Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benching a player with two first half fouls

+5
Chitown_Badger
duffy munn
WhiteBoyHatcher
SawGreen
Herbie Green
9 posters

Go down

Benching a player with two first half fouls Empty Benching a player with two first half fouls

Post by Herbie Green Mon 1 Dec - 20:53

Do you agree with this strategy?

We have already seen Izzo do this several times this season as is his custom. I think he is wrong.

Lets say Dawson gets two first half fouls in the first 10 minutes. You then voluntarily bench him for 10 minutes because he "might" foul out and miss minutes at the end of the game. But you have already self imposed this penalty on something that very well wont happen! The only way to maximize his minutes is to keep playing him. That can not be argued. So then the argument is that points at the end of the game are worth more than points at the beginning which can't possibly be true because they all count the same.
I know it isn't quite that simple but in my anal math mind there is a lot of truth to it.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Benching a player with two first half fouls Empty Re: Benching a player with two first half fouls

Post by SawGreen Mon 1 Dec - 21:02

I wish it wasn't an absolute, and coaches tested the water a bit more. But 2 quick fouls also puts a bullseye on you for the rest of the half. I think 6 fouls would help NCAABB a great deal.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Benching a player with two first half fouls Empty Re: Benching a player with two first half fouls

Post by Herbie Green Mon 1 Dec - 21:30

SawGreen wrote:I wish it wasn't an absolute, and coaches tested the water a bit more. But 2 quick fouls also puts a bullseye on you for the rest of the half. I think 6 fouls would help NCAABB a great deal.

But is that bullseye just part of this mentality? A player in foul trouble is going to play more timid. And they should be more cautious. Or should they?
I am surprised some big coach hasn't completely challenged this line of thinking and said f*** it if he fouls out with 15 minutes left so be it I am coming with all guns a blazing - just like some football coaches will always go for it on fourth down. The math works out overall even if sometimes it makes you look stupid.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Mon 1 Dec - 21:38

Officiating in college basketball is horrid. This shouldn't even be an issue.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon 1 Dec - 22:38

Herbie Green wrote:Do you agree with this strategy?

We have already seen Izzo do this several times this season as is his custom. I think he is wrong.

Lets say Dawson gets two first half fouls in the first 10 minutes. You then voluntarily bench him for 10 minutes because he "might" foul out and miss minutes at the end of the game. But you have already self imposed this penalty on something that very well wont happen! The only way to maximize his minutes is to keep playing him. That can not be argued. So then the argument is that points at the end of the game are worth more than points at the beginning which can't possibly be true because they all count the same.
I know it isn't quite that simple but in my anal math mind there is a lot of truth to it.

In Dawson's case, he will certainly pick up his third within seconds. All Izzo players get called for bullshit fouls. What's your point ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger Mon 1 Dec - 22:40

Kaminsky picked up two quick ones against Oklahoma and Bo yanked him for the rest of the first half. I wouldn't think it's an absolute and assume most coaches will keep the guy out as long as the game stays close. If it starts to get away, the risk of a third foul is worth the potential benefit of staying in the game.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Mon 1 Dec - 22:42

SawGreen wrote:I wish it wasn't an absolute, and coaches tested the water a bit more. But 2 quick fouls also puts a bullseye on you for the rest of the half. I think 6 fouls would help NCAABB a great deal.

Fuck 6 fouls. Refs blow the whistle enough as is. If anything foul shots should start with 10 fouls! This way Ku could play lighting with 14 mins left into the half instead of before the first TV to!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Mon 1 Dec - 23:41

Blanch32 wrote:

Fuck 6 fouls. Refs blow the whistle enough as is. If anything foul shots should start with 10 fouls! This way Ku could play lighting with 14 mins left into the half instead of before the first TV to!

"Lighting"? LOL. At least try to spell the name of the drill correctly. It was after all your highest level of competitive basketball and most 5th graders can spell the word.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood Tue 2 Dec - 5:50

i saw an espn 30 for 30 a couple of days ago. did valvano invent the foul if you are behind at the end of the game strategy?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Tue 2 Dec - 10:15

two words: penalty box

*** this is the end of the two words *******

Power plays would be epic in basketball.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway Tue 2 Dec - 10:51

I understand your take on points, but you are missing the other end of the floor. A player with 2 early first half fouls is likely to play softer on defense, protecting against the 3rd foul, and is likely to give up more points/rebounds on that end of the floor.

I heard an interesting interview with Izzo a year or 2 ago. He made the point that basketball is the only sport that players can be fouled out of the game (excluding major penalties) that a football player can get 5 roughing penalties, a hockey player can get 5 slashing penalties and while the you lose yards/downs and play short handed but the team doesn't lose players. I think he stated he would like to see it go to 6 . . . but quite honestly I only clearly remember him comparing it to the other sports.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down