Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rolling Stone Calling out ESPN

+11
Ass Dan
Jethro Bodeen
Robert J Sakimano
Frank Ricard
kingstonlake
Izzo Court
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rolling Stone Calling out ESPN - Page 2 Empty Re: Rolling Stone Calling out ESPN

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-30, 13:28

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Does ESPN influence you?

Of course it does. And it influences you too. The media influences us whether we even realize it or not.

In the case of ESPN I think it influences me to hate the SEC, NY Yankees, Tim Tebow and every story they cram down my throat. I try not to watch anything but the actual games. I even put the last one on mute because of Ed Cunningham. But it is impossible to completely avoid.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Rolling Stone Calling out ESPN - Page 2 Empty Re: Rolling Stone Calling out ESPN

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-10-30, 13:33

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Ok, so the committee will be influenced by ESPN, but most fans are not?

You just quoted me showing a fan influenced...
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-30, 13:57

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

You just quoted me showing a fan influenced...
And I said "most" fans are not (and I'm referring to serious fans, not casual fans).

Edit: And who says poster Izzo Court is influenced by the ESPN? Is it not possible to think that the SEC has good teams without it being due to what ESPN tells you? I mean, they have won the national title 7 of the last 8 years. It doesn't take ESPN to tell you that the top of the SEC has been very very good.

Last edited by MiamiSpartan on 2014-10-30, 14:05; edited 1 time in total
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-30, 13:59

Herbie Green wrote:

Of course it does. And it influences you too. The media influences us whether we even realize it or not.

In the case of ESPN I think it influences me to hate the SEC, NY Yankees, Tim Tebow and every story they cram down my throat. I try not to watch anything but the actual games. I even put the last one on mute because of Ed Cunningham. But it is impossible to completely avoid.
So if it makes you more negative on the SEC, why can't it make the committee more negative on the SEC? My point is, that they don't influence you to want to suck off everything SEC, so why would they have that effect on people that actually know the game better than 99.999% of fans?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-10-30, 14:03

MiamiSpartan wrote:
And I said "most" fans are not (and I'm referring to serious fans, not casual fans).

You are influenced by ESPN. We all are.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-30, 14:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

You are influenced by ESPN. We all are.
Always fun to take posts out of context, isn't it? Clearly I was talking about ESPN influencing us to believe that the SEC is almighty powerful.

Clearly everyone here is arguing that the SEC is not as super duper as ESPN tells us (and I agree with you all). But why then, would the committee be so less astute than us fans?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-10-30, 14:09

I am influenced by ESPN
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-10-30, 14:27

Ass Dan wrote:I am influenced by ESPN
But you're an Ass, Dan.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-10-30, 14:56

I don't see the point of arguing over whether or not ESPN influences the committee. If they do, then everyone not in the SEC is screwed. If they don't, then everyone not in the SEC is screwed. Either way, the committee clearly thinks a lot of the SEC and it's going to take a lot to overcome that obstacle.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-30, 15:07

I really think they need some type of RPI.

If team A is undefeated but their opponents are 9-72, are they better than team B that has 1 loss, but their opponents are 65-16? Do you need to go back one more game? I don't know and I'm no statistician. To me, on paper, the team with 1 loss looks a lot stronger than the undefeated team.

What if Team A is Alabama and team B is Boise State, once you lift that paper and put a name behind it, subconsciously Bama has to be the better team. They've had the best recruiting classes for the last 10 years, especially over Boise. 

Does CFB need to go the way of European soccer? Have an elite division for the top 2 or 3 teams from each division, lowest 4 get replaced by new ones? There really is no objective way to crown a champion in NCAA Div 1 Football. Div 2 though has no problems.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-10-30, 15:21

InTenSity wrote:
Can you link me a post in which you are optimistic?
First off MSU needs to win out the season, second win the championship game. The SEC teams are going to knock each other out. The Mississippi's might have started out hot and then maybe they revert to themselves, weren't they both around .500 last year? Bama can only use the excuse of being disappointed about not making the Championship game, for so long, they haven't beaten a ranked team since last year. 

FF prediction - Auburn, Oregon, KSU, MSU

The best thing that could happen for MSU would be KSU winning the Big 12. It would guarantee no Big 12 rep in the final four. KSU lost to Auburn at home. Auburn is perceived as one of the final four front runners. KSU couldn't beat them at home. You can't get a bigger advantage than that. The only logical conclusion for the committee is that they would fair no better at a neutral site or faux home game for a southern team. The argument can be made that the MSU loss to Oregon would have been different at a neutral site.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-10-31, 00:00

MiamiSpartan wrote:
So if it makes you more negative on the SEC, why can't it make the committee more negative on the SEC? My point is, that they don't influence you to want to suck off everything SEC, so why would they have that effect on people that actually know the game better than 99.999% of fans?

I can say whatever I want. Maybe 20 people are reading my posts.

Barry Alverez's opinion means $50 million dollars go to one school over another. I am sure he could not possibly be influenced by ESPN/popular opinion.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-10-31, 00:17

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Edit: And who says poster Izzo Court is influenced by the ESPN? Is it not possible to think that the SEC has good teams without it being due to what ESPN tells you? I mean, they have won the national title 7 of the last 8 years. It doesn't take ESPN to tell you that the top of the SEC has been very very good.

Did you read the articles posted?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-10-31, 06:45

InTenSity wrote:I really think they need some type of RPI.

If team A is undefeated but their opponents are 9-72, are they better than team B that has 1 loss, but their opponents are 65-16? Do you need to go back one more game? I don't know and I'm no statistician. To me, on paper, the team with 1 loss looks a lot stronger than the undefeated team.

What if Team A is Alabama and team B is Boise State, once you lift that paper and put a name behind it, subconsciously Bama has to be the better team. They've had the best recruiting classes for the last 10 years, especially over Boise. 

Does CFB need to go the way of European soccer? Have an elite division for the top 2 or 3 teams from each division, lowest 4 get replaced by new ones? There really is no objective way to crown a champion in NCAA Div 1 Football. Div 2 though has no problems.

I bet the committee has all sorts of computer generated rankings to help them form their own rankings...probably like the Basketball committee uses.

Much ado about nothing. A 1 loss Big Ten team will make the playoff. A 2 loss team won't (and probably doesn't deserve to).

The SEC teams will start dropping this week.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2