Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 'up north' golf thread

+13
Travis of the Cosmos
Triple Sparty
tTy
Death Roe
The Pantry
tanfan!
ROtown Sparty
Robert J Sakimano
EdMartinsLoan
WhiteBoyHatcher
duffy munn
NigelUno
InTenSity
17 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'up north' golf thread

Post by duffy munn 2016-08-05, 09:00

InTenSity wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Both Cedar River and Hawks Eye are great tracks. Shorts for a few beers after. I'm jelly.
Yup. The cottages are on Torch, about a mile north of Dockside.

Nice. The Dockside is owned by a Spartan and Gordie is a good dude. Also hit up the Alden Bar if you head south to the bottom of Torch.

If you are looking for a 5-star dinner, shoot over to Ellsworth to the Rowe Inn. I had the best piece of Walleye ever there a few weeks ago.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-05, 09:05

duffy munn wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
Yup. The cottages are on Torch, about a mile north of Dockside.

Nice. The Dockside is owned by a Spartan and Gordie is a good dude. Also hit up the Alden Bar if you head south to the bottom of Torch.

If you are looking for a 5-star dinner, shoot over to Ellsworth to the Rowe Inn. I had the best piece of Walleye ever there a few weeks ago.
I used to be a regular at Dockside when I worked summers up there, although when I went Gordie wasn't here much. I've been going to Torch since I was born. The land my grandparents have, was bought in the 40's, and has been in the family since then. I have a cousin that works at Alden Bar, IIRC the pizza there is pretty damn good, and the drinks are poured well, and not as expensive as Dockside. We aren't sure if we're going to have a night to go out to eat, but the plan was Shanty's Lakeview, or whatever its called.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-08-05, 09:10

InTenSity wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I used to be a regular at Dockside when I worked summers up there, although when I went Gordie wasn't here much. I've been going to Torch since I was born. The land my grandparents have, was bought in the 40's, and has been in the family since then. I have a cousin that works at Alden Bar, IIRC the pizza there is pretty damn good, and the drinks are poured well, and not as expensive as Dockside. We aren't sure if we're going to have a night to go out to eat, but the plan was Shanty's Lakeview, or whatever its called.

I figured you were quite familiar with Antrim county. How cool to spend your whole life going up to God's country ( sorry Bob).
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-05, 09:12

InTenSity wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Saw the fireworks at Torch last month. There were State Cops everywhere (during the day) down by the sandbar. You couldn't walk on to the sandbar without (virtually) going through a security checkpoint. I'm guessing there were a lot of MIP's and Public Intox tickets given out. Checking a lot of Boat and jetski numbers/registrations on the water too.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-05, 09:17

NigelUno wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Saw the fireworks at Torch last month. There were State Cops everywhere (during the day) down by the sandbar. You couldn't walk on to the sandbar without (virtually) going through a security checkpoint. I'm guessing there were a lot of MIP's and Public Intox tickets given out. Checking a lot of Boat and jetski numbers/registrations on the water too.
That's because of last year. Used to be tradition to hop in about 4 boats and go to the south end for fireworks after our neighbors stopped doing them. I used to ride around down there, when I was younger. Usually had fun, but also got a little boring if you weren't with people.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-05, 09:37

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm going to play some golf this weekend.. I'll head Up North in my SUV this afternoon with my carbon-fiber golf clubs in tow.. a cooler full of Michelob Ultra in the back... I think my lovely, non-threatening family will come along and I really hope they want to bring along Jake, our golden lab. It could be the perfect weekend to take our family Christmas card photo.

I'll have to run by Baryames first to get my linen trousers and my favorite Dri-Fit golf shirts.. then we're Up North bound. The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 969504605

Have you ever actually been Up North Bob ? If so, where did you go and why do you hate it ?
no, I don't think I've ever actually been Up North..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-05, 09:39

InTenSity wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Have you ever actually been Up North Bob ? If so, where did you go and why do you hate it ?
Bob hates everything about Michigan, except the winters.
I do dig the winters.

and, of course, Spartan athletics and tailgate party get-togethers where I can wear jorts and a jersey promoting my favorite player.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-08-05, 10:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

no, I don't think I've ever actually been Up North..

I see. At least you have an informed opinion to mock those that enjoy it.

Carry on.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-05, 10:03

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:no, I don't think I've ever actually been Up North..

Carry on.
thanks. The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-08-05, 10:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Carry on.
thanks. The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 3493939353

No worries. I've never been to North Carolina but I'm pretty sure it sucks. Hell, anyone that enjoys it there must be an idiot.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-05, 10:20

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:thanks. The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 3493939353

No worries. I've never been to North Carolina but I'm pretty sure it sucks. Hell, anyone that enjoys it there must be an idiot.
thanks for your opinion. The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 969504605

(see how easy that was?)

GO GREEN!!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-08-05, 10:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

(see how easy that was?)

GO GREEN!!

You're welcome. I have a lot of opinions on things I know nothing about.

And it's fun to be intentionally annoying.

'Merica.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-05, 10:48

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:thanks. The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 3493939353

Ever seen Deliverance? Enough said.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-05, 11:05

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Deliverance was filmed in Georgia. Enough said.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-05, 11:12

The Pantry wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Deliverance was filmed in Georgia. Enough said.

Right. With hillbillies imported from North Carolina.

Enough said.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-05, 12:54

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

(see how easy that was?)

GO GREEN!!

You're welcome. I have a lot of opinions on things I know nothing about.

And it's fun to be intentionally annoying.

'Merica.
The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-05, 12:54

NigelUno wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Deliverance was filmed in Georgia.  Enough said.

Right.  With hillbillies imported from North Carolina.

Enough said.
Cowboy..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-08-05, 13:03

To get this thread back on-topic after being hijacked by the usual suspects...

I bought the Cobra King F6+ driver a week and a half ago. Holy. Fucking. Shit. Best driver I've ever had, by far.

Bad part is, there's already a rattle in the club head. Cobra is taking care of it, thankfully.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-05, 13:09

Death Roe wrote:To get this thread back on-topic after being hijacked by the usual suspects...

I bought the Cobra King F6+ driver a week and a half ago. Holy. Fucking. Shit. Best driver I've ever had, by far.

Bad part is, there's already a rattle in the club head. Cobra is taking care of it, thankfully.
that's so awesome. Glad to hear it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-08-05, 13:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Death Roe wrote:To get this thread back on-topic after being hijacked by the usual suspects...

that's so awesome. Glad to hear it.

Are you going to recycle some defensive posts now, like calling me a fragile snowflake? I'm sure you used that already today.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-05, 13:24

Death Roe wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:that's so awesome. Glad to hear it.

Are you going to recycle some defensive posts now, like calling me a fragile snowflake? I'm sure you used that already today.
oh, heck no.. I only consider the fragile snowflakes to be the people who are easily offended by those who participate in free speech and, therefore, move to have them banned because of it.

enjoy your golf clubs and know that I believe you to be a great American and a fine Spartan.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-05, 13:26

My buddy has a Ping driver. About 6 months after he bought it, he noticed a crack on the shaft, or on the head, I forget which. Anyway, he took it back to the dealer, they didn't have his club there, but they called Ping and they over nighted him a brand new driver. I think its a 1 year manufacturing warranty.
I have the R15 or whichever one came out right before the M1's. Something right now is broken with my drive, I use the driver only 3 or 4 times now a round. Usually I'll go down to my 3 wood or a rescue 3 I've got.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-08-05, 13:37

That's weird. My stepdad has the R15 Tour model and his drives aren't carrying at all. They're line drives. I keep telling him to go and adjust the driver at a range, but he's too busy to do it.

I had the R1 before this and I really liked it.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-05, 13:45

What I mean by something broken, is that I'm not hitting the club well. Its coming across my body, and then if I try to correct it, I have a huge pull. I think its where I have the ball in my stance, but I can just pull out my 3 wood and hit it about 230 or so down the middle of the fairway, it usually a safe hit. The thing is, I'm giving up the potential of about a avg 260 drive, with some longer and some shorter, but I take the chance that over 50% of the time, I'm going to slice it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2016-08-05, 13:47

That's exactly what I meant, too. He hits his FW further right now.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-08-05, 19:59

InTen, it has been an absolute shitfest at work this week. Finally home and catching my breaf. Fuck this week.

Anywho, I don't recall what your pleans are or how long you are going to be up here, but tomorrow is the twins BDay and we are having a BDay partay while canoeing the Platte tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to try to get my salmon slammer up and running (haven't even had time to drop the batteries in that fucker yet this summer, thanks work, thanks Obama, thanks Tom Cruise and Oprah Winfrey!) and try to get out Sunday before all hell breaks loose again on Monday.

Any interest in trying to kill a salmon on Sunday evening?
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-08-05, 21:16

InTenSity wrote:

My buddy has a Ping driver. About 6 months after he bought it, he noticed a crack on the shaft, or on the head, I forget which. Anyway, he took it back to the dealer, they didn't have his club there, but they called Ping and they over nighted him a brand new driver. I think its a 1 year manufacturing warranty.
I have the R15 or whichever one came out right before the M1's. Something right now is broken with my drive, I use the driver only 3 or 4 times now a round. Usually I'll go down to my 3 wood or a rescue 3 I've got.
InTenSity wrote:

Those are my clubs of choice. Stiff shafts. I have ping four three woods and driver.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-08-05, 21:17

InTenSity wrote:What I mean by something broken, is that I'm not hitting the club well. Its coming across my body, and then if I try to correct it, I have a huge pull. I think its where I have the ball in my stance, but I can just pull out my 3 wood and hit it about 230 or so down the middle of the fairway, it usually a safe hit. The thing is, I'm giving up the potential of about a avg 260 drive, with some longer and some shorter, but I take the chance that over 50% of the time, I'm going to slice it.

Sounds like you are swaying when you draw the club back and then on follow through.  If you sway you'll either open the club face on impact causing a slice or pull it.  Keep you lower body silent. Just let your arms move the club back.  You'll hit it square and more consistently.  Once I did that my iron and wood played improved dramatically.  Just something to consider. By the way your legs will get really tired at the end of the round.

Last edited by Tanfan! on 2016-08-05, 21:23; edited 2 times in total
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-05, 21:21

Tanfan! wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Those are my clubs of choice. Stiff shafts. I have ping four three woods and driver.
My porn movie name was Stiff Shaft.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-05, 22:04

tTy wrote:InTen, it has been an absolute shitfest at work this week. Finally home and catching my breaf. Fuck this week.

Anywho, I don't recall what your pleans are or how long you are going to be up here, but tomorrow is the twins BDay and we are having a BDay partay while canoeing the Platte tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to try to get my salmon slammer up and running (haven't even had time to drop the batteries in that fucker yet this summer, thanks work, thanks Obama, thanks Tom Cruise and Oprah Winfrey!) and try to get out Sunday before all hell breaks loose again on Monday.

Any interest in trying to kill a salmon on Sunday evening?
Probably not gonna have the opportunity, but I'll keep it open. Sunday is cedar river now, followed by a prime rib dinner.Tuesday will be the best chance to do anything.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-05, 22:07

Tanfan! wrote:
InTenSity wrote:What I mean by something broken, is that I'm not hitting the club well. Its coming across my body, and then if I try to correct it, I have a huge pull. I think its where I have the ball in my stance, but I can just pull out my 3 wood and hit it about 230 or so down the middle of the fairway, it usually a safe hit. The thing is, I'm giving up the potential of about a avg 260 drive, with some longer and some shorter, but I take the chance that over 50% of the time, I'm going to slice it.

Sounds like you are swaying when you draw the club back and then on follow through.  If you sway you'll either open the club face on impact causing a slice or pull it.  Keep you lower body silent. Just let your arms move the club back.  You'll hit it square and more consistently.  Once I did that my iron and wood played improved dramatically.  Just something to consider. By the way your legs will get really tired at the end of the round.
That's the thing. It's only my driver. I hit my irons just fine. I can see the saying happening on my drives though, thinking I'm getting more power. I'll test it out. Thanks.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-07, 19:19

Here's a pic of the girls having a horrible time and hating up north.
The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 05NTblT
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-08-07, 20:29

Nice InTen. I brought my DSLR and we had a stranger snap a pic of the 4 of us at the dunes and at the beach at Glen Haven yesterday. Checked my wife's facespace today (I don't have an account) and sure enough....posted. Bob's worst nightmare.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-07, 21:00

InTenSity wrote:Here's a pic of the girls having a horrible time and hating up north.
The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 05NTblT

Yeah, it's hell being up north.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-08-08, 01:15

Solid.... We canoed the Platte on Saturday and had a bday party for the two dinks along the way.  Here are a couple pics of us abusing party hats at the lunch break on the Loon Lake sand bar.

The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 Img_2011

zoom...

The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 Zoomii10

The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 Img_2013

zoom....

The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 Zoom10
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-08, 07:35

sounds like you need to work on your core fitness a little bit.

Of course, I've never swung a golf club.. but, no matter the activity, the core is where everything begins.

Glad you had fun Up North - it's truly a magical place and somewhere my family dearly loves.

(I hope it's okay with everyone if I post this.. if not, I'm sorry and you can move to have me banned).

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-08-08, 08:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
sounds like you need to work on your core fitness a little bit.

Of course, I've never swung a golf club.. but, no matter the activity, the core is where everything begins.

Glad you had fun Up North - it's truly a magical place and somewhere my family dearly loves.

(I hope it's okay with everyone if I post this.. if not, I'm sorry and you can move to have me banned).

I don't know your daughter ( no I am not creative ) but I bet she would enjoy it Up North.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-08, 08:40

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:sounds like you need to work on your core fitness a little bit.

I don't know your daughter ( no I am not creative ) but I bet she would enjoy it Up North.

I know her (sorry For bin) fairly well and I'm guessing she's be pretty bored.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-08, 15:09

Hate this place.
The 'up north' golf thread - Page 2 MmmrgL0
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte