Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Valenti not happy with current state of football team

+19
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
tanfan!
Rocinante
steveschneider
Death Roe
Heat Miser
HT
Frank Ricard
By-Tor
LoneWolfSparty
NigelUno
WBill
MiamiSpartan
MasonGuy
Nordic
beal99
InTenSity
The_Dude
23 posters

Go down

Valenti not happy with current state of football team  Empty Valenti not happy with current state of football team

Post by The_Dude 2014-10-13, 16:13

Can't say I disagree. Secondary has issues and Cook looks lost the last few games. He locks into Lippett. Where's Mumphery? Where's Burbridge Kings and Shelton in the vertical game?

Cook really spread the ball around last year and made the basic plays. How many times again slid us did he throw a bad screen pass (bubble screens too) or bad short pass in general?

Team really needs to tighten up and focus. It's like they read their press clippings and think they can do more than they really can and have gotten sloppy. So says Valenti and he's right.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Valenti not happy with current state of football team  Empty Re: Valenti not happy with current state of football team

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-13, 16:15

Scrap the program, the great Mike V has spoken!

pig
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Valenti not happy with current state of football team  Empty Re: Valenti not happy with current state of football team

Post by beal99 2014-10-13, 16:16

thats ok, I haven't been happy with the state of Valenti for about three years
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-10-13, 16:16

In 2009 he was beyotching about our hoops team. That is what he does.

I have no idea if they'll win out. None of us did last year either. Enjoy the ride, some of you fucks are too uptight.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-10-13, 16:34

Good Lord we are spoiled bitches.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-13, 16:48

Did he say that the program has fallen...HARD?

Was he happy with the current state of the football team 12 months ago? What about 13 months ago?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-10-13, 16:49

Check out Cousins' game v. Nebraska, it stunk.

Oh and Cook had two 3rd down TD passes on Saturday to Burbridge and our TE.

WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-10-13, 17:05

Seems like we are spreading the ball around more on the ground though.

Rushing Stats through 6 games/All of last year:

Langford 555/1422
Hill 287/344
Delton 184/238
Shelton 122/153
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-10-13, 17:08

Who cares? I am not happy with the quality of his radio program. It is horrible and downright non-listenable most days.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-13, 17:29

God. We had a 21 point lead mid 4thq and were one play away from cruising to a 28 point win. Relax Mikey.

By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-13, 18:38

Aww, hell, I know I shouldn't throw around facts, but what the hell. Regarding Cook locking in on Lippett, just a few examples off the top of my head:

Burbridge's TD - 3rd down, Trips to the left, Lippet by himself to the right. Cook never even glanced in Lippett's direction (it was probably designed for Lippett to draw a double team leaving fewer defenders with the trips.

Our last two drives (not counting victory formation) were ended by incomplete passes on 2nd and 3rd down. Of those 4 plays, only ONCE did Cook look at Lippett. On all four, he never looked anywhere else other than where he threw to (once to Lippett, once to Kings, once to Lyles, and once to Price). It wasn't so much staring down a receiver as just trying to get rid of the ball right away, as he threw each far more quickly than he needed to.

My point is that he may not go through his progressions, but doesn't just stare down Lippett. Maybe he goes to the primary receiver a lot. Perhaps there's a bit of arrogance there to think that he'll be able to complete it. That arrogance is his swagger though.

On the other hand, Purdue had no answer at all for Lippett in the first half, so why not lock in on him? In the second half we didn't throw to Lippett much at all, so Valenti's argument is completely invalid for the second half, which I assume is what caused his unhappiness (though he's probably basing all of this on the interception, where he did stare down Lippett, and applying that to the whole game/season). I believe they were double teaming him a lot in the second half (as would be a logical half time adjustment for a WR with over 100 yards in the first half). I don't have a problem with throwing to Lippett until they have to take an extra pass defender away from the rest of the field to help cover him.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-10-13, 19:33

I like Valenti when he trolls UM fans. But his schtick is finding something to bitch about and throw in some comedy with his melodramatic rhetoric. And that does get old sometimes. He's only 'on' when he's complaining.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-10-13, 20:18

I would like to see the ball distributed more instead of locking onto Lippett so often, but I feel like when you have one stud receiver you subconsciously look to him noticeably more than the others.

The secondary...I don't know. The rest of our defense has been able to compensate for their issues but it does worry me some. Hoping these next two games will help us figure it out.

I don't think Valenti should be too dissatisfied. I mean, what we have is better than just about every other program in the B1G, and when you combine that with our success in hoops, I'm pretty satisfied.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-10-13, 20:29

8 different players caught a pass. Lippett had 7 of the 19 total receptions. That's not "locked in". That's feeding your ****ing senior star the ball a reasonable number of times.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-10-13, 22:47

OP sucks giant penis.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-10-14, 00:09

Time to get some perspective, we are lucky. Growing up you would only get a good spartan team once a decade. We should have 10-11 wins this year and I think this team should be better next year.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-10-14, 00:28

If Mike was funny he'd be Dan Lebatard who is now my favorite sports talk dude.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-10-14, 00:28

And I just realized that made exactly zero sense.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-10-14, 02:08

I farted
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-10-14, 06:01

The_Dude wrote:Can't say I disagree. Secondary has issues and Cook looks lost the last few games. He locks into Lippett. Where's Mumphery? Where's Burbridge Kings and Shelton in the vertical game?

Cook really spread the ball around last year and made the basic plays. How many times again slid us did he throw a bad screen pass (bubble screens too) or bad short pass in general?

Team really needs to tighten up and focus. It's like they read their press clippings and think they can do more than they really can and have gotten sloppy. So says Valenti and he's right.

38 offensive points 8 receivers caught balls. Lippett caught the most. Had he caught 3 and another receiver caught 7 the narrative would have been "why aren't we using our best receiver more" from those nancies who need to bitch about something.

Our offense isn't the problem. Don't listen to everything you hear on the radio and take it for gospel. Just a thought.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-14, 07:33

isn't "Valenti" the chubby guy with the funny little beard and a propensity to wear jorts in public?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-10-14, 07:52

Sports talking heads worst nightmare is a team which they've hitched onto doing well. Everything is about negativity and bitching. They'd have no show with that which validates that Valenti is no better than the other (market of your choice) talking heads. I know what MSU does each game, see mistakes, see amazing plays, get entertained, love that my Alma Mater is winning and has been in the top 20; nearly top 10 most of the season this year and sits with only one loss to a team that was ranked above them at the time which I believe no other top 10 team can boast today. I lived through the bad years. I waited for "our time" and could never have scripted so well not only seeing MSU's iconic Spartan logo on every sports show, a coach and staff rated the "best" in CFB, prized recruits being serious about MSU, more public wearing proudly MSU gear and the piece de resistance, a bunch of "arrogant asses" (thank you Darryl) from the south take the pain they once dished up their collective assholes.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-10-14, 08:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:isn't "Valenti" the chubby guy with the funny little beard and a propensity to wear jorts in public?

I'm pretty sure that's Santa Clause
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-14, 08:24

DWags wrote:

so "Valenti" is Santa Clause?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-14, 08:53

Why does anyone think Valenti knows what he is talking about ?

What makes him more qualified than anyone here to be an "expert "?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-14, 09:26

duffy munn wrote:Why does anyone think Valenti knows what he is talking about ?

What makes him more qualified than anyone here to be an "expert "?

He had a lot to say.
He had a lot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him.

We're gonna miss him.

Yeah, so long.
We wish you well.
Told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well, so long.
Don't cry, yeah,
Or feel too down.
Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.
Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart.
We'll miss him.

We're gonna miss him.

No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me,
Like I care at all.

But it was so loud.
You sure could yell.
Took a stand on every little thing
And so loud.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade 'cause I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, and
Someone who would die for me.

Will you? Will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you ****ing lie.

Don't you step out of line.
Don't you ****ing lie.

You claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy?

He had a lot to say.
He had a lot of nothing to say.

Come down.
Get off your ****ing cross.
We need the ****ing space to nail the next fool martyr.

To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified
For our sins and our lies.
Goodbye...
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-10-14, 10:46

DWags wrote:

lol
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-10-14, 12:36

I'm getting sick of the cliches that people are going with for the reasoning behind our inability to put teams away, but something has to change. I'm not sure if they are "reading their press clippings" but whatever the hell they are doing in the 4th quarter, it ain't working.

Drummond needs to quit getting burned. Cook needs to stop trying to be cute and lobbing the ball every throw.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-10-14, 13:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Drummond needs to quit getting burned. Cook needs to stop trying to be cute and lobbing the ball every throw.

It seems like a lack of focus...like they think their shit dont stink. Cook trying to make the toughest passes instead of being able to hit basic short throws...Drummond going for huge plays instead of being a sure tackler (tackling in secondary in general isn't very good).
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down