Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kentucky is ruining college hoops this year

+7
Other Teams Pursuing That
The Pantry
steveschneider
NigelUno
Bizarro Fletch
Snake Plissken
Frank Ricard
11 posters

Go down

Kentucky is ruining college hoops this year Empty Kentucky is ruining college hoops this year

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-12-20, 15:57

This game is over before it starts. Nobody is going to beat them. But NONE of these guys playing are anything remotely college athletes. How they can get away with players purposely funneled to UK so they don't have to go to college to play just ruins what this game is supposed to be.

I like our team, but we'd be lucky to score against this
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Kentucky is ruining college hoops this year Empty Re: Kentucky is ruining college hoops this year

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-12-20, 16:12

I agree
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Kentucky is ruining college hoops this year Empty Re: Kentucky is ruining college hoops this year

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-12-20, 16:27

41-7 at the half. Kentucky is ruining college hoops this year 1550444538
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-20, 16:43

Frank Ricard wrote:This game is over before it starts. Nobody is going to beat them. But NONE of these guys playing are anything remotely college athletes. How they can get away with players purposely funneled to UK so they don't have to go to college to play just ruins what this game is supposed to be.

We beat Kentucky last year.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-12-20, 16:54

Frank Ricard wrote:This game is over before it starts. Nobody is going to beat them. But NONE of these guys playing are anything remotely college athletes. How they can get away with players purposely funneled to UK so they don't have to go to college to play just ruins what this game is supposed to be.

I've grown to really like Kentucky. I admire how honest Calipari is with his players and how he plays the NCAA for what it is.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-12-20, 18:29

steveschneider wrote:

I've grown to really like Kentucky. I admire how honest Calipari is with his players and how he plays the NCAA for what it is.

IF by honest you mean go to UK and you don't have to attend class or make any attempt at being a student, they yes, I'll agree Calipari is a dick.

This one and done is complete bullshit. UK is just a D league franchise. That's fine, but don't compete at the collegiate level.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-12-20, 19:37

Frank Ricard wrote:

IF by honest you mean go to UK and you don't have to attend class or make any attempt at being a student, they yes, I'll agree Calipari is a dick.

This one and done is complete bullshit. UK is just a D league franchise. That's fine, but don't compete at the collegiate level.

By honest, I like the transparency with his program because I think he's honest to the fans about what he expects of his players at Kentucky. Give me guys like Pete Carroll, Roy Williams, Jim Tressel and Calipari any day of the week over guys like Bo Schembechler, Bobby Knight, Jim Harbaugh or any other college coach that tries to act like his players go to class and do it the 'right way'.

I think the guys towards the end of that list are completely full of shit and I think they often get away with more stuff because people put too much trust into the myth that they run the program clean.

I'll give you a prime example:

"Play by the rules. You always want to be above reproach, especially when you're good, because you don't want people to come back and say, 'They're winning because they're cheating.' That's always going to be a knee-jerk reaction in my experience, ever since I was a little kid.

"We want to be above reproach in everything and do everything by the rules. Because if you don't, if you cheat to win, then you've already lost, according to Bo Schembechler. Bo Schembechler is about next to the word of God as you can get, in my mind. It's not the word of God, but it's close.''

That's great, and all but the problem is all the mindless fucks that are out there genuflecting at that bullshit. The reality is Harbaugh played Ray McDonald all season and just cut him when they got eliminated from the playoffs. As PT Barnum put it there's a sucker born every minute.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-12-20, 19:48

steveschneider wrote:

By honest, I like the transparency with his program because I think he's honest to the fans about what he expects of his players at Kentucky. Give me guys like Pete Carroll, Roy Williams, Jim Tressel and Calipari any day of the week over guys like Bo Schembechler, Bobby Knight, Jim Harbaugh or any other college coach that tries to act like his players go to class and do it the 'right way'.

I think the guys towards the end of that list are completely full of shit and I think they often get away with more stuff because people put too much trust into the myth that they run the program clean.

I'll give you a prime example:

"Play by the rules. You always want to be above reproach, especially when you're good, because you don't want people to come back and say, 'They're winning because they're cheating.' That's always going to be a knee-jerk reaction in my experience, ever since I was a little kid.

"We want to be above reproach in everything and do everything by the rules. Because if you don't, if you cheat to win, then you've already lost, according to Bo Schembechler. Bo Schembechler is about next to the word of God as you can get, in my mind. It's not the word of God, but it's close.''

That's great, and all but the problem is all the mindless fucks that are out there genuflecting at that bullshit. The reality is Harbaugh played Ray McDonald all season and just cut him when they got eliminated from the playoffs. As PT Barnum put it there's a sucker born every minute.

So what category would you put Izzo in?
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-12-20, 19:56

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

Izzo is his own category.  He makes everyone around him better

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-12-20, 20:01

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

The washed up one?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-12-20, 20:03

So we are going to pretend to care about the student part of student-athletes?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-12-20, 20:23

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

Some where in between. I'm sure there's a lot more shit that goes on than we know about at MSU, but at the same time he's walked the walk with Lucious and Allen.

Bottom line though, if you want to compete for championships that type of coaching won't fly in the era of the one and done cbb model. The elite talent does not want to study, they do not want to be held accountable for going to class and they want to get into the league because the compensation model of the NCAA is well below their market value.

I applaud Izzo for getting guy's like Nix and Appling to graduate, there's something to be said about that. Russel Byrd and Herzog represent the green and white well.  A guy like Calipari is giving poor kids a chance to make millions in about six months time. This day and age with the one and done, Calipari's the better coach if you care about winning and championships.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-12-20, 20:29

Have a friend that's a HUGE Notre Dame fan and he's always preaching that it's harder at ND because they go to class and are somehow more morally upright at that institution.

See, I HATE that type of shit. Give me a Pete Caroll led USC, where that guy knew his players were getting paid, cared about his guys and got them into the pros. Pete Caroll used to go into the ghetto and hang with gang members and tried to make a difference in their lives. Saw it all on 60 Minutes and the precincts data showed that his efforts were reducing crime in the area. I'll take that any day of the week over the bs myth of Bo Schembechler, ND, or any other 'clean' program that talks about doing it the 'right way'.

Pete Carroll > Bo Schembechler or Woody Hayes
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-12-20, 20:38

Turtleneck wrote:So we are going to pretend to care about the student part of student-athletes?
It's a noble concept.

Remember a starting DL that lived on my floor freshman year (Darryl Rogers era) walking down the hall asking people to help him with a take-home test
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-12-20, 20:48

The Pantry wrote:It's a noble concept.

Remember a starting DL that lived on my floor freshman year (Darryl Rogers era) walking down the hall asking people to help him with a take-home test

Hahaha. Love it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-12-20, 21:14

Turtleneck wrote:So we are going to pretend to care about the student part of student-athletes?

Shit I don't care just win.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-12-20, 21:23

DWags wrote:

Just win, and stay out of the papers/don't embarrass the school.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tig ol bitties 2014-12-20, 21:37

I'm at the point with college sports where I don't care about the "student" part of "student-athlete".

As long as they aren't doing illegal shit and are eligible academically, I don't care if they don't go to class, or get more help than they should on assignments.
tig ol bitties
tig ol bitties
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2014-12-20, 23:07

tig ol bitties wrote:I'm at the point with college sports where I don't care about the "student" part of "student-athlete".

As long as they aren't doing illegal shit and are eligible academically, I don't care if they don't go to class, or get more help than they should on assignments.

That's the difference between a "fan" and Izzo. He DOES care and if that means we can't be Kentucky I'm ok with that.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-12-20, 23:10

steveschneider wrote:

Just win, and stay out of the papers/don't embarrass the school.
Make 2.0 don't get arrested win games. If you can get a good degree and use it. If you can't stay eligible.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-20, 23:12

DWags wrote:

Hey!  That Wolly kid is like a 4.0 med student or some crap.  I mean...good for him, but I'd rather see somebody dunk it than listen to the announcers talk about GPAs.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down