Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got two things to bitch about!

+11
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Herbie Green
duffy munn
MiamiSpartan
SeeRockCity
75alum
LoneWolfSparty
Rocinante
Vlad
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I got two things to bitch about! Empty I got two things to bitch about!

Post by Vlad 2014-10-27, 12:02

(Take a deep breath Dwags and Duffy. It's not what you think.)

First, Conor Cook's footwork: THIS IS NOT THE TIME! Don't fu ck with his footwork in mid season!!! It's gonna end up fu cking with his mind if you start doing that now. That kind of stuff has to be addressed in the offseason. Not sure why it wasn't fixed this past offseason, at the Whitfield Academy, etc., etc., but whatever....LET HIM PLAY ON INSTINCT! The kid is a gunslinger. He keeps his eyes downfield and makes plays where there aren't plays to be made. That's instinct! Yes, he can improve accuracy by improving his footwork, BUT NOT NOW! I got two things to bitch about! 1896033241

Second, these goddamn "targeting" penalties. AAARRRGH!!!! Are you kidding me!?!?! Two players are moving at high speeds, one player's helmet barely grazes the other player's helmet, AND HE GETS BOOTED OUT OF THE GAME??? AND POSSIBLY PART OF THE NEXT GAME TOO??? You better be damn sure that the player is actually guilty of what you're accusing of before you hand out that level of punishment! Thank God they changed the call on Jones, but even the Frey call was BS. No, he did not "target"! Moving at that speed, with the other player dropping his helmet too, there's no way one can target. This rule needs to be changed! I got two things to bitch about! 1896033241

Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I got two things to bitch about! Empty Re: I got two things to bitch about!

Post by Rocinante 2014-10-27, 12:03

The refs were terrible. I thought the crowd was going to riot after that second targeting call. Luckily for the refs, they overturned it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-10-27, 12:06

Rocinante wrote:The refs were terrible. I thought the crowd was going to riot after that second targeting call. Luckily for the refs, they overturned it.

Michigan's best drive all season was due to 3 15 yarders, (at least two were questionable at best). And they still didn't score on that drive. I got two things to bitch about! 502811600
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-10-27, 12:22

I haven't watched the replays of those, but they certainly appeared highly questionable. I also can't find anyone addressing it in the media. Everything is about that horrible INT call for OSU at Ped State.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-10-27, 13:53

Rocinante wrote:The refs were terrible. I thought the crowd was going to riot after that second targeting call. Luckily for the refs, they overturned it.

Between the shit, (refs) on the field in EL and the ones calling the Ped State / OSU game, there needs to be public firings on the spot. Jesus Christ, it's not that difficult. Watch the clock, place the ball in the correct place at end of play, watch the boundaries, count players and review a replay that the whole stadium can see as good or bad. As a ref, you're nothing more than a glorified quality inspector. It's just not that damn hard unless you're on the take or an idiot.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-10-27, 14:12

On #1 - Pretty sure they're not "changing" his footwork but merely consistently reinforcing what he's already been working on since last season.. I would guess that if they STOPPED doing that it would fuck with his mind as I'm sure that he relies on that feedback to guage progress.

On #2 - Agreed. I literally threw my hands in the air and gave thanks to the football gods when they overturned that call. Having Jones out for the first half of the OSU game would be potentially insurmountable given OSU's propensity to dink and dunk across the middle.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-27, 17:05

Obviously, Taiwan's was ridiculous (hell, he even pulled up as he was hitting him). The one on Frey was bullshit, too. He's going in for a tackle in the midsection, and the guy crouches down so his head is 3 feet off the ground. And on top of that, it was his facemask that grazed over the UM guy's head, not the crown of the helmet.

The refs called targeting twice on us, both for instances where the facemask of the MSU player was the point of contact. Reminds me of the 2012 Nebraska game where they called a helmet to helmet for a facemask to facemask contact on Martinez (a ridiculous call often forgotten about among all the outlandish calls in that game).

Also, notice how after the Taiwan targeting call got reversed, that the refs called a BS PI penalty on Waynes on the very next play. Like they were bitter about having the targeting over-ruled. ****ing dickwads.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-27, 21:24

SeeRockCity wrote:On #1 - Pretty sure they're not "changing" his footwork but merely consistently reinforcing what he's already been working on since last season.. I would guess that if they STOPPED doing that it would fuck with his mind as I'm sure that he relies on that feedback to guage progress.

Whatever the case, I just don't want him thinking about anything except finding receivers downfield. This isn't the time to think. Just play man! Just play!
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-27, 21:46

Vlad wrote:

Whatever the case, I just don't want him thinking about anything except finding receivers downfield. This isn't the time to think. Just play man! Just play!

So basically your advice to the coaches is to stop coaching. Brilliant.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-27, 23:08

duffy munn wrote:

Dude, you don't need to be f***ing with fundamental mechanics right now.  It is like changing your jump shot or golf swing mid season - it is going to get much worse before it gets better.

You have a point that the coaches need to be working with him but if this is constantly in his head it will be a disaster.

Just let Cook keep Cooking
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-27, 23:17

duffy munn wrote:

TBF, all this damn coaching that the staff has done over the years has really taken the wind out of Vlad's sails.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-27, 23:28

Herbie Green wrote:

Dude, you don't need to be f***ing with fundamental mechanics right now.  It is like changing your jump shot or golf swing mid season - it is going to get much worse before it gets better.

You have a point that the coaches need to be working with him but if this is constantly in his head it will be a disaster.

Just let Cook keep Cooking

What ? How to you think Cook got to this point ?

Fundamental mechanics are always a focal point for coaches. Teaching those will not hurt Connor Cook. It will make him better.

I'm glad you and Vlad are not coaching.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-27, 23:43

duffy munn wrote:

What ? How to you think Cook got to this point ?

Fundamental mechanics are always a focal point for coaches. Teaching those will not hurt Connor Cook. It will make him better.

I'm glad you and Vlad are not coaching.

Lol, probably true. I have no idea what is involved with coaching a quarterback. I played hoops and golf and was always a "feel" player. When I started thinking rather than doing I was ruined. I would swing in a Jim Furyk loop but my hands could correct it at the point of impact. A friend of mine that is a golf pro told me that I never even should have my swing analyzed or it would be two seasons of misery to correct it. To this day I have never even had a lesson. That is the same thing I think about Cook. When Ed Cunningham rips on his footwork it seems like the next pass is a 30 yard dart in a narrow window against double coverage.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-10-27, 23:51

WTF? Just saw this.

Er, em fellas. You work free throws every day in practice. How you dribble, how you line yp how your follow through. You work fundamentals in every sport each day in practice. In Bball you shoot jumpers, you get a routine, you know how to grab the ball jump, shoot, follow through etc. When the game starts, you might have to twist your body, turn in an awkward positon and shoot it differently. But your routine of follow through, find the target aim, go through with your wrist and finger toward the rim all ar eimbeded in you.

In football, you throw and catch every day. You work foot work, step through square shoulders point at man release ball, point finger at target. Every day you work them. You remind them your work proper mechanics. Without fail, it's your routine. In the game, when a 300 lb Nose tackle and a 245 poijnd Mike backer with bad intentions for you are in your face you improvise. You do what you have to. but it's still your training that makes it easier for you to make the pass.

You work your guys. Work their mechanics work on every thing every day without fail.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-27, 23:55

Herbie Green wrote:

Lol, probably true. I have no idea what is involved with coaching a quarterback. I played hoops and golf and was always a "feel" player. When I started thinking rather than doing I was ruined. I would swing in a Jim Furyk loop but my hands could correct it at the point of impact. A friend of mine that is a golf pro told me that I never even should have my swing analyzed or it would be two seasons of misery to correct it. To this day I have never even had a lesson. That is the same thing I think about Cook. When Ed Cunningham rips on his footwork it seems like the next pass is a 30 yard dart in a narrow window against double coverage.

Also a good thing that Cunningham is not coaching Cook.

I think we should leave it to Salem, Warner, Bollman and Dantonio.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-27, 23:57

DWags wrote:WTF? Just saw this.

Er, em fellas. You work free throws every day in practice. How you dribble, how you line yp how your follow through. You work fundamentals in every sport each day in practice. In Bball you shoot jumpers, you get a routine, you know how to grab the ball jump, shoot, follow through etc. When the game starts, you might have to twist your body, turn in an awkward positon and shoot it differently. But your routine of follow through, find the target aim, go through with your wrist and finger toward the rim all ar eimbeded in you.

In football, you throw and catch every day. You work foot work, step through square shoulders point at man release ball, point finger at target. Every day you work them. You remind them your work proper mechanics. Without fail, it's your routine. In the game, when a 300 lb Nose tackle and a 245 poijnd Mike backer with bad intentions for you are in your face you improvise. You do what you have to. but it's still your training that makes it easier for you to make the pass.

You work your guys. Work their mechanics work on every thing every day without fail.

But you don't change Mateen's jump shot in the middle of the season
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-27, 23:57

DWags wrote:WTF? Just saw this.

Nonsense. Just tell Cook to go out there and be a gunslinger.

Signed,

Clueless Fans
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-27, 23:58

Herbie Green wrote:

But you don't change Mateen's jump shot in the middle of the season

Nope. You do it everyday in practice and all season.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-28, 00:24

duffy munn wrote:

Nope. You do it everyday in practice and all season.

So I guess Izzo must have failed. His jumper was not even close to sound by high school standards.

....A quarterback or a point guard has a zillion other things going on.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-28, 00:57

Herbie Green wrote:

So I guess Izzo must have failed. His jumper was not even close to sound by high school standards.

....A quarterback or a point guard has a zillion other things going on.

His jumper was 100 times better his senior year than when he arrived on campus. Do you really think they didn't work on it every day ? It's one of many reason we won it all.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-28, 01:15

duffy munn wrote:

His jumper was 100 times better his senior year than when he arrived on campus. Do you really think they didn't work on it every day ? It's one of many reason we won it all.

Nah, he just willed it in. My daughter has learned this in 5th grade - "reach into the cookie jar". You don't shoot a flat shot with your elbow out. That is very basic shit if it was the main concern.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-28, 08:09

DWags wrote:WTF?  Just saw this.  

Er, em fellas.  You work free throws every day in practice.  How you dribble, how you line yp how your follow through.  You work fundamentals in every sport each day in practice.  In Bball you shoot jumpers, you get a routine, you know how to grab the ball jump, shoot, follow through etc.  When the game starts, you might have to twist your body, turn in an awkward positon and shoot it differently. But your routine of follow through, find the target aim, go through with your wrist and finger toward the rim all ar eimbeded in you.  

In football, you throw and catch every day.  You work foot work, step through square shoulders point at man release ball, point finger at target.  Every day you work them.  You remind them your work proper mechanics.  Without fail, it's your routine.   In the game, when a 300 lb Nose tackle and a 245 poijnd Mike backer with bad intentions for you are in your face you improvise.  You do what you have to. but it's still your training that makes it easier for you to make the pass.  

You work your guys.  Work their mechanics work on every thing every day without fail.  

Well, err...umm...if they work with him every day and every practice, and given that he's been in the program for 3+ years...and err...umm...has been to the Whitfield Academy TWICE if I'm not mistaken...err...umm...my guess is that his footwork ain't gonna get solved in the middle of the season.  Higher chance that they're gonna mess him up in the head.

Take what you got for now. You got a 7-1 QB who's a proven commodity based on his performance a season ago. Whatever issues he has (and he definitely has mechanical issues), address them in the off-season (again). That's just my novice advice.

Last edited by Vlad on 2014-10-28, 08:15; edited 1 time in total
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-28, 08:10

Vlad wrote:

Well, err...umm...if they work with him every day and every practice, and given that he's been in the program for 3+ years...and err...umm...has been to the Whitfield Academy TWICE if I'm not mistaken...err...umm...my guess is that his footwork ain't gonna get solved in the middle of the season.  Higher chance that they're gonna mess him up in the head.

Take what you got for now. You have a 7-1 QB who's a proven commodity, even with all his flaws. Whatever issues he still has (and he surely has issues), work on them in the off-season (again). That's just my novice advice.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-28, 09:01

Vlad wrote:

Take what you got for now. You got a 7-1 QB who's a proven commodity based on his performance a season ago. Whatever issues he has (and he definitely has mechanical issues), address them in the off-season (again). That's just my novice advice.

Very novice advice. Any coach that ignores fundamental issues is incompetent.

These guys know what they are doing and they are not going to "mess with Cook's head".
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-28, 09:10

duffy munn wrote:

These guys know what they are doing and they are not going to "mess with Cook's head".
what's up, Duff? I got two things to bitch about! 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-28, 09:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:what's up, Duff? I got two things to bitch about! 969504605

Good morning Bob. Do you think our coaches should stop coaching fundamentals too ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-28, 09:20

duffy munn wrote:

Good morning Bob. Do you think our coaches should stop coaching fundamentals too ?
I don't know man.. I think people should just do what makes them happy. As long as they're not hurting themselves or others.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-28, 13:45

duffy munn wrote:

Alright then. I guess we're done here.

BTW, my concern was directed toward the TV guys, not really at our coaches. I expect they know how and when to address Cook's mechanics.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-28, 13:52

Duffy and Dwags, a question for you: if the answer to all things is "trust the coaches" why do we need message boards, talk shows, pre-game and post game shows, press conferences, ect. ??

We can sweep a lot of stuff away by just "trusting our coaches". Is that the idea here? If so, why do you post?
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-10-28, 13:53

As long as we're bitching, my pet peeve is that Nick Hill only got three carries in his last game against u of m. It's a minor irritation, is all.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-10-28, 13:56

Floyd Robertson wrote:As long as we're bitching, my pet peeve is that Nick Hill only got three carries in his last game against u of m. It's a minor irritation, is all.

Nick Hill sucks and the only reason we see him out there is that he is a senior. Please. Stop it.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-10-28, 14:13

Vlad wrote:Duffy and Dwags, a question for you: if the answer to all things is "trust the coaches" why do we need message boards, talk shows, pre-game and post game shows, press conferences, ect. ??

We can sweep a lot of stuff away by just "trusting our coaches". Is that the idea here? If so, why do you post?

You way over generalize because well, I just think you're very stupid about many things sport. I guess my question to you in this regard is would you have yoru team keep shooting free throws in practice, if they're shooting 85%? Who is "fixing" his footwork? From day one you work on planting back foot, stepping through, pointing at where you're throwing, squaring shoulders to line of scrimmage etc. Why wouldn't you keep working on the fundamentals in practice? It's what has made you good. Talk to Dantonio, he says "routine, routine, routine." You work with your position coach and during that time you always go over fundamentals. Why would you change practice in that manner?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-10-28, 14:16

Vlad wrote:

How, exactly, would you run a practice? Stand around and run plays? I think we have a misunderstanding of how a practice is run. Would you have your lineman stop working the sled in technique drills because we dont' give up sacks? Help me out coach, you might be onto something big here.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-28, 14:25

do we practice for how officiating, ESPN, the Blue Wall, the SEC or Delaney is going to screw us over? If so, how?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-10-28, 14:28

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Nick Hill sucks and the only reason we see him out there is that he is a senior. Please. Stop it.

You mad, bro?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-10-28, 14:28

1) You don't dramatically change someone's technique midseason, but they are always looking to correct minor flaws whether it's a pitching coach, a golf swing guru or I would assume a QB coach.

2) Agree the refs are clown shows. Give them the authority to punish obvious dirty hits and they start flagging stuff that is borderline at best.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-28, 14:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:do we practice for how officiating, ESPN, the Blue Wall, the SEC or Delaney is going to screw us over? If so, how?
We use tBob.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-10-28, 14:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:do we practice for how officiating, ESPN, the Blue Wall, the SEC or Delaney is going to screw us over? If so, how?

I yell at random kids passing by my house. I think it keeps me pretty sharp during the week.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-28, 15:05

DWags wrote:

I yell at random kids passing by my house. I think it keeps me pretty sharp during the week.
I got two things to bitch about! 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-28, 15:06

InTenSity wrote:
We use tBob.
just throw me out like a piece of meat.... I got two things to bitch about! 4198636888
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next