Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article: What's wrong with MSU hoops

+4
Blanch32
The_Dude
DWags
InTenSity
8 posters

Go down

Article Article: What's wrong with MSU hoops

Post by InTenSity 2015-01-05, 09:21

I'm not sure who Hoops Habit is, but here is a decent article about MSU's issues.

I don't find the author to just belt out that MSU sucks, but more takes the route of pointing out where the issues are, and what needs to be done to correct them, or at least work on them. 

The Spartans are getting to the free throw line at their lowest rate while also making the least amount of free throws in the last decade. On the flip side, their opponents are consistently getting to the line and getting there late in games.
This was evident during the Maryland game, when there was only one bucket scored in double overtime for the Terrapins, but they still won due to free throw shooting.
As the trend has been all season, more than 74 percent of opponents free throw shooting comes after halftime. For Maryland all 32 free throw attempts were after the break. This means either Michigan State is fouling to keep the game close late in games or the Spartans are getting tired and playing lazy defense, not a typical staple of a Tom Izzo-coached team.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Article: What's wrong with MSU hoops

Post by DWags 2015-01-05, 11:26

Aren't we also taking more three's and outside shots? If we are, wouldn't that be a reason why our free throws are down?

We do suck at the line though. I think we might have two more victories if we were just average there. It's going to become psychological.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-01-05, 12:37

Getting to the free throw line has been a problem even for the most talented Izzo teams, like last year. And when we do get there, we seem to miss too many of them.

In reality, this is a down year talent wise, but when Dawson returned there was absolutely no reason this team shouldn't make the Dance. That is unless Dawson and Valentine--two guys who are supposed to be high level players--dont consistently play at a high level which is what has happened.

Denzel NEEDS to be THE GUY we go to. Not off balance fade away hack shots by Trice.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-01-05, 14:52

The_Dude wrote:Getting to the free throw line has been a problem even for the most talented Izzo teams, like last year. And when we do get there, we seem to miss too many of them.

In reality, this is a down year talent wise, but when Dawson returned there was absolutely no reason this team shouldn't make the Dance. That is unless Dawson and Valentine--two guys who are supposed to be high level players--dont consistently play at a high level which is what has happened.

Denzel NEEDS to be THE GUY we go to. Not off balance fade away hack shots by Trice.

Agreed on the last part. Trice's green light needs to be reduced to last years levels. Dude has the worst shot selection of the izzo era
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-01-05, 14:54

What's wrong will start to get fixed tonight.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-01-05, 16:31

NigelUno wrote:What's wrong will start to get fixed tonight.

It should. Iu is not very good
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-01-05, 19:15

NigelUno wrote:What's wrong will start to get fixed tonight.

The Izzone has been infiltrated:

Article: What's wrong with MSU hoops B6n-VkNIYAAtWka
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-01-05, 20:48

Nothing.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-05, 20:59

LoneWolfSparty wrote:Nothing.

Loss to Texas Southern was terrible. I get that. But where the other four losses all that bad? Each one came against  a team currently ranked in the top 15, and MSU was not horribly embarrassed in any of those four games.

Edit: ND just won @UNC.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-01-06, 08:19

The Dude can't be happy with last night's game. Poor fella. Maybe will get a hockey rant today.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-01-06, 08:27

I like what I saw last night. Watching the game, I guess I came to the conclusion, that its not the wins or the losses that bother me, but the amount of effort given. Last night the team was hustling for the ball and playing hard. Although it was a blowout, they didn't stop until maybe the last couple of minutes. Also, finally, Izzo didn't tell the team to let up with about 5 - 8 minutes left, even though they had a 20 point lead.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down