Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods

+12
InTenSity
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
MiamiSpartan
Cameron
The Pantry
GRR Spartan
Trapper Gus
DWags
duffy munn
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods Empty Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-27, 10:19

Had to figure it was bound to happen eventually. Glad I rarely eat at FF places.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/27/food/wendys-test-surge-pricing/index.html
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods Empty Re: Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods

Post by DWags 2024-02-27, 10:31

Yeah, I’m not sure about this one.

I’ve seen two gas stations across the street from each other  one gas station is five cents a gallon cheaper and people will wait in line for 20 minutes to get that gas rather than go across the street and fill up the car for gas that cost five cents more gallon   That’s a total savings of a dollar to stand in line for 20 minutes  

When you see a Wendy’s restaurant if you look across the street, there is a McDonald’s and a Burger King within a block  

Unless they  all go to surge pricing, I’m not sure it’s gonna be a great thing for Wendy s
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods Empty Re: Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-27, 10:35

Yeah, this concept is unsmart in fast food.

Not that I really care much. I think the last FF I had was in May 2018.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-27, 10:37

I would be shocked if that gets implemented.

If it does, someone is going to get fired.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-27, 10:41

NigelUno wrote:I would be shocked if that gets implemented.

Sounds like AI is going to be involved. You and I might be in the same drive through line, I might be two cars behind you and pay 50 cents more for a double than you did.

At least that’s my understanding.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-27, 10:45

Agree w/all three of you. Seems like a $20m gamble with long odds. Again, I visit FF places only very rarely, but I’d be put off by a biz charging more for food at a time when they know most people have been trained to eat. I don’t have the same negative reaction to surge pricing for athletic events or hotels at high season, but food seems way different. It’s like when some businesses gouge-price for gas and generators after a disaster—it’s unseemly, or, since we’re discussing food—it’s distasteful.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2024-02-27, 10:46; edited 2 times in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-27, 10:45

DWags wrote:

Sounds like AI is going to be involved. You and I might be in the same drive through line, I might be two cars behind you and pay 50 cents more for a double than you did.

How many people go to a FF place when they cannot trust the pricing minute to minute.

I guess they want to eliminate people making less money from their customer base.

I also know they will be getting more refusals of accepting the product both at the drive thru & the counter, causing more wasted product.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-27, 10:48

DWags wrote:

If my burger is a dollar cheaper, then I’m sending you a text that says Neener Neener as I drive away.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-27, 10:56

DWags wrote:

The end is near Dwags
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-27, 11:02

But apps and digital menus can easily update prices on the fly, giving fast food chains an easier to way to implement dynamic pricing. Wendy’s expects digital order sales to reach $2 billion this year and is spending $15 million to upgrade its app.

McDonald’s has also dabbled with dynamic pricing and new order-suggestion capabilities at some of its upgraded drive-thrus and on its app. However, the varied and inconsistent prices at its franchises have ignited outrage recently for affecting the affordability of its food.

Surge pricing could be a “turning point” in the industry, according to Jonathan Maze, editor-in-chief of trade publication Restaurant Business. “If Wendy’s idea works, it could get others to do something similar, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see another chain or two test the idea themselves, given what Wendy’s is doing.

Maze adds that there’s risk, especially in light of the fluctuating prices of fast food. “The idea that a restaurant chain would potentially raise prices during busy times of day, even if consumers think they’re raising prices, then it could lead to a backlash,” he told CNN. “They’ll have to tread carefully. This is why we haven’t seen a lot of it.”

How long before there are apps which give people the option of going to the FF place with the lowest prices?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-27, 11:02

DWags wrote:

People aren't stupid. They're going to notice price fluctuations and just go somewhere else.

(Although I somehow ordered 3 pizzas instead of 1 the other day, and didn't even look at the price.)

You don't charge more when you're busy. You figure out when you're slow and use incentives to drive business. I think Sonic does it. Happy Hour for their shakes or slushies or whatever they do. Like 3-5 every day. That way they hit the after school market, and hope that people order food.

People already think they get screwed in the drive thru. If they know they might get screwed with jacked up prices, they'll just go elsewhere.

This has gotta be one of those "marketing" ideas that gets released to "test", and then the company immediately backtracks. And maybe lowers prices, or offers more value meals.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-27, 11:09

Will they do that with beer at ball parks.?

1st inning/quarter $10
2nd $13

Late innings and quarters $20?

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-27, 11:15

DWags wrote:Will they do that with beer at ball parks.?

1st inning/quarter $10
2nd $13

Late innings and quarters $20?

How much when Tayor Swift is in the ball park?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-02-27, 11:17

Almost 25 years ago Coca Cola rolled out variable pricing machines that adjusted price to the outdoor temperature in AZ, CA, FL, TX test markets.

Profitability never appeared. What Coke did learn is they could raise pricing across the board for 12 oz cans, 16 oz and 20 oz bottles sold in machines, convience stores along with 6/8/12 packs in grocery stores. People don’t hesitate to buy a $2.00-$2.50 20oz bottle from Speedway.

I suspect Wendy’s will try it and in the end the new technology of their drive thru will be used for specials but they, along with their competitors will gradually raise prices more often.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-27, 11:22

Trapper Gus wrote:
But apps and digital menus can easily update prices on the fly, giving fast food chains an easier to way to implement dynamic pricing. Wendy’s expects digital order sales to reach $2 billion this year and is spending $15 million to upgrade its app.

McDonald’s has also dabbled with dynamic pricing and new order-suggestion capabilities at some of its upgraded drive-thrus and on its app. However, the varied and inconsistent prices at its franchises have ignited outrage recently for affecting the affordability of its food.

Surge pricing could be a “turning point” in the industry, according to Jonathan Maze, editor-in-chief of trade publication Restaurant Business. “If Wendy’s idea works, it could get others to do something similar, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see another chain or two test the idea themselves, given what Wendy’s is doing.

Maze adds that there’s risk, especially in light of the fluctuating prices of fast food. “The idea that a restaurant chain would potentially raise prices during busy times of day, even if consumers think they’re raising prices, then it could lead to a backlash,” he told CNN. “They’ll have to tread carefully. This is why we haven’t seen a lot of it.”

How long before there are apps which give people the option of going to the FF place with the lowest prices?

Sounds like you have your next project.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2024-02-27, 11:52

Might cause increased use of their app for ordering...being able to see the current prices.

Used the MickyD app this morning:

$1.84 for 2 scrambled eggs
$1.63 for 2 strips of bacon
$3.33 for a large iced coffee
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-02-27, 12:05

I would never eat at Wendy's again if they did this. I already very rarely do, just the occasional spicy chicken. My first job out of high school was at a Wendy's, mostly flipping burgers. Haven't enjoyed the square patty experience nearly as much since then.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-27, 12:07

5'10"
172 lbs
32X32
RHR = 48 bpm
BP = 112/78 mmHg
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-27, 12:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:5'10"
172 lbs
32X32
RHR = 48 bpms
BP = 112/78 mmHg

You seem in much better health than the last time you posted your vitals.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

The Pantry, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2024-02-27, 12:43

Focusing on Wendy's misses the larger point. Fine, don't eat there. But what happens when other places do it? Not just fast food, but sit down restaurants. And grocery stores. And your streaming services start charging more when more people are streaming.

It's just corporate greed. Is Wendy's going to pay their workers more per hour during surges? Pay their vendors more for food that they sell during surges? Pay the electric company more per watt during busier times? Fuck no, they won't. This is only to benefits the executives that get bonuses and the shareholders.

Coming soon to every business near you, if the masses don't outright reject this at every turn.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-27, 12:44

Floyd Robertson wrote:
172 lbs
32X32
RHR = 48 bpms
BP = 112/78 mmHg

You seem in much better health than the last time you posted your vitals.
Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-27, 12:54

Nevermind
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-02-27, 13:58

I’m gonna start haggling if this is how they’re going to be.

“I see that you’re pricing these nuggies at $3.25. I’ll give you 2.37 right now, out the door.” See how Dave likes that.

58x29
517 lbs
4’6
Blood pressure could turn carbon into a Diamond
Resting heart rate is the same as an athlete in the middle of competition
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay, DWags, Pervis Muldoon and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-27, 14:09

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I’m gonna start haggling if this is how they’re going to be.

“I see that you’re pricing these nuggies at $3.25. I’ll give you 2.37 right now, out the door.” See how Dave likes that.

58x29
517 lbs
4’6
Blood pressure could turn carbon into a Diamond
Resting heart rate is the same as an athlete in the middle of competition

Lemme know if haggling works. I might try trading. ‘This is a 2016 MSU football Spring Game poster and it’s yours for a medium Frosty.’
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2024-02-27, 14:48

I go to McDonalds way too much. Not really for me, moreso for the kids. More specifically for Kyle, the tough thing is that there is a McDonalds every couple of miles, so if he see's it a lot of times he'll point and pout. Whatever. The McDonalds down the street from my house charges almost double what another one a few miles away charges. My fight back, is that I'll go to the other one that is further away, but then if I go to the one near my house, I use the app to get and use the points to get him nuggets. This way I don't have to pay their outrageous prices. It is getting like this every where. I think if people paid attention to what they were paying, it would help combat inflation. Another example is Publix vs Target. Milk at Publix is $4.95 at Target I think it is $3.49 or maybe even $2.99. A 12 pack of mini coke or pepsi at Publix is $7.99 while at Target it is $4.99.
To Miami's comment, in a way there is surge pricing on produce, as that is just the way the markets work. Although with what they use, they probably have them locked in to really cheap contracts that are just above cost to the grower. If there is a shortage though, they will have to pay extra to get what they need.
I haven't eaten at a Wendy's in years, last time I looked they were fairly expensive and that is part of the other issue. They get too close to sit down prices and people will probably choose that, unless it is a time thing.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-02-27, 14:51

172 lbs
32X32
RHR = 48 bpm
BP = 112/78 mmHg

1.82 m
70.3 kg
32x34
RHR = 64 bpm
BP = 115/75 Torr

Still, we're all getting a little long in the tooth here. Hot and juicy just seems like it's worth a little more.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2024-02-27, 15:06

172 lbs
32X32
RHR = 48 bpm
BP = 112/78 mmHg

You post taller than that.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

tGreenWay, duffy munn, DWags and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-27, 15:13

InTenSity wrote:I go to McDonalds way too much. Not really for me, moreso for the kids. More specifically for Kyle, the tough thing is that there is a McDonalds every couple of miles, so if he see's it a lot of times he'll point and pout. Whatever. The McDonalds down the street from my house charges almost double what another one a few miles away charges. My fight back, is that I'll go to the other one that is further away, but then if I go to the one near my house, I use the app to get and use the points to get him nuggets. This way I don't have to pay their outrageous prices. It is getting like this every where. I think if people paid attention to what they were paying, it would help combat inflation. Another example is Publix vs Target. Milk at Publix is $4.95 at Target I think it is $3.49 or maybe even $2.99. A 12 pack of mini coke or pepsi at Publix is $7.99 while at Target it is $4.99.
To Miami's comment, in a way there is surge pricing on produce, as that is just the way the markets work. Although with what they use, they probably have them locked in to really cheap contracts that are just above cost to the grower. If there is a shortage though, they will have to pay extra to get what they need.
I haven't eaten at a Wendy's in years, last time I looked they were fairly expensive and that is part of the other issue. They get too close to sit down prices and people will probably choose that, unless it is a time thing.

Publix milk is always expensive. Kroger is cheaper. Publix is just easier to shop.

Publix generally runs Buy 2, Get 2 on Coke products in Atlanta (or at least Buy 2, Get 1).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-27, 16:19

InTenSity wrote:I go to McDonalds way too much. Not really for me, moreso for the kids. More specifically for Kyle, the tough thing is that there is a McDonalds every couple of miles, so if he see's it a lot of times he'll point and pout. Whatever. The McDonalds down the street from my house charges almost double what another one a few miles away charges. My fight back, is that I'll go to the other one that is further away, but then if I go to the one near my house, I use the app to get and use the points to get him nuggets. This way I don't have to pay their outrageous prices. It is getting like this every where. I think if people paid attention to what they were paying, it would help combat inflation. Another example is Publix vs Target. Milk at Publix is $4.95 at Target I think it is $3.49 or maybe even $2.99. A 12 pack of mini coke or pepsi at Publix is $7.99 while at Target it is $4.99.

Just a comment from out on the farms. Corporations such as McDonald's buy the crop at a set price per bushel before it is in the ground and have contractual conditions for how it is grown.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-27, 16:43

Rick Saunders wrote:
172 lbs
32X32
RHR = 48 bpm
BP = 112/78 mmHg

1.82 m
70.3 kg
32x34
RHR = 64 bpm
BP = 115/75 Torr

Still, we're all getting a little long in the tooth here. Hot and juicy just seems like it's worth a little more.

I prefer to think of myself as going to seed.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2024-02-27, 19:51

Disney has the same thing going. It'll cost more on the busier days of the year.

Walt Disney World has raised ticket prices for 2025
For example, some late-August weekday tickets at Disney’s Animal Kingdom have gone from $109 for 2024 tickets to $119 for 2025.

Other single-day tickets for different parks during different periods are also showing increases over many 2024 prices.

For example, on a Saturday in late April when demand is high, Animal Kingdom is $169 in 2025, up from $164 in 2024.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-28, 06:44

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
172 lbs
32X32
RHR = 48 bpm
BP = 112/78 mmHg

who wants to tell Izzo that I have 4 years of eligibility left?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-28, 07:35

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

who wants to tell Izzo that I have 4 years of eligibility left?

Not it. I’d prefer him to like me whenever we meet.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2024-02-28, 08:56

Just FYI, Sedanos has it for 3.49 and often on sale for 2.99, which is a lot closer than Target. Of course, no one working there speaks English, but they have self checkout (with an English option), so you can get in and out without needing a Rosetta Stone class.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-28, 09:24

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Just FYI, Sedanos has it for 3.49 and often on sale for 2.99, which is a lot closer than Target. Of course, no one working there speaks English, but they have self checkout (with an English option), so you can get in and out without needing a Rosetta Stone class.

I always switch my self-checkout language to Spanish to mess with people nearby.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-28, 10:36

So Wendy’s now says everybody misunderstood their intentions:

https://qz.com/wendys-surge-pricing-burgers-uber-dynamic-pricing-1851292583
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-28, 10:40

tGreenWay wrote:
So Wendy’s now says everybody misunderstood their intentions:

https://qz.com/wendys-surge-pricing-burgers-uber-dynamic-pricing-1851292583

What they really mean to say is "hell yes we were going to do this but then there was all this public backlash, so now we're not going to to do it."
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, MiamiSpartan and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-02-28, 11:04

According the Kellog's CEO, the answer is to all this surge pricing is let them eat cereal for dinner.

Wendy’s is moving to an Uber-type surge-pricing model, charging more for busy periods 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-02-28, 11:30

Lol

[tw]1762849962637869457[/tw]
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry, tGreenWay, DWags and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-02-28, 11:31

Floyd Robertson wrote:According the Kellog's CEO, the answer is to all this surge pricing is let them eat cereal for dinner.

CNBC host Carl Quintanilla asked Pilnick if encouraging weary customers to eat cereal for dinner could “land the wrong way.”

Pilnick thought the opposite.

“In fact, it’s landing really well right now,” Pilnick said.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next