Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected

+17
WhiteBoyHatcher
Loose Stools
Other Teams Pursuing That
Floyd Robertson
SeeRockCity
Dr. Strangelove
Robert J Sakimano
Brock Middlebrook
Jake from State Farm
kingstonlake
Rocinante
steveschneider
tig ol bitties
The_Dude
NigelUno
Code_Warrior
InTenSity
21 posters

Go down

Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected Empty Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected

Post by InTenSity Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:13 am

ACC Commissioner wants to get to an 8 team playoff system in the very near future. This is the way it has to go, especially if the committee is going to be influenced as much as they are by ESPN. Their love of the SEC is unfortunately, wrong. I'm pretty sure that at least 2 more commissioner's will be on board if the SEC gets their 2 teams in, not to mention all the non major conferences.

ACC Commish wants 8 teams.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected Empty Re: Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected

Post by Code_Warrior Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Would need to see how the 4 playoff games would be implemented.  Up to now, I've assumed that the 4 team scenario would cause problems for fan bases having to choose which bowl game to go to.  With 8 teams, that problem is compounded if they use 4 bowl games to have the 8 team playoff, 2 bowl games for the semi-finals and then the national championship game.  That takes up 6 bowl games and I would think that would be resisted by the bowls.

I can see an 8 team scenario if the top 4 teams get an additional home game against the bottom 4 teams then they take the 4 winners into the current 4 team playoff using the bowls.

Last edited by Code_Warrior on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected Empty Re: Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected

Post by NigelUno Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:30 pm

I think there is a 12 year TV contract for a 4 team playoff.

My guess is that contract gets revised after the 3rd Year to an 8 team playoff.

Champs of BigTen, SEC, ACC, Pac12, Big12 make it, plus 3 Wild Cards.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Of course is will expand. More money.

But yeah, 8 teams is the way to go. Conference champs are in and then 3 at large. Very little room for bitching because there wont be any conference winners left out.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tig ol bitties Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 pm

I wish everyone would man up and stop sucking up to the bowls. get games on campuses and bid out the final.
tig ol bitties
tig ol bitties
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 pm

The_Dude wrote:Of course is will expand. More money.

But yeah, 8 teams is the way to go. Conference champs are in and then 3 at large. Very little room for bitching because there wont be any conference winners left out.
I guarantee you we will find something to bitch about..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I guarantee you we will find something to bitch about..

True. But if you dont win your conference, there will be zero sympathy if you get left out.

Its like the NCAA tourney...hey 68 teams get in...no one feels sorry that you couldnt be a top 68 team but people still bitch about the bubble.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:12 pm

ACC guy wants it because he realizes if FSU loses a game, they will be out (and no ACC team will get in).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I guarantee you we will find something to bitch about..

He's going to turn this thread into race or politics.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Why not do it like FCS guys? Their playoff system has a seeding system and the lower seeds go to the higher seeds field. That could be the first round. Who wouldn't be stoked to go to an extra game at Spartan Stadium? Even in December?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:39 pm

The_Dude wrote:Of course is will expand. More money.

Typical liberal entitlement mentality. Expand the program and institute a quota system to include at least one school from major conferences to satisfy everyone regardless of their ability.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Rocinante wrote:Why not do it like FCS guys? Their playoff system has a seeding system and the lower seeds go to the higher seeds field. That could be the first round. Who wouldn't be stoked to go to an extra game at Spartan Stadium? Even in December?

An SEC team would scream bloody murder if that scenario ever happened.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Rocinante wrote:Why not do it like FCS guys? Their playoff system has a seeding system and the lower seeds go to the higher seeds field. That could be the first round. Who wouldn't be stoked to go to an extra game at Spartan Stadium? Even in December?

Apparently, everyone with a high def flat screen, furnace, recliner, cold beer in the fridge, and bathroom all within reaching distance.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:03 pm

The_Dude wrote:

True. But if you dont win your conference, there will be zero sympathy if you get left out.
until you don't win your conference and then the SEC, Delaney, Blue Wall, officiating, ESPN, etc.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Quickest way is to have Auburn beat Bama and Mississippi State lose the Egg Bowl and have OSU, Oregon, TCU and Florida State win out. Everybody in SEC has at least 2 losses and they don't get an invite to the playoffs.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:17 pm

kingstonlake wrote:

Typical liberal entitlement mentality. Expand the program and institute a quota system to include at least one school from major conferences to satisfy everyone regardless of their ability.

Razz
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:17 pm

kingstonlake wrote:
The_Dude wrote:Of course is will expand.  More money.

But yeah, 8 teams is the way to go.  Conference champs are in and then 3 at large.  Very little room for bitching because there wont be any conference winners left out.

Typical liberal entitlement mentality.  Expand the program and institute a quota system to include at least one school from major conferences to satisfy everyone regardless of their ability.

To each according to their need, from each according to their ability?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:23 pm

To each according to their need, from each according to their ability.

Hi Karl Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected 328670334
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:00 pm

kingstonlake wrote:

Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected 1966794946 eat a dick, Dude
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
To each according to their need, from each according to their ability.

Hi Karl Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected 328670334

Thought I was quoting Bob.

Sorry.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:10 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:

Sorry.
Suspect
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote: Suspect

Hi Bob
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:25 pm

SeeRockCity wrote:

Sorry.

I thought Bob was a fine American, are you telling me Bob is a commie?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Loose Stools Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:41 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:Would need to see how the 4 playoff games would be implemented.  Up to now, I've assumed that the 4 team scenario would cause problems for fan bases having to choose which bowl game to go to.  With 8 teams, that problem is compounded if they use 4 bowl games to have the 8 team playoff, 2 bowl games for the semi-finals and then the national championship game.  That takes up 6 bowl games and I would think that would be resisted by the bowls.

I can see an 8 team scenario if the top 4 teams get an additional home game against the bottom 4 teams then they take the 4 winners into the current 4 team playoff using the bowls.

They could seed the teams, then contract pro stadiums as close to the highest seed as possible. Do that for the first two rounds, then the championship at the neutral site. Might be a bit of a logistic hassle, but they aren't too many places that wouldn't want that kind of business--even at the last minute.
Loose Stools
Loose Stools
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:27 pm

The correct answer is a 32 team playoff. First two weeks at campus sites. New Year's Day "Big Four" bowls. Then semi-finals and final game follow after.

Might get to 8 teams sooner than expected Captur11
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:42 pm

In for that.

How did we figure out how to stop JT Barrett?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:45 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:In for that.

How did we figure out how to stop JT Barrett?

Notre Dame cheap shot took him out
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Notre Dame cheap shot took him out

Then a very vicious, but clean hit in the first OSU possession against MSU finished his ass off. It was great. Blood everywhere. The MSU fans went wild. I was there.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:39 pm

I don't see why everyone seems to think the committee isn't making their own informed judgement on the rankings rather than being some kind of shill for ESPN. Maybe their influenced by things like this College Football RPI which is pretty close to their rankings. Honestly, I'm not really a believer of the whole ESPN bias anyway. The SEC just happens to be on top of college football right now and ESPN covers the sport. The SEC should be on top of college football, btw. They live, breath and eat that shit down there. It's way more important than pro sports, they have spring ball, they pay their players more.... If anybody, CBS Sports should have the SEC bias. No one seemed to accuse ESPN of having a B1G bias when they couldn't stop talking about how we were the best basketball conference season before last.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 am

I used to think 8 was the answer. Recently, I've been thinking 6 is better. Five conference champs, 1 at large, top two seeds get byes. Conference championship games are a de facto first round. Big 12 needs to have a conference championship game again, then everything works out.

I also think divisions within conferences should fuck off. Top two teams from each conference should square off for the title, regardless of geography. The best two teams in the B1G are in the east, the best two teams in the SEC are in the west. They should play for the conference title. May make scheduling a bit more complicated, but they can work it out. Lots of money at stake, plenty of motivation to do shit right.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:12 am

Cameron wrote:I used to think 8 was the answer. Recently, I've been thinking 6 is better. Five conference champs, 1 at large, top two seeds get byes. Conference championship games are a de facto first round. Big 12 needs to have a conference championship game again, then everything works out.

I also think divisions within conferences should fuck off. Top two teams from each conference should square off for the title, regardless of geography. The best two teams in the B1G are in the east, the best two teams in the SEC are in the west. They should play for the conference title. May make scheduling a bit more complicated, but they can work it out. Lots of money at stake, plenty of motivation to do shit right.

While I'd like to say that the 2 best teams are in the East, I'm not sure you can prove that.  If Wisconsin beat OSU or us, it wouldn't be a huge upset.  They don't have a deep threat, but Gordon can carry the team against anyone.  Wouldn't shock me in the least that they beat OSU, who isn't exactly great against the run after watching them play against us and Minnesota.

We scored 37, left several points on the field, had over 500 total yards, Langford had 137 with a 7.5 ypc and we had no turnovers.  Had someone told that before the game, I would have said we would have won 37-24.  Cobb had a really good game too.  Gordon will gash them.

I like the winners of the divisions playing a conference championship game.  As far as the SEC West is concerned, let 'Bama prove that they are better than UGA.  You don't know until you play the game.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down