Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got two things to bitch about!

+11
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Herbie Green
duffy munn
MiamiSpartan
SeeRockCity
75alum
LoneWolfSparty
Rocinante
Vlad
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I got two things to bitch about! - Page 2 Empty Re: I got two things to bitch about!

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-28, 15:23

It's not about changing Cook's throwing motion or his style. He knows this stuff, and most of his passes have him planting his feet and using correct motion. Sometimes he slips from that into bad habits. He tends to do this more on touch passes or when he sees something open up and tries to throw quickly while it's still open.

Practice and repetition create muscle memory, so that your body does things pretty much automatically, without the QB thinking about his technique. A QB can always slip back into bad habits, which is why you continually drill the fundamentals. The more times you do it, the less chances of bad habits creeping in. Same with technique of DBs, WRs, DL, OL, kickers, punters, everyone.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I got two things to bitch about! - Page 2 Empty Re: I got two things to bitch about!

Post by DWags 2014-10-28, 15:44

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Practice and repetition create muscle memory, so that your body does things pretty much automatically, without the QB thinking about his technique. A QB can always slip back into bad habits, which is why you continually drill the fundamentals. The more times you do it, the less chances of bad habits creeping in. Same with technique of DBs, WRs, DL, OL, kickers, punters, everyone.

Yep
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-10-28, 15:46

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Nick Hill sucks and the only reason we see him out there is that he is a senior. Please. Stop it.

You're kidding right?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-28, 18:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:As long as we're bitching, my pet peeve is that Nick Hill only got three carries in his last game against u of m. It's a minor irritation, is all.

I'm with ya on that one Floyd! This will upset Dwags and Duff a lot, because here I go questioning the coaches again...but you're right, those garbage time caries should've gone to Hill. Why risk your starting RB at that stage??

(And yes, it's nice to be able to worry about such issues when you're sitting at 7-1. I'll keep it in perspective.)
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-28, 18:39

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Nick Hill sucks and the only reason we see him out there is that he is a senior. Please. Stop it.

Gotta disagree this year. He's running hard and finding the yards. Plus, we need someone to share the load.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-28, 18:47

DWags wrote:

How, exactly, would you run a practice?   Stand around and run plays?   I think we have a misunderstanding of how a practice is run.   Would you have your lineman stop working the sled in technique drills because we dont' give up sacks?    Help me out coach, you might be onto something big here.  

Well friend, you're a lot closer to the game than I am, as we both often reminder others.  I've never ran a football practice before, so I can't speak from a position of authority, but from what I've heard, IT"S WHEN THINGS BREAK DOWN that coaches talk about "going back to the fundamentals" (blocking, tackling, technique, etc.).  They normally don't mention it in mid-season if things are going well, and I think 7-1 qualifies as "well'.

Now, don't take that to an extreme.  I'm not suggesting that fundamentals are ignored during the course of the season. Of course they're not!  The players would revert to bad habits real fast if that were to happen.

What I'm talking about here is the very specific issue of a QB's footwork (or release or whatever).  If he hasn't fixed it in THREE AND A HALF YEARS, and if that QB Whisperer named George Whitfield hasn't been able to fix it, then chances are that it ain't gonna get fixed during mid-week practices!  Does that make any sense to you?  Probably not, but that's ok.

That's really all I wanted to say on that particular topic.  (Wait...one more thing:  I trust the coaches.  I'm just saying...don't fu ck with it now.  Just wait 'til the end of the season.)

Last edited by Vlad on 2014-10-28, 18:54; edited 1 time in total
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-28, 18:51

DWags wrote:

I yell at random kids passing by my house. I think it keeps me pretty sharp during the week.

(I don't think he's kidding Bob.)
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-10-28, 20:18

Vlad wrote:

Well friend, you're a lot closer to the game than I am, as we both often reminder others.  I've never ran a football practice before, so I can't speak from a position of authority, but from what I've heard, IT"S WHEN THINGS BREAK DOWN that coaches talk about "going back to the fundamentals" (blocking, tackling, technique, etc.).  They normally don't mention it in mid-season if things are going well, and I think 7-1 qualifies as "well'.

Now, don't take that to an extreme.  I'm not suggesting that fundamentals are ignored during the course of the season. Of course they're not!  The players would revert to bad habits real fast if that were to happen.

What I'm talking about here is the very specific issue of a QB's footwork (or release or whatever).  If he hasn't fixed it in THREE AND A HALF YEARS, and if that QB Whisperer named George Whitfield hasn't been able to fix it, then chances are that it ain't gonna get fixed during mid-week practices!  Does that make any sense to you?  Probably not, but that's ok.

That's really all I wanted to say on that particular topic.  (Wait...one more thing:  I trust the coaches.  I'm just saying...don't fu ck with it now.  Just wait 'til the end of the season.)

They aren't "****ing" with it is the point. If you re-watch the game and see Cook over throw Mumphrey and miss high on a couple passes that could have been killer for us, the coaches won't say "drop your elbow 45 degrees here and use this motion" as much as they'll point out where he released the ball, or that his foot wasn't planted properly and it sailed on him. It's not that they're trying to re-invent the wheel, it's that they're reminding him of the things he does outstanding he didn't do on particular throws because his mechanics broke down. You notice how a lot of QB's have a brace on their left knee? It's their plant knee, it's not that their knees are bad at all. (however I believe that having that brace on his plant knee vs. JSU saved the season for him because he was wearing it. ) But these kids wear them because we expect them to step, plant and follow through when they can. It's just a fundamental thing that we want our guys to do. It's no different than correcting a lineman who stands up too quickly and has let a man go buy him for a sack. They'll work on reminding him of his fundamentals there too. So would the qb guru he worked with after a game.

Maybe you think they're trying to change his whole throwing motion. I dont' see how they would have time in a 3 hour practice to do that. But if they are, I wouldn't be changing it at this point either. I just think you might be misinterpreting what they said. Maybe I am. But Fundamentals are always worked on daily in position groups. And I mean from getting the ball tto drop backs to plants and throws. It's jsut what they do.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-10-28, 20:22

Vlad wrote:

I'm with ya on that one Floyd!  This will upset Dwags and Duff a lot, because here I go questioning the coaches again...but you're right, those garbage time caries should've gone to Hill.  Why risk your starting RB at that stage??

(And yes, it's nice to be able to worry about such issues when you're sitting at 7-1.  I'll keep it in perspective.)

I know you have a huge boner for me because of the past Vlad, and that's fine, but anyone who has watched a game with me knows I critique coaches to them and tell them,, in my ignorance, I would do something differently.   I think they misuse players in losses and in wins.  I just don't see the need to come on a message board and create such a big deal over something minor to stir the pot.  You've said in threads, that's what you enjoy doing.  You've admitted you like to come on here and tweak those guys who are upset with a loss to get them even more upset. It's your personality and  I get that. .  Have at it.  I've never seen the need to come on here, and bitch about shit I don't really know about.   It's a great board, and you're allowed to do it.  I know you will.  I look forward to the first thread you start when we lose our next game.   Onward.

Last edited by DWags on 2014-10-28, 23:13; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-10-28, 21:32

Vlad wrote:Duffy and Dwags, a question for you: if the answer to all things is "trust the coaches" why do we need message boards, talk shows, pre-game and post game shows, press conferences, ect. ??

We can sweep a lot of stuff away by just "trusting our coaches". Is that the idea here? If so, why do you post?

Message boards, talk shows etc have there place.

In your case, it's a forum to consistently post idiotic ideas. And rip "your" team even as they are winning.

The flip side of this is for others to call you out as a clueless dumbass. It's fun.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-10-28, 22:11

Vlad wrote:

I'm with ya on that one Floyd! This will upset Dwags and Duff a lot, because here I go questioning the coaches again...but you're right, those garbage time caries should've gone to Hill. Why risk your starting RB at that stage??

(And yes, it's nice to be able to worry about such issues when you're sitting at 7-1. I'll keep it in perspective.)

Garbage time?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-29, 08:25

Vlad wrote:

(I don't think he's kidding Bob.)
Shocked

actually, DWags and I go way back... didn't speak to him but he looked like a fairly rational, somewhat put-together dude.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-29, 15:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote: Shocked

actually, DWags and I go way back... didn't speak to him but he looked like a fairly rational, somewhat put-together dude.

Don't we all?? That is, until you start reading our crazy message board posts??
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-29, 15:29

Vlad wrote:

Don't we all?? That is, until you start reading our crazy message board posts??
I got two things to bitch about! - Page 2 502811600

people think I'm some sort of pot-smokin' hippie.. I got two things to bitch about! - Page 2 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-29, 21:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote: I got two things to bitch about! - Page 2 502811600

people think I'm some sort of pot-smokin' hippie.. I got two things to bitch about! - Page 2 2599972566

Well?? Aren't you?? That's why I took a liking to you Bob!
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-30, 08:44

Vlad wrote:

Well?? Aren't you?? That's why I took a liking to you Bob!
just because I lean to the left politically doesn't mean I'm some hippie.. and I haven't smoked weed (or anything else) in over 25 years.

not sure how these things get perpetuated.. I got two things to bitch about! - Page 2 2599972566

but I like you too - you're a great American and damn fine Spartan.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2014-10-30, 08:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
just because I lean to the left politically doesn't mean I'm some hippie.. and I haven't smoked weed (or anything else) in over 25 years.

not sure how these things get perpetuated.. I got two things to bitch about! - Page 2 2599972566

but I like you too - you're a great American and damn fine Spartan.

Thanks Bob! More flower-power to both of us!! flower afro
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2