pretty much all for free speech. Social media allows people to manipulate the stupid by using it. But in a free country, that’s nobody’s fault but the stupid.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

This Is The Way likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Free Speech Defensive for Public Speech Empty Re: The Free Speech Defensive for Public Speech

Post by kingstonlake 2023-08-05, 08:58

It’s all spelled out right here, Trapper.

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/educational-resources/about-educational-outreach/activity-resources/what-does
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-08-05, 09:04

kingstonlake wrote:It’s all spelled out right here, Trapper.

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/educational-resources/about-educational-outreach/activity-resources/what-does

Thanks kingstonlake, this will help in the discussions.

What I am proposing is that threats of bodily harm or of all felonious incited actions, either overt or covert, which are readily understood in context, in public speech, should be under one of the exceptions to free speech.

I am aware that to some this will sound odd. However as kingstonlake's link shows we already have limits on free speech.

To DWags point, there are limits on free speech on the internet and people have been tried and convicted on them.  The one I remember best is the lady in MA whose posts to her one time boyfriend was a factor in his suicide where she was convicted for that.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-08-05, 09:54

None of this is as complicated as the talking heads you watch that want to make it sound like it’s more murky than it is for nothing other than ratings sake.

Look, there are 3 independent things I’m legally allowed to do.

1) drive to Washington DC and park in front of congress then start walking toward the office buildings.
2) buy a crowbar
3) talk to my friends about how someone should put Dianne Feinstein out of her misery with a crowbar.

These are all legal in a vacuum. However, if I do 3, then I do 2, then I do 1, and if I am doing 1 with a crowbar in my hand, I have now done something illegal.

This is not something that is in doubt, no matter how much the people that are pandering for your views and clicks tell you it is.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-08-05, 11:13

Unless I have missed something, quite possible of course, public figures have more freedom to threaten harm covertly.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-08-05, 12:52

Trapper Gus wrote:Unless I have missed something, quite possible of course, public figures have more freedom to threaten harm covertly.

You’re not missing anything. You just have to have the balls to enforce the restrictions within the constitution.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-08-07, 13:39

The last week has showcased the dangerously irresponsible behavior of the two leading Republican candidates for president, Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis. Maybe you didn’t notice or skipped right over it. That would be understandable: Violence-filled rhetoric has become a numbingly regular feature of the GOP playbook.

https://america.substack.com/p/the-consequences-of-violent-rhetoric
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-08-07, 14:12

Wonder what trumpys think of this story?

Joking, they probably want him to serve life cause they racist.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down