Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How costly is our cheap gas in the US?

2 posters

Go down

How costly is our cheap gas in the US? Empty How costly is our cheap gas in the US?

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:48 am

Gas has historically been cheap in the US, but at what cost?

This national refusal to increase gas taxes—which have gone unchanged at the federal level since 1993—has two enormous impacts on everyday life. The first is that drivers no longer cover the cost of road and bridge maintenance, as the gas tax originally intended. UC Davis scholar Mark Delucchi recently estimated that drivers fall short in this respect by 20 to 70 cents per gallon. General taxpayers have made up the resulting budget gap in recent years, whether they drive or not.

That's not a horrible injustice, since most Americans still travel by car. The far bigger problem is that America's gas taxes are too low to offset what economists call the "externalities" of driving. Don't let the word spook you; all it means is that driving creates all sorts of negative social impacts that aren't being compensated for: personal time and work productivity lost to traffic congestion, lives lost to car crashes, and health risks created by air pollution, to name just a few.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/01/the-real-reason-us-gas-is-so-cheap-is-americans-dont-pay-the-true-cost-of-driving/384200/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

How costly is our cheap gas in the US? Empty Re: How costly is our cheap gas in the US?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:52 am

I'm fortunate because I can get by without having a car.. there are times that it sucks and there are times that I borrow my wife's car.. but, for the most part, I think a lot of families could get by with at least one fewer car, especially those that live in a more urban area where a lot of services and amenities are either walkable, on a public transportation line or accessible another way (bike, etc)..

the benefits of us not having a superfluous car far outweigh the rare times where it would be convenient. Not only did we not have to buy a car, but we don't have to buy insurance, gas, pay for maintenance, tires, etc. And this doesn't even factor in the more broad issues of environmental impact, unnecessary traffic congestion, etc.

plus, it's hard to get a DUI walking home from The Peanut Barrel..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

How costly is our cheap gas in the US? Empty Re: How costly is our cheap gas in the US?

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:14 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
plus, it's hard to get a DUI walking home from The Peanut Barrel..

Is that a challenge, Bob?

Sincerely,

How costly is our cheap gas in the US? Bilde?Site=A3&Date=20140303&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=303030042&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&MSU-student-files-lawsuit-against-malicious-East-Lansing-police-officers
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Anyway, you are fortunate. Many Americans could probably shed a car or simply drive less. However, we like our cars and we like to travel. While I say that I am skeptical about convincing Americans to drive less, most studies show that the most desirable places to live are communities that are walkable, feature safe bike lanes and have quality public transit. Overall it is funny how much we complain about the cost of gas but do not think about the costs of driving. We certainly like getting things on the cheap as much we like driving our cars.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:51 am

Turtleneck wrote:

Is that a challenge, Bob?

Sincerely,

How costly is our cheap gas in the US? Bilde?Site=A3&Date=20140303&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=303030042&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&MSU-student-files-lawsuit-against-malicious-East-Lansing-police-officers
How costly is our cheap gas in the US? 4198636888
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down