Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Booker/Green/Tillman.

5 posters

Go down

Booker/Green/Tillman.   Empty Booker/Green/Tillman.

Post by DWags 2024-02-24, 15:46

From the Freep.   I can’t remember complaining about Tillman or Day Day not getting minutes and I know it absolutely has to do with recency bias.   I just remember both of them as being bad ass  

Anyway.

In early February 2009, Green went from playing 8 minutes in his first 20 games as a Spartan to averaging 15 minutes a game over the final 17 games and helped guide MSU to the national championship game.

Green averaged 5.5 points and 4.4 rebounds and did not play fewer than 10 minutes down the stretch that season, after posting 1.9 points and 2.4 rebounds and getting double-digit minutes in only five of the Spartans' first 20 games.

Over MSU's final six games in February and March 2018, Tillman went from averaging 8 minutes over the first 29 games to getting 14 minutes a game. He averaged 4.5 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in that finishing run that included the final two games of the regular season, two Big Ten tournament games and two NCAA games

“I was on the phone with Xavier (Booker) two days ago, and there's a couple of guys I want him to talk to, because that's all part of it. Both Xavier (Tillman) and Draymond were almost identical. They play very few minutes during the year, and then at the end of the year, they started getting better. And they started getting better, because they figured it out.

Unlike both Green and Tillman, who lost weight and improved their strength and stamina during their first season, Booker’s physical limitation was with his 215-pound frame he arrived at MSU with over the summer. Gradually he said, through a combination of improved eating habits and weight room work with strength and conditioning coach Lorenzo Guess, Booker said he is now up to 236 pounds as of this week.

While it’s been a running request from fans for Booker to get more playing time, he admits his development at times has been slow.

“I feel like that also just comes with time and more experience playing the game,” he said. “Obviously, a month ago, a few months ago, I probably wouldn't be doing some of the things I'm doing now. It just comes with time and experience — learning the game, learning where to be, learning where to be in the right spots on defense and offense, too.”

Particularly, Booker pointed to difficulties he had in learning MSU’s ball-screen defense as one area where he has made a significant improvement that has built some of the trust needed for an expanded role.

“That definitely takes some time,” he said. “That probably took me a lot of time at the beginning. because obviously I didn't really ever do anything like that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Pervis Muldoon and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Booker/Green/Tillman.   Empty Re: Booker/Green/Tillman.

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-24, 17:41

OK. We play one of the worst teams in the league tomorrow. I don’t think this is brought up unless there are plans to play Book around 14+ minutes. So, he has to play in the 2nd half. And he’s either taking some of Mady’s diminishing minutes, or giving Hall more of a break.

I hope he plays more.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2024-02-24, 18:57

I don't think there was a lot of complaining about Green and Tillman not getting enough minutes because they were three-star players. Fans love cruitin stars, and that's the main reason there's a clamor to get Booker in the games.

But I do remember Green being being a rare case of a freshman getting a lot more playing time during the most crucial games. And when Clark Kellogg called him the Dancing Bear, fans started getting on the Draymond bandwagon. With Tillman, it was a disappointment to many fans that he was taking minutes from four-star Nick Ward.

The more I think about things like this, the more I think sports fans are stupid.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

duffy munn, DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-24, 20:10

Similar things happened with Lorbeck
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2024-02-24, 21:11

Pervis Muldoon wrote:I don't think there was a lot of complaining about Green and Tillman not getting enough minutes because they were three-star players. Fans love cruitin stars, and that's the main reason there's a clamor to get Booker in the games.

But I do remember Green being being a rare case of a freshman getting a lot more playing time during the most crucial games. And when Clark Kellogg called him the Dancing Bear, fans started getting on the Draymond bandwagon. With Tillman, it was a disappointment to many fans that he was taking minutes from four-star Nick Ward.

The more I think about things like this, the more I think sports fans are stupid.

Green and Tillman weren't losing minutes to guys that couldn't score either
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-24, 21:18

I think Draymond seriously thought about transferring at one point.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2024-02-25, 17:50

aualum06 wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:I don't think there was a lot of complaining about Green and Tillman not getting enough minutes because they were three-star players. Fans love cruitin stars, and that's the main reason there's a clamor to get Booker in the games.

Green and Tillman weren't losing minutes to guys that couldn't score either

Not entirely true. Marquise Gray and Delvon Roe weren't big scorers, and they were starting ahead of Green. Even Donger played more than Draymond in some preseason games. Goins was getting some minutes ahead of Tillman for a while, though Tillman's main competition was Ward, who was a legitimate scorer.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down