Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gordie Howe International Bridge

+11
AvgMSUJoe
Trapper Gus
The Pantry
kingstonlake
Jake from State Farm
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
CaptainSlow33
MSU addict
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gordie Howe International Bridge - Page 2 Empty Re: Gordie Howe International Bridge

Post by Trapper Gus 4/6/2024, 5:54 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:Once the Gordy Howe Bridge is complete the Maroun family is going to start maintaining The Ambassador Bridge to more than the bare minimums.

Fun fact.  Warren Buffett and the late Charley Munger later regretted passing on the opportunity for  Berkshire Hathaway to become majority or sole owner The Ambassador Bridge when they decided to sell their 25% interest to Matty Maroun getting out of the “bridge business” in the late ‘70’s

With the new bridge in place they would be able to shut lanes down or shut the bridge down entirely to perform maintenance.

On a related note the Mackinaw Bridge is scheduled to undergo a major maintenance with the roadbed being stripped down all the way to the trusses.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Gordie Howe International Bridge - Page 2 Empty Re: Gordie Howe International Bridge

Post by Trapper Gus 4/22/2024, 1:45 pm

http://bridgestunnels.com/location/gordie-howe-international-bridge/

Some history leading up to the GH bridge from.a technical journal.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 4/22/2024, 2:18 pm

It really amazes me that those two scrawny-looking towers can support that deck (with the help of the cables). Sheeeit, I would bet D Wags' leg is stronger than one of those towers.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 4/22/2024, 2:32 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:It really amazes me that those two scrawny-looking towers can support that deck (with the help of the cables). Sheeeit, I would bet D Wags' leg is stronger than one of those towers.

There is far more to those towers than that which meets the eye.

They extend, below grade, all the way to bedrock, over 100 feet down, so they have the weight and leverage to hold them straight up & down.

They are hollow, with the inner box's being high grade steel, to which the cables attach.  The cables on on side of each tower are matched up with the cables on the other side of the same tower, thus the weight of the bridge on one side of each tower is balanced with the weight on the other side of the tower.  This is called cantilevered and is used in some form in many major bridge construction when suspended roadways are used. (It was a failure to maintain equal cantilever weight which caused the column failure during the construction of the Zilwalkee bridge.)

So like a giant tinkertoy the towers are maintained in place by the geometry of the entire bridge.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and Polydorus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 4/23/2024, 9:13 am

Was leaving Trader Joe's in Northville last night. Coming down the hill, I was surprised to notice that I could see the bridge. When I flew over it a couple months ago, it didn't look like it would be much bigger than the bridge in Toledo, but man. From a distance it looked like it towered over everything.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 4/23/2024, 9:58 am

CaptainSlow33 wrote:Was leaving Trader Joe's in Northville last night. Coming down the hill, I was surprised to notice that I could see the bridge. When I flew over it a couple months ago, it didn't look like it would be much bigger than the bridge in Toledo, but man. From a distance it looked like it towered over everything.

The towers are over 700 feet above grade, which means they are taller than most of the buildings downtown, which I think you can also see from Trader Joe's on a clear day.  Once they start lighting it up at night it should be clearly part of the skyline of Detroit & Windsor.

As noted above, it will be the largest bridge of its type in North America.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 4/23/2024, 11:20 am

This thread needs this. Still the best espn commercial

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry, tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 4/23/2024, 3:30 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:It really amazes me that those two scrawny-looking towers can support that deck (with the help of the cables). Sheeeit, I would bet D Wags' leg is stronger than one of those towers.

What amazes me is they can line the two ends up after coming from a significant distance. I’m so dumb I can barely connect my two index fingers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 4/23/2024, 8:49 pm

tGreenWay wrote:

What amazes me is they can line the two ends up after coming from a significant distance. I’m so dumb I can barely connect my two index fingers.

Surveyors and GPS can get it close enough to get it to line up with one or two smacks from a hammer, if that's even necessary.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2