Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighting Irish PI call last night

+8
Robert J Sakimano
Wally Fairway
Code_Warrior
Herbie Green
CORNER BLITZ
Jethro Bodeen
Ass Dan
By-Tor
12 posters

Go down

Fighting Irish PI call last night Empty Fighting Irish PI call last night

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-19, 23:25

What's your take? From a pure football standpoint. I think it was a shit call. Is it really that clear cut of a PI call as most national pundits are saying? Do any FSU defenders try to release and cover Robinson? I see it as: one guy playing the slant and the other playing bump press coverage while the the 3rd is lost in space and not sure what to do. The FSU defender #8 should have never engaged his man#20 and should have covered Robinson as #26 FSU would have then taken the ND #20 slot guy instead of covering nothing. I'm assuming the flag was on #20 for ND. I got into it over on tcock for a minute but all they care about is Brian Kelly killing a kid 5 years ago. Not much actual football IQ over there.

Here's a gif of the play-

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/19/notre-dame-got-screwed-in-tallahassee-by-the-referees/
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Fighting Irish PI call last night Empty Re: Fighting Irish PI call last night

Post by Ass Dan 2014-10-19, 23:33

If you block down field before the pass is thrown, you should expect to get flagged. Brian Kelly is making himself look like a complete dick head right now.

That said, nd covered up a rape too so it's two piles of shit sliding down the same wind shield as far as I'm concerned
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2014-10-19, 23:34

It appeared to me that the FSU player was "Jambing" the ND receiver at the line of scrimmage. The ND player simply tried to fight through the jamb- in other words, incidental contact. Also, it was not consequential to the success or failure of the play. FSU fked-up the coverage and the ND guy was wide open.

I don't much care for ND but I wanted ND to win cause I thought they would get beat by ASU and/or USC. The loss for FSU would have been more damaging to their credibility. HOWEVER- that does not cloud my opinion. I know why the Ref Called it, but he was just flat out wrong.

*** EDIT*** I watched the replay several times on YOUTUBE. I assumed the call was on the inside receiver who was jammed at the LOS. However, the middle receiver ( # 7) was not jammed and in fact ran toward the FSU defender, engaged contact with him and made a moving pick. That's illegal. I stand corrected. I'm assuming that was who the penalty was on: ND.

I hate FSU and ND. Fuck them. Both overrated.

Last edited by Jethro Bodeen on 2014-10-19, 23:42; edited 1 time in total
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-10-19, 23:37

Neither WR looks to be don't anything besides blocking the entire time.

Second WR looks worse IMO because he didn't get jammed at the line and just went searching for the block
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2014-10-19, 23:44

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Neither WR looks to be don't anything besides blocking the entire time.

Second WR looks worse IMO because he didn't get jammed at the line and just went searching for the block

Yes- absolutely. I was going on what I watched live and the few replays I saw before getting pissed off and turning the station. #7 who was the middle receiver of the 3 made an illegal pick.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-19, 23:52

I can't see the #s. Are you saying the penalty is more on the receiver deepest in the endzone?

...I agree a call on the jammed receiver seems questionable.

Is most of the world arguing about the wrong player?!
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-19, 23:54

Jethro Bodeen wrote:

Yes- absolutely. I was going on what I watched live and the few replays I saw before getting pissed off and turning the station. #7 who was the middle receiver of the 3 made an illegal pick.
It also looks like #7 is running a fake corner slant and his defender jumped the route and beat him to the spot. How can you pick your own defender?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-20, 00:03

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Neither WR looks to be don't anything besides blocking the entire time.

You sure the FSU defender #3 didn't stick both his arms out first to take away the slant? I'd argue he made the first contact with his hands.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-20, 00:36

Further research reveals that the penalty was officially called on #20, but Kelly says he was later told it was actually called on the other guy. So that doesn't offer much clarity.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-10-20, 01:02

Notre Dame wasn't crying last year when they got the benefit of the phantom PI calls at home against us. Calls that screwed us out of a potential 13-0 season and a possible trip to the NC game. If they get screwed the same way this year then it's called poetic justice. Fuck ND.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-10-20, 08:33

Kelly needed to man up and congratulate FSU, not be a whiny little bitch and complain about officiating.

Is that a play that happens and doesn't get called PI every time, sure - was it PI yes, and it looked like it was specifically drawn up that way as neither of the 2 receivers down field were trying to run a pattern.
Should FSU have had better coverage, sure - but that being said it was a good call by the officials.

My rooting interest were Fuck Notre Dame & Fuck FSU.
I would like to see the Spartans play either one in January.

And I find it funny how Irish fans talk about how their football program deals with internal problems. Their QB was not kicked off the football team last year, he was kick out of the university for cheating; their university covered up the rape case a few years back in which the victim later committed suicide.
I am not pointing the finger at ND, because all schools have issues with students and with athletes - but ND fans who act like they are holier than everyone else just have their heads in the sand.

Sorry to rant
tl:dr
it was PI & fuck both ND & FSU (but more so ND)
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-10-20, 09:13

By-Tor wrote:

You sure the FSU defender #3 didn't stick both his arms out first to take away the slant? I'd argue he made the first contact with his hands.

Have you ever seen a WR not bitch and moan for a call if a defender simply breathes on him?
Zero fight to break free, no arms flailing around trying to get a call...those guys were blocking.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-20, 09:16

we certainly would never whine like that..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-10-20, 09:18

Right call. They don't understand what a PI is determined by bad ones called against MSU and a good one this year. Fuck Notre Dame.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-10-20, 09:20

fight to break free, no arms flailing around trying to get a call...those guys

-rep (I'm starting to think you are also an Irish fan....maybe not such a great american)
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias 2014-10-20, 09:28

2 guys clearly blocking.  Obvious call.  Granted, if that had been @Purdue no way do they throw that flag
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias 2014-10-20, 09:31

That said, if route is run 2 yards more shallow (ball caught behind the LOS) then blocking downfield is fine.  I'm not sure if that was the design and it was executed poorly.
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-20, 09:36

Larry Kazamias wrote:2 guys clearly blocking.  Obvious call.  Granted, if that had been @Purdue no way do they throw that flag

#7 runs a fake corner slant then turns his head toward the QB. His defender read his route perfectly and jumped it. Inside guy while not running a route per se gets jammed at the line and then the FSU guys yanks him at the end of their tussle. I do agree that he did nothing to try and free himself and was basically inviting the contact.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-20, 09:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:we certainly would never whine like that..

Dantonio would never publicly whine about it like red faced Kelly but the fans would be in berserker mode if a call like that went against us while playing at say...Wisconsin or Michigan.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-20, 09:42

By-Tor wrote:

Dantonio would never publicly whine about it like red faced Kelly but the fans would be in berserker mode if a call like that went against us while playing at say...Wisconsin or Michigan.
Fighting Irish PI call last night Berserker
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-10-20, 09:47

Wally Fairway wrote:

-rep (I'm starting to think you are also an Irish fan....maybe not such a great american)

why would an Irish fan say it was PI?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-20, 09:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Fighting Irish PI call last night Berserker

That's beautiful, man
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-20, 09:52

By-Tor wrote:

That's beautiful, man
+1
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-20, 10:27

If they didn't call PI would there even be any controversey?
Offensive pass interference gets call what maybe one time in four games on average?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-20, 11:32

Wally Fairway wrote:Kelly needed to man up and congratulate FSU, not be a whiny little bitch and complain about officiating.

Is that a play that happens and doesn't get called PI every time, sure - was it PI yes, and it looked like it was specifically drawn up that way as neither of the 2 receivers down field were trying to run a pattern.
Should FSU have had better coverage, sure - but that being said it was a good call by the officials.
I think the whining is very much calculated by Kelly. It's part of his case to be included in the playoff. There may be several one loss teams, so a great way to separate yourself from that pack is to get people believing that the one loss was illegitimate. Even just being able to say that they lost in the last seconds on a controversial play (regardless of it being correct) helps him. You'd hope the committee isn't paying attention to that, but every little bit that he can get someone to rank ND a spot or two higher could help.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-10-20, 13:14

After the BS screw job we took last year in South Bend that cost us the Natty, I don't give a fuck what Notre Dame thinks. Karma is a bitch.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down