Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make a switch at MIKE linebacker?

+2
InTenSity
HT
6 posters

Go down

Make a switch at MIKE linebacker? Empty Make a switch at MIKE linebacker?

Post by HT 2014-09-12, 08:47

Just an idea...and the game made me think of this because of the miscues. Would anyone else prefer Reschke at MLB instead of Jones, and have Jones be moved back to STAR?

I say this because Reschke has been groomed to take over MLB, and next year, we'll be breaking in a new starter there like we're doing this year. If we start Reschke this year, then we'll be set at MLB for years and he'll know the defense inside and out like Bullough did. I kind of see that worth the loss of Jones' athleticism, given how important Bullough coordinating the defense on the field was to our defensive success. Add in that Reschke was pushing Jones throughout camp, and I think it's not that much of a loss while setting ourselves up for better defensive success in the future. I also think the B1G is weak enough that we can get away with it as Reschke grows into the position.

Probably a dumb idea, but I haven't really liked the idea of Jones at MLB from the start. I'm sure there will be some "The coaches are paid to handle this." remarks, but I just wanted to see what other Spartans thought about this idea. So, thoughts on it?
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Make a switch at MIKE linebacker? Empty Re: Make a switch at MIKE linebacker?

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-12, 08:56

I could see it happening. I don't pay that much attention to who is playing what position, and on TV I don't have their numbers memorized, I'd be a horrible person to watch a game with Dwags. That being said, it is possible that they bring in Reschke now, after teh Oregon game, because he just wouldn't have the experience for a second game to play that position. I don't really have an opinion, just trying to type out a stream of consciousness.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-09-12, 08:59

They should wait until the UM game. That way Gardner won't be able to identify him.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-09-12, 09:25

SpartanHT wrote:Just an idea...and the game made me think of this because of the miscues. Would anyone else prefer Reschke at MLB instead of Jones, and have Jones be moved back to STAR?

I say this because Reschke has been groomed to take over MLB, and next year, we'll be breaking in a new starter there like we're doing this year. If we start Reschke this year, then we'll be set at MLB for years and he'll know the defense inside and out like Bullough did. I kind of see that worth the loss of Jones' athleticism, given how important Bullough coordinating the defense on the field was to our defensive success. Add in that Reschke was pushing Jones throughout camp, and I think it's not that much of a loss while setting ourselves up for better defensive success in the future. I also think the B1G is weak enough that we can get away with it as Reschke grows into the position.

Probably a dumb idea, but I haven't really liked the idea of Jones at MLB from the start. I'm sure there will be some "The coaches are paid to handle this." remarks, but I just wanted to see what other Spartans thought about this idea. So, thoughts on it?

Racist
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-09-12, 09:51

No. 2 games in? Really??

Was it Jones who blew those coverages? IIRC it was Drummond. Was it Jones who lost contain on Mariotta for a TD? IIRC it was Rush. Was it Jones who short-armed a shovel pass & didn't get enough air under a screen pass that both would've gone for huge plays? IIRC it was Cook.

scratch
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-09-12, 09:56

There was some comment from The coaches (don't have the link) about how good they thought Reschke was doing. But a lot of people have also made comments that Jones, while maybe not technically as good at MLB as Bullough was, he's faster and can make more mistakes because he can recover. Also, I've heard nothing but good things about how well he calls the defense, so my suspicion is you'll see Reschke as a backup at MLB.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down