Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think scUM has created their own General Motors......

+5
Rodeo Burger
xsanguine
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
kingstonlake
9 posters

Go down

I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... Empty I think scUM has created their own General Motors......

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 08:12

Basically, to big to fail. They have pushed all in with the ridiculous spending and facilities construction, funded by donations all hinged on football success. Now, as the football program is an utter embarrassment, the Falcon and the Snowman are on the way out, what now? Donors keep dumping $$ into GM to keep it afloat, or let it fail and build from the ground up?

You have an academic President, rumored to be sniffing AD's from Ivy league schools, while the dunderhead fan base is calling for 7-10 million dollar coaches annually. There is a fork in the road. I think Schlissel sees a program with some less than ethical operations academically and socially. He either has to reign it in or go all SEC. You are either going to be a university with a football program, or a football program with a university (borrowed phrase but spot on). Finding a even keel is very hard (MSU).

You go Fitzgerald or Harbaugh. One thing people don't realize about Harbaugh. He does it the MSU way in the NCAA. He recruited kids with something to prove at Stanford, not kids who think they've already proved it, like scUM does. I think Schlissel goes conservative on the AD and coach hire. Goes back to 8-4, 9-3 football and the fanbase ca go back to making much more of themselves than the rest of the country does. Otherwise you risk a complete implosion with those records @ $8 million a year for a coach. Which ever way he goes, you will have a divided fanbase, those that only care about a football program built on a fraud, or one that values the academic end of the university and a football program that is competitive and scandal free.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... Empty Re: I think scUM has created their own General Motors......

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-04, 08:20

I, too, am really upset by what they're doing..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... Empty Re: I think scUM has created their own General Motors......

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 08:25

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I, too, am really upset by what they're doing..

I alone, am thoroughly enjoying it.

So you either, A.) didn't read my post. B.) Have comprehension issues. C.) Got your troll turbo charger fixed.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-04, 08:28

kingstonlake wrote:

I alone, am thoroughly enjoying it.

So you either, A.) didn't read my post. B.) Have comprehension issues. C.) Got your troll turbo charger fixed.
this..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-11-04, 09:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I, too, am really upset by what they're doing..

I've always enjoyed a good cluster fuck. That it's happening in Ann Arbor makes it funnier. What is it when you like it when somebody besides you is ****ing up? Is that psychopath or Schadenfreude, I forget the term.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-11-04, 09:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:this..

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-11-04, 10:01

Even the Walmart slappy radio hosts are calling for UM to publically offer Harbaugh $7-10MM a year and force him to take it or turn it down. In other words, give an alum a 40-100% pay raise in order to get him to "come home" and "save the program".

If the job is so appealing, why would they need to pay millions more than any other school in the country to get a good coach?

I just can't see the new prez going along with that, unless the salary for the football coach was paid for out of a new, dedicated endowment. Even then, I don't think he wants to be the guy who escalated the arms race in college athletics.

Besides the massive construction products taken on by UM, Brandon also expanded the staff of the UM AD by quite a bit, and raised salaries by a huge amount. There are some legacy costs there that will be hard to carry if they retain current staffing.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-04, 10:01

DWags wrote:
What is it when you like it when somebody besides you is ****ing up? Is that psychopath or Schadenfreude, I forget the term.
nedgo? I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 2599972566

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 10:13

Rodeo Burger wrote:Even the Walmart slappy radio hosts are calling for UM to publically offer Harbaugh $7-10MM a year and force him to take it or turn it down. In other words, give an alum a 40-100% pay raise in order to get him to "come home" and "save the program".

If the job is so appealing, why would they need to pay millions more than any other school in the country to get a good coach?

I just can't see the new prez going along with that, unless the salary for the football coach was paid for out of a new, dedicated endowment. Even then, I don't think he wants to be the guy who escalated the arms race in college athletics.

Besides the massive construction products taken on by UM, Brandon also expanded the staff of the UM AD by quite a bit, and raised salaries by a huge amount. There are some legacy costs there that will be hard to carry if they retain current staffing.

Excellent points. 7-10 million HAS to get you 11-1, 10-2, every single year. Anything less guarantees you an operating loss annually.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 11:06

Youvfail to understand just how much expendable income um alumni have. They are some rich fuckers. The cash will keep flowing.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-11-04, 11:27

kingstonlake wrote:Basically, to big to fail. They have pushed all in with the ridiculous spending and facilities construction, funded by donations all hinged on football success. Now, as the football program is an utter embarrassment, the Falcon and the Snowman are on the way out, what now? Donors keep dumping $$ into GM to keep it afloat, or let it fail and build from the ground up?

You have an academic President, rumored to be sniffing AD's from Ivy league schools, while the dunderhead fan base is calling for 7-10 million dollar coaches annually. There is a fork in the road. I think Schlissel sees a program with some less than ethical operations academically and socially. He either has to reign it in or go all SEC. You are either going to be a university with a football program, or a football program with a university (borrowed phrase but spot on). Finding a even keel is very hard (MSU).

You go Fitzgerald or Harbaugh. One thing people don't realize about Harbaugh. He does it the MSU way in the NCAA. He recruited kids with something to prove at Stanford, not kids who think they've already proved it, like scUM does. I think Schlissel goes conservative on the AD and coach hire. Goes back to 8-4, 9-3 football and the fanbase ca go back to making much more of themselves than the rest of the country does. Otherwise you risk a complete implosion with those records @ $8 million a year for a coach. Which ever way he goes, you will have a divided fanbase, those that only care about a football program built on a fraud, or one that values the academic end of the university and a football program that is competitive and scandal free.

Rein.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 11:28

Rocinante wrote:Youvfail to understand just how much expendable income um alumni have. They are some rich fuckers. The cash will keep flowing.

And that is precisely what Dave Brandon thought. How'd that work out for him? Donors are speaking with their wallets, and closing them.

People don't amass wealth just to be stupid with it. As the shine continues to erode, so will the value of saying you help fund it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 11:31

LooseGoose wrote:

Rein.

Well, you at least read to the halfway point. Douche.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-04, 11:34

We are playing OSU this week in the biggest game of the year. And your mindset is "I am going to write an esssay about UM comparing them to GM"
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-04, 11:43

Herbie Green wrote:
We are playing OSU this week in the biggest game of the year. And your mindset is "I am going to write an esssay about UM comparing them to GM"
no offense, but I think you fail to understand how important UM is to some of us..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 11:47

Herbie Green wrote:

I apologize for not masturbating to every highlight in the series, on the hour, all week. Please tell me what I can post that will help the squad win Saturday night. Just thought I'd start a topic on a board with less traffic than Hiroshima at 8:15 am on Aug 6th 1945
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 11:49

kingstonlake wrote:

And that is precisely what Dave Brandon thought. How'd that work out for him? Donors are speaking with their wallets, and closing them.

People don't amass wealth just to be stupid with it. As the shine continues to erode, so will the value of saying you help fund it.

Link to evidence that the boosters aren't giving?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 11:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:no offense, but I think you fail to understand how important UM is to some of us..

As is board trolling to others...

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 12:00

Rocinante wrote:

Who said they aren't giving? I people won't continue to give towards a failing product. You seem to feel otherwise. Empty seats, ticket giveaways, and no waiting lists for seasons tickets seem to disagree
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias 2014-11-04, 12:06

Rocinante wrote:

Perhaps the fact there the waiting list for season tickets no longer exists
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-11-04, 12:10

kingstonlake wrote:

Well, you at least read to the halfway point. Douche.

I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 1966794946 Jeebus I was just poking you.

I actually read the whole damn thing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 12:14

kingstonlake wrote:

Who said they aren't giving? I people won't continue to give towards a failing product. You seem to feel otherwise. Empty seats, ticket giveaways, and no waiting lists for seasons tickets seem to disagree

That's different money than the donations that go toward facilities. Season tickets are expensive, but the real money behind the UM athletic program isn't tied to season tix. It's tied to boosters who give regardless, and will for at least the next decade trying to bring the program back. See Ross, Steven, 200 MILLION

If you have a theory, that's great but if it's not backed up by facts, it's just air.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 12:16

LooseGoose wrote:

I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 1966794946 Jeebus I was just poking you.

I actually read the whole damn thing.

My apologies I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 969504605
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 12:20

Rocinante wrote:

That's different money than the donations that go toward facilities. Season tickets are expensive, but the real money behind the UM athletic program isn't tied to season tix. It's tied to boosters who give regardless, and will for at least the next decade trying to bring the program back. See Ross, Steven, 200 MILLION

If you have a theory, that's great but if it's not backed up by facts, it's just air.

Seasons tickets are undoubtedly considered giving to the program. You pay for over priced tickets, food, drink, souvenirs, seat licenses, etc. Again, if you actually think people with brains and money will keep giving towards a failed product, that's fine. Donors are on record saying they won't.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 12:28

Okay except... cough cough 200MILLION cough cough... last year.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 12:41

Rocinante wrote:Okay except... cough cough 200MILLION cough cough... last year.

And even he said he will not interfere with the schools inevitable shit canning of Brandon. Apparently he doesn't want to be the sole donor to the program.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-11-04, 14:57

kingstonlake wrote:

My apologies I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 969504605

I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 969504605 I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 2267303065 Now let's fight over kissing the S.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-04, 15:16

LooseGoose wrote:

I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 969504605 I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 2267303065 Now let's fight over kissing the S.
let's call people names who have different opinions than ours.. I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 2014-11-04, 15:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:let's call people names who have different opinions than ours.. I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 969504605
Robert J Sakimano wrote:let's call people names who have different opinions than ours.. I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 969504605

and you do it so well...... I think scUM has created their own General Motors...... 1486952199
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-11-11, 11:59

I'm very happy to see Schlissel's concerns over the athletic culture at scUM running amok. He needs to clamp down on those rogues and hard.

During the candid 40-minute talk, Schlissel expressed concerns regarding several aspects of the University’s athletic culture, including the academic qualifications of some student-athletes recruited to play for University teams, particularly the football team.

“We admit students who aren’t as qualified, and it’s probably the kids that we admit that can’t honestly, even with lots of help, do the amount of work and the quality of work it takes to make progression from year to year,” he said. “These past two years have gotten better, but before that, the graduation rates were terrible, with football somewhere in the 50s and 60s when our total six-year rate at the University is somewhere near 90 percent, so that’s a challenge.”

Schlissel also addressed the motivations for athletic departments to value performance over academic integrity.

“The incentives are really strong for them to be as successful on the field as possible, and some of those are in dollars and others are in performance,” he said. “If we had won Nobel Prizes this year, we wouldn’t have gotten as much attention as did our A.D. It’s sad but it’s really true.”

Schlissel added that Curzan said the Athletic Department “often tries to keep her at arm’s length,” expressing frustration regarding the marginalization of faculty governance in these matters.

“That’s why I’m taking a bit of time with the search for Dave’s successor,” Schlissel said. “Some folks wanted me to hire an athletic director (earlier) so he could fire the current football coach and hire the next coach but I want to take the time to make sure we get someone who is not only technically adept, but can ensure that the program has financial and academic integrity, and also someone who shares the value system of realizing our mission.

SACUA member Robert Ziff, an Engineering professor, said he believes student-athletes have an “extreme amount of demands placed on them,” as a result of their status, and that they’re often made to feel that the “$100 million Athletic Program is riding on them,” which could contribute to decreased performance in the classroom and elsewhere.

Schlissel said he understands these concerns and wants to work to make academics more of a priority for student-athletes by enforcing NCAA guidelines that cap the number of hours they can practice and compete.

http://www.michigandaily.com/article/schlissel-talks-athletics-and-administration-sacua
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down