Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next MSU football coach??

+23
MSU addict
InTenSity
CaptainSlow33
Cameron
Floyd Robertson
Motown Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
gomersbro
Trapper Gus
Nordic
MiamiSpartan
duffy munn
DWags
steveschneider
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
Pervis Muldoon
kingstonlake
Heat Miser
AvgMSUJoe
GRR Spartan
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
27 posters

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Next MSU football coach?? - Page 10 Empty Re: Next MSU football coach??

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-09, 19:21

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Kalen DeBoer makes $4.2m/yr at UW, the 44th highest paid coach in CFB. He’s def in line for a raise, whether it’s in Seattle or elsewhere.
I’d like to see deboer without penix the same way we got to see Tucker without kw but alas, that’s not how coaching searches work. He’d be fine but I have my reservations
He did fine before penix... but he also went out and got Penix when he needed him so, in the nil day and age, that's a good thing. Since he's "proven" I'd venture to guess UW rich guys will open the wallets and it would take top 5 money to get him looking.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-09, 19:24

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
I’d like to see deboer without penix the same way we got to see Tucker without kw but alas, that’s not how coaching searches work. He’d be fine but I have my reservations
He did fine before penix... but he also went out and got Penix when he needed him so, in the nil day and age, that's a good thing. Since he's "proven" I'd venture to guess UW rich guys will open the wallets and it would take top 5 money to get him looking.
You mean when he was the OC at Fresno state? I’m not saying I’d be against it to be clear just hey there’s a chance that he got that one guy that makes him look really good and he doesn’t give us an out by sexually harassing the sexual harassment lady
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-09, 19:34

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
You mean when he was the OC at Fresno state? I’m not saying I’d be against it to be clear just hey there’s a chance that he got that one guy that makes him look really good and he doesn’t give us an out by sexually harassing the sexual harassment lady
& Indiana was 8-5 when he was OC... I guess we will see, but winning leads to crootin. Dude's going to be fine.

Edit: oh wait, that was with Penix... yeah, I dunno.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-09, 22:40

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

He was the head coach at Fresno St. before Washington. He was the OC at Fresno but spent one year on the Indiana staff before going back to Fresno as head coach.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-10, 00:01

tGreenWay wrote:Kalen DeBoer makes $4.2m/yr at UW, the 44th highest paid coach in CFB. He’s def in line for a raise, whether it’s in Seattle or elsewhere.

I definitely considered that. It would be good if we had another couple of years to watch how he does once he’s cut off from using his Penix. Unfortunately, we don’t have that luxury. I do think it would be funny if we signed DeBoer and Germie Bernard was left behind.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-10, 02:08

Since we’re all speculating. What have urban Meyer or Dabo done without great QBs and recruiting hotbeds…..
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-11-10, 05:52

Are you guys telling me a coach needs good players to be a good coach? LOL!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-10, 06:54

kingstonlake wrote:Since we’re all speculating. What have urban Meyer or Dabo done without great QBs and recruiting hotbeds…..
Did better than lance ever did in the mac at bowling green then took Utah to bring undefeated with a fiesta bowl win

Be honest did you know he coached before florida when you said that or no
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2023-11-10, 08:21

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:Jedd Fisch to MSU?

[tw]1722692614451822935?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

I don’t think the answer to our problem is buying the U of A athletics program, DWags.

Ok, but hear me out...

We buy UA's athletic program with our billionaire sugar daddy money. Immediately we have double the athletes on our roster for every single sport. We use the combined rosters to build dream teams for each sport - we tell everyone else to get their ass to the portal. From August to early/mid October, the teams compete on the East Lansing campus. Once the weather starts getting cold, we shift all our games to our Arizona sites. Immediate crootin bump, with all the kids who would want to play in warm climate without actually living in Arizona. We also bring in the Arizona TV market for BTN.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

tGreenWay, Turtleneck and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2023-11-10, 08:26

GRR Spartan wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:A ton of the NFL assistants (& coaches) look super young now-a-days... where do they come from? Any of those guys on the lists?

Coaches in the NFL like to coach.  Their rosters are set with players under contract and the only times coaches may need to schmooze is with free agents.  The GM and player personnel people take care of the rest.

It takes a helluva lot more skill sets to be a college coach.  Now you need to schmooze players to sign, schmooze the best players to stay and have an adequate NIL funding mechanism in place to sign and retain players on your roster.

Here’s an interesting blurb about Dickert:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/wsu-coach-jake-dickert-cougars-not-even-competitive-in-some-aspects-of-nil/

I think this is accurate, and a big reason that with few exceptions, coaches who shift from one level to the other aren't always successful. Harbaugh has been successful in college, but his record slid backwards each year he was in the show. Saban was good enough in Miami to not immediately get fired. Pete Carroll has been the only college coach turned pro that has sustained his success that I can think of off the top of my head.

On the flip side, I thought for sure Illinois struck gold when they hired Lovie Smith. Dude got the Bears to a Super Bowl. He ended up failing and getting canned for many of the reasons you outlined. Unless it's someone who has a proved track record at the college level, I'm not horribly interested in anyone from the pros taking over.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-10, 08:45

Barry Switzer won the Super Bowl but he did it inheriting a team that had already won two of them. That’s also a long time ago now.

But yeah, they’re just different worlds. Different topics that need to be coached, different complexities that can be expected, different styles of player management, etc etc.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-10, 09:26

kingstonlake wrote:Since we’re all speculating. What have urban Meyer or Dabo done without great QBs and recruiting hotbeds…..
Did better than lance ever did in the mac at bowling green then took Utah to bring undefeated with a fiesta bowl win

Be honest. Did you know first team all American and three time pro bowler Alex Smith played at Utah in 2004 before you posted that? Razz
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-10, 13:13

kingstonlake wrote:

Be honest. Did you know first team all American and three time pro bowler Alex Smith played at Utah in 2004 before you posted that? Razz
I did in fact. What would Alex smith (who was also notably a mediocre quarterback on the nfl at best) have been without being coached by Meyer? Sometimes “having a quarterback” while other coaches don’t is not a coincidence. 

Look man I know backing down is not a thing message boarders do but this “lance leopold and Mateo Alvarez are just as good as urban Meyer if you just put them in better positions” is silly nonsense. It’s okay to note that one of the best coaches of all time is in fact better than the guys that have 500 overall records in their careers. It’s not a knock on those guys.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-10, 13:54

kingstonlake wrote:

I did in fact. What would Alex smith (who was also notably a mediocre quarterback on the nfl at best) have been without being coached by Meyer? Sometimes “having a quarterback” while other coaches don’t is not a coincidence. 

Look man I know backing down is not a thing message boarders do but this “lance leopold and Mateo Alvarez are just as good as urban Meyer if you just put them in better positions” is silly nonsense. It’s okay to note that one of the best coaches of all time is in fact better than the guys that have 500 overall records in their careers. It’s not a knock on those guys.

Im just speculating. I think Lance Leipold would be a really really really good coach if he were at Utah from 2003-2004, Florida 2005-2010, and OSU 2011-2018 Wink
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-11-10, 15:00

Poor Travis. He still thinks he is getting CUM.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-10, 15:13

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I don’t think the answer to our problem is buying the U of A athletics program, DWags.

Ok, but hear me out...

We buy UA's athletic program with our billionaire sugar daddy money. Immediately we have double the athletes on our roster for every single sport. We use the combined rosters to build dream teams for each sport - we tell everyone else to get their ass to the portal. From August to early/mid October, the teams compete on the East Lansing campus. Once the weather starts getting cold, we shift all our games to our Arizona sites. Immediate crootin bump, with all the kids who would want to play in warm climate without actually living in Arizona. We also bring in the Arizona TV market for BTN.

This is a well thought out, cogent argument, and it has no place on this board. Are you even a real Spartan fan? Where’s the hyperbole? The histrionics? The personal attacks?
Take this back to the drawing board and get yer shit outta control before pushing this idea, like a true Swiller would.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity and CaptainSlow33 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-11-10, 16:21

Nordic wrote:Poor Travis. He still thinks he is getting CUM.

Don’t we all? Especially if our wives are a Bit tipsy?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-11-10, 17:28

Don’t know how many times I have to say it but here we go again…Urban Meyers won’t be our coach. Time to move on.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

CaptainSlow33 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-11-10, 17:55

steveschneider wrote:Don’t know how many times I have to say it but here we go again…Urban Meyers won’t be our coach. Time to move on.

Too many times. Give it a rest.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-11-10, 18:16

Maybe we can hire Harbaugh Next MSU football coach?? - Page 10 2599972566
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-10, 19:28

Nordic wrote:Maybe we can hire Harbaugh Next MSU football coach?? - Page 10 2599972566

Go ahead, but please give me advance warning so I can spoon out my eyes and light M-80s in my ears.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-11, 00:22

Heard no traction with desired candidates so they are aggressively pursuing George O'Leary for the job.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-11, 01:26

Turtleneck wrote:Heard no traction with desired candidates so they are aggressively pursuing George O'Leary for the job.

If there’s really no traction then the obvious choice is Bobby Petrino.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-11, 07:52

I don’t, but that doesn’t make saying “oh the other candidates are just as good!” Not nonsense.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-11, 08:02

I don’t, but that doesn’t make saying “oh the other candidates are just as good!” Not nonsense.

What young coach has the kind of record that Urban had when he was young?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-11, 08:27

Trapper Gus wrote:

A bunch of them. But it can’t be denied his spread offense was crazy innovative for the time. Him, Rich Rod, Pertrino, Tiller. They were ahead of the curve, no doubt.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-11, 08:35

kingstonlake wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

A bunch of them. But it can’t be denied his spread offense was crazy innovative for the time. Him, Rich Rod, Pertrino, Tiller. They were ahead of the curve, no doubt.

Name names?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-11, 09:30

Trapper Gus wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Name names?

Did you know the Internet does more than take you to tSwill? You can do all sorts of stuff on the Internet.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-11, 09:43

So, Meyer as a first time HC at smaller schools went on 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, 12-0

Not seeing anyone with a similar record, but the internet isn't my friend.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-11, 13:30

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Heard no traction with desired candidates so they are aggressively pursuing George O'Leary for the job.

Go back a few pages. He was in the mix. Not sure what happened but it was being reported as a done deal. I think the O’Learly deal hinges on Bobby Ross agreeing to be DC.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2023-11-11, 13:43

I’m hearing Dan Hawkins named mentioned.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-11, 14:18

Trapper Gus wrote:So, Meyer as a first time HC at smaller schools went on 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, 12-0

He’s really good with all American QBs and pretty good without.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-11, 14:33

kingstonlake wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:So, Meyer as a first time HC at smaller schools went on 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, 12-0

He’s really good with all American QBs and pretty good without.
He creates all American quarterbacks. 

You get this right? You must get this. It’s impossible for you to not get this.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-11, 14:40

Lol, Travis. It’s gonna be ok. Deep breaths!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-11, 14:41

He creates them? In a lab? Travels back in time and impregnates women who will be their mother? How does he create them?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-11, 14:47

Turtleneck wrote:He creates them? In a lab? Travels back in time and impregnates women who will be their mother? How does he create them?

He shows them how to grip the ball, proper throwing technique, arm release angles, teaches them footwork, how to hit guys in stride, fade routes, slants, curls, crossing patterns etc. he’s widely known as the greatest QB coach to have ever lived. Duh. He learned these QB development skills as a defense back at the university of Cincinnati.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-11, 14:50

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Go back a few pages. He was in the mix. Not sure what happened but it was being reported as a done deal. I think the O’Learly deal hinges on Bobby Ross agreeing to be DC.

Petrino lost traction and crashed during the second interview.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Turtleneck and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-11-11, 15:15

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I also heard he was carrying a new resume in his briefcase. When it fell out it sure was prettier but maybe he’d have been better with the old one.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-11, 15:22

Turtleneck wrote:He creates them? In a lab? Travels back in time and impregnates women who will be their mother? How does he create them?
I’d imagine he coaches them.

I guess in a dreamworld where every coach is actually identical and none are better than others you’d have to think about the time travel angle, but in the real world it’s just being better at coaching.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-11, 15:40

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I also heard he was carrying a new resume in his briefcase. When it fell out it sure was prettier but maybe he’d have been better with the old one.

That’s what the doctors told me!

Next MSU football coach?? - Page 10 Img_5510
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next