Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear Playoff Committee:

+5
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
Wally Fairway
NigelUno
9 posters

Go down

Dear Playoff Committee: Empty Dear Playoff Committee:

Post by NigelUno 2014-11-05, 09:07

Get it together. Enough with the "eyeball test".

How do you rank Alabama above TCU? TCU has a better resume.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Dear Playoff Committee: Empty Re: Dear Playoff Committee:

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-11-05, 09:24

NigelUno wrote:Get it together. Enough with the "eyeball test".

How do you rank Alabama above TCU? TCU has a better resume.
TCU has a better resume - who have they beat in the SEC?
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-11-05, 09:28

Wally Fairway wrote:
TCU has a better resume - who have they beat in the SEC?

If TCU wins and doesn't jump Bama next week, the committee will have some splainin to do.

For the record, I think Bama would beat the hell out of TCU.

I hope both Bama and TCU lose this week.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-11-05, 09:49

Rexrode had an excellent piece on this today. Would love to see some of the national honks debate it.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/joe-rexrode/2014/11/05/hey-joe-blog-playoff-rankings-msu/18513469/
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-11-05, 10:01

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Rexrode had an excellent piece on this today. Would love to see some of the national honks debate it.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/joe-rexrode/2014/11/05/hey-joe-blog-playoff-rankings-msu/18513469/

I still think they'll only take 1 SEC team when all is said and done (barring a bunch of 2 loss conference champ teams).

FSU, Oregon, SEC Champ, and one more.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-11-05, 10:54

Alabama is getting away with fraud this year
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-11-05, 11:06

I for the most part have tuned this stuff out. What am I missing?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-11-05, 11:08

steveschneider wrote:I for the most part have tuned this stuff out. What am I missing?

We are f ucked
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-05, 11:09

steveschneider wrote:I for the most part have tuned this stuff out. What am I missing?
everyone cheats.. ESPN sucks.. and so does the SEC.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-11-05, 11:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Alabama is getting away with fraud this year

Nov 22 they play Western Carolina...will be interesting to see what the committee does (99% chance they move up) for beating up on them
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-11-05, 11:29

I used to think that "all" the Spartans had to do to get into the playoff was win their remaining games; but then I looked at some schedules and I realized that if they win out the marquee wins for MSU will be over Nebraska and tOSU.

The Nebraska win would have been very impressive, had it not been for the last 5 1/2 minutes of the game where the Cornshuckers tried to steal a victory and fell short.
Winning against the Bucknuts will be required, but given the chance - even at the end of the game - MSU needs to put up points and have this be an impressive win.
Why?
1 - because it is at home, and that lessens the impact of a narrow victory
2- to try to show that the 4th qtr letdown (foot off the gas) is no longer part of this team
3 - media bias away from the B1G conference

As long as the B1G is viewed as a mediocre conference overall (and they are - thanks Maryland, Rutgers, PSU, Michy and the entire Western division), then the top teams will have to step up and play more than 1 good OOC game
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-05, 11:34

I think Alabama is the best team in the country. I also think they should be ranked about #10 right now.

West Virginia has somehow become the most important team in college football.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-05, 11:38

And while Rexrode makes a good point about scheduling people seem to overlook the fact that if you schedule a good opponent you don't have to lose the game. Look at where Oregon is.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-11-05, 11:53

Herbie Green wrote:And while Rexrode makes a good point about scheduling people seem to overlook the fact that if you schedule a good opponent you don't have to lose the game. Look at where Oregon is.

I wonder where Nebraska would be ranked if they beat us. Or if they had UM on the schedule instead of us (and were undefeated).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-11-05, 12:07

Rex's tweets last night had a very simple point. If MSU had scheduled a mediocre power 5 OOC game (or even a MAC patsy) instead of Oregon, they would be top 3 right now and sitting pretty. So the committee's message about rewarding for tough scheduling was a bunch of bunk, intentional or non intentional.

Wojo tried to argue that they wouldn't necessarily be top 3, but he's wrong. Look at FSU. Yes, FSU won the NC last year, but MSU finished 3rd. FSU played Okie St, but it turns out they are a mediocre/bad Power 5 conference team. You can't really count ND because FSU was top 2 all year. MSU definitely WOULD be top 3 right now if they were undefeated.

That sends a bad message.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-05, 12:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Rex's tweets last night had a very simple point. If MSU had scheduled a mediocre power 5 OOC game (or even a MAC patsy) instead of Oregon, they would be top 3 right now and sitting pretty. So the committee's message about rewarding for tough scheduling was a bunch of bunk, intentional or non intentional.

Wojo tried to argue that they wouldn't necessarily be top 3, but he's wrong. Look at FSU. Yes, FSU won the NC last year, but MSU finished 3rd. FSU played Okie St, but it turns out they are a mediocre/bad Power 5 conference team. You can't really count ND because FSU was top 2 all year. MSU definitely WOULD be top 3 right now if they were undefeated.

plus, FSU rapes students and ND kills student managers.. gotta factor that in.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-05, 15:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Rex's tweets last night had a very simple point. If MSU had scheduled a mediocre power 5 OOC game (or even a MAC patsy) instead of Oregon, they would be top 3 right now and sitting pretty. So the committee's message about rewarding for tough scheduling was a bunch of bunk, intentional or non intentional.

How does he know the committee wouldn't in fact have MSU in the same place at #8 if they played CMU instead of Oregon? How about if MSU played Illinois instead of Nebraska? Are they still #3? If you extended his theory to the extreme then Marshall would be ranked #3 right now. FSU isn't the best example because they did actually beat ND and OSU. If MSU did that and was undefeated, then yes they would be no lower than #3.

I mostly playing devil's advocate here, but his simple point has no simple alternative solution under this 4-team system. And it is based on a hypothetical situation that doesn't exist.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-11-05, 16:14

It's the long con, my friends. Wait until they release the final rankings on December 7 or whenever it is and there are NO SEC teams in the playoff. ESPN will go ballistic, but powerless, as it will already be locked in. Bank on it, bitches!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down