Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spartan Nation NIL...

+10
MSU addict
AvgMSUJoe
Zurn
gomersbro
CaptainSlow33
tGreenWay
NigelUno
duffy munn
Robert J Sakimano
Heat Miser
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spartan Nation NIL... Empty Spartan Nation NIL...

Post by Heat Miser 2024-03-18, 17:43

I suppose this is why the bag men were dropping out of the other NIL orgs last year.

Spartan Nation NIL

Watch Tom Izzo, Robyn Fralick, Jonathan Smith, Leah Johnson, Alan Haller, Steve Smith and Kirk Gibson introduce Spartan Nation NIL
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Spartan Nation NIL... Empty Re: Spartan Nation NIL...

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-18, 18:42

Video is well done, but the whole concept still makes me a little nauseous.

I realize a) I'm old, b) it's the new normal and c) it's what it's gonna take to produce winning programs, but I don't have to like it.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, duffy munn, Trapper Gus, MSU addict and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-03-18, 18:57

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Video is well done, but the whole concept still makes me a little nauseous.

I realize a) I'm old, b) it's the new normal and c) it's what it's gonna take to produce winning programs, but I don't have to like it.

The mere thought of fans directly paying college athletes makes me sick to Bob. Tickets to live events, concessions, tailgating fees, donations etc should be more than enough. A billion in TV money which the fans already pay for ( hi fucking peacock) and they want more. Share the fucking revenue.

Systems sucks.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, tGreenWay, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-03-18, 19:09

I wonder what will happen to non-revenue sports if big schools break away from the NCAA for football (and you don't have football revenue to support non-revenue sports).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-03-18, 19:10

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Video is well done, but the whole concept still makes me a little nauseous.

The mere thought of fans directly paying college athletes makes me sick to Bob. Tickets to live events, concessions, tailgating fees, donations etc should be more than enough. A billion in TV money which the fans already pay for ( hi fucking peacock) and they want more. Share the fucking revenue.

Systems sucks.

Came to post this. It shouldn’t be on fans to be compensate these athletes (not using the term student-athlete anymore). There’s billions being made, including the ncaa itself.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Robert J Sakimano, duffy munn, Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-03-19, 09:47

I got excited when I saw the title, because I thought Hondo was launching an NIL. I guess this is fine, too.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-19, 12:44

CaptainSlow33 wrote:I got excited when I saw the title, because I thought Hondo was launching an NIL. I guess this is fine, too.
Hondo is working to put his name, image and likeness on various buffets across the mid-Michigan area.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2024-03-19, 13:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:I got excited when I saw the title, because I thought Hondo was launching an NIL. I guess this is fine, too.
Hondo is working to put his name, image and likeness on various buffets across the mid-Michigan area.

His ass print has ruined the seating in a number of the aforementioned establishments.

This was one case of addition by subtraction when he left Michigan.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-03-19, 13:46

gomersbro wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

His ass print has ruined the seating in a number of the aforementioned establishments.

Dude got married, had another kid, and became a pastor of a Holy Ghost Tabernacle and Oil Change when he left. Who knew that after all this time, it was ultimately us holding him back? Looks like it worked out well for all of us. But I feel like we still got the better end.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-19, 13:52

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
gomersbro wrote:

Dude got married, had another kid, and became a pastor of a Holy Ghost Tabernacle and Oil Change when he left. Who knew that after all this time, it was ultimately us holding him back? Looks like it worked out well for all of us. But I feel like we still got the better end.
Spartan Nation NIL... 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-03-19, 14:26

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
gomersbro wrote:

Got married and had a kid? I thought he was already married with multiple kids. Geez, you think you know a guy you’ve never met, spoken with, and had no respect for.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Robert J Sakimano and gomersbro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-03-19, 15:44

The whole thing (NIL, portal, the coming ruination of CFB and the NCAAT) is such a huge failure on the part of university boards and presidents and NCAA. They should have been proactive in developing a system of paying players just like coaches from athletic and TV money and part of that would have been some reasonable transfer rules rather than the chaos we have now.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-03-19, 15:44

tGreenWay wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:

Got married and had a kid? I thought he was already married with multiple kids. Geez, you think you know a guy you’ve never met, spoken with, and had no respect for.

I guess he could have been married while he was here, he just kept his wife a secret? I don't know. Anyway, they had another kid.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-19, 15:47

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I guess he could have been married while he was here, he just kept his wife a secret? I don't know. Anyway, they had another kid.
along with procreation and all-U-can-eat buffets, is he still all jesus-y?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-03-19, 16:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:

I think Slow is right in that Hondo set up his own tax shelter church in LV, but he also used to have something on YT, IIRC.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-03-20, 08:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
CaptainSlow33 wrote:

I dare say more so.

He always posted men's devotionals on his socials when he was here. Now he has moved on to setting up his own church out in Vegas. Since his new gig is with the Raiders, he spends a bit more time promoting that than he does Jesus, but not in a way that makes him less Jesusy.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2024-03-20, 09:15

Raiders and Jesus. That is a great combination.
gomersbro
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-03-20, 09:17

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
gomersbro wrote:

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-03-20, 10:10

I thought he was married here and had a kid named Duffy or Muddy or something. Didn't he have "tailgate" video spots on TV? (maybe youtube)

I vaguely remember his wife making a "special tailgate treat" which consisted of melting Rolos on pretzels.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-20, 10:14

CaptainSlow33 wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:along with procreation and all-U-can-eat buffets, is he still all jesus-y?

I dare say more so.

He always posted men's devotionals on his socials when he was here. Now he has moved on to setting up his own church out in Vegas. Since his new gig is with the Raiders, he spends a bit more time promoting that than he does Jesus, but not in a way that makes him less Jesusy.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-03-20, 11:34

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I thought he was married here and had a kid named Duffy or Muddy or something. Didn't he have "tailgate" video spots on TV? (maybe youtube)

I vaguely remember his wife making a "special tailgate treat" which consisted of melting Rolos on pretzels.

Duffy, correct. He rarely mentioned his wife on socials, so I always kind of assumed he was divorced/his wife was embarrassed to be associated with him. Now he posts about her more or less anytime he isn't flooding his socials with videos of his Raiders podcast. I unfriended him a long time ago on Facebook, but I check in every now and then because I love a trainwreck.

EDIT: I just did a deep dive on his facebook so that you don't have to. Now he in addition to posting about his youngest, he is also posting about adult children and grandchildren, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that his current wife is a second wife. It seems unlikely that he'd going from only posting about his one son to suddenly posting about multiple.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2024-03-20, 12:31

NigelUno wrote:I wonder what will happen to non-revenue sports if big schools break away from the NCAA for football (and you don't have football revenue to support non-revenue sports).
FWIW, even if schools separated football from the NCAA you still have a huge Title IX issue. You are going to have to fund a lot of women's sports to cover 85 football scholarships.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-20, 13:34

I’m all for paying these kids we’ve been ripping off for years. They deserve it.

But, to me, this is theft. Wow.

[tw]1770231479123206406?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-03-20, 13:37

DWags wrote:I’m all for paying these kids we’ve been ripping off for years. They deserve it.

I agree. The athletes absolutely deserve to be paid for their work, the wear and tear on their bodies, and the revenue they are generating. Having said all of that, the current system has lost the plot. Instead of fixing college athletics, it has made the system more broken. The current system has made college athletics (namely football, and to some extent basketball) more like a minor league system, but somehow worse.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-20, 14:17

DWags wrote:I’m all for paying these kids we’ve been ripping off for years. They deserve it.

it's no secret that there needs to be some guardrails in place. I don't even know what that looks like, but I do know that the current Wild West model isn't sustainable. Even professional sports have contracts, collective bargaining.

I don't want Congress involved either - nothing good can come from that.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and CaptainSlow33 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-03-20, 14:32

So does or will anyone here contribute to NIL? Out of principal, I never will.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-20, 14:34

duffy munn wrote:So does or will anyone here contribute to NIL? Out of principal, I never will.

Not under current rules.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-03-20, 14:49

I hope he enjoys his $100 grand and winds up in Division 9 CFB.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-03-20, 15:16

duffy munn wrote:So does or will anyone here contribute to NIL? Out of principal, I never will.

Not under the current form, absolutely not. I will contribute to the Spartan Fund, and I give to individual programs, but I'm not going to even consider NIL until there are more safeguards and rules in place.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-03-20, 15:43

Honest answers. I don't know that any change in the system will prompt me to pay a college athlete. To me, it's grifting
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-03-20, 15:46

In the new NIL era, has anyone sued to get their money back yet? Why not? If you are paid for "nil" throughout a season (or 4 years) seems like a simple breach of contract, right?
Pros can't take a paycheck then bolt.
Kids want to run with the big dogs, prepare to pay the lawyers.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-20, 15:49

Floyd Robertson wrote:I hope he enjoys his $100 grand and winds up in Division 9 CFB.

The problem is, he will be picked up by a major D1. He’ll, we would like him. So for the month and a half he spent in Iowa lifting weights and not going to one class he gets $100,000

I’d spend 6 weeks in Iowa for 100K.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2024-03-20, 15:54

DWags wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:I hope he enjoys his $100 grand and winds up in Division 9 CFB.

The problem is, he will be picked up by a major D1. He’ll, we would like him. So for the month and a half he spent in Iowa lifting weights and not going to one class he gets $100,000

I’d spend 6 weeks in Iowa for 100K.

You're right, I think. I didn't mean my hope was realistic.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 2024-03-20, 15:56

duffy munn wrote:Honest answers. I don't know that any change in the system will prompt me to pay a college athlete. To me, it's grifting

I donate to smaller sports like women's soccer. With the expansion of the conference to become a truly national conference, those smaller teams are getting hosed. If anyone opts to donate to NIL, no judgement on my end - I won't tell you how to spend your money - I just can't see myself spending any money on it. Feels like schools should be able to fund that with their ticket and TV revenue.
CaptainSlow33
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-03-20, 15:57

nope.

I love MSU sports as much as anyone here, but there are lot of other entities (local shelters, food banks, etc) out there in more need of resources and financial assistance than MSU sports.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, duffy munn and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-03-20, 17:35

That guy rules. Fuck Iowa, take all their money.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-03-20, 21:28

What kind of fucking psychos are going to tithe to college sports? ... Well, i suppose people bought gold high tops recently, so i guess some idiots will.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-03-20, 21:47

Walmart wolverines?

The mouthy spartan twitter average age is like 23, so they broke...

Id rather drop to D2 and enjoy sports for sport sake again.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-03-20, 22:00

Admittedly, I toyed with it when this first came out, but like everyone else here, I’m disgusted with the entire fucking system, so no. We’ll keep giving to the Spartan Fund and a couple different colleges within MSU. Ironically, we’re finally in a position to give a lot of money, but the way college athletics is evolving I’m thinking even the Spartan Fund donation may be pulled. We were close to ending all donations after the most recent Board issue. That’s still a remains to be seen decision.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-03-20, 22:11

AvgMSUJoe wrote:What kind of fucking psychos are going to tithe to college sports? ... Well, i suppose people bought gold high tops recently, so i guess some idiots will.

We started giving with the intention of getting season tix for basketball. A few years ago it became obvious that the best seat in the house is actually in the house. Add in NIL and there’s such a foul taste in our mouths that our SF donation will likely go elsewhere. Like Bob said, so many places around here need help. Our wills are set up that nonprofits get everything.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next