Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Sony hack fiasco is fascinating!

+10
Code_Warrior
Gomer
Tim Wakefield
Heat Miser
AMwood
LoneWolfSparty
Izzo Court
Floyd Robertson
InTenSity
Rocinante
14 posters

Go down

This Sony hack fiasco is fascinating! Empty This Sony hack fiasco is fascinating!

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-04, 15:59

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/hack-at-sony-pictures-appears-linked-to-north-korea/2014/12/03/6c3c7e3e-7b25-11e4-b821-503cc7efed9e_story.html

The details are looking more and more like this was a N. Korean government sanctioned and financed operation in retaliation for a Seth Rogan movie! This is awesome.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

This Sony hack fiasco is fascinating! Empty Re: This Sony hack fiasco is fascinating!

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-04, 16:03

The attack brought Sony, one of Hollywood’s biggest studios, to a near-standstill last week, forcing employees to use paper and pens instead of their computers. Hackers also deleted files from hard drives, uploaded several unreleased films to the Internet and leaked sensitive personal information regarding thousands of Sony employees.

I don't know why, but I find that hilarious. They were brought to their KNEE'S!! And had to use PEN AND PAPER!!

What movies were released online? This seems like more of a prank that 4chan would try to pull off, rather than a country.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

This Sony hack fiasco is fascinating! Empty Re: This Sony hack fiasco is fascinating!

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-04, 16:06

InTenSity wrote:

I don't know why, but I find that hilarious. They were brought to their KNEE'S!! And had to use PEN AND PAPER!!

What movies were released online? This seems like more of a prank that 4chan would try to pull off, rather than a country.

The only one I recognized was Fury with Bradd Pitt.

The hack was written in Korean, according to some news sources I've read. So.... yeah that's a clue.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-04, 16:09

Rocinante wrote:

The only one I recognized was Fury with Bradd Pitt.

The hack was written in Korean, according to some news sources I've read.  So.... yeah that's a clue.
I don't doubt that NK did the hack. It just seems childish. Then again, that whole country seems childish. It is just a weird place, they know they have no power in the world and desperately want to lash out, but don't want to piss off China at the same time.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-12-04, 16:10

I saw an article yesterday where the links to download all the unreleased films were posted on pastebin and the sizes of the files were in the terabytes.  

Yeah, I'm going to spend days and days downloading terabytes of unreleased films. This Sony hack fiasco is fascinating! 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-04, 16:12

The childish lashing out is exactly why it's so fascinating to me. And I don't think China cares. Chinese companies with implicit or explicit authorization from the government have been the kings of corporate espionage for years.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-04, 16:22

I should write out my full thoughts instead of stopping.

The only way that NK can retaliate to any 'slight' is to act childish. China doesn't care if they hack companies (well non Chinese companies), or even send out press releases condemning certain actions of other countries. What would piss off China, would be shooting down an American airliner or jet, or opening fire on their neighbors. As long as NK is acting like a petulant child, China just says 'meh, whatever'. If NK were to launch a missile at Japan (maybe a bad example), China might be forced to do something.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-12-04, 19:41

Sony just stopped all VHS shipments of "The Cable Guy" to North Korea.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-12-04, 20:17

Roc on the side of the North Koreans....shocking.....
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-04, 21:51

LoneWolfSparty wrote:Roc on the side of the North Koreans....shocking.....

That is not the stupidest thing I've ever read on tswill. Tito has that honor. It's pretty fucking stupid though.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2014-12-05, 04:48

sounds like a marketing stunt by sony to promote the film.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-05, 10:12

That's way too hip for a big corporation to do.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-05, 15:01

Yet again underscoring that fact that big corporations do a shitty jobs of securing your data as well as their own.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-05, 15:06

Heat Miser wrote:Yet again underscoring that fact that big corporations do a shitty jobs of securing your data as well as their own.

Don't most hackers try to 'social' hack first? That would be a bit different with NK hacking into Sony, but I thought the thing was to get in through a lower level persons login. Then again I've known VP's that use their initials and 123456.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2014-12-05, 16:38

InTenSity wrote:

Their knee's what?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2014-12-06, 00:43

Threatening others with real nuclear weapons I can't condone. Cyber-nuking places like Sony makes me chuckle though.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-06, 09:57

Sony hit again, employee families threatened, files released
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-06, 16:33

"It's your false if you if you think this crisis will be over after some time."
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-08, 10:30

Inside the “wiper” malware that brought Sony Pictures to its knees [Update]

The inside knowledge of Sony Pictures' network infers that attackers either had inside help, or had a long-running penetration of Sony's network. Sean Sullivan, security advisor at F-Secure, said, "My bet is on a “watering hole attack” (or perhaps spear phishing) rather than an inside job." He also said that while North Korea's involvement "seems implausible," it's still a possibility, as "we now live in 'interesting times.'"
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-08, 10:41

A Look Through The Sony Pictures Data Hack: This Is As Bad As It Gets

The data dump includes employee criminal background checks, salary negotiations, and doctors’ letters explaining the medical rationale for leaves of absence. There are spreadsheets containing the salaries of 6,800 global employees, along with Social Security numbers for 3,500 U.S. staff.

Idiots:

One of the files leaked this weekend was a Word document titled “Passwords” that contained an executive’s computer, LotusNotes, and American Express usernames and passwords, as well as Amex credit card numbers, expiration dates, and four-digit security codes.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-17, 10:42

Now they're threatening terrorist attacks on theaters. Okay little fellas, fun's over. Time to deploy countermeasures.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/2014/12/17/nyc-premiere-rogen-film-canceled-threats-fly/0hpuw5rpaKWsnZsytyX8zM/story.html
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-18, 13:23

I'd like to see some incredulity from Rogan. I know he wants to do it. Homie needs to go in T.V. and say "fuck North Korea". And Sony needs to hire some badasses to embarass them in a very public way.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-18, 13:53

This whole thing is just weird. So now movies in the US need approval from all country leaders?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-12-18, 14:13

I wasn't going to see it until it comes out on Netflix anyway, but once all the hoopla started I wanted to go see it at the theater because fuck terrorists and I visualize myself gong Rambo on their assess. That being said, if I was hurt in a terrorist attack, I'd probably be a hypocritical complainer about lack of adequate security because fuck Rambo and I'm really just a loudmouth pussy.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-18, 14:18

InTenSity wrote:This whole thing is just weird. So now movies in the US need approval from all country leaders?

I don't see this standing.  There will be a response, but think about what's happened here, it's unprecedented in a hundred ways.  Just brainstorming:

A sovereign country is treating a multinational corporation like another nation by declaring war on it. This opens up all sorts of questions about what Sony can do in response with impunity from the countries in which it does business. Can it mount a response? It certainly has the resources. Would countries where it resides let it respond without repercussions?

What of the repercussions? If there are none, or if Sony tries to mount some and is stopped by the governments of the countries where it does business, what kind of precedent does this set? That anyone with access to the internet and enough money to hire high end hackers can do whatever they want to private corporations without any recourse? If Sony does respond, what kind of precedent is that? That private corporations can engage with governments as if they are equals? What if the U.S. responds? Then are the U.S. government's cyber security resources some kind of tool that can be used to bolster corporate interests?

It has been largely unspoken, but known that cyber security is mostly a joke at many, if not most major corporations. This hack has opened a pandora's box in my opinion. It's going to be the furthering of the multinational corporation acting more independently from any government and more like a sovereign entity than ever before. I have visions of Blade Runner, or that old video game Deux Ex.

You see I'm fascinated by this... I think it's a watershed moment, that we're not fully conscious of as a society yet.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-18, 16:41

Rocinante wrote:

I don't see this standing.  There will be a response, but think about what's happened here, it's unprecedented in a hundred ways.  Just brainstorming:

A sovereign country is treating a multinational corporation like another nation by declaring war on it. This opens up all sorts of questions about what Sony can do in response with impunity from the countries in which it does business. Can it mount a response? It certainly has the resources. Would countries where it resides let it respond without repercussions?

What of the repercussions? If there are none, or if Sony tries to mount some and is stopped by the governments of the countries where it does business, what kind of precedent does this set? That anyone with access to the internet and enough money to hire high end hackers can do whatever they want to private corporations without any recourse? If Sony does respond, what kind of precedent is that? That private corporations can engage with governments as if they are equals? What if the U.S. responds? Then are the U.S. government's cyber security resources some kind of tool that can be used to bolster corporate interests?

It has been largely unspoken, but known that cyber security is mostly a joke at many, if not most major corporations. This hack has opened a pandora's box in my opinion. It's going to be the furthering of the multinational corporation acting more independently from any government and more like a sovereign entity than ever before. I have visions of Blade Runner, or that old video game Deux Ex.

You see I'm fascinated by this... I think it's a watershed moment, that we're not fully conscious of as a society yet.

Newt Gingrich can be a blowhard bit he had a good take today about how he considered this America's first 'cyber' war and considers it a defeat for us because it has scared Americans out of doing a normal activity, instilled irrational fear, and it has caused millions in economic loss in America.

Now, whether you agree with all of that or not, I do consider this warfare against USA. It is cyber warfare for sure. They accomplished their goals of affecting the US economy and affecting Americans lives.

I just hope we are secretly trying to fuck them over with some cyber shit too.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-18, 16:45

I guess I don't consider it against the US, because They specifically attacked a multinational corporation, but I do agree this is just the beginning.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-18, 16:47

Rocinante wrote:I guess I don't consider it against the US, because They specifically attacked a multinational corporation, but I do agree this is just the beginning.

Yeah, I mean you can argue either way because it did affect Americans but it wasn't directly aimed at an American entity.

These very well may be the first shots fired of a totally new kind of warfare.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-12-18, 17:49

Read that theaters planned to show Team America in the slots that the Interview was going to take. Now those are canceled too. WTF? Weaaaaaaak.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-18, 17:52

KOREA HAS DEMONSTRABLE ITS GREAT POWER! YOU ARE MISTAKE IF YOU THINK KOREA WILL NOT SEIZE YOUR ASSETS AND TAKE YOUR CHILDRENS. THEN YOUR WIFE WILL SEE HOW STRONG KOREA IS AND ASK TO BE ITS SLAVE BECAUSE SLAVE TO KOREA BETTER THAN WIFE TO YOU. ALL YOUR COMPANIES ARE BELONG TO US!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-12-18, 18:15

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Read that theaters planned to show Team America in the slots that the Interview was going to take. Now those are canceled too. WTF? Weaaaaaaak.

Lame
https://deadline.com/2014/12/paramount-cancel-team-america-1201329597/
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2014-12-18, 20:36

boring.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-12-30, 13:01

New Research Blames Insiders, Not North Korea, for Sony Hack
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-12-30, 13:04

CORNER BLITZ wrote:New Research Blames Insiders, Not North Korea, for Sony Hack

Isn't that kind of embarrassing ?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-30, 13:06

Hmmm. Just shows what a wild west the internet is. So called experts can't even agree on who did it. And yet we all keep our financial information all over it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down