Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches

+13
steveschneider
GRR Spartan
Pervis Muldoon
Cameron
duffy munn
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
Travis of the Cosmos
AvgMSUJoe
kingstonlake
MiamiSpartan
NigelUno
DWags
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches  Empty Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches

Post by DWags 2023-11-18, 21:56

We all want urban. Can we just stop talking about it? I really do think we’re going to get one of these four candidates.

I’m not asking which one you would rather have I’m asking you to give me how fired up you would be on a scale of 1 to 10 for each one of these names

Jon Smith OSU

Jed Fisch UA

Elko Duke

Candle Toledo

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches  Empty Re: Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches

Post by DWags 2023-11-18, 21:57

DWags

Smith. 7

Elko. 6

Candle 4

Fisch 9.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches  Empty Re: Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-18, 21:58

Jon Smith OSU 4

Jed Fisch UA 6

Elko Duke 3

Candle Toledo 2

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-18, 21:59

DWags wrote:DWags

Smith. 7

Elko. 6

Candle 4

Fisch 9.

Geezuz. Dial it back a bit. sunny
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-11-18, 22:04

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:DWags

Smith. 7

Elko. 6

Candle 4

Fisch 9.

Geezuz. Dial it back a bit. sunny

He seems to be Dantonio like. Maybe I’m dreaming. We’d never catch lightning in a bottle twice.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2023-11-18, 23:21

Smith 7.5

Elko 7.5

Candle 5

Fisch 3

I'd also put Leipold as 7.5.

All three of those that I put at 7.5, I think very highly of.  As coaches, I think they've all done jobs that are 9-10 out of 10.

But there's no guarantees going from one situation to another, so my enthusiasm level is still tempered.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-11-18, 23:32

Smith 8.5

Elko 7.5

Candle 4

Fisch 7.5

I think Dickert would be the best fit.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-19, 09:05

I'm sure whoever Haller picks will be fine... Or something.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-19, 09:21

DWags wrote:We all want urban. Can we just stop talking about it?   I really do think we’re going to get one of these four candidates.

I’m not asking which one you would rather have I’m asking you to give me how fired up you would be on a scale of 1 to 10 for each one of these names

Jon Smith OSU

Jed Fisch UA

Elko Duke

Candle Toledo

Do we at the swill ever talk about urban thus necessitating asking people to stop or are you talking to other social media sites? Because if there’s a secret thread where we talk about urban I would like to read it. Can’t stop calling this out wont stop sorry 

Anyway

Smith 5
Fisch 3
Elko 0
Candle (3)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-19, 09:33

Why is candel getting the business?

That feels "other sites" influenced.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-19, 10:00

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Why is candel getting the business?

He’s a 7th year mac coach that just now finally is having a good season. He’s not dantonio or *he who shall not be named*. 

He’s pj fleck. One good year in the Mac after years of middling results so some lower level big ten team comes calling. I think us better than Minnesota though, so I am actively against that. Leave him for Purdue or Indiana or whoever else ends up having a vacancy.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-11-19, 10:39

0s across the board
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-19, 10:48

DWags wrote:We all want urban. Can we just stop talking about it?   I really do think we’re going to get one of these four candidates.

Jon Smith OSU

Jed Fisch UA

Elko Duke

Candle Toledo

Smith 6

Fisch 6

Elko 4

Candle 5

Meyer 0
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-19, 10:52

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:0s across the board
shocking
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-11-19, 11:09

duffy munn wrote:
shocking

that you replied to this? I am not.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-19, 11:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
duffy munn wrote: shocking

You two are going to have to sit at different tables at tSwill Thanksgiving. I really hope Steve Peoples shows up this year. I miss that guy.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-11-19, 11:28

Same. Won't stop watching if any of them end up being the guy, but I'm not excited for any of them whatsoever.

Randy Alvarez or bust.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2023-11-19, 11:38

Mark Dantonio was the perfect football coach for MSU. He was terrific at managing his teams' focus and emotions before, during and after games. We'd routinely beat Michigan without suffering a letdown the following week.

He and his staff seemed to be great teachers, too. Watching NFL coaches and scouts break down Spartan pro prospects back then, you could hear how impressed they were at how well the players grasped advanced systems - especially the defensive backs.

The discipline was excellent, despite the media complaints. The players were flagged sometimes for playing through the whistle but that's what they were coached to do. When the team was tagged as dirty and Will Gholston was suspended by the conference after beating Taylor Lewan and Michigan in 2011, they responded by beating a juggernaut Badger team the next week - with no penalties. That's pure sorcery.

I haven't paid much attention to these candidates. How do they rate on a scale of Dantonio-ness?
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-19, 11:42

NigelUno wrote:Jon Smith OSU 4

Jed Fisch UA 6

Elko Duke 3

Candle Toledo 2

If Smith had knocked off Washington, I might have bumped him to a 7.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2023-11-19, 12:59

DWag's list +1

Don't think SoCal native Jonathon Smith may not go east of the Rockies

Jon Smith OSU 8 MSU might be competing TAMU/UCLA and/or USC

Jed Fisch UA 7 / $$ at AZ are true then TAMU/UCLA maybe UF if they fire

Elko Duke 4 TAMU where he was DC is reportedly interested

Candle Toledo 8 Has had success at Toledo MSU won't be only offer

Dickert WSU 8. WSU is hell for recruiting

Huff Marshall 7 having a tough season 21-15

Last two listed because it's been too quiet about both of them.

It's entertaining to watch the Urb's uber fans bad mouth Candle who's had two 9 win seasons, two 10 win seasons and his only losing season was the 2020 COVID year. Like MSU is too high up the food chain but other Big Ten schools aren't.

In 2023 MSU isn't the plumb job some MSU fans want to believe. It's a good B1G/Power Five job. Dantonio proved it could be done pre NIL/immeadiate transfer when many people acted like hiring him was a poor decision.

After the Mel Tucker fiasco, donor support / NIL funding is critical. I don't have a clue which candidates the major donor's might favor but I'm confident the loud All Hat No Cattle message board/sports talk don't have AD Haller's ear.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, AvgMSUJoe and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-11-19, 13:10

GRR Spartan wrote:DWag's list +1

Jon Smith OSU 8 MSU might be competing TAMU/UCLA and/or USC

Jed Fisch UA 7 / $$ at AZ are true then TAMU/UCLA maybe UF if they fire

Elko Duke 4 TAMU where he was DC is reportedly interested

Candle Toledo 8 Has had success at Toledo MSU won't be only offer

Dickert WSU 8. WSU is hell for recruiting

Huff Marshall 7 having a tough season 21-15

It's entertaining to watch the Urb's uber fans bad mouth Candle who's had two 9 win seasons, two 10 win seasons and his only losing season was the 2020 COVID year. Like MSU is too high up the food chain but other Big Ten schools aren't.

In 2023 MSU isn't the plumb job some MSU fans want to believe. It's a good B1G/Power Five job. Dantonio proved it could be done pre NIL/immeadiate transfer when many people acted like hiring him was a poor decision.

After the Mel Tucker fiasco, donor support / NIL funding is critical. I don't have a clue which candidates the major donor's might favor but I'm confident the loud All Hat No Cattle message board/sports talk don't have AD Haller's ear.

Spot on. The fan bases attitude towards Jason Candle is ridiculous. He’d come to msu feeling like he was just given the keys to a Porsche and had a major job promotion. If he stinks you fire him in a few years and move on. Be like the NFl hire young coaches hungry for the opportunity.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-11-19, 13:17

Also, I’ll add one Harlan Barnett. Classy dude and he’d probably improve and get better coordinators. Beat Penn State I’m all in.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-19, 14:05

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Why is candel getting the business?

He’s a 7th year mac coach that just now finally is having a good season. He’s not dantonio or *he who shall not be named*. 

He’s pj fleck. One good year in the Mac after years of middling results so some lower level big ten team comes calling. I think us better than Minnesota though, so I am actively against that. Leave him for Purdue or Indiana or whoever else ends up having a vacancy.
You been reading tob too much.

It's the Twitter of the Spart-o-sphere... just chocked full of idiots who have less influence then brains.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-19, 14:26

Turtleneck wrote:

You two are going to have to sit at different tables at tSwill Thanksgiving. I really hope Steve Peoples shows up this year. I miss that guy.
hey now OTPT makes the rules around here. Stay in your lane Turtleneck
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-19, 14:35

Turtleneck wrote:
Fuckin Steve Peoples = that uncle.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-19, 15:24

steveschneider wrote:Also, I’ll add one Harlan Barnett. Classy dude and he’d probably improve and get better coordinators. Beat Penn State I’m all in.

Hard no.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-19, 15:52

This. No enthusiasm for any of the names mentioned.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-11-19, 20:33

duffy munn wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

hey now OTPT makes the rules around here. Stay in your lane Turtleneck

Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches  502811600 Bro you are literally known around here and the rcmb as the fan police
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-19, 20:40

GRR Spartan wrote:DWag's list +1

Jon Smith OSU 8  MSU might be competing TAMU/UCLA and/or USC

Jed Fisch UA  7  / $$ at AZ are true then TAMU/UCLA maybe UF if they fire

Elko Duke  4  TAMU where he was DC is reportedly interested

Candle Toledo 8  Has had success at Toledo   MSU won't be only offer

Dickert WSU  8. WSU is hell for recruiting

Huff Marshall 7  having a tough season 21-15

It's entertaining to watch the Urb's uber fans bad mouth Candle who's had two 9 win seasons,  two 10 win seasons and his only losing season was the 2020 COVID year.  Like MSU is too high up the food chain but other Big Ten schools aren't.  

In 2023 MSU isn't the plumb job some MSU fans want to believe.  It's a good B1G/Power Five job.  Dantonio proved it could be done pre NIL/immeadiate transfer when many people acted like hiring him was a poor decision.

After the Mel Tucker fiasco,  donor support / NIL funding is critical.  I don't have a clue which candidates the major donor's might favor but I'm confident the loud All Hat No Cattle message board/sports talk don't have AD Haller's ear.

Sorry that 9-4 and 9-5 in the fuckin Mac doesn’t make my panties quiver with anticipation :(
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-19, 20:43

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

You been reading tob too much.

It's the Twitter of the Spart-o-sphere... just chocked full of idiots who have less influence then brains.
On the contrary, I am starting to suspect I might be the only poster here that doesn’t read the other board at all. Or at least exceedingly rarely. 

I just don’t think that the guy has done anything particularly impressive, is the current Mac flavor of the month after nearly a decade in the conference, so people are linking him to a job he has no business being linked to
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-11-19, 21:39

At this point, as long as it's not Urban Meyer, I'mokay with whoever it is.

I figure Haller et al. is better equipped than I am to determine who is the best fit.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2023-11-19, 21:40; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-19, 21:40

duffy munn wrote: hey now OTPT makes the rules around here. Stay in your lane Turtleneck

Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches  502811600 Bro you are literally known around here and the rcmb as the fan police

They all report to Bob Sak, OTPT. Sak is the Fan Police Commissioner. He wears his badge everywhere. Even when riding his bike to DeWitt.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-19, 21:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:At this point, as long as it's not Urban Meyer, I'mokay with whoever it is.

I figure Haller et al. is better equipped than I am to determine who is the best fit.

Well, he screwed up the hockey coach hire. And it looks like he totally dropped the ball on the women's basketball hire. And that dreadful women's soccer hire. Didn't he mess up the volleyball search, too? #FireComley
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-19, 21:48

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:At this point, as long as it's not Urban Meyer, I'mokay with whoever it is.

Well, he screwed up the hockey coach hire. And it looks like he totally dropped the ball on the women's basketball hire. And that dreadful women's soccer hire. Didn't he mess up the volleyball search, too? #FireComley
And he didn't fire Izzo. So +1 for that.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-19, 22:09

Turtleneck wrote:

A little early to judge the women's basketball hire.

The handling of that was messy (not saying a change wasn't needed).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-19, 22:58

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

This you?

NigelUno wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:Women put up 105 again. Damn. There is a lesson in all of this. I wanted a big splash hire and was disappointed, and now the team has started the season putting up 87, 99, 105 and 105.

[tw]1726328521960943651?s=46[/tw]

Slam Dunk hire.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-20, 08:28

Turtleneck wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

This you?

NigelUno wrote:

Slam Dunk hire.

Not a poll: give me your enthusiasm regarding each one of these coaches  B5acb7b819a1568fc9ba2deee6deb5e0
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-11-20, 09:48

Please don’t joke or speculate. Thank you.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-20, 10:08

Pervis Muldoon wrote:Mark Dantonio was the perfect football coach for MSU. He was terrific at managing his teams' focus and emotions before, during and after games. We'd routinely beat Michigan without suffering a letdown the following week.

He and his staff seemed to be great teachers, too. Watching NFL coaches and scouts break down Spartan pro prospects back then, you could hear how impressed they were at how well the players grasped advanced systems - especially the defensive backs.

The discipline was excellent, despite the media complaints. The players were flagged sometimes for playing through the whistle but that's what they were coached to do. When the team was tagged as dirty and Will Gholston was suspended by the conference after beating Taylor Lewan and Michigan in 2011, they responded by beating a juggernaut Badger team the next week - with no penalties. That's pure sorcery.

I haven't paid much attention to these candidates. How do they rate on a scale of Dantonio-ness?

I want someone with Dantonio, who copied it from Tom Landry, like behavior on the sidelines during the games.  Enough with these emotions on their sleeve types.

edit - the media pressure (the Blue Wall) at MSU makes a stoic demeaner, such as Dantonio's a huge asset. It drives the Blue Wall crazy.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2023-11-20, 10:15; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2023-11-20, 10:14

Personally, I don't want Urban. Not saying he isn't a great coach, but I don't want any coach that we are going to have to beg with our checkbooks to even pretend to be interested. I want any coach we are courting to have a mutual interest in MSU. I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that Urban has any interest in returning to coaching in general, let alone at MSU.

I would be high any of those coaches - they all seem like a significant improvement from Mel Tucker, so I'd be happy to see any of them announced. And you know what? Fuck it. I'm ready to say it: I'd be proud to see Harlon Barnett announced, too. He held this team together with Scotch tape and broken rubber bands together, and they have managed to improve bit by bit each week. Give him a solid staff and a year to build his culture, and I think he could build a strong program.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

AvgMSUJoe and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next