Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Im a bit uneasy about this ncaa basketball/football playoff change.

+4
Zurn
tGreenWay
y2kMgrad
AvgMSUJoe
8 posters

Go down

Im a bit uneasy about this ncaa basketball/football playoff change.  Empty Im a bit uneasy about this ncaa basketball/football playoff change.

Post by DWags 2024-02-13, 18:01

I’m really happy that both my daughters were able to get through with the old NCAA basketball format, they were both able to go to Minneapolis. One of them on the spirit squad.

I think if you mess with a good thing too much, it’s just not a good thing.

But I remember the 48 team playoff and I don’t think I was that opposed to moving it to 64 I also know the 68 team playoff benefited Michigan State one year.

I’m probably old man yelling at clouds

[tw]1757446725130760670?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Im a bit uneasy about this ncaa basketball/football playoff change.  Empty Re: Im a bit uneasy about this ncaa basketball/football playoff change.

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-13, 18:18

We can only hope, if fans hate whatever change is coming, the NCAA caves and changes back. The CBB tournament is damn near perfect the way it is.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Im a bit uneasy about this ncaa basketball/football playoff change.  Empty Re: Im a bit uneasy about this ncaa basketball/football playoff change.

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-13, 19:11

tGreenWay wrote:We can only hope, if fans hate whatever change is coming, the NCAA caves and changes back. The CBB tournament is damn near perfect the way it is.
the only way it would be better is to include more...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2024-02-13, 23:56

They should not mess with the NCAA Tournament.

But they probably will anyway, and I'll probably still watch.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Zurn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-14, 02:35

y2kMgrad wrote:They should not mess with the NCAA Tournament.

But they probably will anyway, and I'll probably still watch.

Sweet baby cheeses. We thought you wuz dead.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

y2kMgrad and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-02-14, 08:14

College sports is being ruined before our very eyes.

I'm all for paying players but the current NIL and portal mess is not sustainable IMO. University presidents and boards could have and should have fixed this proactively.

Next we have conference consolidations which is ruining the once unique regional aspect of college sports.

The coup de grace will be messing with the NCAA basketball tournament which almost universally people would say is the best set up going.

All in the name of $$$, but for what? So a college coach can make $10 million a year instead of $ 5 million and each player can have a locker with ambient lighting in his school colors?
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-14, 08:29

Zurn wrote:College sports is being ruined before our very eyes.

I'm all for paying players but the current NIL and portal mess is not sustainable IMO.  University presidents and boards could have and should have fixed this proactively.  

Next we have conference consolidations which is ruining the once unique regional aspect of college sports.

The coup de grace will be messing with the NCAA basketball tournament which almost universally people would say is the best set up going.

All in the name of $$$, but for what?   So a college coach can make $10 million a year instead of $ 5 million and each player can have a locker with ambient lighting in his school colors?

And we all thought you believed in capitalism, well what do we know?

FTR I am all in on the changes to college sports. It's about time to stop pretending we are in 1930.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-14, 08:40

If you add another weekend, you get the Tournament to 256 (without byes). That kind of devalues the regular season. A 1 seed playing a 64 seed seems silly.

I could see them expanding the play-in games. You could make Seeds 13-16 have play in games vs. small conference opponents, and 9-12 have play in games vs. big conference opponents. That would add 32 teams, and still give byes to the 1-8 seeds.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-14, 09:01

NigelUno wrote:If you add another weekend, you get the Tournament to 256 (without byes).  That kind of devalues the regular season.  A 1 seed playing a 64 seed seems silly.  

I could see them expanding the play-in games.  You could make Seeds 13-16 have play in games vs. small conference opponents, and 9-12 have play in games vs. big conference opponents.  That would add 32 teams, and still give byes to the 1-8 seeds.  

That would make it like the Indiana high school tournament in the 1950's.  Everyone plays. That might be sort of fun, if all the schools can afford to travel.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-02-14, 09:08

I am actually in favor of a double elimination tournament. You gotta be better than hot from 3 one day to get the Spartans eliminated.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-14, 09:09

Rick Saunders wrote:I am actually in favor of a double elimination tournament. You gotta be better than hot from 3 one day to get the Spartans eliminated.

That too. Every college team plays, double elimination.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-14, 09:11

NigelUno wrote:If you add another weekend, you get the Tournament to 256 (without byes). That kind of devalues the regular season. A 1 seed playing a 64 seed seems silly.

I could see them expanding the play-in games. You could make Seeds 13-16 have play in games vs. small conference opponents, and 9-12 have play in games vs. big conference opponents. That would add 32 teams, and still give byes to the 1-8 seeds.

I like this idea. But I hate it. Just stop expanding. However, this is absolutely being driven by money and it will keep on expanding because it’s being driven by money. Not tickets being sold at the venues but television

So you have a great idea, and I hope if they expand they use your idea I just hate the fact that we’re gonna keep on expanding this bullshit
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-14, 09:16

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:If you add another weekend, you get the Tournament to 256 (without byes). That kind of devalues the regular season. A 1 seed playing a 64 seed seems silly.

I like this idea. But I hate it. Just stop expanding. However, this is absolutely being driven by money and it will keep on expanding because it’s being driven by money. Not tickets being sold at the venues but television

So you have a great idea, and I hope if they expand they use your idea I just hate the fact that we’re gonna keep on expanding this bullshit

The idea being to create more dollars, start with every team playing but yes, a two-tiered event, where the schools with the worst ratings play each other first to get into the field of 64, double elimination added to both tiers.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-14, 09:18

Trapper Gus wrote:
NigelUno wrote:If you add another weekend, you get the Tournament to 256 (without byes).  That kind of devalues the regular season.  A 1 seed playing a 64 seed seems silly.  

I could see them expanding the play-in games.  You could make Seeds 13-16 have play in games vs. small conference opponents, and 9-12 have play in games vs. big conference opponents.  That would add 32 teams, and still give byes to the 1-8 seeds.  

That would make it like the Indiana high school tournament in the 1950's.  Everyone plays. That might be sort of fun, if all the schools can afford to travel.

They could just roll conference tournaments into the NCAA Tournament.

For example, give the ASUN (conference) 2 spots in a 96 team bracket...and the "bracket" expands to include the 12 teams to get to those 2 spots (not that dissimilar to what happens now with automatic qualifiers).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-14, 09:27

NigelUno wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

They could just roll conference tournaments into the NCAA Tournament.

For example, give the ASUN (conference) 2 spots in a 96 team bracket...and the "bracket" expands to include the 12 teams to get to those 2 spots (not that dissimilar to what happens now with automatic qualifiers).

I'm pulling for every college team, even West Liberty WV, to be included, not sure all have conference tournaments.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down