Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being...

+15
DWags
Herbie Green
Brock Middlebrook
Robert J Sakimano
Marc Summers
The_Dude
Cym Jim
Cameron
xsanguine
Other Teams Pursuing That
Blanch32
Turtleneck
Watch Out Pylon!
Rocinante
Heat Miser
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being... Empty The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being...

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-19, 19:18

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being... Pwuecddaoibyrbgarekv
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being... Empty Re: The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being...

Post by Rocinante 2015-02-19, 19:26

Every time I fly to the Midwest this is evident.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being... Empty Re: The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being...

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-02-19, 20:11

Didn't we just have a Michigan sucks thread yesterday?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-19, 20:19

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Didn't we just have a Michigan sucks thread yesterday?

It was a GR sucks thread.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-19, 20:49

Albequery here I come!

But seriously how is Texas on that list after the oil drop and # of fatties?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-19, 20:51

Blanch32 wrote:Albequery here I come!

But seriously how is Texas on that list after the oil drop and # of fatties?

Austin.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-02-19, 23:39

Alaska doin work
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-19, 23:40

xsanguine wrote:Alaska doin work

Are we sure about that one?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-02-19, 23:43

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Are we sure about that one?

Never disagree with the map.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2015-02-20, 00:56

I could never live in Alaska. Don't they have periods where they have like 2 hours of daylight? Fuck that noise.

Michigan kind of fucking sucks though. I've lived here my whole life, but I'm pretty goddamn tired of the winter and the cold and the snow. One of my best friends from high school lives in Sacramento, and that shit seems pretty good right about now.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-02-20, 01:34

Cameron wrote:I could never live in Alaska. Don't they have periods where they have like 2 hours of daylight? Fuck that noise.

Michigan kind of fucking sucks though. I've lived here my whole life, but I'm pretty goddamn tired of the winter and the cold and the snow. One of my best friends from high school lives in Sacramento, and that shit seems pretty good right about now.

I feel ya (no homo). Alaska is right up my alley, I'd love to go backpacking/fishing up there for a week or two, but certainly during those extremely cold, extremely dark times it'd be challenging to live there year round.

I enjoyed my time in Phoenix, but the hot is difficult for someone not acclimated to it. When it's cold I can put on more layers... when it's hot (was 115 when I visited during the month of May), well, you can only get so naked. The 80 degree nights were pretty nice, though.

I think Albuquerque would be a cool place to live. The west already has water issues, though, and that sort of thing is going to amplify going forward. Plus everyone is moving out there and I just don't like crowdedness. Seems like people are leaving Michigan, too, so it seems like a win-win for me.

I guess cold doesn't really bother me that much and I love snow. There comes a point where it gets old but usually by that time that sets in it starts to change.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2015-02-20, 02:29

Didn't bother researching the methodology, but NM being highly ranked is quite odd. That state is seriously ****ed up - awful schools, terrible drug-gang-native-mexican issues etc. - problems like you wouldn't believe in the Midwest. I have a couple of projects in Albuquerque, and while it's fun to visit and drink with the kooks in old town, there are way too many people who are dangerously ****ed up there. You learn very quickly that every chill person who strikes up a conversation with you at the bar has a 90% chance of trying to steal your shit. Santa Fe is less that way, but the schools are still shit. But my god, head down to Roswell, Carlsbad, Las Cruces - not places you'd want to raise your kids. Scary as Fuck. I would encourage any of you Michiganders to take a trip down there and see what you think.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-02-20, 02:35

I could never live in Alaska Neutral
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-02-20, 02:41

Cym Jim wrote:Didn't bother researching the methodology, but NM being highly ranked is quite odd. That state is seriously ****ed up - awful schools, terrible drug-gang-native-mexican issues etc. - problems like you wouldn't believe in the Midwest. I have a couple of projects in Albuquerque, and while it's fun to visit and drink with the kooks in old town, there are way too many people who are dangerously ****ed up there. You learn very quickly that every chill person who strikes up a conversation with you at the bar has a 90% chance of trying to steal your shit. Santa Fe is less that way, but the schools are still shit. But my god, head down to Roswell, Carlsbad, Las Cruces - not places you'd want to raise your kids. Scary as Fuck. I would encourage any of you Michiganders to take a trip down there and see what you think.

Yah we've all seen Breaking Bad
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-02-20, 02:46

Cym Jim wrote:Didn't bother researching the methodology, but NM being highly ranked is quite odd. That state is seriously ****ed up - awful schools, terrible drug-gang-native-mexican issues etc. - problems like you wouldn't believe in the Midwest. I have a couple of projects in Albuquerque, and while it's fun to visit and drink with the kooks in old town, there are way too many people who are dangerously ****ed up there. You learn very quickly that every chill person who strikes up a conversation with you at the bar has a 90% chance of trying to steal your shit. Santa Fe is less that way, but the schools are still shit. But my god, head down to Roswell, Carlsbad, Las Cruces - not places you'd want to raise your kids. Scary as Fuck. I would encourage any of you Michiganders to take a trip down there and see what you think.

Is Albuquerque worse or better than Phoenix (the kidnapping capital of the US)?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-20, 11:19

Cameron wrote:I could never live in Alaska. Don't they have periods where they have like 2 hours of daylight? Fuck that noise.

All Alaskans get a pipeline check from the state every year. I'm sure that doesn't hurt. They've got some pretty nice scenery too.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-20, 11:36

There is something interesting about that top five. Cross those states with population (from largest state to smallest) and here is what you find:

Alaska is ranked 47/50
Hawaii is ranked 42/50
South Dakota is ranked 46/50
Wyoming is ranked 50/50
Montana is ranked 44/50

So is happiness about space? The top five are mong the least populated states in the country.

However, this whole thing is odd. These are the top five states where people are most happy? Really? Because when I crossed that list with adult suicides per state, here is what I found:

Alaska is ranked 2nd.
Hawaii is ranked in the bottom half of states.
South Dakota is ranked 14th.
Wyoming is ranked 1st.
Montana is ranked 3rd.

So, Wyoming, Alaska, and Montana are among the top five states were people are most happy but they are also 1,2,3 in adult suicides. Is there a study that lists the most bipolar states?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-02-20, 11:50

Turtleneck wrote:There is something interesting about that top five. Cross those states with population (from largest state to smallest) and here is what you find:

Alaska is ranked 47/50
Hawaii is ranked 42/50
South Dakota is ranked 46/50
Wyoming is ranked 50/50
Montana is ranked 44/50

So is happiness about space? The top five are mong the least populated states in the country.

However, this whole thing is odd. These are the top five states where people are most happy? Really? Because when I crossed that list with adult suicides per state, here is what I found:

Alaska is ranked 2nd.
Hawaii is ranked in the bottom half of states.
South Dakota is ranked 14th.
Wyoming is ranked 1st.
Montana is ranked 3rd.

So, Wyoming, Alaska, and Montana are among the top five states were people are most happy but they are also 1,2,3 in adult suicides. Is there a study that lists the most bipolar states?

All the sad people have killed themselves. Only happy people are left.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-20, 11:59

Clearly!
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-02-20, 12:16

Yeah, Michigan sucks. It's probably the best place out of those "horrible" places, but we also have the worst winter out of them. Moving down south soon.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-20, 15:15

Marc Summers wrote:Yeah, Michigan sucks. It's probably the best place out of those "horrible" places, but we also have the worst winter out of them. Moving down south soon.

Where you thinking? There is good south and very bad south
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-02-20, 15:17

Marc Summers wrote:Yeah, Michigan sucks. It's probably the best place out of those "horrible" places, but we also have the worst winter out of them. Moving down south soon.

Your mom got a job at Chic-Fil-A?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-20, 15:18

Blanch32 wrote:

Where you thinking? There is good south and very bad south

You guys would make great roommates.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-02-20, 15:24

I can't wait to move my family from the grisly, appalling hell hole that is Michigan to the charming paragon of welcoming virtue that is Texas.. I'd really like to thank this map for opening up my eyes to how bad my life in Michigan is..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-20, 16:08

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I can't wait to move my family from the grisly, appalling hell hole that is Michigan to the charming paragon of welcoming virtue that is Texas.. I'd really like to thank this map for opening up my eyes to how bad my life in Michigan is..

You needed a map to tell you that?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-02-20, 16:17

There are a ton of suicides here. I know one person in Michigan that killed himself and I lived there for 28 years. I know 3 people that have killed themselves here and I've been here since 2011. I think the methodology is screwed.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2015-02-20, 17:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I can't wait to move my family from the grisly, appalling hell hole that is Michigan to the charming paragon of welcoming virtue that is Texas.. I'd really like to thank this map for opening up my eyes to how bad my life in Michigan is..

In case you're on the fence, here are some more...

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being... 1398698400000-Stereotype-Map-of-GR

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being... Tumblr_nal4p9J0151s4df8ko1_1280
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-02-20, 17:35

Brock Middlebrook wrote:

The Best and Worst States When It Comes to Your General Well-Being... 1398698400000-Stereotype-Map-of-GR

If this is even remotely accurate it's very helpful.

GR natives, how accurate is this?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-02-20, 18:26

Blanch32 wrote:

Where you thinking?  There is good south and very bad south

Right now, I'd say Atlanta is the most realistic. A couple good friends already live there, and I'd have a pretty great social circle from day one. I'm also visiting Charlotte in a few weeks and will probably do some exploring.

I don't feel like dealing with Winter anymore, and would move to California but don't think quality of life is worth the cost. The south has most of the Cali benefits and you can live in a sick place in Atlanta for like $1200/month. Hot southern girls, and have a couple solid leads on six figure jobs that my buddy hooked me up with.

I'll eventually have to come back to Michigan to take over my dad's company, but a few years down south will do me right.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-02-20, 22:00

Open spaces and sunshine are what makes me happy
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-02-21, 00:52

I like to fish, I like to water ski, I like to snow ski. I love the spring after the winter and sitting on the red dock in the Summer in Saugatuck and having a beer with friends on a 76 degree summer day. I love Michigan, but I have to tell you, this past week or so, I hate this place, you can take this weather and shove it up your ass. It's depressing and I just hated doing anything. I can see where some of that comes from and yes, the midwest can be horrible, especially in the winter.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-21, 01:00

DWags wrote:I like to fish, I like to water ski, I like to snow ski. I love the spring after the winter and sitting on the red dock in the Summer in Saugatuck and having a beer with friends on a 76 degree summer day. I love Michigan, but I have to tell you, this past week or so, I hate this place, you can take this weather and shove it up your ass. It's depressing and I just hated doing anything. I can see where some of that comes from and yes, the midwest can be horrible, especially in the winter.

I like having one set of clothes that is always in play. I like not having to warm up my car...ever. I like not having to shovel or rake things. I like roads that rarely need repairs. I like a population that isn't mostly white...or English only speaking. I love to visit Michigan in the summer (and for a week at Christmas), but I absolutely don't miss it a bit from November thru March.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-02-21, 01:02

That's why America is such a beautiful place. So many different climates and terrains to fit anyone's desires.

You can live in and experience anything you want in terms of climate and never have to change citizenship.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-02-21, 01:31

Heat Miser wrote:

I like having one set of clothes that is always in play. I like not having to warm up my car...ever. I like not having to shovel or rake things. I like roads that rarely need repairs. I like a population that isn't mostly white...or English only speaking. I love to visit Michigan in the summer (and for a week at Christmas), but I absolutely don't miss it a bit from November thru March.

Understand. But how weird you might think it to be, I love to rake. Used to love playing with the kids in the back yard in the piles, stuff I'll never forget great funny memories and some of my favorite framed pictures in my house of them in the leaves. Hated shoveling when I was young, enjoy it now, I have a snow blower, like doing that. To be sure, I'm tired of it at this point. Also, there is nothing like March to me. Going to watch the Spartans somewhere, the winter breaking renewal in the air, baseball and track season starting, working out outside stuff like that. I'm weird in that I really do enjoy four seasons, Fall is my favorite, and I get sick of winter. Wish it was only a month, but it does indeed get depressing. No doubt aobut that. I' into the four season, I know I'm in a huge minority including my wife and kids.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2015-02-21, 10:16

Winter has finally broken me. I decided my next job will be in North Carolina and will focus on getting into Charlotte. Born and raised in Michigan but Jesus it's depressing as hell for 6 months a year. It gets old fast.
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-02-21, 10:26

xsanguine wrote:

Never disagree with the map.

After a massive poll spanning from January to December last year, each U.S. state was given an index score between 0 and 100 representing the general well-being of the state's population. The score is based on five different metrics including a resident's sense of purpose, their social lives, their financial security, their feeling of community, and their physical health. All things that are important when it comes to maintaining your happiness.

Question I'm just curious how they measured these things. Not curious enough, mind you, to go digging and find out -- it just seems like a bunch of subjective measures.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-02-21, 10:42

Stoops21 wrote:Winter has finally broken me. I decided my next job will be in North Carolina and will focus on getting into Charlotte. Born and raised in Michigan but Jesus it's depressing as hell for 6 months a year. It gets old fast.

That's what I'm saying. I don't mind Winter for a little while, but when the temp is below 20 with overnight lows below zero every day for a month, it just feels like a waste of life. I've actually managed to keep a good workout schedule so I've remained in good spirits, but this is just no way to live.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2015-02-21, 11:29

Marc Summers wrote:

That's what I'm saying. I don't mind Winter for a little while, but when the temp is below 20 with overnight lows below zero every day for a month, it just feels like a waste of life. I've actually managed to keep a good workout schedule so I've remained in good spirits, but this is just no way to live.
Luckily my gym is close by but my god 2 months of below 32 and constantly staying in single digits? You can see it on everyone's faces as soon as Halloween ends. 4 months of dog shit haha
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-21, 12:36

Stoops21 wrote:Winter has finally broken me. I decided my next job will be in North Carolina and will focus on getting into Charlotte. Born and raised in Michigan but Jesus it's depressing as hell for 6 months a year. It gets old fast.

Excellent!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-21, 12:55

DWags wrote:I like to fish, I like to water ski, I like to snow ski. I love the spring after the winter and sitting on the red dock in the Summer in Saugatuck and having a beer with friends on a 76 degree summer day. I love Michigan, but I have to tell you, this past week or so, I hate this place, you can take this weather and shove it up your ass. It's depressing and I just hated doing anything. I can see where some of that comes from and yes, the midwest can be horrible, especially in the winter.

Yes you can do all that in nc as well. Plus hotter chicks by far
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next